Bombers Release Thorpe

Booch

3 hours ago, jazzsax said:

typical ridert crap. they are already prepping to be playing winnipeg in the WSF. 

Picture this, Jones sees a formation and what he got from Thorpe tells him it's a screen to Dressler. So he does his flying bird thing and to his surprise Harris rips a 25 yarder. Karma

6 hours ago, Dr. Blue said:

Yeah but going to the Riders ensures that he will just be moved to the 6 game IR and collect a full paycheck...

Didn't they 6-game Roosevelt? I'm sure Thorpe is going to get a look and if he performs as well as he did here he might earn a regular spot in spite of their depth of receivers. 

So the posters here that **** all over Thorpe's character must feel justified knowing he is now with scumbags like Duron Carter and Chris Jones. I imagine there'd be some nervous tension if Thorpe plays against us in the WSF.

2 hours ago, J5V said:

So the posters here that **** all over Thorpe's character must feel justified knowing he is now with scumbags like Duron Carter and Chris Jones. I imagine there'd be some nervous tension if Thorpe plays against us in the WSF.

I want the away side to make Thorpe wish he never came back to IGF if the Riders' play us in the WSF.

Thorpe is a solid young player and given recent injuries a good pickup.  Carter is only under contract until the end of the season,  Roosevelt has suffered some concerning head injuries and Owens is both old and injury prone. 

Thorpe will look good at TC next season if he doesn't crack the lineup this season but given all the injuries he could.

10 hours ago, J5V said:

I'd be incredibly happy to see Thorpe b/c it likely means Roosevelt isn't playing.

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

I'd be incredibly happy to see Thorpe b/c it likely means Roosevelt isn't playing.

Good point and if Thorpe does play I hope he does well as long as we win. 

4 hours ago, mfranc said:

Thorpe is a solid young player and given recent injuries a good pickup.  Carter is only under contract until the end of the season,  Roosevelt has suffered some concerning head injuries and Owens is both old and injury prone. 

Thorpe will look good at TC next season if he doesn't crack the lineup this season but given all the injuries he could.

You gotta assume Carter will be re-signed though, right?

2 minutes ago, mfranc said:

If he's in the CFL I think he'll be with the Riders.  One thing I know for sure Jones won't pay Bowman money for him.

True. 250k-275k for Carter? No way. But one thing going for the riders is I don't see too much of a demand. 

Bombers: no way oshea wants him. 

Edmonton: too many high prices receivers as is.

Calgary: no way they're going to be bring in a guy with a big attitude to rock their boat.

BC: hard to say. Maybe. Dark horse to put in a bid. 

Montreal: he's banished.

Ottawa: possible, but doubtful.

Toronto: Trestman won't want him.

Hamilton: they tried hiring a rapist so actually they'll probably make a big push for him.

So really it's down to 2, 3 teams.  Carter won't have that much bargaining power 

2 hours ago, mfranc said:

If he's in the CFL I think he'll be with the Riders.  One thing I know for sure Jones won't pay Bowman money for him.

Money doesn't seem to be a concern for the Riders. Jones seems to have taken the position that they are willing to pay the fines and the rules be damned.

11 minutes ago, Judd said:

You gotta assume Carter will be re-signed though, right?

Why would you assume that. About the only thing one can assume with DC is that he is wildly unpredictable. Whether he signs with the Riders or not will depend on which way the wind is blowing on that particular day.

4 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

Nobody will. The guy is still a major league head case.

With his talent some may take a chance.  Can't give him much upfront money but the guy has ridiculous talent.

Anyway, the Thorpe signing is a good signing for the Riders looking ahead to next season.

Edited by mfranc

1 minute ago, gcn11 said:

Sure does...but he's locker room cancer. It's why Jones will not pursue him hard in the offseason imo.

He's popular with many of his teammates.  Witness the reaction after he scored his pick six.

There are a lot of guys that love him.

2 minutes ago, mfranc said:

He's popular with many of his teammates.  Witness the reaction after he scored his pick six.

There are a lot of guys that love him.

They loved his pick 6. Why wouldn't they. Everyone loved him in Montreal too....until he was cut  and the truth came out. I honestly hope the Riders do sign him because he will cost them a fortune and he is, and always will be, a ticking time bomb to any dressing room he is a part of.

Edited by gcn11

18 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

They loved his pick 6. Why wouldn't they. Everyone loved him in Montreal too....until he was cut  and the truth came out. I honestly hope the Riders do sign him because he will cost them a fortune and he is, and always will be, a ticking time bomb to any dressing room he is a part of.

No other coach in the CFL would be willing to babysit Carter or put up with his weekly antics, thus there will be no real demand for his services.  He may get paid to play but it won't be for much more than mid-level receiver wages.  NFL coaches will show even less interest in his me-me-me attitude.