If not Nichols, who would you like to see as our QB in 2017?

Taynted_Fayth

I still think a deal with Nichols will be done,  just curious who the next man up is for everyone?  Do we trade for Franklin? sign DD if he hits the market? Cato? Davis? 

I'm a little scared of Franklin, as it has Drew Willy 2.0 written all over it, I think i'd be more comfortable signing DD and holding onto our picks

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

I like what Franklin brings to the table and would be excited to see a deal happen, even if it involves first round picks (I bet it would take first overall). We wouldn't be the only bidders and and Edmonton would just as soon retain Franklin as trade him, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm also a Nichols believer and would be most pleased to see him re-sign before FA starts.

Durant is still a good QB, and I'm sure it's just my Blue Bias, but Rider stink is Rider stink (apologies to Dressler/Smith but it's the truth).

• Plan A1: Franklin
  • Plan A2: Nichols
  • Distant Plan B: Durant

So if not Nichols....Durant or Franklin....If we're looking short term...Durant.....into the future Franklin...In my opinion both are better than Nichols...Durant obviously with his record and experience....Franklin because he dislodged Nichols in a quarterbacking role, as back-up to Riley in schmoeville ( see Esks. Cup winning team of 2 yrs' ago)....

2 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

I would have no problem at all with Nichols coming back.  I think he's earned it.  Having said that, if he wants to play hard ball, so be it.  In that case I'd push hard for Franklin and keep Glenn (can't believe I'm saying that).  No to Durant.  With his injuries and age, there's just too much risk. 

The only problem with this scenario is that the Esks may have an overinflated sense of his value and we would probably not be the only suitors.

59 minutes ago, tracker said:

The only problem with this scenario is that the Esks may have an overinflated sense of his value and we would probably not be the only suitors.

Ya, what you say is true.  I really don't think though that the Esks have an overinflated opinion of him.  I think that they know he's a hot commodity and if anyone wants him, they are going to have to pay though the nose to get him.  More so when there are multiple clubs.  If he's going to go somewhere, I hope it's here.  But at the same time, if we can re-sign Nichols, that's ok too. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

If no Nichols then Durant or Ray or maybe Glenn

You know that I want to agree with you, but I really think Frito might be done. That guy is barely hanging on...duct tape and chewing gum as they say... 

Bombers are a playoff team now. You have to have a guy who has experience which would be Nichols, Durant or Glenn.  Franklin will likely be a good one down the road but I want to win this year.

Ray is done.  37, injury trouble and lost more games than he won in 5 years with TO. I can't believe his name still comes up. It will be interesting to see if TO pays Willy a bonus he is due in January amid rumors they want him to rework his contract.  And still no firings in the big smoke? 

Nicholls - he earned to be resigned and he's the best QB we have since 2007

Franklin - I like him a lot, I like him in Blue&Gold - but I'm not ready to give him the starting position... yet

Durant / Glenn / Davis - If we only get 1 of the above - I'll call to get one of these guys

13 hours ago, Noeller said:

You know that I want to agree with you, but I really think Frito might be done. That guy is barely hanging on...duct tape and chewing gum as they say... 

I'm not sure sure, that Toronto team is falling apart in more places than one and I really think that having a pocket passer behind a shoddy OL doesn't help. Lord knows we saw that here, but I think our OL is in a place now where a guy like Ray could resurrect some of his past glory... Or he's done and too injured I dunno. 

I think we need to again have 2 viable starters. 1 of durant, nichols, glenn or ray. Short term id take durant. (2 years or less) Longer term id look to nichols.

And 1 of glenn, lulay, cato, maybe tate or franklin. 

My preference would be cheapest/most team friendly deal from tier 1 and glenn. Really its between durant and nichols. Durant gives us a much better chance to win next year while nichols gives us a greater ability to win beyond a year or two. Jonathon jennings has a lot of room to grow as a starter still, if for some reason he shook lose id be interested. Wouldnt really want collaros, or harris. Too much risk with too high a chance of the worst case scenario playing out. 

On 12/28/2016 at 10:42 AM, Brandon said:

Ray still has the touch on his throws... the problem is that he gets crushed way to many times each game.    This isn't like Khari who even if he had all the time in the world he still wouldn't be able to throw a ball 20 yards or more. 

That TO ol was horrible. Have to wonder what he would do in a system that matches his skill set soo well like ours, and a beastly OL like we have. I think ray still has enough in the gas tank to win a GC with next year. But I dont think youd plan him to start every game next year or any games after that. Bigger risk for similar out come as durant imop. 

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

True.. But keep in mind. I'm fully confident that Nichols will be our starting QB.

Yeah id say 80% chance nichols is back. 95 if durant signs with montreal now. 

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

My list is: Nichols, Ray, Burris, Durant... in that order.

Bold list. Ray soo high is interesting. As a back up i could see it but man i would be worried if he went into the season as the starter.