Is Drew Willy finished here?

IC Khari

25 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

If Nichols can't produce, would not that mean it is indeed something other than the QB or is it we just have two really average QB's that need an exceptional supporting cast to succeed? I'm not ready to give up on Willy just yet. You'd think he has the talent to be a great QB in this league, it's just taking longer than we want. That's my hope. Not saying it would happen and can't make roster decisions by thinking this but the  worst thing that could happen to us is we cut him loose than he thrives somewhere else. That would be hard to take.

If neither Willy nor Nichols is able to deliver at least a competitive performance, it raises a disturbing question which has been asked here before:  do the people (GM, coach(es) and maybe Miller have the ability to assess talent? If the answer "no" or "maybe not", then it is probably time to raze the organization down to the ground and do a complete rebuild.

Edited by tracker

52 minutes ago, Rod Black said:

And when they can't, they become another wasted life. That's how it works in your world, doesn't it?

I am not certain what point you are trying to make, but if the individual cannot resolve his/her trauma, all it means is that there are now limitations on the quality and reach of life they experience. For most, it is resolvable.

9 minutes ago, tracker said:

I am not certain what point you are trying to make, but if the individual cannot resolve his/her trauma, all it means is that there are now limitations on the quality and reach of life they experience. For most, it is resolvable.

It's football, big guys are trying to kill you cause you're the QB, you'd be stupid not to have a good bit of healthy fear. If you don't make it in football, which is a game, your life is not over. It's time to move in a new direction and try to be productive in your life as you can be. Your quality of life is totally what you make of it.

12 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

That's true.  But at the same time, no one can look at someone, especially someone they don't know at all and make a judgement call like you did in the silly " If he's playing scared then a benching won't help him. He'll be finished. " comment.

Some of you guys just take things way too seriously. Like now. You can't deny that injuries affect athletes & some (like Mike Reilly) can come back better than ever & others can't. Drew Willy isn't the same player he was before the leg injury. A lot has been written about his not taking the time to look downfield & just dumping off the ball.  I have suffered two serious knee injuries, the first when I was 20. Had two successive surgeries Xmas 1975 & then Aug 76. the summer surgery was a complete reconstruction. At the time I was quite active. I skied but gave it up. Too afraid to go back out onto the slopes afraid if I fell I'd reinjure my knee.  That injury was a life changer. I couldn't "overcome". If Willy is worried that's too bad as he looks to be a nice guy with a pretty good skill set as a qb. But it is pro football where 260 lb defensive linemen are looking to make a name for themselves. His injury was a bad one. If he is worried he has a right to be & understandable. I'd never be able to come back...

Edited by iso_55

14 minutes ago, tracker said:

2 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

It's football, big guys are trying to kill you cause you're the QB, you'd be stupid not to have a good bit of healthy fear. If you don't make it in football, which is a game, your life is not over. It's time to move in a new direction and try to be productive in your life as you can be. Your quality of life is totally what you make of it.

The point I'm making, tracker, is that iso is quick to throw people on a garbage heap if they fail. My comment was a reminder to him of his lack of peace mercy and faith in people. It goes back to feudin' days. It was a shot, to which he replied in a satisfactorily diffused manner. 

I C Kahari' view of a life not being over after football, should be noted. A commendable post illustrating hope.

1 minute ago, Rod Black said:

The point I'm making, tracker, is that iso is quick to throw people on a garbage heap if they fail. My comment was a reminder to him of his lack of peace mercy and faith in people. It goes back to feudin' days. It was a shot, to which he replied in a satisfactorily diffused manner. 

I C Kahari' view of a life not being over after football, should be noted. A commendable post illustrating hope.

You. seem. to. have. a. reading. problem. trying. to. understand. what. I. said. I. did. not. throw. Willy. in. the. garbage. heap. I. said. that. injuries. affect. players. differently. Some. can come. back. from. injuries. while. others. can't. Doesn't. mean. that they. are. losers. They. will. have. life. after. football. Nowhere. did. I. say. that. Willy. is. in. the. garbage. heap. Am. I. going. too. fast. for. you? I... can... slow... down... if... you... don't... understand.

Just now, iso_55 said:

You. seem. to. have. a. reading. problem. trying. to. understand. what. I. said. I. did. not. throw. Willy. in. the. garbage. heap. I. said. that. injuries. affect. players. differently. Some. can come. back. from. injuries. while. others. can't. Doesn't. mean. that they. are. losers. They. will. have. life. after. football. Nowhere. did. I. say. that. Willy. is. in. the. garbage. heap. Am. I. going. too. fast. for. you? I... can... slow... down... if... you... don't... understand.

No. you. didn't. say. that. at. all.  What you initially said was: " If he's playing scared then a benching won't help him. He'll be finished."  That's not a "some can come back from injuries" statement.  That's a definitive statement: if Willy is scared, he's finished"  No wiggle room there whatsoever.  You make a boneheaded statement, period so quit trying to pretend you didn't say what you clearly did.  You can back peddle all you want, or you can just say that you either

a ) misspoke  or

b ) made a boneheaded statement that you'd now like to withdraw.

Your call, go ahead and pick.  

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

No. you. didn't. say. that. at. all.  What you initially said was: " If he's playing scared then a benching won't help him. He'll be finished."  That's not a "some can come back from injuries" statement.  That's a definitive statement: if Willy is scared, he's finished"  No wiggle room there whatsoever.  You make a boneheaded statement, period so quit trying to pretend you didn't say what you clearly did.  You can back peddle all you want, or you can just say that you either

a ) misspoke  or

b ) made a boneheaded statement that you'd now like to withdraw.

Your call, go ahead and pick.  

WBB you nailed it. 

3 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Guys like Glenn and Willy just seem to have a knack for throwing a pick at the worst possible times.

no not really. Thats old henry burris. Neither is great at coming up with the game winning score, but they arent the guy that tosses the game away in one play. 

3 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Yeah, what I said was terrible. Talk about twisting things around or looking for conspiracy theories.

You want Walters, Miller, OShea, Lapo, the trainers, equipment crew popcorn hawkers, bus drivers and drug addicts all accountable. Yet don't hold yourself to accountability. That's just plain weird.

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

no not really. Thats old henry burris. Neither is great at coming up with the game winning score, but they arent the guy that tosses the game away in one play. 

You're so cruel. So Burris at 41 is garbage? He throws games away?

Edited by iso_55

Burris came into the CFL in 1997. He's outlasted every player he played with or against him... And he throws games away? A CFL MVP? You threw him on the garbage heap. Aren't you a hypocrite. Not nice. Not nice.

Edited by iso_55

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You could basically set a watch by Glenns ability to throw a pick on cue and usually to the wide side of the field. Willy has had more than a few of those starting back to his first Banjo Bowl.

In the NHL goalies get hooked in and out on a regular basis and there doesn't seem to be a big deal made about it. Pull a QB for a series or two, make sure they understand and not make it life and death. Sometimes see things from the sidelines or calming yourself down can be productive.  As for throwing him out with the bath water. a) pretty premature, not sure there is a current plan B, not sure that saddling Willy with LaPos offence is any fairer or better than MBs offence.