2017 NHL Off Season

Rich

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

There are plenty of things to criticize chevy about. Losing thorburn and moving down 11 spots isnt one of them. 

As for enstrom he sucks so bad that real insiders like dreger bobby mac and friedman were all convinced vegas would take him. 

and I wish they had been proven right.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I don't think Hamonic is over-rated.  I think he's a solid top 4 D.  But he's RHD.  If he played the left side then our top 6 suddenly looks a lot better.  Jets didn't get beat out, they weren't in the conversation.  They didn't want him.  I don't think Jets management is infallible but I do think they have a lot more info than we do so Ill assume there is a reason they didn't want him.

If people are still complaining that Chevy made an error in trading down to 24, they really are barking up the wrong tree.  Not only were several guys taken out of their predicted order but Chevy strongly hinted this was the guy they wanted anyway.  If they got, at 24, the guy they wanted at 13, then bully for them.

This wasn't a matter of losing Toby and getting Foote in 3 years.  If they want Foote that bad, they can go out and get him.

If Toby doesn't waive, Jets lose Myers or Perreault/Lowry.  As it is, before the expansion draft, half the people here thought it was a good move to lose Dano and a 3rd.  Jets lost NO ONE and kept a first round pick and chose a player they really wanted.

I don't know what else Chevy could have done in both drafts this week.  He's done very well. Addressing goaltending and LHD depth is something to be done via trade or Free Agency.  Jets can't draft a veteran back up or a veteran top 6 D.  So why are people getting knotted panties about keeping our most experienced LHD?  

Because keeping our most experienced  LHD who has been part of our last 2 non playoff years  has costs us a possible star D of the future and 5.5 million again for this year. If Enstrom was this fantastic LHD that other teams coveted why did Vegas accept (your terms) so little in value for him?

There comes a point where you just need to let it go... 

I think that point was several pages ago. 

Enstrom is a Jet... Future superstar foote valimaki brannstrom vakainenen are not. Man.. Its gonna suck when these guys are ripping up the league and winning conn smythe trophies. 

I guess tho... There are 2 potential stud d men in this class... One went pick 3.. One went pick 4... The rest including samberg and kovacevic are all the same really... Some got more hype than others tho. 

Reality... At 13... We probably would have taken BPA who was probably Suzuki actually... Since who drafts for need in the first round when none of these guys outside of maybe hischier and maybe patrick will actually play in the league in the next 2 or 3 years. 

Stop pretending we missed some stud D man or we would have even taken one at 13 when Jets tend to draft BPA and BPA was a center. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

You know what happens when you draft based on needs? 

Ask Carolina who took Hayden Fleury (probably a bottom pair d man) who is playing in the AHL over guys like Nylander and Ehlers. 

Your right Goalie we dont know what we may have missed by moving down...maybe nothing maybe a future star. It could be a huge cost or not. Imo it's a big gamble for a LHD who's best years are behind him but we will see. 

Before we go another dozen pages on rehashing the same argument....

Group 1

Believes Enstrom waived with the understanding that the Jets would do what they can to have Vegas not pick him.  This allowed them to not lose Perreault / Armia / Copp.

May also believe that the Jets felt they wouldn't get an equivalent defensemen in trade or UFA and the price to move down 11 spots was worth the certainty to have Toby in the lineup next season vs. the gap that would be there next year.

Group 2

Believes once Enstrom waived, he was fair game to be exposed, and if Vegas wanted him, not a big loss because he is only under contract for one more year, and not at all worth the cost of giving up a top 15 pick.

May also believe his deteriorating skills mean he is easily replaced by a 2nd or 3rd tier free agent defensemen and at a cheaper cost.

No one is going to change the others mind.  It is fine for each group to either like what the Jets did in expansion or not like it.  

What's done is done ... can we move on now?

FYI

26. Dallas Stars (from Chicago Blackhawks) - Jake Oettinger, G, Boston University (H-EAST)

NHL Central Scouting final North American ranking for goalies: 1
2016-17: 35 games, 21-10-3, 2.11 GAA, .927 save percentage

Oettinger (6-foot-4, 218 pounds), the second-youngest player in college hockey, became the ninth BU goaltender named to a Hockey East All-Star Team. He possesses NHL size and covers a lot of the net. Oettinger, who served as the third goalie for gold medal-winning United States at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship, has great rebound control and plenty of confidence.

NHL.com analysis: First goalie in the draft is big (6-foot-4, 218 pounds), composed and skilled. He should be NHL ready near the end of Ben Bishop's six-year contract.

-

Jets also drafted a big goalie in the 6th round

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2017/6/24/15868160/nhl-draft-2017-winnipeg-jets-select-arvid-holm-with-the-167-overall-pick

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Everyone miss this?

STL Ryan Reaves was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins along with a second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Oskar Sundqvist and the Penguins first round pick (31st overall) in the 2017 draft.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

FYI

26. Dallas Stars (from Chicago Blackhawks) - Jake Oettinger, G, Boston University (H-EAST)

NHL Central Scouting final North American ranking for goalies: 1
2016-17: 35 games, 21-10-3, 2.11 GAA, .927 save percentage

Oettinger (6-foot-4, 218 pounds), the second-youngest player in college hockey, became the ninth BU goaltender named to a Hockey East All-Star Team. He possesses NHL size and covers a lot of the net. Oettinger, who served as the third goalie for gold medal-winning United States at the 2017 IIHF World Junior Championship, has great rebound control and plenty of confidence.

NHL.com analysis: First goalie in the draft is big (6-foot-4, 218 pounds), composed and skilled. He should be NHL ready near the end of Ben Bishop's six-year contract.

-

Jets also drafted a big goalie in the 6th round

https://www.arcticicehockey.com/2017/6/24/15868160/nhl-draft-2017-winnipeg-jets-select-arvid-holm-with-the-167-overall-pick

Goalies are voodoo. Some of the best ones were late round picks. Not much is known about holm tho.  You should find hellebuycks write up when he was drafted... Similar to the Dallas pick but better numbers. 

Edited by Goalie

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Everyone miss this?

STL Ryan Reaves was traded to the Pittsburgh Penguins along with a second-round pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft in exchange for Oskar Sundqvist and the Penguins first round pick (31st overall) in the 2017 draft.

Glad to get Reaves out of our division.Strange trade for St Louis cause they protected him in the expansion draft.But I guess they want to move in a different direction.

10 hours ago, bb1 said:

Because keeping our most experienced  LHD who has been part of our last 2 non playoff years  has costs us a possible star D of the future and 5.5 million again for this year. If Enstrom was this fantastic LHD that other teams coveted why did Vegas accept (your terms) so little in value for him?

You're making a connection between two different things that aren't really that connected.  No one knows of Foote will be better than the player we got.  Check back in 5 years. 

The first draft you probably were Hot chevy didn't pick couturier 

if toby chose not to waive. Then jets lose Myers or perreault or Lowry. Whether you agree or not, the jets valued those players higher then the crapshoot that is the difference between 13 and 24. And they still got a player ranked by many in the top ten. 

At 24 there were still highly touted D available. They didn't take one. They wanted this player. 

If the jets had let Toby go then it doesn't matter if Foote is a great D in 5 years. Because we'd be worse off this year.  

You're making dubious connections I'm afraid.  Jets had a great week. 

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If the jets had let Toby go then it doesn't matter if Foote is a great D in 5 years. Because we'd be worse off this year.  

I am pretty sure Rich told us all to let this go, but let's just say of all the things you posted, this is what I most grievously object to.  No one will ever convince me that we'd be worse off with Toby off the ice for this team.  Ever.  OK, I'm done on this subject.

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

I highly doubt we would have taken Foote so im not sure why his name is thrown around. 

Every mock i saw had Valimaki going to the Jets. 

Foote? Has anyone watched him play cuz if you did... Youd realize hes an RHD. 

who cares if he's an RHD.  Good grief I'm so tired of this RHD/LHD nonsense.  Foote isn't making this team for another 2 to three years, so who cares what he plays.

52 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I am pretty sure Rich told us all to let this go, but let's just say of all the things you posted, this is what I most grievously object to.  No one will ever convince me that we'd be worse off with Toby off the ice for this team.  Ever.  OK, I'm done on this subject.

I replied to posts before I saw rich's. Those posts quoted me so I replied. 

Tje thing is we all have opinions but the people who get paid a lot of money think Toby is valuable so who are we to argue. If jets could replace him so be it. But losing Toby means looking for 2 d. 

Mans as remarkable as rookie morrissey was I'm not sure we can etch in stone that he continues that level. Hopefully but you never know. 

To me the bottom line is jets lost no one. Kept their roster entact and got a highly touted first round pick. Draft is often a crap shoot. 

I think we did well. 

3 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Tje thing is we all have opinions but the people who get paid a lot of money think Toby is valuable so who are we to argue.

I know who I am to argue.  Someone who's been watching hockey since birth and has been a fan of the Jets since 1977.  And this is a fan site, so this exactly where we would argue.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

52 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I know who I am to argue.  Someone who's been watching hockey since birth and has been a fan of the Jets since 1977.  And this is a fan site, so this exactly where we would argue.

So just a fan. Yup.