3 stars + HH first game

wbbfan

6 minutes ago, Mr. Perfect said:

Whipping boy for some. What people tend to forget is the last time he was in a starting role, our defensive coordinator was Gary Etcheverry. With his...."scheme" or whatever you want to call that joke of a defence we ran that season, it didn't really paint an accurate picture of what Hurl is capable of.

Good point.

23 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd  like to give props to the ref who gave a detailed explanation of why Chris Jones was wrong and couldn't challenge the last tackle on Glenn in the second OT.

I really thought he should've gotten a delay of game penalty for that. He was obviously fishing and was challenging something you can't challenge. Thank goodness they at least got the call right

44 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I'd  like to give props to the ref who gave a detailed explanation of why Chris Jones was wrong and couldn't challenge the last tackle on Glenn in the second OT.

That was kind of wierd that the mike was open when the refs. were discussing it with Jones.  As for O'Shea's challenge that was interference even though Gainey did not use his hands, he used his body to redirect Dressler off his route well beyond 5 yds.

To me it looked more like a team playing first game and sorting things out.

Score flattered Saskatchewan as they got lucky on the fumble and we would have got points there to go up again by at least 10 and that would have been the nail.

If Johnson was in probably two of their scores would have never happened.

Not sure about the offensive play calling but hoping it was just again first game ironing out of things. For whatever reason we stayed away of the things that we could/should have exploited which I found odd.

Defence as a whole looked pretty good for first game and will get better..our dline is going to be a force..ends did alright but I would want more. I think it was more of a scheme there thinking Glenn would not slither outside. 

Man sask has no..i mean no depth and are going to be in for a long year I bet. Poorly coached..odd collection  of talents and skill sets...wsy too much emphasis on having "athletes" and non on having "football" players. 

9 hours ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

HM: Hurl,

one game, but quite a few people are eating a bit of crow on Hurl.  including me.

guess Mike does know a thing or two about linebackers.

Huge win if Hurl pans out.

Edited by Mark F

52 minutes ago, Mark F said:

one game, but quite a few people are eating a bit of crow on Hurl.  including me.

guess Mike does know a thing or two about linebackers.

Huge win if Hurl pans out.

I think the interior of the D-line did their job last night and that allowed Hurl to do his job well.  If that breaks down next week and Messam gets rolling, Hurl's critics will be back.

I am not upset by the Bomber slow start to the game, but am ticked at the fourth quarter thinking of the Bombers where the offence went into a shell and the defence started playing soft in the secondary. We got away with it against the flaccid Riders but we are gonna have to be a lot sharper next game.

PS: I think the honeymoon is over for Chris Jones and Co. in Regina. I haven't seen that kind of vitriol since the Mike Kelly- Sleepy Joe days for the Bombers.

We drove out for the game.

I truly love IGF, but the seating configuration is pretty basic. Mosiac definitely has some cool/unique viewing areas.  No doubt they have a great little stadium. The city itself...pass.

Some of the things I didn't like (that are mostly nit picking I guess) are that the upper level concourses are really congested and oddly designed. At least where we were. Other parts of the lower concourse seemed to get weird bottle necking.

The ramps are also really narrow, and the exit from the ramps on the street is like you are fleeing a crime scene through a narrow doorway (more bottle necking). 

The leg room in our section was good. The seats themselves seem really low budget. Like you could rip them outta the concrete low budget.

The field lighting is pretty underwhelming. The place seems dark. Actually lighting all over the stadium was not great.

Their 13th man flag is enormous...like super enormous. Almost distracting haha.

The don't really show away team stats much on their main board.I think it came up a couple of times.

Their PA and music is so insanely loud. Very annoying. 

Overall, they did a great job on it. The fans we met were very nice (complete opposite of what you see online). Many thanked us for coming and even came to shake our hand before and after.

I have de-railed the thread but did not know if this was worth starting a new topic.I do reccomend going to a game there. We had a roller coaster of a game and came out with a dramatic W and started a new era of Bomber winning in that stadium. So, I leave happy.

Edited by Seekoy

1 hour ago, tracker said:

I am not upset by the Bomber slow start to the game, but am ticked at the fourth quarter thinking of the Bombers where the offence went into a shell and the defence started playing soft in the secondary. We got away with it against the flaccid Riders but we are gonna have to be a lot sharper next game.

PS: I think the honeymoon is over for Chris Jones and Co. in Regina. I haven't seen that kind of vitriol since the Mike Kelly- Sleepy Joe days for the Bombers.

Felt the opposite about the offense.  They needed to control the clock and kept pushing dangerously downfield with the pass, ineffectively too.  Get a run game going so we don't have to even get that game near OT.  4th quarter should have been a hell of a lot easier.

I'll wait to annoint Hurl as Oshea 2.0 once he faces BLM and Messam.

This is still a defence that let Glenn rack up 370 yards and one that couldn't stop Sask from tying the game.

Still just don't like the way Hall uses his MLB - I think its outdated... but that's just me.

57 minutes ago, Seekoy said:

We drove out for the game.

I truly love IGF, but the seating configuration is pretty basic. Mosiac definitely has some cool/unique viewing areas.  No doubt they have a great little stadium. The city itself...pass.

Some of the things I didn't like (that are mostly nit picking I guess) are that the upper level concourses are really congested and oddly designed. At least where we were. Other parts of the lower concourse seemed to get weird bottle necking.

The ramps are also really narrow, and the exit from the ramps on the street is like you are fleeing a crime scene through a narrow doorway (more bottle necking). 

The leg room in our section was good. The seats themselves seem really low budget. Like you could rip them outta the concrete low budget.

The field lighting is pretty underwhelming. The place seems dark. Actually lighting all over the stadium was not great.

Their 13th man flag is enormous...like super enormous. Almost distracting haha.

The don't really show away team stats much on their main board.I think it came up a couple of times.

Their PA and music is so insanely loud. Very annoying. 

Overall, they did a great job on it. The fans we met were very nice (complete opposite of what you see online). Many thanked us for coming and even came to shake our hand before and after.

I have de-railed the thread but did not know if this was worth starting a new topic.I do reccomend going to a game there. We had a roller coaster of a game and came out with a dramatic W and started a new era of Bomber winning in that stadium. So, I leave happy.

good stuff, how was traffic after the game?

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

good stuff, how was traffic after the game?

It was pretty bad but it is what it is. What it is , is 33k in an area bounded by train tracks and neighbourhoods with narrow streets. 

We parked and walked 20 mins away. 

It was also Canada Day.

Can't speak to the bus system. 

They appear to have copied our traffic buster idea (allowing people on to the field at IGF) by attempting to divert people to Confederate Park post game.

On 2017-07-02 at 7:37 AM, Mr. Perfect said:

Whipping boy for some. What people tend to forget is the last time he was in a starting role, our defensive coordinator was Gary Etcheverry. With his...."scheme" or whatever you want to call that joke of a defence we ran that season, it didn't really paint an accurate picture of what Hurl is capable of.

Bret-Hart-vs-Mr-Perfect.jpg

For all the talk about the great Rider receiving core, the best receiver on the field was still Weston Dressler.

Also, why did we start the Roc over Fogg? It would've been nice to have at least one vet DB on that side of the field.

Edited by Blueandgold

On 2017-07-02 at 10:14 AM, TBURGESS said:

Hurl having a great game last night doesn't mean that he didn't deserve most of the criticism he's had around here. 

no but the fact people have no hot clue what was expected of him and making random assumptions about his play and positioning are..

1 hour ago, SPuDS said:

no but the fact people have no hot clue what was expected of him and making random assumptions about his play and positioning are..

He's played 73 CFL games and this is the first time that I've seen him looking like a starting level MLB. 1 game out of 73 doesn't mean that folks were wrong about him before the last Riders game.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

He's played 73 CFL games and this is the first time that I've seen him looking like a starting level MLB. 1 game out of 73 doesn't mean that folks were wrong about him before the last Riders game.

what looks like a starting level MLB and what actually constitutes one could very well be 2 vastly different things tho, you realize, right?  I have a hard time believing all these coaches, DCs and GMs who had him slotted into a starting MLB rotation would be  wrong and you'd be right..