US Politics

Rich

From Alternet.org

New England Journal of Medicine publishes letter from doctor explaining how FBI and DHS almost grabbed the medical masks his hospital was buying

200331-M-QP496-1803-1170x675.jpeg
A U.S. Navy Sailor with 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, takes the temperature of a Marine with 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, on Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina, March 31, 2020. II Marine Expeditionary Force is following the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health and Human Services to take the necessary precautions to protect redeploying service members and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Scott Jenkins)

Written by Meteor Blades / Daily Kos April 19, 2020

The New England Journal of Medicine has begun a new series called “Covid-19 Notes,” which is focusing on the innovative responses to the dealing with the coronavirus. On Friday, the journal published a letter about acquiring N95 masks written by Dr. Andrew W. Artenstein, M.D., of Baystate Health in Springfield, Massachusetts. Here’s an excerpt from the letter:

"As a chief physician executive, I rarely get involved in my health system’s supply-chain activities. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed that. Protecting our caregivers is essential so that these talented professionals can safely provide compassionate care to our patients. Yet we continue to be stymied by a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), and the cavalry does not appear to be coming. 

Our supply-chain group has worked around the clock to secure gowns, gloves, face masks, goggles, face shields, and N95 respirators. These employees have adapted to a new normal, exploring every lead, no matter how unusual. Deals, some bizarre and convoluted, and many involving large sums of money, have dissolved at the last minute when we were outbid or outmuscled, sometimes by the federal government. Then we got lucky, but getting the supplies was not easy. 

Hours before our planned departure, we were told to expect only a quarter of our original order. We went anyway, since we desperately needed any supplies we could get. Upon arrival, we were jubilant to see pallets of KN95 respirators and face masks being unloaded. We opened several boxes, examined their contents, and hoped that this random sample would be representative of the entire shipment. Before we could send the funds by wire transfer, two Federal Bureau of Investigation agents arrived, showed their badges, and started questioning me. No, this shipment was not headed for resale or the black market. The agents checked my credentials, and I tried to convince them that the shipment of PPE was bound for hospitals. After receiving my assurances and hearing about our health system’s urgent needs, the agents let the boxes of equipment be released and loaded into the trucks. But I was soon shocked to learn that the Department of Homeland Security was still considering redirecting our PPE. Only some quick calls leading to intervention by our congressional representative prevented its seizure. I remained nervous and worried on the long drive back, feelings that did not abate until midnight, when I received the call that the PPE shipment was secured at our warehouse."

It would be nice to have federal leadership that doesn’t make acquiring essential medical equipment seem more like buying a heroin shipment.

ADVERTISING

10 minutes ago, Tracker said:

From Alternet.org

New England Journal of Medicine publishes letter from doctor explaining how FBI and DHS almost grabbed the medical masks his hospital was buying

200331-M-QP496-1803-1170x675.jpeg
A U.S. Navy Sailor with 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, takes the temperature of a Marine with 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, on Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, North Carolina, March 31, 2020. II Marine Expeditionary Force is following the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Health and Human Services to take the necessary precautions to protect redeploying service members and mitigate the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. (U.S. Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Scott Jenkins)

Written by Meteor Blades / Daily Kos April 19, 2020

The New England Journal of Medicine has begun a new series called “Covid-19 Notes,” which is focusing on the innovative responses to the dealing with the coronavirus. On Friday, the journal published a letter about acquiring N95 masks written by Dr. Andrew W. Artenstein, M.D., of Baystate Health in Springfield, Massachusetts. Here’s an excerpt from the letter:

"As a chief physician executive, I rarely get involved in my health system’s supply-chain activities. The Covid-19 pandemic has changed that. Protecting our caregivers is essential so that these talented professionals can safely provide compassionate care to our patients. Yet we continue to be stymied by a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), and the cavalry does not appear to be coming. 

Our supply-chain group has worked around the clock to secure gowns, gloves, face masks, goggles, face shields, and N95 respirators. These employees have adapted to a new normal, exploring every lead, no matter how unusual. Deals, some bizarre and convoluted, and many involving large sums of money, have dissolved at the last minute when we were outbid or outmuscled, sometimes by the federal government. Then we got lucky, but getting the supplies was not easy. 

Hours before our planned departure, we were told to expect only a quarter of our original order. We went anyway, since we desperately needed any supplies we could get. Upon arrival, we were jubilant to see pallets of KN95 respirators and face masks being unloaded. We opened several boxes, examined their contents, and hoped that this random sample would be representative of the entire shipment. Before we could send the funds by wire transfer, two Federal Bureau of Investigation agents arrived, showed their badges, and started questioning me. No, this shipment was not headed for resale or the black market. The agents checked my credentials, and I tried to convince them that the shipment of PPE was bound for hospitals. After receiving my assurances and hearing about our health system’s urgent needs, the agents let the boxes of equipment be released and loaded into the trucks. But I was soon shocked to learn that the Department of Homeland Security was still considering redirecting our PPE. Only some quick calls leading to intervention by our congressional representative prevented its seizure. I remained nervous and worried on the long drive back, feelings that did not abate until midnight, when I received the call that the PPE shipment was secured at our warehouse."

It would be nice to have federal leadership that doesn’t make acquiring essential medical equipment seem more like buying a heroin shipment.

ADVERTISING

Well that's for Jared Kushner's stockpile. There's profit to be had. So what if people might die? That's the best time to exploit them!

There is this:

El Paso still waiting on $500K from Trump campaign for February rally, officials say
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/493579-el-paso-still-waiting-500k-from-trump-campaign-for-february-rally

Then there is this:

White House advisers reportedly said Trump's re-election campaign is skirting FEC rules to 'secretly' pay his sons' significant others $180,000 a year
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-paying-sons-significant-others-180000-a-year-2020-4

Republicans = suckers

12 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Worried about her age more then Joe's?

Worried about her age because of Joe's.  might not be bad considering Trump is old, in terrible shape and prone to looking on the verge of collapse at times.   But, the idea is Biden is the transitional leader, the guy that brings the country together, unites everyone and gets things stabilized until a more dynamic person takes over after his first term.  I think Warren would be a great President, but then we're talking about her running when she's 75 against a lot of younger opponents and risk a rough primary (which is what the GOP always wants).

I'd rather see a younger woman.  And all things being equal, a POC.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Worried about her age because of Joe's.  might not be bad considering Trump is old, in terrible shape and prone to looking on the verge of collapse at times.   But, the idea is Biden is the transitional leader, the guy that brings the country together, unites everyone and gets things stabilized until a more dynamic person takes over after his first term.  I think Warren would be a great President, but then we're talking about her running when she's 75 against a lot of younger opponents and risk a rough primary (which is what the GOP always wants).

I'd rather see a younger woman.  And all things being equal, a POC.

I think there is a 1/1024 chance she would make a great president.

9 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Trump probably bouncing off the walls this afternoon, today's presser is going to be another attack rally campaign

That is a hell of an ad.  If Biden's team keeps up that work throughout the campaign, they'll have Trump throwing punches at people in his briefings.

3 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That is a hell of an ad.  If Biden's team keeps up that work throughout the campaign, they'll have Trump throwing punches at people in his briefings.

Doesn’t matter. He’s so far off the mark, he couldn’t hit anybody anyways.

And, it would mess his hair. Can’t have that.

It will be interesting to watch Trump respond to this. He has no factual response, so will resort to the worst of personal attack ads and distortions in retaliation. His followers will eat it up as gospel and /i would not be surprised to see him advocate violence but deny he is doing so.

Just now, Tracker said:

It will be interesting to watch Trump respond to this. He has no factual response, so will resort to the worst of personal attack ads and distortions in retaliation. His followers will eat it up as gospel and /i would not be surprised to see him advocate violence but deny he is doing so.

Just lies lies and more lies.  The reason Im confident is because all Trump can do is play to his base.  His only hope to win re-election is self inflicted wounds by the Dems.  Sadly, that is always possible.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

If these pictures of masked crazy protesters walking around with semi automatic weapons are real it tells me we are almost there

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Just lies lies and more lies.  The reason Im confident is because all Trump can do is play to his base.  His only hope to win re-election is self inflicted wounds by the Dems.  Sadly, that is always possible.

Trump has no cards to play except to incite his base in an attempt to muddy the waters and claim that he is the victim of a vast conspiracy. His followers are already trying to resurrect "Pizzagate" and somehow tie it to Epstein. It is gonna get wilder and crazier.

2 minutes ago, bustamente said:

If these pictures of masked crazy protesters walking around with semi automatic weapons are real it tells me we are almost there

Absolutely. Trump needs a hot war or a Reichstag incident involving lots of bloodshed.

6 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Trump has no cards to play except to incite his base in an attempt to muddy the waters and claim that he is the victim of a vast conspiracy. His followers are already trying to resurrect "Pizzagate" and somehow tie it to Epstein. It is gonna get wilder and crazier.

Trump’s biggest card is not to rev up his base, it is to disenfranchise as many voters as possible and use to courts to gerrymander the voting his way as much as possible. Eliminate mail-in, absentee or advance polling? Check, check, and wait for it. Declare a suspension of the election due to a National emergency? Wouldn’t surprise me. Get the Supreme Court to ignore the results of the vote and elect him by Supreme Court decision?  Hey, we already have a precedent for that one. 

11 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Speed flex was going off about the military in the streets enforcing laws and restricting our civil liberties. Well, I’d welcome that a whole lot more than seeing civilians parading around with assault rifles prepared to enforce their personal rights over the rights of society at large.