Some Positives

13 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Positives for me from last night:

The crowd was absolutely awesome through 30 minutes of play .. we were into the game .. the atmosphere at IGF was amazing.  Winnipeg fans are passionate. The team needs to consistently deliver for them when playing at home.

Normand has some under-rated hands. He's a FB who doesn't touch the ball often but he catches everything that comes to him even if he's going to get blown up. Couple of tidy grabs last night as well.

The interior of the DL is fantastic this year. You don't move those guys easily and it's helped shore up our run defence in a significant way.

The guy sitting two rows in front of me who completely lost his mind when O'Shea was forced to challenge that illegal contact (mugging) on Harris. You sir were bloody amazing.

IMG_4792.PNG

I was saying to my dad yesterday I was surprised after 8 mins gone in the first there had been no flags thrown.  As the game went on there were a few times I felt there should have been flags thrown, but weren't, such as that play Harris got tackled immediately before the ball was thrown to him, and then on another 2 plays, 1. where nichols was thrown to the ground after the whistle blew, and the other when Nichols took a shot to the chin from the defenders helmet.

Perhaps a memo was sent out to be less flag happy, but not calling some blatant ones was a little frustrating

Yup, not too many positives to take outta 9th (YES, u read that right...NINTH!) straight loss at home to Stamps.  I said to my buddy at outset of second half; "I've got a dire prediction..." He goes: "K, let's hear it". I say: "going out on a limb here to say O'Shea gets out coached by DD second half."

Half-time adjustments is where coaches earn their keep. Says here we got out-adjusted last night.

Badly.

And as good a guy as MOS is, if I'm Calgary, I'll take that matchup every time.

14 minutes ago, do or die said:

We missed on some stunts in the first game as well......not a well oiled machine yet..

stunts, twists, adjustments to 3 man front there is still work to do on the OL. We have the pieces, no doubt. Part of it could be the loss of wiley. We will have to see how the OL improves under costello on that stuff. We have good continuity on the OL, but we also have a really really REALLY young OL. Bryant is 31, but the rest average to about mid 20s with around 2 years of exp. Which only makes how well they played last year all the more phenomenal. The core of this OL could play together for 5+ years. If we keep them together, this time next year it will be beyond scary. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

He was on block and release plays most of the night. He was the release valve for nichols. Our offense doesnt deal well with pressure. It requires enough time to scan the field for the best of all the short routes for a chance to pick up a first down. calgary in the 2nd half did a great job of disturbing that. With pressure, showing and dropping, and moving coverage schemes around. 

The OL still has to pick up the blitz. You have to get a hand on a guy and you take the guy whose got the fastest route to the QB. Not just who ever lines up in the trench. And with the massive miss match we had on the OL last night vs the stamps tattered DL, they shouldnt have struggled to pick up the blitz. 

And whose job is it to make sure the O-line is schooled on how to pick up blitzes?

1 hour ago, tracker said:

And whose job is it to make sure the O-line is schooled on how to pick up blitzes?

coaching mostly. Generally you have a leader on the OL (normally the Centre) who calls out and communicates. 

I mentioned in another thread i think, that this OL is super young. And has lost coach wiley. Bryant is 31 with tons of experience. But the rest are mid 20 some things with an average of about 2 years experience. And they didnt have a full year starting together last year. All those things factored in the OL still has a lot of room to grow and improve. Which is a scary thought based on how talented these guys are. 

We will see if costello is a worthy successor to wiley. I dont see why he wouldnt be, and hope he grows into a great OL coach. This OL core still needs more time as a unit and they will get it im sure. 

As wiley also pointed out in that surely interview last year it isnt all on the OL. The ol has to pick up blitz etc, and block the fastest routes to the qb. But the rb has to make blocks, and pick up on blitz/drop/stunts etc the QB has to pick it up and know if he needs to roll, get rid of it etc. Its a team sport. The blue this year has struggled with assignments. And we saw some of that last year too. They could man handle a 4 man line, but when things get tricky other teams had some success. High level communication, switches, and 100% trust in every one else and the other offensive units is the last step in cohesion. In previous bad years we would have seen blame, cuts, benching, and out right weak links. This year they will work on it, cus they have the personnel. If they stay healthy, by late in the year this OL and harris et al will be the elite group at those aspects. 

9 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

coaching mostly. Generally you have a leader on the OL (normally the Centre) who calls out and communicates. 

I mentioned in another thread i think, that this OL is super young. And has lost coach wiley. Bryant is 31 with tons of experience. But the rest are mid 20 some things with an average of about 2 years experience. And they didnt have a full year starting together last year. All those things factored in the OL still has a lot of room to grow and improve. Which is a scary thought based on how talented these guys are. 

We will see if costello is a worthy successor to wiley. I dont see why he wouldnt be, and hope he grows into a great OL coach. This OL core still needs more time as a unit and they will get it im sure. 

As wiley also pointed out in that surely interview last year it isnt all on the OL. The ol has to pick up blitz etc, and block the fastest routes to the qb. But the rb has to make blocks, and pick up on blitz/drop/stunts etc the QB has to pick it up and know if he needs to roll, get rid of it etc. Its a team sport. The blue this year has struggled with assignments. And we saw some of that last year too. They could man handle a 4 man line, but when things get tricky other teams had some success. High level communication, switches, and 100% trust in every one else and the other offensive units is the last step in cohesion. In previous bad years we would have seen blame, cuts, benching, and out right weak links. This year they will work on it, cus they have the personnel. If they stay healthy, by late in the year this OL and harris et al will be the elite group at those aspects. 

LaPo seems to be neglecting the role of the FB to protect the QB far too much in favour of an extra receiver, didn't see Normand in the backfield very often.  On that play that Nichols got sacked hard from behind Harris had to decide which LB to block as Cgy. sent two, unfortunately he chose to block the wrong one and Nichols didn't see the backside LB coming.

4 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

LaPo seems to be neglecting the role of the FB to protect the QB far too much in favour of an extra receiver, didn't see Normand in the backfield very often.  On that play that Nichols got sacked hard from behind Harris had to decide which LB to block as Cgy. sent two, unfortunately he chose to block the wrong one and Nichols didn't see the backside LB coming.

we dont see that 2 back form very often. Instead we see a heavy set every once n a while or pinch WRs into TE type roles. More of normand and a 2back set with normand playing more of a H back type role would have helped. Personally id love to see us use packages more. Like normand as an H back, and bringing in an X factor type guy to run the dressler option hand off / toss / reverse, run some wr screens ideally return kicks as well. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

we dont see that 2 back form very often. Instead we see a heavy set every once n a while or pinch WRs into TE type roles. More of normand and a 2back set with normand playing more of a H back type role would have helped. Personally id love to see us use packages more. Like normand as an H back, and bringing in an X factor type guy to run the dressler option hand off / toss / reverse, run some wr screens ideally return kicks as well. 

I hate to wish ill on a player's NFL aspirations but if Quincy McDuffie gets cut by the Cowboys this would be a perfect role for him.

21 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

I hate to wish ill on a player's NFL aspirations but if Quincy McDuffie gets cut by the Cowboys this would be a perfect role for him.

18 minutes ago, Floyd said:

He was cut a long time ago...

yep hes fishing for a contract still. Id love to see mcduffie back and in that role, being used well. 

On 7/8/2017 at 0:11 AM, Taynted_Fayth said:

Tried Famous Dave's out in the tailgate area, the pulled pork sandwich was good

Tried Shock Top beer, different. Orange flavour base with a good after taste. But $23 for 2 was a bit steep

Lots of hotties out and about.

Cheerleaders look hotter this year

Can't really think of many positives football wise though

I really enjoy shwarma khan, always a great meal. Little pricey but you're not going to be hungry after the wrath of khan. Every type of mystery meat available. Fantastic.

As for the game... I stopped watching lol...

Now something that really grinds my gears.

Why do they not have more beer kids walking around the rum hut area? There is nothing slower than the beer stand line ups and you could literally  sell the whole tub of beer in minutes. 

I'm walking around with my salty as f shwarma and need a quick beer, I really don't feel like missing another 20 mins of the game waiting for a beer.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Punt cover team is something to watch not sure if any one has gotten a 10 yard return yet.

The game in Regina, I thought the bombers did a great job covering the punts. I don't view Medlock as a great punter, but he is fairly consistant with his distance 

22 minutes ago, Ripper said:

The game in Regina, I thought the bombers did a great job covering the punts. I don't view Medlock as a great punter, but he is fairly consistant with his distance 

That's really the strength of this Bomber team, the punt cover team has depth on depth on depth.  Can't find a backup LB though...

10 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Sure would be nice to have Bass on this roster...

Tough to argue with that.  I believe management thought Bass was more of a WIL than an MLB.  Which I would agree with.  But then the question becomes Wild vs Bass.  I think Wild is the better player and leader but his durability has been in question for awhile.  It would have been a gutsy move to keep Bass and release Wild but ultimately probably would have been the better decision.