Patrik Laine

Ducky

28 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Couple of things -- re: Swaggerville. Hockey and Football are hugely, drastically different sports in that regard. That attitude is encouraged in Football.

How so?     Both are team sports and usually fans like a player with confidence.     The NBA has always had the same kind of deal where the cocky guys are beloved (Prime Jordan for example). 

Evander Kane was a mixture of cocky and pure a$$h$$e.    He alienated his team mates. 

From all accounts Laine is a good team mate.    I don't see the reason for concern?    If anything down the road it may energize and help the club over the years to have a guy who is animated and will get the guys going.      Not everyone has to be boring old generic Andrew Ladd dry as toast kind of guys....

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Buying in to the hype machine 2 much I see. 

The gap between Laine and Puljujarvi isn't as huge as people make it out to be. 

But guess we will see what happens Friday 

Jets value character players. If Laine has any sort of character issues that the jets are aware of... they won't take him. They will take Puljujarvi.  It's not always about taking the so called best player. .. it's about character potential fitting in.... among other things.  

If Jets pass on Laine it means they aren't convinced he's the right guy for this team. 

I get this feeling that Puljujarvi will be the better player in the long run. 

People can believe what they want but if the jets pass on Laine they have their reasons. 

People probably cried when jets took scheif over couturier or Hamilton in 2011 also but that worked out well.  Jets know what they are doing and whoever they pick... Laine or Puljujarvi will be the right choice 

I'm going to tell you y your wrong.In the World hockey tournament the Canadian players were after Laine they knew he was Finlands best player. We take Laine or Mathews that's it. The only 2 who have separated themselves from the rest of the top 10. That's why 3-10 are talking about trading down.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Without ripping off Craig Button too much - I have to echo his sentiment from 1290 this morning.

Until the pick is made, emotional attachment to either Finn is over the top. 

They'll be a great, potentially franchise-changing, player available at #2 who the Jets will select. If it's Laine, we're getting a pure sniper. If it's JP, we're getting a 2-way FW with some offensive flair.

Can we go wrong? Sure. Will we know after the pick is made? Try 3 years down the line, if you want to truly judge properly.

Personally - I'm on the Laine bandwagon. Not because I believe he's head and shoulders above JP - I'm not a paid scout, how would I know? But because I think what Laine brings is increasingly harder and rarer to find - elite level scoring, single handily transforms our PP, all with size and some grit. It goes without saying, the thing none of us can possible know is how the Jets interpret him - as a player, but more importantly as a person. We know how much TNSE values character, much to the chagrin of the analytics crowd :)

FIRST OFFICIAL PREDICTION by me.... 1) Matthews  2) Laine  3) JP - as most have predicted. 

Oh and  Bombers win the opener by 4.

yup - Laine on the point is gold Jerry gold!!

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Couple of things -- re: Swaggerville. Hockey and Football are hugely, drastically different sports in that regard. That attitude is encouraged in Football. In hockey, I want the exact opposite. But, that's me.

re: "Their"....should be "There"

re: Matthews: He's said multiple times he's really happy to be going to Toronto. I think some people want to make up stuff about him for whatever reason, but I've never seen anything legitimate saying that he only wants to play down south. Now, having said that, Matthews is American, and I don't trust an American hockey player much more than I trust a Russian......so not much.

I honestly think Matthews could be Kessel 2.0.

2 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I think he said that his favorite player is Ovechkin, but that being said, what player did you want him to compare himself to?  Phil Sykes?

he said he compares himself to Ovechkin...that's where his ceiling is. In fact, I believe there's a quote where he said "Give me 5 years, and I'll be like Ovechkin"....and he compared Matthews to Toews. That's pretty much all I needed to hear...

10 hours ago, Goalie said:

Buying in to the hype machine 2 much I see. 

The gap between Laine and Puljujarvi isn't as huge as people make it out to be. 

No I am buying in to what my Finnish hockey fanatic buddy is telling me, and he follows Finnish hockey and reads everything about their hockey players.  He says if the Jets don't take Laine then they are completely nuts and don't know what they are doing.  But that's just coming from a guy who lives and breathes Finnish hockey, so what does he know.

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

he said he compares himself to Ovechkin...that's where his ceiling is. In fact, I believe there's a quote where he said "Give me 5 years, and I'll be like Ovechkin"....and he compared Matthews to Toews. That's pretty much all I needed to hear...

all you needed to hear to do what?  I still don't understand what's so wrong with saying that your goal is to be the next Ovechkin.  I'd be more worried if he was saying "Give me five years and I'll be the next Cody Hodgson...

Yeah it would be awful to have a 50 goal scorer. For the record, I'm pretty sure this is just BOB and other GM's talking out their butts to get clicks and to hype the draft... but the other part says it's a very real possibility that the Jets take Puljujarvi instead. Personally, I'm happy with either one, It's fine with me whoever they pick as long as it is one of Laine or Puljujarvi, Toronto IS taking Matthews BTW, that's a lock for sure. Jets will have their choice between Laine and Puljujarvi and will chose the guy they feel best suits this organization... Looking at it from a Jets perspective, what do they need? They need a sniper, they have the potential to have a couple already tho in Connor and Ehlers and even Scheif for that matter. All 3 of those guys easily could be 30 goal guys if it all goes well so the head says Laine is the guy. However, the Jets do value character and they have done their due diligence here, Character is important to the JETS, it's hugely important. They have all the answers on these guys, If you listened to Chevy he's mentioned they talk to family, friends, teachers, coaches etc... it's not just as simple as holy crap this guy scored a bunch of goals... it's about the person also, how he fits, what he's like off the ice...

I just don't think people who have honestly not seen either of these guys play very much should set their hopes so high on one particular player... The fact is, these scouts know more than all of us combined and have a pretty solid draft history actually, i trust their judgment. It's not my ass on the line, it's not theirs either, I'll tell you this much tho, if the Jets are making decisions based on who the fans want, Chevy and his scouts should be fired immediately. Take the guy they want and see what happens.

Puljujarvi isn't some scrub either, he's a legit top 6 talent also just like Laine, he can score, he plays a 200 foot game, he's a set up guy, he can actually do it all, he's a damn good player, just like Laine... damn good player, whoever the Jets take, Likely Laine, just seems likely at this point, then I'm fine with, if it's not Laine and it's Puljujarvi, then that's ok too. They will both be very good players and down the line, 3 years from now, nobody really knows who the better player will be. 

hey, I stated right off the hop, it's just my opinion. I hate Ovechkin...one of my least favourite players ever in the NHL. I think he's a cheap prick out there...skates with his knee out a lot, will take cheap shots on other players. He's one dimensional (he's got one trick, but it's a hell of a trick) and it's been proven over and over that he's not a winner. Just can't stand the guy and isn't someone I'd want my prospects to be modeled after. 

But, again, that's just me....I'm totally fine with people who like the guy as a player.

7 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

No I am buying in to what my Finnish hockey fanatic buddy is telling me, and he follows Finnish hockey and reads everything about their hockey players.  He says if the Jets don't take Laine then they are completely nuts and don't know what they are doing.  But that's just coming from a guy who lives and breathes Finnish hockey, so what does he know.

Not as much as the scouts know. Bottom Line. 

2 minutes ago, Noeller said:

hey, I stated right off the hop, it's just my opinion. I hate Ovechkin...one of my least favourite players ever in the NHL. I think he's a cheap prick out there...skates with his knee out a lot, will take cheap shots on other players. He's one dimensional (he's got one trick, but it's a hell of a trick) and it's been proven over and over that he's not a winner. Just can't stand the guy and isn't someone I'd want my prospects to be modeled after. 

But, again, that's just me....I'm totally fine with people who like the guy as a player.

I hear yeah there but he just said he plays the game like Ovechkin, Laine is not a dirty player out there, as a matter of fact, you look at his penalty minutes and they are very low, I just think in terms of style, that's who he compares himself too. I don't think thats a huge concern at all... Barkov compared himself to Ovechkin his draft year also and went 2nd overall to Florida and has turned in to a stud.. it's just the style they play, Right handed shooting goal scorer really. 

The character concerns about Laine would be more like giving his coach the finger a few years ago but... everyone is young and stupid at times and it seems like he's learned and that's all you want from a guy. I trust the scouts to make the right decision, if it's laine, so be it. If it's Puljujarvi, so be it. It's going to be one or the other. I just don't think people should get caught up in the hype of one player so much cuz you know that if the Jets take Laine and in 3 years Puljujarvi is the better player, a very real possibility, then people will be crapping on the Jets saying they should have taken Puljujarvi. I guess people need to remember that without Puljujarvi and AHO for that matter feeing Laine the puck at the World Juniors, he wouldn't have scored as much, without Barkov feeding him the puck at the World Championships, he wouldn't have done as much either. 

Fine line here for sure. People buying the hype too much but reality really is the gap between Laine and Puljujarvi isn't as huge as people are making it out to be. 

Laine has the flair, the personality, the confidence, kind of rockstar style... Puljujarvi is more humble and down to earth it seems. 

Wouldn't shock me one bit to see the jets walk up to the podium and say winnipeg selects from Karpat Liiga... Jesse Puljujarvi.

Wouldn't shock me if they walked up and said " From Tappara Liiga, Patrick Laine". 

Columbus apparently calling leafs and Jets about moving up...

Something to consider here

To Columbus

Pick 2. 

Roslovic

To Winnipeg

Pick 3

Werenski or Murray

Hartnell as a cap dump of sorts

Jets get one of the finns, They get LHD help also. Columbus gets their finn plus a future center PLUs some cap relief. 

I'd consider it for sure. Puljujarvi plus a legit LHD? How couldn't you. That is worth more than Laine is. 

13 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I'd consider it for sure. Puljujarvi plus a legit LHD? How couldn't you. That is worth more than Laine is. 

It would be even better if the Jets had already decided they wanted Puljujarvi! Anything on top of the 2nd overall for the 3rd would be a good deal.

How about 3rd overall and CBJs 1st rounder next year for the 2nd pick? Since we're throwing around ideas.

It would really depend on who the Jets are after in the draft.

One thing for sure in that trade you suggested.  I would consider  Werenski but not Murray.  Werenski is exempt from the expansion draft.  Murray is not.

If we get Murray we are then losing him or Myers in expansion, barring other trades.

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

It would be even better if the Jets had already decided they wanted Puljujarvi! Anything on top of the 2nd overall for the 3rd would be a good deal.

How about 3rd overall and CBJs 1st rounder next year for the 2nd pick? Since we're throwing around ideas.

Laine and our other first round pick(22nd? 24th?)  for CBJ's 3rd and 1st next year.

11 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Laine and our other first round pick(22nd? 24th?)  for CBJ's 3rd and 1st next year.

I can't see Chevy trading away this pick, he likes more developing through the draft not wheeling and dealing. Not his MO. I don't see him pulling the trigger on this.