2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

So just a fan. Yup. 

Yup just like you. Read the sun today they have the Jets drafting the worst out of the Canadian teams...even calling Vesalainen a utility player...so a little early to be crowing how great we did in the draft....

2017 Development Camp Roster

Goaltenders: Arvid Holm, Cole Kehler, Jake Kielly and Colton Phinney

Defencemen: Jacob Cedarholm, Chris Dienes, Croix Evingson, Leon Gawanke, Jack Glover, Luke Green, Johnathan Kovacevic, Sami Niku, Nelson Nogier, Dylan Samberg, Logan Stanley

Forwards: Mason Appleton, Francis Beauvillier, Kyle Connor, Erik Foley, C.J. Franklin, Jansen Harkins, Ryan Kuffner, Brendan Lemieux, Skyler McKenzie, Jack Roslovic, Michael Spacek, Jared Spooner, Nico Sturm, Alex Tonge, Matt Ustaski, Santeri Virtanen, Kristian Vesalainen

Attending but not participating due to injury: Tucker Poolman, Jordy Stallard

Bunch of guys not drafted by Jets but they get room n board for the week I guess.

20 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Yup just like you. Read the sun today they have the Jets drafting the worst out of the Canadian teams...even calling Vesalainen a utility player...so a little early to be crowing how great we did in the draft....

True but they also gave the Oilers an A+.... let's see the reaction in Winnipeg if we drafted a guy who is 5'7" and 150 lbs in the first round.

It's all just opinion at this point.  I'm excited about Vesalainen simply because I liked him since the U18's but lots can go wrong and lots can go right as these guys develop.

I am excited to see the Young Jets this year in Penticton.  I wonder if Connor and Roslo are going to come out.  I would be interested to see their development from last year, when they didn't do much, and I made the call that Connor "just wasn't ready".   But Elliot Friedman may have had a different opinion.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I am excited to see the Young Jets this year in Penticton.  I wonder if Connor and Roslo are going to come out.  I would be interested to see their development from last year, when they didn't do much, and I made the call that Connor "just wasn't ready".   But Elliot Friedman may have had a different opinion.

Laine made Connor not ready as soon as we got pick #2.

13 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

who are we to argue.

And who are they to argue really. Jets have a very good track record in scouting. Them being ranked last over Montreal Ottawa Toronto and even Edmonton is pretty much a joke. Lots of guys who are scouts and who do know more... Really liked the Jets draft. Just cuz the Sun,and since when are they the experts on anything, thinks opposite.. Surprise surprise really... Dont mean its true. The Sun knows less than people on here do. 

Edited by Goalie

Of course its definitely too early to tell on the draft.  The Jets, to me, made picks that were high risk/high reward.  So they trust their scouting that the guys they chose have the opportunity to achieve their potential.  Vesa could be an Armia.  he could be Laine-lite.

Samburg is another with very high potential.  Saw scouting reports that had his ceiling as a top 2-top 4 D man.

Kova, another guy who could end up a solid NHl d-man.

Santeri was said to drop based on being hurt all year.  Could end up a steal.

All four of those guys could be busts.  Who knows.  But it seemed to me the Jets are very comfortable with their current team, their developing players and, trusting their scouting, chose to perhaps gamble a bit on players that are less guarantees but have potential high value.

If one or two of those guys hits their potential for the Jets, its a win.  Regardless, the team has enough developing depth right now to provide time for these players to develop.  We'll see what 2-4 years looks like in judging the 2017 draft.

Regarding Connor, seemed clear he couldnt play at the NHL level last year to the extent he would want.  And by the end of the season, he was too good for the Moose.  Hopefully he comes in a bit bigger and stronger and with confidence.  Could start out on the Jets 3rd line.  And do well.

14 hours ago, Atomic said:

Been expecting this since halfway through the season.  I wouldn't mind it at all.  "Year 3 Helle"/Elliott should be a huge upgrade over "Year 2 Helle"/Hutch at the very least.

hm if Elliott does come here I hope he gets kind of chummy with Helle, then I can get this going on 

Helliott

Yes I'm terrible aren't I?

I wonder if this means Kariya's self-imposed NHL exile is coming to an end.  It might be that the only way to accomplish that was to have him on stage with Teemu.

I heard an interview with Selanne earlier this year where he said he often tried to convince Kariya to go back to hockey but he wanted nothing to do with the league.

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:
I wonder if this means Kariya's self-imposed NHL exile is coming to an end.  It might be that the only way to accomplish that was to have him on stage with Teemu.

I heard an interview with Selanne earlier this year where he said he often tried to convince Kariya to go back to hockey but he wanted nothing to do with the league.

I don't blame him.

That said, he was back in ANA during their playoff run. Huge ovation for him.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/paul-kariya-returns-ducks-playoff-celebration-video-042808949.html

4 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Jets send out qualifying offers to Helle Tanev Copp and Lipon 

Kosmachuk Howden and Olsen do not get one and become UFA. 

Nail Yakupov didnt get a QO from the Blues meaning hes UFA also (no interest in him at all) 

Im surprised they decided to part ways with Kossy.  Need the space perhaps?

I guess there is a bust from the 2012 draft where the Jets took him in the 3rd round.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Kosmachuk looked like he was on the right track for awhile but then just plateaued.

Realistically anyone in this organization that's not a high first round pick is going to have a hell of a time cracking the roster.  And that's the way it should be.