US Politics

Rich

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Not all, but some that make no particular difference to me I do certainly....as do we all. I have no vote and no reason to be invested in this. Are you suggesting you have never heard someone talk and think OMG that guy is super annoying. 

Your question is very timely.  

Just now, blue_gold_84 said:

Considering our country's proximity to and profound socioeconomic ties with the US, you should be invested in what happens as far as its political landscape is concerned. Or at the very least, informed sufficiently to have a worthwhile opinion.

My opinion may not be worthwhile to you, but it certainly is to me. I hold it in high regard and I own it. Nothing you say diminishes that. Who do you think you are to decide the worth of another person's opinion. My goodness the hubris you show sometimes. Couldn't just let me have my opinion and move on...good god...get your ego checked.

Just now, GCn20 said:

My opinion may not be worthwhile to you, but it certainly is to me. I hold it in high regard and I own it. Nothing you say diminishes that. Who do you think you are to decide the worth of another person's opinion. My goodness the hubris you show sometimes. Couldn't just let me have my opinion and move on...good god...get your ego checked.

Why would you hold an opinion that you admit has no basis in fact in such high regard?  

Just now, GCn20 said:

More projection and childish pettiness. The last sentence really drives it home.

Chef Kiss GIFs | Tenor

20 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

More projection and childish pettiness. The last sentence really drives it home.

Chef Kiss GIFs | Tenor

Dude...seriously....look in the mirror. I shared my opinion which I freely admitted is based on what I have seen of him on newsreels and what others have told me about him. You felt the need to chastise me for holding that opinion mainly because it varies from your own. If you have a more informed opinion, right on good for you but that doesn't mean I need to change mine or that I don't have the right to mine or to express it. I made no pretense that it was an informed opinion everyone should share. I don't understand why you get so worked up when someone holds the opinion that Biden or Trudeau are not their preferred leaders. I don't need to submit a resume to have these opinions. They are mine and I am not trying to convince anyone to join me in my opinion.

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Why would you hold an opinion that you admit has no basis in fact in such high regard?  

I never said it has no basis in fact. I said it is not fully researched. It could very well be grounded in fact. At no point have I stated that my opinon isn't factual, I have simply said that I haven't done the leg work to confirm that.  At any rate I hold it in high regard because it is mine. I own it, it belongs to me.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

Your question is very timely.  

Feel free to skip my posts if that helps. You asked me the question and started the conversation so if you don't want the conversation don't ask the question. Typical of what you guys do on these political threads though, someone expresses an opinion you don't like you resort to labelling and belittling, Must be taking lessons from Trudeau. lol

At any rate, I have my opinion of Biden, I have expressed it and I have given you my reasons for it and that it is simply my gut telling me to dislike him based on some very incoherent babbling of his in news clips I have seen and my American friends describing the train wreck their economy has become since he gained power.  I really wonder how partisan you guys are to defend a guy that even the majority of his own party doesn't want to run again. We done here?

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Just messy book keeping of declassified material really. News paper clippings stuff like that. Move on. However just to let everyone know this was also planted by the FBI to make this look bad.  

Any hoo look Hunter Biden's laptop, Hillary Clintons emails, Former Presidents Clinton and Obama's illegal keeping of records, Facebook rigging the 2020 election!!!!!

And apparently Trump was in the habit of leaving behind secret documents when in foreign hotels, even in hotels in adversarial countries.  

44 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I never said it has no basis in fact. I said it is not fully researched. It could very well be grounded in fact. At no point have I stated that my opinon isn't factual, I have simply said that I haven't done the leg work to confirm that.  At any rate I hold it in high regard because it is mine. I own it, it belongs to me.

Feel free to skip my posts if that helps. You asked me the question and started the conversation so if you don't want the conversation don't ask the question. Typical of what you guys do on these political threads though, someone expresses an opinion you don't like you resort to labelling and belittling, Must be taking lessons from Trudeau. lol

At any rate, I have my opinion of Biden, I have expressed it and I have given you my reasons for it and that it is simply my gut telling me to dislike him based on some very incoherent babbling of his in news clips I have seen and my American friends describing the train wreck their economy has become since he gained power.  I really wonder how partisan you guys are to defend a guy that even the majority of his own party doesn't want to run again. We done here?

“If you’re going to say what you want to say, you’re going to hear what you don’t want to hear.”- Roberto Bolaño

1 minute ago, Wideleft said:

“If you’re going to say what you want to say, you’re going to hear what you don’t want to hear.”- Roberto Bolaño

Actually, I quite enjoy the banter. I get a kick out of how bent out of shape you guys get when someone questions the political left.

Donald Trump Bible GIF - Donald Trump Bible Lightning Strike - Discover &  Share GIFs

American history in the years to come will talk about how a person elected to the most powerful position in the world  was a criminal before during an after. How a complete imbecile fooled everyone when his stupidity was in plain sight.

Edited by bustamente

"the key to understanding why germans supported hitler lies in the nazi's rejection of a rational factual world. in his statements an element of bitter refusal to submit to reality invariably emerged.

the reality that germans faced after 1918 were all but unacceptable. germans retreated into conspiracy theories, that a stab in the back, not military defeat had ended the war. or that they were beset by conspiratorial cliques of communists, capitalists, jews  ,freemasons.

hitler could give voice to this flight from reality as could no other german politician of his time"

Benjamin Hett

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

My apologies - uninformed.

Which i freely admitted. People have and make uninformed opinions on other people on a daily basis. Its literally ingrained in us as a human defense mechanism.  Opinions can be changed as you are informed. My opinion of Biden may yet change..who knows? What i have not seen in the last several posts is any indication or reasoning of why my opinion is wrong, simply several posts suggesting i am wrong for having an opinion. It fully illustrates how far in the gutter partisanship has gotten us. 

Edited by GCn20

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

What i have not seen in the last several posts is any indication or reasoning of why my opinion is wrong, simply several posts suggesting i am wrong for having an opinion. It fully illustrates how far in the gutter partisanship has gotten us. 

That’s a flawed way of justifying the correctness of your opinion, demanding that we prove a negative to change your mind. It would be like me saying “Hey, in my opinion GCn20 likes to have sex with barnyard animals, and I have seen no indication that this is untrue (of course if he himself says that it is untrue, well, that’s just a self-serving statement, so that is not suitable as reasoning), so my opinion must be valid”. 

However, to offer you what you ask for, in my opinion a senator of 36 years service and Vice President for 8 who has never been proven to be tied to or suffered political fallout from a scandal, and who has only been mentioned in a scandal through his (non-politician) son by political opponents with a proven documented record of lying, would seem to belie your belief that he is corrupt. As for incompetent, I think his age, folksy storytelling, and his lifelong stutter may give optics to that narrative, but again his lifetime of public service and his achievements in getting bills passed recently given the partisan political climate are evidence of his competency. Again, the narrative that he is incompetent comes from his partisan opponents, not sure what proof you have that the majority of Americans feel that way (not having a high approval rating or the desire for someone else to run next time do not equate to incompetent).  So you are entitled to your opinion, and you are not wrong for having an opinion, but you may well be wrong for having THAT opinion, as it does not seem to have any factual backing to make it a valid one. 

17 hours ago, Mark F said:

"the key to understanding why Germans supported Hitler lies in the Nazi's rejection of a rational factual world. in his statements an element of bitter refusal to submit to reality invariably emerged.

the reality that Germans faced after 1918 was all but unacceptable. Germans retreated into conspiracy theories, that a stab in the back, not military defeat had ended the war. or that they were beset by conspiratorial cliques of Communists, capitalists, Jews, Freemasons.

Hitler could give voice to this flight from reality as could no other German politician of his time"

-Benjamin Hett

As has been widely speculated, this is all part of what happens when an empire goes into decline. America has run up quite a karmic debt that must inevitably be repaid. I do not recall that Hitler really blamed the capitalists, though. They were the backbone of his financial support.