So who's worth keeping?

We're only two games into the season, but it looks like a lot of our players are going to be gone in the off season when wholesale changes are made. A very very early topic, but I'm going to try and keep it positive. What starters have impressed you guys? Who do you see sticking around and being solid players for us throughout the rest of the year and into 2017?

Andrew Harris - Runs hard every time he has the ball, and even if he tails off a bit as a running back, he could potentially move to receiver as his career winds down.

Ryan Smith & Weston Dressler - Haven't done much this year, Smith due to lack of opportunities and Dressler for the obvious reasons. I'm sure by the end of 2016 both will show why we went after them though.

Jace Davis - Looks like the best receiver this regime has recruited and hes only 24. I believe he could have a long productive career in the CFL.

Darvin Adams - Wasn't a fan due to his lack of effort and dropsies last year. But he's played harder thus far this season and looks like he could gain a bit more consistency which would make a 1000 yard receiver and a good second tier target.

Goossen & Chung - Young Canadians, not great players yet but young and still developing. Chung in particular I believe can be a very very good CFL player if we're able to keep him around.

Chris Randle -  I absolutely love this guy. He brings it every time he steps on the field.

Johnny Adams - Haven't seen him yet this season but is a very good young corner, he'll be a big help to our D whenever he's able to return.

Mo Leggett - Versatile player, I personally prefer him at safety, but he isn't bad at SAM either. With the proper system and coaching, he can very easily be the best safety in the league.

Ian Wild OR Bass - They don't play well together, neither one of them is a middle linebacker. Wild hasn't even played great at OLB this year. But he always and is a really good player. I believe one of them should be traded and Henoc Muamba(ideally) should take over as our MLB. 

Westerman - Should be the reigning MOC, was an absolute force last season. Like Bass & Wild, he hasn't played particularly well this season but he's a guy I know can turn it around and play at an elite level.

Cummings - Hasn't been spectacular, but hes caused some good pressure and is a nice young building block.

Medlock - Great kicker, not sure we can afford to pay him that kind of $$$ long term but he's the best K in the league. 

I'm not really sure that anyone else on our team has played well enough to be considered part of our ''core''. Kohlert for example, is a guy I've always really liked him but seems to have really slowed down the last two seasons. Of course his spot on the field plays a big part in that, but he's a guy who's taken a bit of a step backwards instead of forwards. 

Edited by Blueandgold

I'll keep it simple:

Our defence is still way too soft in the middle of the field. They need a bone crusher at MLB and neither Posey or Johnson have been anywhere near physical enough at the halfback spots. The rest I can live with.

To be honest, we haven't seen enough of the offence to properly evaluate anyone yet.

46 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Goossen is awful IMO and it's getting to the point where you wonder if it ever clicks.  He has to think way too much to find a block and by the time he does it's often too late.  Needs to be quick and decisive.  He also routinely gets his ass handed to him 1 on 1.  He wouldn't be on my list.

I've been a fan of Goosen. Its starting to look like he just isn't starting caliber. He is getting killed in the middle

I'm not a fan of our secondary outside of Randle

I was pretty underwhelmed with how Wild was getting manhandled out there.

Green showed some speed on that tackle for a loss on messam,  but over all our Dline isnt getting it done.

I'd be willing to give denmark a call back or has fuller signed anywhere yet?

I'm far from writing off our receivers as the dressler injury hurt a lot but seems like even tho Willy has over thrown his intended targets on deep passes,  the receivers themselves have not been able to shake coverage to get to where willy is putting the ball.  might need to look for a bit more speed

It's by far easier to list all those who should be gone ASAP rather than anything that should stay. Out of the ones to keep, most are mediocre, and could either go or stay. So here you go:

Gone Yesterday:

-----------------------

Autistic Iron Mike

Mouthy Family Guy

Richie Prevent-D Hall

Used Car Salesman Walters

The whole OLine except for Chung

The whole DLine except for Westerman

The whole linebacking corps, including Leggett

The whole receiving corps except for Mayo and Davis

The whole secondary except for Randle and Adams

All running backs except for Flanders

Keep:

-------

Chung

Westerman

Mayo and Davis

Randle and Adams

Flanders

All current QBs (until someone better is found)

I wouldn't wait to the end of the year, or even game 3 to effect a plan to make these changes. I'd start making them using the following strategy:

1) Bring in replacement candidates for the coaching positions now as "advisors" before firing each of the above. Have them work in parallel and make their own assessments of the problems, and then when they feel comfortable, fire each one of those losers on my list above and have the new candidates take over seamlessly.

2) With the new management and coaches installed with a seamless transition, do the same for each of the players above targeted for elimination. Keep bringing in competition until you find a player better than the target, and then fire or trade the target.

Do it now, and use the entire remainder of this year as a platform to experiment and perfect the improvements by test driving coaches players and personnel people. We already know this team will miss the playoff again this year, so use the year as year 1 of the rebuild rather than making next year as year 1.

Start the plan to make the changes immediately.

I would keep most of the players however I would look for a true MLB that can actually punish someone, Bass has been a failure so far at MLB and we are clearly weaker in the secondary without Adams and Washington, I would like to see the one of Posey , Fogg get replaced on Thursday hopefully Adams and if not give the DB we got from TO a shot he looked good in the videos I watched of him last year.

I really think you need to fire MOS and get a fresh start before we do a massive purge of players, I think the Bombers need a new direction at the helm if they are to turn things around...

Edited by BBFan

26 minutes ago, BomberDynasty said:

It's by far easier to list all those who should be gone ASAP rather than anything that should stay. Out of the ones to keep, most are mediocre, and could either go or stay. So here you go:

Gone Yesterday:

-----------------------

Autistic Iron Mike

Mouthy Family Guy

Richie Prevent-D Hall

Keep:

-------

Chung

Westerman

Mayo and Davis

Randle and Adams

Flanders

I wouldn't wait to the end of the year, or even game 3 to effect a plan to make these changes. I'd start making them using the following strategy:

1) Bring in replacement candidates for the coaching positions now as "advisors" before firing each of the above. Have them work in parallel and make their own assessments of the problems, and then when they feel comfortable, fire each one of those losers on my list above and have the new candidates take over seamlessly.

2) With the new management and coaches installed with a seamless transition, do the same for each of the players above targeted for elimination. Keep bringing in competition until you find a player better than the target, and then fire or trade the target.

Do it now, and use the entire remainder of this year as a platform to experiment and perfect the improvements by test driving coaches players and personnel people. We already know this team will miss the playoff again this year, so use the year as year 1 of the rebuild rather than making next year as year 1.

WOW! Just wow! 

42 minutes ago, BomberDynasty said:

Gone Yesterday:

-----------------------

Autistic Iron Mike

Mouthy Family Guy

Richie Prevent-D Hall

Keep:

-------

Chung

Westerman

Mayo and Davis

Randle and Adams

Flanders

Will you be moving what's left of the organization to Transcona to participate in the summer league?

3 hours ago, do or die said:

Of course, the GM, HC and the rest of the coaches,  who are being gradually prepped for execution......will be simply hanging around, and doling out milk and cookies....to their oncoming and in-house replacements.....

Why didn't I think of that.....

Actually, given how passive and useless both the management and players are, I would fully expect them to just sit and collect their pay cheques until the inevitable end. Most of them are next to useless now, or even worse, so it's not like they could do any more damage than what they have so far. The team is already being blown out in every game, so who cares what they think.

For example, given Autistic Mikey's "Officer and a Jellybean" mantra where he has only selected players that are outstanding human beings of upright and solid character who kiss babies in public and pick up loose trash, the "high road" for his group would be to help the replacements steal their lunch. Part of why the Bombers are so terrible in my opinion is they have selected players and coaches for moral character, not for sheer ability, nastiness, or aggressiveness. You got a nice bunch of baby kissers who have shown they are not aggressive or nasty enough to win

This team needs its butt kicked, and I think a nasty and mean message needs to be sent ASAP.  The new mantra for coaches and players should be just win baby... We'll take rejects, problem players, and players who are not good at PR, as long as they perform on the field and kick the cr*p out of every opponent, win or lose. Let them come and steal the lunch of the "Officer and a Jellybean" crowd...

7 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Goossen is awful IMO and it's getting to the point where you wonder if it ever clicks.  He has to think way too much to find a block and by the time he does it's often too late.  Needs to be quick and decisive.  He also routinely gets his ass handed to him 1 on 1.  He wouldn't be on my list.

Not a bad point... but on the other hand, there aren't really many other good blocking centers in the league either. A really weak position in the league right now.

4 hours ago, BomberDynasty said:

Gone Yesterday:

-----------------------

Autistic Iron Mike

Mouthy Family Guy

Richie Prevent-D Hall

Keep:

-------

Chung

Westerman

Mayo and Davis

Randle and Adams

Flanders

The fact that you missed out on keeping Andrew Harris makes you selection invalid. Also McDuffie has been returning for us pretty nicely. And would you really get rid of Wild, Bass or Corney?

13 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

The fact that you missed out on keeping Andrew Harris makes you selection invalid. Also McDuffie has been returning for us pretty nicely. And would you really get rid of Wild, Bass or Corney?

When I read it, BomberDynasty's post sounded  more like an adult version of a five year old's tantrum.  Give it about as much attention.

Edited by WBBFanWest

8 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Goosen has been getting thru via goodwill and a prayer. However, as the focus shifts to him playing starter minutes its apparent he's struggling with stronger, faster and more powerful defenders. He'd be a 6th or 7th Olineman and most other CFL rosters (other than Sask.) and probably wouldn't make the 46 of 4 or 5 teams. Chungh is a far stronger and smarter OL who should gel into a legit CFL guard or centre within another 2 years. Pressed into service because Mack ignored Canadian hoggies in his drafting - and Kyle Walters decided to blow his #2 pick overall to select a fringe guy named Waggoner.

44 minutes ago, Root said:

Some of the members who were so happy we picked Waggoner in last year's Supplemental Draft with the exchange of what turned out to be the second overall pick in this year's CFL Draft are coming to see just how ridiculous it was to do that. I swear they only liked the pick because Kyle Walters proclaimed this was a good move & needed to be done because we'd only have the 7th or 8th pick in next year's draft anyway. Talk about a guy  who totally thought his team was much, much better than it really was. Considering Waggoner's #2 or 3 on the depth chart at linebacker & we sacrificed the 2nd pick in this year's CFL Draft for a player who may have started for us. We made a selection for depth vs a potential starter.

Edited by iso_55

Walters got caught with his pants down on the Goosen pick - but he really looks dismal in the Waggoner deal. The goofiest thing is Walters still maintains he got better value in Waggoner by turning in his #2 overall pick. He's obviously protecting his desk fort with that absurd statement.

22 minutes ago, Root said:

Walters got caught with his pants down on the Goosen pick - but he really looks dismal in the Waggoner deal. The goofiest thing is Walters still maintains he got better value in Waggoner by turning in his #2 overall pick. He's obviously protecting his desk fort with that absurd statement.

Of course he'll stand by that decision & will go down for it.  Waggoner may be a solid player but we gave up too much for him.

1 hour ago, Logan007 said:

Left em out on purpose.

They are not as good as you think they are. Is your opinion based on Walters telling you that they are good? 

So far Wild and Bass have underwhelmed. Neither of those guys is a James West or Tyrone Jones, both are serviceable, but mediocre. They only look good because they have been playing on really bad teams. Is mediocrity what you are shooting for in the future? If so, you must have enjoyed the past 5 years.

With that terrible OLine, Harris will not be putting up the numbers he did with BC and people are going to change their tunes pretty quick. Cam Marshall showed more behind that bad OLine than Harris has so far. People are blinded by the fact he is a hometown kid. I could care less - just put the best player possible on the field.

Corney is a raw rookie and yeah I would probably add him to my list of keepers. Keep in mind he is unproven and not really in a position to be starting every down. My list was directed mostly at the regular starters, not the practice roster, backups or special teamers. Too soon to tell with Corney, but this team needs stars that are playing at a high level now, not guys that may be good 4 years down the road.

1 hour ago, WBBFanWest said:

When I read it, BomberDynasty's post sounded  more like an adult version of a five year old's tantrum.  Give it about as much attention.

Hey, drastic times call for drastic measures. Scorched earth now, all the way, baby. 

So far, a surgical and less passionate response has not seemed to produce good results. Its time to give this club a radical mastectomy 

Sounds like you are the type that would be afraid to make changes. Do you have an anal retention problem? I know someone you could see to help with that.

1 hour ago, iso_55 said:

Some of the members who were so happy we picked Waggoner in last year's Supplemental Draft with the exchange of what turned out to be the second overall pick in this year's CFL Draft are coming to see just how ridiculous it was to do that. I swear they only liked the pick because Kyle Walters proclaimed this was a good move & needed to be done because we'd only have the 7th or 8th pick in next year's draft anyway. Talk about a guy  who totally thought his team was much, much better than it really was. Considering Waggoner's #2 or 3 on the depth chart at linebacker & we sacrificed the 2nd pick in this year's CFL Draft for a player who may have started for us. We made a selection for depth vs a potential starter.

Phillipe Gagnon or Charlie Vailancourt would look really nice right now.