Patrik Laine

Ducky

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm actually okay with the Jets not taking Laine. There's some red flags about his attitude that worry me. 

I agree. It seems like people who have barely watched him play are convinced he's some sort of god. I wouldn't say attitude issues but knee injury concerns and the fact that if he's not scoring goals he's not doing much else. Pulujarvi is the better all around player and his potential is probably greater than laines. 

14 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I agree. It seems like people who have barely watched him play are convinced he's some sort of god. I wouldn't say attitude issues but knee injury concerns and the fact that if he's not scoring goals he's not doing much else. Pulujarvi is the better all around player and his potential is probably greater than laines. 

I don't think you can say that Puljujarvi is better all around player. He may play a 200 foot game but most scouts put Laine ahead. It's close, I'm sure. 

Also, pointing out knee injury concerns when Puljujarvi just had knee surgery? 

I wouldn't riot, I wouldn't care. I'm sure whoever the Jets pick, they'll have their reasons. But I like Laine's shot and his physical game. 

34 minutes ago, Goalie said:

no

They aren't saying that at all. They are saying the gap between Matthews and Laine is greater than the gap between Laine and Puljujarvi.  

The Laine hype has got so many ppl who have seen him play 5 times believing he's so much better than a guy they've seen once or twice. 

Lol. No. Actually sounds like a few nhl scours feel Puljujarvi has higher potential hence them telling bob that the jets might take Puljujarvi instead. Tells me there are several teams who would take Puljujarvi over Laine.  

Laine was at the world championships so therefore all of us non pro scouts love him and think Puljujarvi sucks. 

If Jets don't take Laine. ..... they have Damn good reasons not to. Who knows what they are but lol at being pissed at getting 1 of the 3 nhl ready players. 

God. Some of you buy a Laine jersey already?  

Edited by Goalie

All bob is really saying here is there are some teams out there who If picking at 2 would possibly take Puljujarvi over Laine. He doesn't say that the jets are one of those teams tho.  It's speculation. It tells me that the jets are very tight lipped about who they are taking at 2 and rightfully so. 

Buying in to the hype machine 2 much I see. 

The gap between Laine and Puljujarvi isn't as huge as people make it out to be. 

But guess we will see what happens Friday 

Jets value character players. If Laine has any sort of character issues that the jets are aware of... they won't take him. They will take Puljujarvi.  It's not always about taking the so called best player. .. it's about character potential fitting in.... among other things.  

If Jets pass on Laine it means they aren't convinced he's the right guy for this team. 

I get this feeling that Puljujarvi will be the better player in the long run. 

People can believe what they want but if the jets pass on Laine they have their reasons. 

People probably cried when jets took scheif over couturier or Hamilton in 2011 also but that worked out well.  Jets know what they are doing and whoever they pick... Laine or Puljujarvi will be the right choice 

Edited by Goalie

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Buying in to the hype machine 2 much I see. 

The gap between Laine and Puljujarvi isn't as huge as people make it out to be. 

But guess we will see what happens Friday 

Jets value character players. If Laine has any sort of character issues that the jets are aware of... they won't take him. They will take Puljujarvi.  It's not always about taking the so called best player. .. it's about character potential fitting in.... among other things.  

If Jets pass on Laine it means they aren't convinced he's the right guy for this team. 

I get this feeling that Puljujarvi will be the better player in the long run. 

People can believe what they want but if the jets pass on Laine they have their reasons. 

People probably cried when jets took scheif over couturier or Hamilton in 2011 also but that worked out well.  Jets know what they are doing and whoever they pick... Laine or Puljujarvi will be the right choice 

All hail, True North.

They never make a mistake or do the wrong thing.

Without ripping off Craig Button too much - I have to echo his sentiment from 1290 this morning.

Until the pick is made, emotional attachment to either Finn is over the top. 

They'll be a great, potentially franchise-changing, player available at #2 who the Jets will select. If it's Laine, we're getting a pure sniper. If it's JP, we're getting a 2-way FW with some offensive flair.

Can we go wrong? Sure. Will we know after the pick is made? Try 3 years down the line, if you want to truly judge properly.

Personally - I'm on the Laine bandwagon. Not because I believe he's head and shoulders above JP - I'm not a paid scout, how would I know? But because I think what Laine brings is increasingly harder and rarer to find - elite level scoring, single handily transforms our PP, all with size and some grit. It goes without saying, the thing none of us can possible know is how the Jets interpret him - as a player, but more importantly as a person. We know how much TNSE values character, much to the chagrin of the analytics crowd :)

FIRST OFFICIAL PREDICTION by me.... 1) Matthews  2) Laine  3) JP - as most have predicted. 

Oh and  Bombers win the opener by 4.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Ever since Laine compared himself to Ovechkin, I've had alarm bells going off. Worst case scenario is he's right...

Yet everyone including yourself were full on board back in the days of Swaggerville.   

Their is a difference between having arrogance/confidence... and having a guy with potential off ice issues.  Nearly every 18 year old that I know (including myself back in the day) had a great deal of confidence (arrogance) at that age.    If his only issue is that he thinks that he is king **** then whatever I'm all for it.

I'd be way more concerned with Matthews where some reports suggest that he only wants to play down south and has no interest being so far away from home.  That's much more alarming to me.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Yet everyone including yourself were full on board back in the days of Swaggerville.   

Their is a difference between having arrogance/confidence... and having a guy with potential off ice issues.  Nearly every 18 year old that I know (including myself back in the day) had a great deal of confidence (arrogance) at that age.    If his only issue is that he thinks that he is king **** then whatever I'm all for it.

I'd be way more concerned with Matthews where some reports suggest that he only wants to play down south and has no interest being so far away from home.  That's much more alarming to me.

Couple of things -- re: Swaggerville. Hockey and Football are hugely, drastically different sports in that regard. That attitude is encouraged in Football. In hockey, I want the exact opposite. But, that's me.

re: "Their"....should be "There"

re: Matthews: He's said multiple times he's really happy to be going to Toronto. I think some people want to make up stuff about him for whatever reason, but I've never seen anything legitimate saying that he only wants to play down south. Now, having said that, Matthews is American, and I don't trust an American hockey player much more than I trust a Russian......so not much.

They had an interesting discussion on TSN1290 the other morning, comparing the choice between Laine and Puljujärvi as similar to the 2004 draft when Ovechkin and Malkin went 1 and 2.

Now who knows if these Fins will ever match what these two have done, but with the benefit of hindsight, who would you pick between Ovechkin and Malkin.

13 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Couple of things -- re: Swaggerville. Hockey and Football are hugely, drastically different sports in that regard. That attitude is encouraged in Football. In hockey, I want the exact opposite. But, that's me.

re: "Their"....should be "There"

re: Matthews: He's said multiple times he's really happy to be going to Toronto. I think some people want to make up stuff about him for whatever reason, but I've never seen anything legitimate saying that he only wants to play down south. Now, having said that, Matthews is American, and I don't trust an American hockey player much more than I trust a Russian......so not much.

I don't necessarily disagree....but isn't this part of the sport's problem? Lack of marketability & personality from the game's very best?

Take Evander Kane's time here. I was never one to have a huge issue with the moneyphone pic, the other social media posts - even the arrogance/cockyness. It was the arrogance COUPLED with the fact he never lived up to expectations (his own, even) and wasn't a good teammate (forget the shower; bringing his GF on the road, being aloof during off-time etc).

If Patrik Laine develops into one of the game's best scorers and is a well-liked teammate - no fan (IMO) should worry about personality over production. Hell, Buff's been a fan favourite since day 1 and how many of us wanted him moved when he was out of shape and a defensive liability?

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I don't necessarily disagree....but isn't this part of the sport's problem? Lack of marketability & personality from the game's very best?

See, now I know it might be just me, but I don't see it as a problem. Hockey is a sport that shouldn't require external hype. The players don't need to be "characters". The game is exciting enough...let the games sell themselves. If the players are good enough...talented enough....then they'll create buzz without having to be brash, outspoken characters.