Wrestling

Rich

9 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

They want to cut back on the amount of PPV's in total.  The feeling had been that adding PPV's would drive network subscriptions but that wasnt the case.  So extra PPV's just add expenses with very little revenue (outside of live audience ticket sales which have been soft as well).  They also feel its tougher to book TV when there are the occasional long gaps between brand-specific PPV's (although to me this is more a by-product of shitty writers). 

The Network was profitable but way, way, way behind estimates when they launched.  They backed off on buying video libraries too because they found that the archives are not subscription drivers.  In fact the only thing that is, is the Rumble to Mania season where they add a lot of subs, generally off the back of cheap or free subscriptions and then slowly lose subs the rest of the year.

Thanks for that.

That Rousey segment started out rough but ended up pretty great. Even if it means the Steph Show. It was well done. 

Just starting the main now and it’s been a “good” show but nothing great.  I really liked Asuka vs Jax though I’m seeing people say it ate up Asuka too much. 

They have to get Matt away from bray. Bray is the kiss of death for everyone. 

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

missed this one.  but I heard it's going to be brock vs roman at WM34, as was foretold by prophecy

Image result for roman reigns vince mcmahon gif

It was rather lackluster.  The women's chamber match was much better.  It was very paint by number.  Braun pinned everyone and then was pinned by Roman.

Cena has been awful since his return.  very weak offense and slow.  Him vs Undertaker will need a lot of smoke and mirrors.

WWE doing a worked-shoot angle for Brock/Roman.  Very unusual for WWE and seemingly trying to make Roman a de facto babyface by having the fans turn on Brock for "betraying" them and putting UFC ahead of WWE.

Good angle with Ronda and Steph although Steph is so annoying and not in a "good" way.  Looks like Hunter & Steph vs Ronda & Angle (which I posited was the right direction awhile back).  They wanted Rocky (who shares an agent with Ronda) but its hard to get him insured.  It wouldnt surprise me to see him involved in a non-wrestling manner though.

On 2/26/2018 at 9:56 AM, The Unknown Poster said:

It was rather lackluster.  The women's chamber match was much better.  It was very paint by number.  Braun pinned everyone and then was pinned by Roman.

Cena has been awful since his return.  very weak offense and slow.  Him vs Undertaker will need a lot of smoke and mirrors.

I could totally see the WWE doing a "Smoke & MIrrors Match" in a dark room with like a dozen mirrors and a fog machine.

FOX Sports President (and some other FOX execs) were at Smackdown last night in L.A.  Adding to the speculation that FOX could be a bidder for WWE TV rights this year.

Weird rumor making the rounds that Rey Rey was also at SD last night to finalize a deal to work Cena at WrestleMania.  Appears to be BS as Rey was apparently at home (though home is San Diego, I believe).

Looks like Braun vs Miz for WM is off the books now and Braun might be saved as a "back up plan" for Brock/Roman (not sure what that would entail as the Brock angle is surely a work).  If its me, I'd consider keeping Braun off WM (with some random threat to be there) and have Roman beat Brock and then cut a heel promo claiming he would be champion forever and if anyone says otherwise, they can come out right now...cue Braun who beats Roman for the title (bit of a Hogan/Yoko/Bret angle).  The idea would be a "surprise" that ends on a big high rather then risking a massive crowd crapping all over Roman to end the show.

So the reason Braun is being saved is as a Plan B in case Roman is implicated in using drugs and has to be suspended.  Its an interesting story because it seemed pretty shady but its gained a bit of traction just based on the people claiming that Roman ordered steroids and that they will release detailed evidence.

Its based on a company called Wellness Fitness Nutrition Inc, owned by Richard Rodriguez who used it to distribute steroids.  He got busted.  A few weeks ago he said he had sold to many known people including Roman, Josh Duhamel and Mark Wahlberg.  Duhamel denied it.  Roman denied even knowing who this person was.  The story was picked up by a few outlets but didnt get a lot of traction.

But an associate of Richard Rodriguez gave an interview where he claimed Roman had ordered large quantities from them for which WWE suspended him in 2016.  They imply he continued to order from them.  And claim they will release the details soon.

If there is any truth to it, and its only drugs prior to Roman's 2016 suspension, WWE will likely do nothing and simply say he served his suspension already.  If its after that time and the evidence is compelling, they could be in a bit of a jam so close to WM.

Supposedly WWE is doing an internal investigation right now but going ahead with the WM plan unless something changes.  WWE's Wellness policy would result in a 60 day suspension for Roman if he gets caught a second time which obviously puts him past WM.  But they changed the rules to where they could keep booking guys who are suspended if need be (I dont think they ever kept anyone fully on TV but rather then get rid of them immediately, wrote them off TV to serve their suspension).  So they could suspend Roman and keep him working through WM.  But if any mainstream outlets pick it up (and I would think because its WM season some would), there would be lots of pressure on them.

For starters, explain how you claim to have this incredible wellness program and guys still manage to test clean while using PED's.  And they;d likely have to change plans with Roman.  The bigger issue is not just letting his serve a 60 day suspension and all is well, their policy requires termination for a 3rd wellness failure.  They have a clause (joking called the Orton Clause) where you can earn back your failures over time.  It was named after Orton because he kept getting suspended and they were faced with firing a young top guy.  There was other trickery with Orton who, by some accounts, had like 4-5 failures and other suspensions.

Im not sure how WWE would trust Roman going forward if he's told them he's clean and evidence comes out showing he was buying PED's by the truck load (these guys claim over $100,000 of PEDs being bought by some guys).

I might be over thinking this but part of the Braun hold-back might be to end WM on a high note.  Roman pinning Brock will get cheered...and then boo'ed (unless this worked shoot successfully gets the fans turned against Lesnar).  If you somehow end with an impromptu match of Braun beating Roman (or Brock) for the title, you end on a high note.

Originally Braun was to work Miz at WM.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Hillbilly Jim announced for the Hall of Fame.  I had forgotten all about him and would have guessed he was already in.  He wasnt on any of the "rumored" lists...maybe they arent going to do Bam Bam this year.

I'm shocked he's not in. He was one of the "original" superstars of the 80s.

He was one of Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestlers for cryin' out loud!

1 hour ago, JCon said:

I'm shocked he's not in. He was one of the "original" superstars of the 80s.

He was one of Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestlers for cryin' out loud!

Definitely one of the most recognizable characters from that era. Count me amongst those who are surprised he's not in already.

I don't remember Hill billy Jim  being much of anything other then a wrestler of that mid-late 80s wrestling era - which of course has a nostalgic resonation with me. But if I had to compare to today's day and age would he be anything more then a Bray Wyatt - someone I feel wouldn't be deserving of much post career accolades at this point.  If I was going off of old nostalgia to induct people there's a bunch of others I'd put in first if they aren't already there like the Junk Yard Dog and Koko B. Ware

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

55 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I don't remember Hill billy Jim  being much of anything other then a wrestler of that mid-late 80s wrestling era - which of course has a nostalgic resonation with me. But if I had to compare to today's day and age would he be anything more then a Bray Wyatt - someone I feel wouldn't be deserving of much post career accolades at this point.  If I was going off of old nostalgia to induct people there's a bunch of others I'd put in first if they aren't already there like the Junk Yard Dog and Koko B. Ware

They both are in already. 

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

Jim was a big star in that he teamed with Hogan a lot. 

And keep in mind the HOF isn’t a real HOF. Everyone goes in eventually. Koko is in. So pretty much everyone “deserves” to go in lol 

25 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I wonder why they wouldn't put Vader in since I think he isn't suppose to live much longer?  

Good question. I think there is some question as to the validity of Vader’s health. The other thing could be he wasn’t a big wwe star and even though they have WCW stars in, they focus more on WWE.  

25 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

speaking of rock n wrestling would this be the final character to enter the HOF?  the only one im not sure of is Wendi richter...

Image result for wendi richter

but im not sure if this was her induction or her inducting someone else

Image result for wendi richter

Wendy is in.