Jump to content

Restaurant/food thread


iHeart

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

Is that the same as the Kings in Westwood? Same thoughts, if so. The shawarma was good but the fries are over seasoned.

Yup same place different/new location.   

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

eh close enough I did say I wanted something from the Waverly end of town down here

May be an image of text that says 'FIREHOUSE SUBS Join Our Team! Coming Soon FIREHOUSE ..SUBS. Coming Soon Follow on Instagram: @FirehouseSubsMB FIREHOUSE SUBS Follow on Instagram: @FirehouseSubsMB'

 

 

Where is this new location?  My friends have raved about the one near Ikea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MrFreakzilla said:

Practically right in the middle of the 5 Subways in the area. I'll definitely check it out when they open up.

no I think it's three one near scotiabank, one near sobey's and the other one's at KP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

no I think it's three one near scotiabank, one near sobey's and the other one's at KP

One on McLeod, one on Concordia.

From my experience the best sandwiches come out of McLeod but now having moved out of the area I choose between the two in Selkirk and the one by Walmart is the better of the two. Especially when the overly happy older woman is working, she is a true sandwich artist.

Just now, GCJenks said:

One on McLeod, one on Concordia.

From my experience the best sandwiches come out of McLeod but now having moved out of the area I choose between the two in Selkirk and the one by Walmart is the better of the two. Especially when the overly happy older woman is working, she is a true sandwich artist.

One on Munroe by Giant Tiger too.

Edited by GCJenks
spelling
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, iHeart said:

no I think it's three one near scotiabank, one near sobey's and the other one's at KP

4 currently (Nairn by Shapes, Regent by Fat Burger, KP food court & Reenders by Famous Daves) - the 5th was inside Home Depot but it's gone (google maps still shows it though).  The one on Concordia could be the 5th as it's less than 5 minutes away from the one on Reenders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

4 currently (Nairn by Shapes, Regent by Fat Burger, KP food court & Reenders by Famous Daves) - the 5th was inside Home Depot but it's gone (google maps still shows it though).  The one on Concordia could be the 5th as it's less than 5 minutes away from the one on Reenders.

Yeah I was referring to a certain radius length (meaning not the Monroe location) kind of weird that we have more Subways than Starbucks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GCJenks said:

One on McLeod, one on Concordia.

From my experience the best sandwiches come out of McLeod but now having moved out of the area I choose between the two in Selkirk and the one by Walmart is the better of the two. Especially when the overly happy older woman is working, she is a true sandwich artist.

One on Munroe by Giant Tiger too.

McLeod is usually quick and accurate,  the only issue I've had is that they over cook the cookies sometimes.     

East St Paul has a good Subway that never has any lines and I've never had any hockey puck cookies at that location.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brandon said:

McLeod is usually quick and accurate,  the only issue I've had is that they over cook the cookies sometimes.     

East St Paul has a good Subway that never has any lines and I've never had any hockey puck cookies at that location.  

I never get the cookies. I am usually more concerned with the handling of the GF Bun and McLeod would be the best in the area at that, although I have tried all 7 of the nearby locations, of the 4 I have they have the best service and turn out the best results for me. ESP would be a destination for us and it wouldn't include Subway, I would be going to Birdshill for Jonesy's.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GCJenks said:

One on McLeod, one on Concordia.

From my experience the best sandwiches come out of McLeod but now having moved out of the area I choose between the two in Selkirk and the one by Walmart is the better of the two. Especially when the overly happy older woman is working, she is a true sandwich artist.

One on Munroe by Giant Tiger too.

Another beside Leon's across from K.P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, GCJenks said:

I never get the cookies. I am usually more concerned with the handling of the GF Bun and McLeod would be the best in the area at that, although I have tried all 7 of the nearby locations, of the 4 I have they have the best service and turn out the best results for me. ESP would be a destination for us and it wouldn't include Subway, I would be going to Birdshill for Jonesy's.

Sometimes I wonder if the cookies are underbaked

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I finally got to try St Louis bar and grill those were some good wedge fries (I wish they weren't out of garlic sticks) and then I found out that DSpot was a few steps away....but that will be for another day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

And you're right I'm not but so many people have fond memories (my mother included) I'm not sure if my mother remembers the drinks more

I remember going to the Regent location and it was always busy and it was your standard tex-mex which at the time was good since back in the 80's Winnipeg didn't have nearly the amount of diverse food options.   I remember them using super soakers and shooting Tequila into peoples mouthes. 

The owner sold his franchises in town and the people/group who took over had no idea how to run a restaurant and destroyed the business within a few years.  Eventually the new owners lost the franchise and changed the name to something else (name escapes me) and the place closed soon after.   

In the States during the early 2000's Chi-chi's had e-coli at several restaurants or something along those lines and the company died.  Eventually someone used the name to sell Salsa and Chips and I used to see it at the grocery stores in Fargo.   

Modern day if you go to Paradiso in the States it is kind of close to the same experience as Chi Chi's. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I remember going to the Regent location and it was always busy and it was your standard tex-mex which at the time was good since back in the 80's Winnipeg didn't have nearly the amount of diverse food options.   I remember them using super soakers and shooting Tequila into peoples mouthes. 

The owner sold his franchises in town and the people/group who took over had no idea how to run a restaurant and destroyed the business within a few years.  Eventually the new owners lost the franchise and changed the name to something else (name escapes me) and the place closed soon after.   

In the States during the early 2000's Chi-chi's had e-coli at several restaurants or something along those lines and the company died.  Eventually someone used the name to sell Salsa and Chips and I used to see it at the grocery stores in Fargo.   

Modern day if you go to Paradiso in the States it is kind of close to the same experience as Chi Chi's. 

so you're saying the line of food isn't connected to the restaurant chain despite using the same logo (btw one of the Kelvin's Perk's in Saskatchewan is selling the salsa that's why I brought it up)

Edited by iHeart
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, iHeart said:

so you're saying the line of food isn't connected to the restaurant chain despite using the same logo (btw one of the Kelvin's Perk's is selling the salsa that's why I brought it up)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-Chi's

It has the full story of who owns what on wiki.     Apparently it was Hep-A outbreak!  I can see why they never recovered from that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, iHeart said:

so you're saying the line of food isn't connected to the restaurant chain despite using the same logo (btw one of the Kelvin's Perk's in Saskatchewan is selling the salsa that's why I brought it up)

I’m pretty sure you can buy the chips and salsa at the Red River Coop stores, Southdale or Grant Park at least I think. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...