Wrestling

Rich

WWE is holding a big event in Saudi Arabia as part of a ten year deal with the government.  Its called the Greatest Royal Rumble and will feature a 50 man rumble and 7 title matches.  Hunter vs Cena on the card.  They're pulling out all the stops.  Believed to be a live Network special.  April 27th.

But...

There will be no women's wrestlers on the show, but female fans are allowed to attend.

In 2018.

I get the business aspect.  But it sucks to read that.  Women's Evolution y'all.

Anyway, New Japan's long beach show was last night.  I mostly watched the main event.  Omega & Kota Ibushi vs the Young Bucks.  If you like your wrestling with a healthy dose of drama and story telling, this is a match for you.  The subtle (and not so subtle) stuff they did was tremendous.  Kenny had a badly swollen face by the end and suspected a broken bone, hopefully not.   I recommend the match especially if you're interested but have trouble getting into "Japanese wrestling".  Three North Americans and Kota, who is one of the best in the world.  He declined a WWE contract couple years ago.  Really good.  Jim Ross did commentary.

New Japan is returning to California this summer.  So they are ramping up their US shows.  I imagine its going to annoy WWE at some point here which means big contract offers for some key New Japan guys! lol

Ibushi seemed a bit off his game last night but it was still a phenomenal match.  The BC/BTE stuff saved the card for me.. felt like they could have used guys like Okada & Naito better since it was one of their rare US cards.

Looking forward to the ROH card on the 7th.

15 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Ibushi seemed a bit off his game last night but it was still a phenomenal match.  The BC/BTE stuff saved the card for me.. felt like they could have used guys like Okada & Naito better since it was one of their rare US cards.

Looking forward to the ROH card on the 7th.

I think Ibushi struck his head on the post and was a bit loopy.  There was another spot where he didnt quit duck out of the way quick enough when Kenny did a moonsault and it looked like they struck heads.

Kenny's timing is ridiculous though.  His stuff is incredibly tight.  All the guys involved in the Bullt Club break up and the different stories, have been spot on. 

Making me look forward to Omega vs Cody!

WWE reports that Shane McMahon has been hospitalized with diverticulitis.

Im assuming this is true even though the WWE.com story references the storyline with KO and Zayn because if you wanted to put Shane in the hospital or remove him from WM with a fake injury, they'd just use the beating.

I believe Vince also had diverticulitis and Brock had it which ended his first UFC stint.  If Shane needs surgery I imagine he wont be available for WM.

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Ask a stupid question, get a sarcastic answer.  “I do not have the ability to go back in time, no” Lol 

That guy is being a ****.  Rather than admitting he botched his stupid question and correcting himself, he acts all exasperated like it's her fault.

She didn't misunderstand the question at all... that implies the question made sense in the first place.  He had a chance to correct himself and still spits out "Would you go back in time and fight again?"

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

That guy is being a ****.  Rather than admitting he botched his stupid question and correcting himself, he acts all exasperated like it's her fault.

She didn't misunderstand the question at all... that implies the question made sense in the first place.  He had a chance to correct himself and still spits out "Would you go back in time and fight again?"

I agree.  I saw this on another forum where they are being negative about Ronda.  The guy doing the interview does a piss-poor job of phrasing his question and then doubles down by essentially repeating the poorly phrased part - "Would you go back in time?"  I'd make fun of the guy too, if I were being interviews. 

How about "When did you decide to leave MMA?"  "Is there any chance you'd consider fighting in MMA again?"  Pretty simple questions.  Would you go back in time...lol 

21 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WWE reports that Shane McMahon has been hospitalized with diverticulitis.

Im assuming this is true even though the WWE.com story references the storyline with KO and Zayn because if you wanted to put Shane in the hospital or remove him from WM with a fake injury, they'd just use the beating.

I believe Vince also had diverticulitis and Brock had it which ended his first UFC stint.  If Shane needs surgery I imagine he wont be available for WM.

Jericho is rumored but Fozzy concert. Id like to see bryan bring in Gargano. If anyone in NXT deserves a mania check its Gargano. 

17 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Jericho is rumored but Fozzy concert. Id like to see bryan bring in Gargano. If anyone in NXT deserves a mania check its Gargano. 

Gargano would be an easy fill in story line-wise and get a great reaction.  Im sort of of that mind too, if they need to replace Shane, make it someone who can benefit from the rub.  I dont think jericho has ever missed his scheduled Fozzy dates so its unlikely but you never know.

Joe, Cass and Jeff Hardy are all ready to return.  Lashley is coming in.  Could be any of them. 

It could be 2 on 1.  It could be Shane making it but not doing much.  Hell, it could be Goldberg. lol

42 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I suspect with the stipulation of if SB win KS remain fired and if KS win they are back... Heel turn incoming. Shane gonna turn? 

I think more likely KO & Zayn lose and end up “signed” to raw. But a Shane turn and Bryan losing...that would be something. Get the riot gear. Lol 

it would explain why they “need” to push ahead with Shane in that spot. 

2 hours ago, Goalie said:

Its 2 bad only 500 ppl watch New Japan on TV or ROH or good viewership for Impact is considered 300 000 people. 

WWE needs competition. They dont got any tho. 

The talk of FOX being interested in wrestling, getting WWE is the obvious one but if they want wrestling that isnt WWE, they should buy or buy into New Japan.  Its the only promotion in the world that is remotely competitive to WWE (and they arent really competitive at all), they are the cool promotion right now and they have the most talented/popular (comparison-wise) wrestlers in the world.  Its always been a thing that Japanese workers might be inclined to decline WWE offers but you've actually got North American workers declining WWE to stay with New Japan. 

Ofcourse, there's a big difference between being successful beside WWE and being successful going against them. 

It wasnt long ago that TNA had 1.5 million viewers and a national TV deal.  You give New Japan that today and they make waves for sure.

EDIT: As I recall, ROH gets around 500,000 viewers.  Its harder to figure as they are syndicated.  But its almost certainly true they draw more eyeballs than TNA does.  And their business is better too since TNA has a barter deal with POP and generates very little revenue and doesnt run house shows.  Whereas ROH is owned by their media conglomerate (the filthy rich and ultra conservative Sinclair Broadcasting) so they are "free" content and run profitable house shows (setting their attendance record recently with Omega on top and I believe they are set to do so again for Cody vs Kenny).

Sinclair is worth more than WWE so if they wanted to compete they could.  But giant billion dollar conglomerates dont get that way by wasting money and Sinclair would have to invest tens of millions to even come close to competing with WWE's reach or wrestling-generated revenue.  Ted Turner famously wanted to get back into wrestling after his non-compete from WWE's purchase of WCW expired.  He commissioned a study and the end result was $30-$50 million in losses just to become a major player.  He never bothered.

New Japan's success in the US is really great but very early and a small sample size. 

To compete, you need very deep pockets because you're going to lose a ton of money to even get to the point of competing and you need a national TV deal that pays the cost of producing that TV and you need really great creative that draws fans and you need talent that draws fans.

WWE was going bankrupt in 96/97 until the great creative (Canada vs USA, Austin/Michaels vs Hart) turned it around and then Austin exploded to really put them over the top and generate record revenue. 

ROH and New Japan both have solid booking (simple but organic).  And if they had a national TV deal, with Omega on top, they'd have the hook.  If I was New Japan I'd look at trying to get a national TV deal in the US.  But its hard because they are based in Japan and for a lot of fans that would be a tough translation. 

Edited by The Unknown Poster

Heck of a bookend for raw tonight. Steph was masterful in the opener and Ronda looked a lot more comfortable. 

And Paul Heyman is untouchable on the mic and actually had the crowd chanting for Roman. They ended up booing him anyway lol

Brock was tremendous too. Great facials. And he bounced around like a mad man to put over Roman’s punches. 

Really good stuff.