Patrik Laine

Ducky

25 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trouba played 1LHD for awhile this season, correct?  So lets assume they do that again.  They really do need to draft a couple of quality D men because Entrom and Buff are not getting any younger.

Buff is getting better though which is weird.

He's playing a much smarter game and realizes it is to his and the team's benefit. After 5 years we might be wishing Chevy signed him to a 6 year deal.

I'm okay with Trouba playing LHD another season but if there is an expansion draft, the D could be in for a shake up. We really do need a couple of top pairing LHD on the team. I wouldn't be adverse to sending some players and/or picks for a starting 2LHD depending on the draft situation. Morrissey deserving to make the team this fall would be great for the D corps.

A free agent stay at home D man would be nice but I'm not sure if there are any out there and the expansion draft looms there too.

The Expansion draft, which i doubt will happen, cuz it's basically all quiet on that front, I'd look for relocation of Carolina and maybe Arizona still, but... regardless, the expansion draft hopefully plays no role in their thinking. The Jets will lose a player in the expansion draft if there is one, need to accept that, all teams will lose a player, Also with the Jets having tons of forward prospects, it wouldn't shock me to see them move a couple for D help, Sanheim in Philly would be a guy i might look to target.. Philly needs Forward help, Jets need LHD help, It's a match... Untouchable Jets are obviously Scheif,Ehlers,Connor,Pick 2, Little,Wheeler.. Lemieux probably is close to untouchable also... Maybe Petan plus Armia for Sanheim is fair.. who knows. He is a LHD tho and would help us, not this year but down the line he would plus he's expansion exempt. 

The LHD issue is somewhat over exaggerated tho, I mean if Trouba plays the left, Enstrom,Trouba,Morrissey,Chiarot,Stuart <-- could be worse, Poolman will sign when his UND career finishes up and he's a left handed D man also... it would be nice to get LHD but i wouldn't go insane here trying to find one... Philly tho is a fit, it's a match there, they have LHD prospects, we have forward prospects, It just makes sense there. 

Jets will lose players the next little while, whether it's because of expansion draft or putting them on waivers and them being picked up by another team, or trades, It's gonna happen, it's what happens when you have tons of prospects who are knocking on the doors, some are still waiver exempt but a couple won't be very soon, Believe Lipon,Kosmachuk and Armia are not waiver exempt this season, could very well lose one or more of them, burmi could be lost via waivers or trade.. 

LHD is a concern, but it's not really a huge one... Buff, Trouba. Myers.Enstrom. <-- solid top 4. Yup Enstrom is older, so Morrissey replaces him on the 2nd pair with Myers in a year or 2.... Poolman replaces Chiarot on the third pair... 

Would be nice to get a d man with 22 and 36 tho, and i'm sure they will... funny thing about D men, sometimes the guy drafted early doesn't turn out to be the best one, sometimes it's the guy that's drafted later... and this draft, it's very likely that a guy like Jake  Bean or Kale Clague or even Dante Fabbro, when it's all said and done are better than Juolevi, Segarchev and Chychrun. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

He's playing a much smarter game and realizes it is to his and the team's benefit. After 5 years we might be wishing Chevy signed him to a 6 year deal.

I'm okay with Trouba playing LHD another season but if there is an expansion draft, the D could be in for a shake up. We really do need a couple of top pairing LHD on the team. I wouldn't be adverse to sending some players and/or picks for a starting 2LHD depending on the draft situation. Morrissey deserving to make the team this fall would be great for the D corps.

A free agent stay at home D man would be nice but I'm not sure if there are any out there and the expansion draft looms there too.

Buff still takes too many penalties.  Dumb ones too.  He needs to work on that.  Granted, sometimes he gets the call just because he's so big.

15 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yeah.  Stupid hockey fans talking hockey on a hockey fan forum.

I love when someone takes the time to try and sound wiser than others while accusing them of wasting their time.  If you don't want to engage in trade discussions, don't bother.

This thread is in regards to Patrick Laine,  not about fantasy trades.

Congrats on getting some courage though! 

The ridiculous trades for Myers has been going on for 6 months... it's not happening and at this point it's almost like spam when someone brings up trading Myers and Enstrom for a different name every week.    It cheapens the boards and reminds me a lot of the crap Nate would post week in and week out on the old site.  

10 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They could pull an EDM and only play him 1 game.

He won't be playing. He's playing for  Team Finland at the World Cup. He's not playing in the young stars tourney at all. He should be at developmental camp in WPG but it's highly unlikely he even plays 1 game at that young stars exhibition tournament where the winner gets nothing. 

Edited by Goalie

12 hours ago, Goalie said:

Kbf: Laine making the world cup almost certainly guarantees he's not a participant in the young stars tourney. Might have to settle for Connor 

I think I can settle for that.  It would be doubtful that Laine would play in that tourney anyway.  Kind of like how McDavid only played one game and everyone here was mad because they'd bought Oiler tickets with the expectation of seeing him play all of the games.

It would be fun to speculate who is going to be on the Jets Young Stars this year.  Last year it was loaded with Helle in net, Morrissey on D, Lemieux, Ehlers, Petan, De Leo, Kosmo and a bunch of other guys I can't remember, other than Axel Blomquist who could barely skate.  That team should have dominated but didn't play very well.  The game I was at the only thing that kept me from falling asleep was PK Subban's brother taking a run at Ehlers and Lemieux instantly dropping the gloves and going after him.  No one else did anything, but Lemieux didn't hesitate.

So this year's team - Comrie in net, Connor up front, then a bunch of CHL prospects/draft picks from this year and the past few years as the NCAA guys can't attend.  

EDIT:

http://www.coppernblue.com/prospects-3/2015/9/11/9310835/oilers-young-stars-penticton-mcdavid-how-to-watch-flames-canucks

Here were the rosters from last year's tourney.  Andrew Copp was also playing for Winnipeg.  So was Jan Kostalek.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Not sure Comrie qualifies. He played a season in the AHL.. he might but it very well could be (drafted goalie)(think the Jets take a goalie with a pick this year eventually) and free agent signing goalie instead. 

I don't think the rules are that hard and fast for this tournament.  Draisaitl played in last year's tournament and he had 37 games with the Oilers under his belt by that point.  The only rule seems to be to disallow NCAA player participation which is a giant failing in my opinion.  The NCAA should allow for an exemption to allow NHL teams to pay their way for the NCAA kids to play in Penticton.  Makes no sense that they have to buy their own airfare and pay for their own meals just to play.  And even then they probably would fall afoul of some other NCAA rule.  Just ridiculous.  The Jets would have some major firepower if they could have Roslovic and the rest of their NCAA players playing instead of kids that are just there to fill the roster and probably won't make even Tulsa's roster.

• 3 weeks later...