Bombers TC Memories

Noeller

On 2017-06-10 at 7:25 AM, TBURGESS said:

I was a huge Knight fan back in the day. Ralph Dieter Brock had a great arm and could put the ball anywhere he needed to, but Knight was the better QB until he tore his rotator cuff. 

Brock might have been shipped out if Knight had stayed healthy. That's an amazing thing to ponder seeing as the number Dieter put up in his career.

On 2017-06-09 at 9:11 AM, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

The Baylor Bowling Ball was probably one of the worst nicknames of all time, but he was great...reminded me of Chad Kackert (sp.)

Richard Crump was there as well.  We played Crump, Washington & Beaird in the same backfield at times from 1976-78. Usually, it was Beaird & Washington. Crump would later play for Calgary & Ottawa.

On 2017-06-10 at 3:26 PM, Pete Catan's Ghost said:

Yes, the "dumb brute" rap hung heavily on him. Thanks for the insight on Jauch's mentorship, I wasn't aware of that side of things.

Do you remember him as a HC/QB coach while working with Wilkinson and Lemmerman in Edmonton?

Six years later I finally answer this question. Yes, I sure do remember. Jauch certainly resurrecred Wilkie's career. The Argos cut Wilkie prior to the 1971 season & he was picked up by the Lions. Eagle Keys didn't like him & cut him again after a few games. He signed with the Esks for the 1972 season almost as an afterthought & he had a chance to work with Jauch who turned him into the best QB in the CFL. That is, until Warren Moon came along.

When Jauch came here in 1978, he turned Brock into a pocket passer from a sprint out qb who just saw half the field into a qb who saw everything. It sure helped that we had the best OL in the CFL at the time. Brock had a cannon for an arm with deadly accuracy. It was an amazing transformation. 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

When Jauch came here in 1978, he turned Brock into a pocket passer from a sprint out qb who just saw half the field into a qb who saw everything. It sure helped that we had the best OL in the CFL at the time. Brock had a cannon for an arm with deadly accuracy. It was an amazing transformation. 

I never watched Brock play, but my uncle always insists he was prone to overthrowing receivers. Would you say that's accurate? 

41 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I never watched Brock play, but my uncle always insists he was prone to overthrowing receivers. Would you say that's accurate? 

Sure, as he had an arm where he legit could throw 70-75  yards downfield. A lot of those overthrows were receivers not believing he could get the ball to them so they quit on a route. Those guys usually didn't last too long. He had a Canadian wide receiver that was awful named Brock Aynsley. He couldn't catch a cold. On the other side MIke Holmes who was a very good wideout but subject to the dropsies at times. Tommy Scott & Joe Pop caught everything although they never played together. 

Once he stopped throwing on the run doing rollouts & started throwing from the pocket where he could set his feet & throw his accuracy improved not just for the long ball but for everything. Jauch taught him to read defenses. So did jauch's OC Jim Erkenbeck. He helped Brock develop as well. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. They must have spent hours & hours watching film together. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Here we are running a dive play called a 44Woodie just before someone tapped me on the shoulder and whispered "coach wants to see you, bring your playbook" which of course meant I got cut. This was '97 camp, and I am moving Shonte Peoples (21) the hell out of the way - Ronald Humphries slipping through the gap. Jeff Reinebold was head coach. Might've been Milt's first season too. Camp was in Portage la Prairie. Chris Vargas and Kevin McDougal at QB along with ugh, the late Cody Ledbetter. 

LiDs6bH.jpg

Edited by Doublezero

On 2023-12-02 at 3:23 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Sure, as he had an arm where he legit could throw 70-75  yards downfield. A lot of those overthrows were receivers not believing he could get the ball to them so they quit on a route. Those guys usually didn't last too long. He had a Canadian wide receiver that was awful named Brock Aynsley. He couldn't catch a cold. On the other side MIke Holmes who was a very good wideout but subject to the dropsies at times. Tommy Scott & Joe Pop caught everything although they never played together. 

LOL - Brock Aynsley is living in Kelowna now.  I know him quite well and see him at a lot of functions.  Another guy I see around here is Fran Huck.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

58 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

LOL - Brock Aynsley is living in Kelowna now.  I know him quite well and see him at a lot of functions.  Another guy I see around here is Fran Huck.

Not saying he isn't a nice guy but he wasn't a very good receiver. Brock would hit him in the hands & he'd drop the ball.

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not saying he isn't a nice guy but he wasn't a very good receiver. Brock would hit him in the hands & he'd drop the ball.

Brock Aynsley wasn't the only guy who couldn't catch Dieter's passes.  I was talking to an old timer who claimed that he played for the Bombers in the 70's as a DB.  I never got his name but looking up the records I think his name was Lee Benard as he said that he played with Gord Patterson at U of M as well as with the Bombers.  Anyway, he said in training camp he was covering a receiver and went for the INT on one of Brock's passes and he got knocked over by the ball, it was coming so hard and fast.  He said he never saw a QB who could throw like that anywhere.

24 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Brock Aynsley wasn't the only guy who couldn't catch Dieter's passes.  I was talking to an old timer who claimed that he played for the Bombers in the 70's as a DB.  I never got his name but looking up the records I think his name was Lee Benard as he said that he played with Gord Patterson at U of M as well as with the Bombers.  Anyway, he said in training camp he was covering a receiver and went for the INT on one of Brock's passes and he got knocked over by the ball, it was coming so hard and fast.  He said he never saw a QB who could throw like that anywhere.

Benard played for the Bombers from 1974-77. He was a DB. He played in the same defensive backfield as Peter Ribbins. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, CodyT said:

Anyone remember the name of the player who had a wife posting on ourbombers.com.

He played in the secondary

Robert Bean. Had a decent year in 07 then fizzled out. I think his wife got into it with another poster on here. 

BTW I love this thread. So many old names. 

Edited by JohnnyAbonny

1 hour ago, JohnnyAbonny said:

Robert Bean. Had a decent year in 07 then fizzled out. I think his wife got into it with another poster on here. 

BTW I love this thread. So many old names. 

I was thinking Robert baker the rapper for some reason

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

I remember Samuels posting there. Pretty sure I ticked him off and he went at me pretty good over my comment.

Who was the dB with the dreads on the same team. Answered my own question. Something malaveux? Maybe I didn't answer my own question

Brock sure had a gun for an arm....Getting the ball the length of the field was a piece of cake....it was the receivers who let him down on a lot of occasions....Wasn't too happy with Dieter when he moved on and his comment about the Peg was bull$hit......'you can only go to the zoo so many times in Winnipeg'... intimating that's all there was to do ...Liked him as a qb. but let's say the bridge he burnt here hurt a lot of fans.....Anyway ...a loooooong time ago

1 hour ago, CodyT said:

Who was the dB with the dreads on the same team. Answered my own question. Something malaveux? Maybe I didn't answer my own question

Is Malveaux the DB from Calgary that pulled out the sharpie after a simultaneous catch with Stegall, only for it to end up being a Touchdown?

OMG, I found it!  

Edited by Super Duper Negatron

15 hours ago, Fatty Liver said:

Mark McDonald was another Cdn. receiver that played for the Bombers mid-70's, he was recently inducted into the BC Football Hall of Fame as an amateur player and a high-school coach.

https://www.bcfootballhalloffame.com/mark-mcdonald/

McDonald could make some nice catches & he played opposite Mike Holmes in the mid to late 70's. But he was small. And he could be inconsistent at times. make a great catch & then drop a ball right into his hands. I think he was always considered a temporary stop gap type of receiver. That he would start until the Bombers found someone better.

As a Bomber he made 79 catches for 1,313 yards & 4 touchdowns between 1975-77. After he left Winnipeg he played for the Stamps, Saskatchewan & Toronto, He had only 4 catches for 45 yards from 1976-78 with those 3 teams. At 5'10 & 170 lbs the physicality of the game finally caught up with him. 

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Brock sure had a gun for an arm....Getting the ball the length of the field was a piece of cake....it was the receivers who let him down on a lot of occasions....Wasn't too happy with Dieter when he moved on and his comment about the Peg was bull$hit......'you can only go to the zoo so many times in Winnipeg'... intimating that's all there was to do ...Liked him as a qb. but let's say the bridge he burnt here hurt a lot of fans.....Anyway ...a loooooong time ago

That bridge has been rebuilt. Only some demented Bomber fans would hold a grudge 40 years later. Did you ever read his book? Even though he went on to play in the NFL with the Rams, he said he made a huge mistake leaving Winnipeg. That he regrets that whole situation in 1983 & how it went down. He realized that had he have stayed & signed a new contract that he might have been a Grey Cup champion.

27 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

McDonald could make some nice catches & he played opposite Mike Holmes in the mid to late 70's. But he was small. And he could be inconsistent at times. make a great catch & then drop a ball right into his hands. I think he was always considered a temporary stop gap type of receiver. That he would start until the Bombers found someone better.

As a Bomber he made 79 catches for 1,313 yards & 4 touchdowns between 1975-77. After he left Winnipeg he played for the Stamps, Saskatchewan & Toronto, He had only 4 catches for 45 yards from 1976-78 with those 3 teams. At 5'10 & 170 lbs the physicality of the game finally caught up with him. 

Yah he wasn't a favourite, I think the only reason he was on the field was the ratio at that time was bigger and tougher to fill out, him and DB Merv Walker were usually good for a couple of gaffes every game. 

Edited by Fatty Liver

16 minutes ago, Fatty Liver said:

Yah, I think the only reason he was on the field was the ratio at that time was bigger and tougher to fill out, him and DB Merv Walker were usually good for a couple of gaffes every game. 

Walker played for the Stamps, Toronto & Hamilton, He still lives in Calgary. His play really tailed off after he left Calgary just like Mark McDonald. Walker was a Western Conference All Star in 1981 at Corner. Pretty good punt returner as well.

If you look at McDonald's stats with the Bombers, he would have been an all star if his numbers were for one season & not spread out over 3. He was underused but still pretty good. 

I'll be honest, when McDonald played, I always felt that there had to be somebody out there as a receiver who was better. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27