Is Drew Willy finished here?

IC Khari

Willy is acting like he's a guy who really doesn't want to be here...Don't know why exactly but I've always thought his interviews were lacklustre...something like his performance as a Bomber lately...This guy is getting a nice chunk of change....411,000 to be a no 1 quarterback....Simply put, he isn't...I think we were sold a bill of goods when he was acquired....he really is a never was and his latest bristling with regard to the press shows he really is not a professional...Quite frankly, after reading that article in the Freep, I'm expecting some movement with regard to his employment as a Bomber qb.....Maybe the sooner the better for all concerned...Willy is going to be standing on the sidelines holding a clip board in Edm. making 400,000 and change doing it...I hope we don't have to use him and rather go to Davis or Bennett, 2 guys I know want their shot...What a train wreck we've become.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

The Feep today was pretty critical of Willy's attitude as well.

Which makes Walters look bad. He never should have signed Willy to that big contract. 

5 hours ago, Stickem said:

Willy is acting like he's a guy who really doesn't want to be here...Don't know why exactly but I've always thought his interviews were lacklustre...something like his performance as a Bomber lately...This guy is getting a nice chunk of change....411,000 to be a no 1 quarterback....Simply put, he isn't...I think we were sold a bill of goods when he was acquired....he really is a never was and his latest bristling with regard to the press shows he really is not a professional...Quite frankly, after reading that article in the Freep, I'm expecting some movement with regard to his employment as a Bomber qb.....Maybe the sooner the better for all concerned...Willy is going to be standing on the sidelines holding a clip board in Edm. making 400,000 and change doing it...I hope we don't have to use him and rather go to Davis or Bennett, 2 guys I know want their shot...What a train wreck we've become.

His demeanor always reminded me of a mopey teenager.  Poor guy has to answer some questions as part of his unearned $400,000 contract, woe is Willy. 

14 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

His demeanor always reminded me of a mopey teenager.  Poor guy has to answer some questions as part of his unearned $400,000 contract, woe is Willy. 

the vicious beating he has taken over his time here has more then earned him his cash. 

13 hours ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

Ron Lancaster (same era, longer career) still holds the interception record. His career numbers are 333 TD and a whopping 396 Int.  Different times.

Absolutely, if a qb back then (1960's & 70's) had a 55% completion average he was doing extremely well. A 60% completion percentage was virtually unheard of in both the CFL & NFL back then. Interceptions were way up. I think the quality of receivers has really improved as have offensive systems.

Edited by iso_55

I think they'll go back to him once Nichols gets beaten down and the team continues to lose.

To me the better question is, should they go back to him?

Presumably if Nichols can't turn the season around (losses seem highly likely), then the rest of the season should be focused on finding a "QB of the future" rather than two guys we have deemed not good enough.

The next step after Nichols is Dominique Davis.

QB sacks are up, QB injuries are up. You can blame the NI o-line, you can try having a tight end and blocking backs but the proven way to counter act that is to get the ball away quicker than they can get to you.  Lapo has brought that kind of offense here but Willy has been ineffective with it. Either he needs to change his game or he's going to end up finishing his career as a backup somewhere. The days of waiting for a receiver to open and taking a hit to make the play on a routine basis are over in the CFL.

1 hour ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

QB sacks are up, QB injuries are up. You can blame the NI o-line, you can try having a tight end and blocking backs but the proven way to counter act that is to get the ball away quicker than they can get to you.  Lapo has brought that kind of offense here but Willy has been ineffective with it. Either he needs to change his game or he's going to end up finishing his career as a backup somewhere. The days of waiting for a receiver to open and taking a hit to make the play on a routine basis are over in the CFL.

A quick release combined with being a threat downfield on a regular basis. Look at Edmonton - teams have to respect the threat of their receivers downfield as well Bowman's ability to create YAC. That immediately leads to fewer players teeing off on their OL & QB.

1 hour ago, JohnnyOnTheSpot said:

We dont have any thing close to a TE on the roster. You know the thing about an offence with no long routes to stretch the field? The D creeps up and takes quick passes away. Its easy to say you need to get rid of the ball faster but when your looking at sub 3 seconds before the D is on you and the OL being pushed back with the pocket collapsing right on the snap you often cant get it away fast enough. 

When you run a possession passing offense designed to run the field in 10+ plays you need strong consistant protection. Other wise you end up with a short gain on first and pressure on 2nd and your punting.

19 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

A quick release combined with being a threat downfield on a regular basis. Look at Edmonton - teams have to respect the threat of their receivers downfield as well Bowman's ability to create YAC. That immediately leads to fewer players teeing off on their OL & QB.

Willys release is better then average, and thats not some thing you change in a pro qb. We have tons of talent at WR. Thats not the problem. They are one game up on us, very nearly lost to the riders, and us. They arent a team to be imitated. Not to mention they have lived off the big passing play. They have done worse with running the ball and time of possession then we have this year. Their OL may not be made up of stars, but its played very well and protected Reilly exceptionally well this year.

56 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We dont have any thing close to a TE on the roster. You know the thing about an offence with no long routes to stretch the field? The D creeps up and takes quick passes away. Its easy to say you need to get rid of the ball faster but when your looking at sub 3 seconds before the D is on you and the OL being pushed back with the pocket collapsing right on the snap you often cant get it away fast enough. 

When you run a possession passing offense designed to run the field in 10+ plays you need strong consistant protection. Other wise you end up with a short gain on first and pressure on 2nd and your punting.

Willys release is better then average, and thats not some thing you change in a pro qb. We have tons of talent at WR. Thats not the problem. They are one game up on us, very nearly lost to the riders, and us. They arent a team to be imitated. Not to mention they have lived off the big passing play. They have done worse with running the ball and time of possession then we have this year. Their OL may not be made up of stars, but its played very well and protected Reilly exceptionally well this year.

Reilly can move out of the pocket to buy time and make plays. Willy hasn't done that. Willy has been a statue in the pocket.

Other teams also move the pocket/slide the pocket. I haven't seen much of that this year with the Bombers.

15 minutes ago, bryan35 said:

Reilly can move out of the pocket to buy time and make plays. Willy hasn't done that. Willy has been a statue in the pocket.

Other teams also move the pocket/slide the pocket. I haven't seen much of that this year with the Bombers.

Reilly is really good at that, but willy has shown plenty of mobility, Staying in the pocket despite the pressure isnt a bad thing. But i do like a qb that will roll from pressure. We moved the pocket and slide protection, sent willy on rolls only in hammer. Idk why we didnt earlier or why we stopped.

I don't think Edmonton is a model O, that's not my point. I just think receiving threats like Bowman force the front 7 to back off. He's a consistent threat to gain 15+ yards on plays where Reilly only has to hold the ball for a second or two.  Andrew Harris could possibly be something similar for us.

59 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I don't think Edmonton is a model O, that's not my point. I just think receiving threats like Bowman force the front 7 to back off. He's a consistent threat to gain 15+ yards on plays where Reilly only has to hold the ball for a second or two.  Andrew Harris could possibly be something similar for us.

More Dressler and Smith than Harris no?  

22 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Dunigan mentioned on TSN after last game that we lack talent and its not all on Willy. True or not?

Do we have a speed guy (Chris Williams, Chad Owens etc)? We appear to lack a big, physical receiver (Bowman, Arceneux etc).

Thoughts

One of the absolutes when a QB drops back is he hopes his receivers have beat the DB's or LB's and that one or more of them will be open.  The better your receivers, the better any QB will look.  Everybody tends to concentrate more on the O-line, but the receivers are just as important if not more so.  If the QB drops back and the receivers haven't beaten their man, the QB has to check down or be sacked.  So you and Matt right.  The QB and O-line are always the ones blamed, but the talent in your receiving corp is just as critical to success.  And the Bombers, right now, don't appear to have that great a group.