If not Nichols, who would you like to see as our QB in 2017?

Taynted_Fayth

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

My list is: Nichols, Ray, Burris, Durant... in that order.

I don't know why you would want Ray over Burris, unless it's entirely on personality.

Ray is 37 going on 47.

Burris is 41 going on 31.

Ray is broken and Burris just won a GC.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

I believe that Ray can still be an elite QB behind a good OL.  The idea of Ray throwing to Dressler, Smith, and Darvin Adams intrigues me.

certainly boom or bust. Itd either be 5k 30 tds 10 picks type of line or out the door. 

Just now, JCon said:

I don't know why you would want Ray over Burris, unless it's entirely on personality.

Ray is 37 going on 47.

Burris is 41 going on 31.

Ray is broken and Burris just won a GC.

take away hanks GC and his regular season was very 40 esq. Id say they are both in a similar tier. But im skewed against hank. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

certainly boom or bust. Itd either be 5k 30 tds 10 picks type of line or out the door. 

take away hanks GC and his regular season was very 40 esq. Id say they are both in a similar tier. But im skewed against hank. 

I'll take 50 esq and GC, thank-you.

I wonder what this trade do to Walters-Nichols talk. 

On one hand, Nichols has the leverage to ask for more money since theres no better QB available.

On the other hand, there's no other place with better opportunity for him but Winnipeg, so thats a leverage for Walters.

51 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I wonder what this trade do to Walters-Nichols talk. 

On one hand, Nichols has the leverage to ask for more money since theres no better QB available.

On the other hand, there's no other place with better opportunity for him but Winnipeg, so thats a leverage for Walters.

until he signs a deal i dont think it does much. Plus I dont think there is enough leverage in the world to get nichols elite QB money this year. 

Hank seems to want to start, no surprise. 

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/13/report-burris-decision-could-hinge-on-starting-role/

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

until he signs a deal i dont think it does much. Plus I dont think there is enough leverage in the world to get nichols elite QB money this year. 

Hank seems to want to start, no surprise. 

http://www.cfl.ca/2017/01/13/report-burris-decision-could-hinge-on-starting-role/

But only in Ottawa... he claims its OTT or retire.

1. BC - Jennings
  2. EDM - Reilly
  3. CGY - BLM
  4. SSK - ???
  5. WPG - ???
  6. TOR - Willy/Ray
  7. MTL - Durant/Adams
  8. HAM - Collaros
  9. OTT - Burris/Harris

So unless Nichols wants to go back to playing for Chris Jones, the guy who dumped him once already, I really don't see how he has any leverage whatsoever.  Nichols and the Bombers will get a deal done.

Nichols had a decent year in a system he fits in where he doesn't have to really be the man exactly.  He just needed to MANage games here. I'm not sure Matt Nichols would have the same success elsewhere and I'm not even 100 percent convinced that he will have the same success here next year. 

We weren't really winning games because of Matt Nichols and the O. It was more D and special teams  (Medlock ) 

Edited by Goalie

16 minutes ago, Atomic said:

But only in Ottawa... he claims its OTT or retire.

1. BC - Jennings
  2. EDM - Reilly
  3. CGY - BLM
  4. SSK - ???
  5. WPG - ???
  6. TOR - Willy/Ray
  7. MTL - Durant/Adams
  8. HAM - Collaros
  9. OTT - Burris/Harris

So unless Nichols wants to go back to playing for Chris Jones, the guy who dumped him once already, I really don't see how he has any leverage whatsoever.  Nichols and the Bombers will get a deal done.

yeah he says that. Hard to imagine him turning down a starting spot on a contender with the money that goes with it though.

assuming durant signs in montreal (if i was him i would want no part of that gong show) assuming To stands pat and sask as you say isnt gonna be an option (and i agree with that) it leaves here or another movement to make it happen.

Is ottawa going to guarantee he is the starter with harris' age, early season performance and some of hanks play time last year? Idk. If i am hamilton id be looking to make a move for sure. They have to feel like they could reach out and take the east this year better QB play. And if ott no longer beleives that harris is the future they could be in a position to strike as well. Both those teams are deep and in a spot to contend. But qbs are big question marks. Id be surprised if they dont theory craft situations around changing to durant/nichols. Bc could be a sleeper too. With how terrible jennings was late in the season and in the play offs, and you know wally doesnt sit on his laurels when it comes to qbs. 

I really dont think much is cemented for QBs next year in the cfl. BLM and reilly are the only guys on that list i see as 100% to start camps this year as the no1 qb. 

38 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

yeah he says that. Hard to imagine him turning down a starting spot on a contender with the money that goes with it though.

assuming durant signs in montreal (if i was him i would want no part of that gong show) assuming To stands pat and sask as you say isnt gonna be an option (and i agree with that) it leaves here or another movement to make it happen.

Is ottawa going to guarantee he is the starter with harris' age, early season performance and some of hanks play time last year? Idk. If i am hamilton id be looking to make a move for sure. They have to feel like they could reach out and take the east this year better QB play. And if ott no longer beleives that harris is the future they could be in a position to strike as well. Both those teams are deep and in a spot to contend. But qbs are big question marks. Id be surprised if they dont theory craft situations around changing to durant/nichols. Bc could be a sleeper too. With how terrible jennings was late in the season and in the play offs, and you know wally doesnt sit on his laurels when it comes to qbs. 

I really dont think much is cemented for QBs next year in the cfl. BLM and reilly are the only guys on that list i see as 100% to start camps this year as the no1 qb. 

Jennings single-handedly stole the West semi-final from the Bombers.  He's not going anywhere.  And Austin isn't giving up on Collaros yet.  

Toronto is still unsettled, I'd concede that, but I'd say 6 teams are nowhere near being in the market for a new QB.

And did you really just drop theorycraft into your post??  I love it :D

Here's the thing about Hank -- his massive ego rules all. If Ottawa tells him that they don't want him as a starter, he'll absolutely think about retiring. Unless....Jones comes to him with all sorts of hefty promises featuring big money and full time starter minutes, etc. Flattery will get you everywhere with an ego the size of Burris's....so you just never know.

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Jennings single-handedly stole the West semi-final from the Bombers.  He's not going anywhere.  And Austin isn't giving up on Collaros yet.  

Toronto is still unsettled, I'd concede that, but I'd say 6 teams are nowhere near being in the market for a new QB.

And did you really just drop theorycraft into your post??  I love it :D

jennings had the reigns pulled back on him in that first half. He couldnt hit the broad side of a barn reliably. And in the games before and after. Those runs especially the one late in the half stole the game. Not jennings. And even then we had them on the ropes on the last drive. BC would be a dark horse, but i dont see them standing pat.

Idk another season like last and hamilton might give up on austin imop. He doesnt seem the type who internalizes loss. either. and they dont have any one behind him able to step in and win. 

xD yeah other activities rubbing off i guess lol.

56 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If they can't afford Glenn... then I assume Ray would be a wee bit expensive.

I dont think it was about being able to afford him as much as glenn wanting starter money and the bombers wanting to save as much as possible. Sending him to FA early and unexpectedly could be a move to shock him into the reality of the market place. 

49 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Here's the thing about Hank -- his massive ego rules all. If Ottawa tells him that they don't want him as a starter, he'll absolutely think about retiring. Unless....Jones comes to him with all sorts of hefty promises featuring big money and full time starter minutes, etc. Flattery will get you everywhere with an ego the size of Burris's....so you just never know.

did hank leave ssk on bad terms previously? I vaguely remember it being a rough departure. And hank seems the burn the bridge type. That would have been a long time ago now mind you. Ssk would be the last team in the league i would want to sign with if im a QB. that ol is horrible. The fan base is about ready to lynch jones. and they have little to no D behind you. 

New Tait piece today, "One Month Till Free Agency"  http://www.bluebombers.com/2017/01/13/226039/

“Generally when a player wants to be here and we want them here, it will sort itself out. Matt wants to be here, we want him here. It’s just a long process sometimes to get these things done.”

-- Kyle Walters

4 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Feel like Nichols is like Alex Smith with the Chiefs solid reliable will win you more games than you lose. But will never get credit he deserves.

If Nichols had been with pretty much any other CFL team (but especially a team at 1-4) come in off the bench and complied a 10-3 season, and then be a potential free agent, there would be certain people here who would be clamoring for the Bombers to go after him.  But since he did it with the Bombers, it doesn't count.  Some Bomber fans...  they want what what they don't have, right until they get it.

19 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Take away the games where he couldn't hold the ball properly because of his thumb injury and he had a very 30 esq season. 

8 hours ago, Jacquie said:

Take away the games where he couldn't hold the ball properly because of his thumb injury and he had a very 30 esq season. 

you mean the part where he lost his starter job? His play when harris got hurt was awful. Especially the blow out loss to mtl and the loss to TO. Then also against the green riders in another game ott loss to the other cellar dweller in the cfl in 2016. He had a bad year up and down till the play offs. How many times again did he lose the starter job last year? 3? Certainly nothing even close to his 30 esq year  his first back in calgary as the starter.  

Edited by wbbfan