Patrik Laine

Ducky

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Marchand isn't much better.  That cheap shot on Komarov yesterday was ridiculous.  I was actually kind of ashamed of some of our goon tactics yesterday, including Brassard slashing the goalie.  Why is Marchand even on this team?

For this type of tournament we should be sending the best players that didn't make or go far in the playoffs and not s&^% disturbers, its great to beat up on the lower tier teams but when we play the elite teams our deficiencies come through. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Assuming Toronto takes Matthews, if the Jets dont take Laine it means a lot of very smart people who should know, were very wrong.

Big fart noise to this.

A lot of people get paid to speak.  So very few of them are qualified to make half the claims they make.  Is Darren Dreger breaking down game film from 800 draft prospects, going over good games and bad games for each one, calling their coaches, talking to teammates, and assessing the maturity level of those 800 players?  Is he then taking that information and using it to match the present and future needs of each team?  No he does not.  And that's a guy who I respect and think is pretty good at his job.  Yet he'll get plenty of airtime to voice his opinions on the subject.

It's hive mind.  Craig Button and Bob McKenzie say something, then everyone else repeats it because they know those two guys are smarter than they are.  What your statement fails to allow for is the very high probability that the Jets scouts are smarter than McKenzie and Button.

If the skill sets of Laine and Puljarvi have been accurately represented to me, then Laine is my choice because it is the rarer skill set.  They may still be completely equal players as an overall grade.

18 hours ago, Ducky said:

Noeller, a lot of players don't care about the World Championships which is unfortunate. For a decade Jarome Iginla refused to go overseas. he always had some lame excuse. I'd have respected him more if he said he thought the World Championships aren't worth his time but instead it was always wanting more family time or he had some kind of secret injury. I think his attitude was really bad & there's a reason why every team he's played on never won a Stanley Cup. Posters here can say what they want about Corey Perry but he shows up whenever Canada comes calling.

I'm no Flames fan, believe me. These guys could care less. Pretty obvious they enjoy their time off on the golf course, making the NHL playoffs & playing till June would take away from that. So why would they want to play for Canada when it's such a pain in the ass for them?

Edited by iso_55

10 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

I'm no Flames fan, believe me. These guys could care less. Pretty obvious they enjoy their time off on the golf course, making the NHL playoffs & playing till June would take away from that. So why would they want to play for Canada when it's such a pain in the ass for them?

*Couldn't care less...

...and yes, indeed.

I just had beers with my Finnish friend, who reads all of the Finnish papers and is still well-connected with the Finnish hockey scene.  He said two things:

1. The idiotic trip by Perry on Laine is the number one news story in Finland right now.  Let's just say if Corey Perry was in Finland right now he'd have to get on the first plane out of there if he valued his life.

2. I asked him flat out - Laine or Pulujarvi and he just laughed and said "If Winnipeg doesn't take Laine then I don't know what the hell they are doing.  It's not even close." I wish Goalie had been there.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I just had beers with my Finnish friend, who reads all of the Finnish papers and is still well-connected with the Finnish hockey scene.  He said two things:

1. The idiotic trip by Perry on Laine is the number one news story in Finland right now.  Let's just say if Corey Perry was in Finland right now he'd have to get on the first plane out of there if he valued his life.

2. I asked him flat out - Laine or Pulujarvi and he just laughed and said "If Winnipeg doesn't take Laine then I don't know what the hell they are doing.  It's not even close." I wish Goalie had been there.

I think your friend is 100% right on both points

23 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I've never said I'd take Puljujarvi instead. All I've really said is there is a chance the Jets might.  Rich's post was pretty spot on. Interviews will play a role. If I was a betting man I'd put money on them taking Laine but.... I'm just here to remind people that there is a chance that they take Puljujarvi. I get Laine is good. So is Puljujarvi. Some rankings have Puljujarvi at 2 actually. I'm just going to let the scouts do their jobs and whoever of Laine Puljujarvi Matthews they take at 2 is fine with me. I don't have a favorite. It's really irrelevant what you,me ,your friend, bathroom bill over in the 2nd deck thinks.... it's what the scouts think. If they take neither of those 3.... questions will need to be asked. 

Edited by Goalie

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I've never said I'd take Puljujarvi instead. All I've really said is there is a chance the Jets might.  Rich's post was pretty spot on. Interviews will play a role. If I was a betting man I'd put money on them taking Laine but.... I'm just here to remind people that there is a chance that they take Puljujarvi. I get Laine is good. So is Puljujarvi. Some rankings have Puljujarvi at 2 actually. I'm just going to let the scouts do their jobs and whoever of Laine Puljujarvi Matthews they take at 2 is fine with me. I don't have a favorite. It's really irrelevant what you,me ,your friend, bathroom bill over in the 2nd deck thinks.... it's what the scouts think. 

Well I thought it interesting to get a perspective of a Finn who lives and breathes Finnish hockey.  He says that the Jets have to take Laine.  In fact he was saying that he understands that the Leafs have to take Auston Matthews at first overall as they need a center, but the Finns think it's not even close, Laine is a once in a generation player, and he said in Finland they couldn't believe how lucky the Jets were to get number two.  He said he saw Selanne play as an 18 year old and his buddies think that Laine is that kind of a player, different style but destined for the same kind of greatness as Selanne.  They are pretty excited to see "the next Selanne" also playing in Winnipeg as they know how much Teemu loved Winnipeg.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

I've never said I'd take Puljujarvi instead. All I've really said is there is a chance the Jets might.  Rich's post was pretty spot on. Interviews will play a role. If I was a betting man I'd put money on them taking Laine but.... I'm just here to remind people that there is a chance that they take Puljujarvi. I get Laine is good. So is Puljujarvi. Some rankings have Puljujarvi at 2 actually. I'm just going to let the scouts do their jobs and whoever of Laine Puljujarvi Matthews they take at 2 is fine with me. I don't have a favorite. It's really irrelevant what you,me ,your friend, bathroom bill over in the 2nd deck thinks.... it's what the scouts think. If they take neither of those 3.... questions will need to be asked. 

Who has him ranked at 2nd?

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Here's who we are drafting and this is from my source in the Jets.

We are drafting a Finn who shoots right.

Sigh, we need to make a deal with CBJ for their pick :)

Yeah - trade em Enstrom, Burmi and #22 overall.  Or wait for Torts to run Puljujarvi out of Columbus like he did Johansen and get Pulju in a trade next year.

I'll say this, If Toronto takes Laine first overall and if in interviews Jets find out that maybe Matthews isn't really interested in playing here long term, that would make for some interesting times. 

You'd almost have to call up CBJ or maybe they would call the Jets and ask what they would like for 2nd overall... Werenski is a no go, but Ryan Murray is a pretty good LHD plus the 3rd overall pick would definitely make me think about it. Especially if the Jets are higher on Puljujarvi than they are on Matthews. 

Should be interesting. If the Leafs take Laine first overall... man oh man, stuff is gonna get more interesting for sure.

What Matthews is doing at the Worlds tho is pretty phenomenal, he's taking a US team with 3rd line NHLers and a bunch of College kids and more than likely are going to win a medal. Laine is on a Finland team that has a bunch of stars and future stars on it, Barkov, Jussi Jokinen, Aho is another, that's just off the top of my head. Laine is playing with some damn good players, Matthews is basically doing it all by himself. 

Toronto takes Laine first? What would you do? Take Matthews or hope CBJ calls you up and asks what you want for 2nd overall cuz CBJ needs that center more than we do at the moment. Be tough to turn that center down if i'm the Jets but... be tough to turn down Puljujarvi and Murray too probably. or Werenski and Puljujarvi (doubt CBJ moves Werenski tho)