Wrestling

Rich

WM pre-show matches are the two battle royales and the Cruiserweight final (too bad that match isnt getting the big show).

We'll know after tonight if anything changes in the line up and then we can make our predictions.  For those watching life, the pre-show kicks of at 4PM and the main show at 6PM scheduled to run til 11.  Yes, a 7 hour WrestleMania!  (They dont adhere to an end-time like they used to so it could end early or late).

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

WM pre-show matches are the two battle royales and the Cruiserweight final (too bad that match isnt getting the big show).

We'll know after tonight if anything changes in the line up and then we can make our predictions.  For those watching life, the pre-show kicks of at 4PM and the main show at 6PM scheduled to run til 11.  Yes, a 7 hour WrestleMania!  (They dont adhere to an end-time like they used to so it could end early or late).

If I recall correctly, the Superdome has a no re-entry policy so with a 7 hour event, I'm picturing a loooooot of empty seats for the pre-show.

10 minutes ago, ediger said:

If I recall correctly, the Superdome has a no re-entry policy so with a 7 hour event, I'm picturing a loooooot of empty seats for the pre-show.

I think they started doing the long pre-show as a means to fill the stadium in a more orderly manner.  It gives early-arriving fans something to watch.  It can be rough though, performing in front of a cavernous near-empty stadium.  Guys have complained in the past about it.

Plus, WWE monetizes the pre-show.  USA is airing one hour of it and they put the other hour on the Network.

Definitely makes for a long day just watching the damn show.  That's two full meals and a ton of booze!

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And it kinda sucks 

North American Championship?  What's this for? Just another midcard title... or something like the UK championship?  Or does this replace the US Title?

Anyways I think it looks okay.  I hate how "standardized" all the belts have become... they  all look the damn same!

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Guys have complained in the past about it.

Maybe but the guys on the pre-show probably wouldn't have a place on the main show so they can complain about performing in front of less people or they can complain about sitting in the back doing nothing.

Edited by Atomic

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

North American Championship?  What's this for? Just another midcard title... or something like the UK championship?  Or does this replace the US Title?

Anyways I think it looks okay.  I hate how "standardized" all the belts have become... they  all look the damn same!

Maybe but the guys on the pre-show probably wouldn't have a place on the main show so they can complain about performing in front of less people or they can complain about sitting in the back doing nothing.

The North American Championship is the secondary title for NXT.

I think the argument by the talent is, if the main WM show is 5 hours long, they can fit all the matches in and its a reasonable point.  The main show contains a lot of video packages, concerts and other stuff that limits the actual wrestling and pushes some matches to the pre-show.  Taking the 7 hour show and making it happen in a 5 hour window likely produces a more enjoyable event for fans.

Or those pre show guys wouldnt get a match, you're right.  As it is, be on early and be geared down, showered and in catering before the main show begins and enjoy the evening. 

Let's see... 

Ali vs Cedric. Ali wins the CW title. 

Brock vs Roman. Reigns gets his moment....again. 

Styles vs Nak. Styles retains

Rollins vs Balor vs Miz. Balor. 

Asuka vs Charlotte. New champ Asuka

Nia vs Alexa. Alexa. 

Rest is whatever to me. 

RR and Angle win also. Maybe Rousey taps out Steph or maybe even Hunter. 

Braun partners with Big Show and wins Tag Titles. 

Edited by Goalie

1 hour ago, Goalie said:

Let's see... 

Ali vs Cedric. Ali wins the CW title. 

Brock vs Roman. Reigns gets his moment....again. 

Styles vs Nak. Styles retains

Rollins vs Balor vs Miz. Balor. 

Asuka vs Charlotte. New champ Asuka

Nia vs Alexa. Alexa. 

Rest is whatever to me. 

RR and Angle win also. Maybe Rousey taps out Steph or maybe even Hunter. 

Braun partners with Big Show and wins Tag Titles. 

I agree with pretty much all of this except I think Nia might beat Alexa and Rollins wins the IC title.

Bludgeon Brothers win the Smackdown tag titles.  Elias wins the men's battle royal if he is in it.  Lana wins the women's battle royal with shenanigans.

Carmella cashes in after Asuka wins the title but Asuka beats her anyways.

Rusev wins the US title.

Edited by Atomic

20 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I agree with pretty much all of this except I think Nia might beat Alexa and Rollins wins the IC title.

Bludgeon Brothers win the Smackdown tag titles.  Elias wins the men's battle royal if he is in it.  Lana wins the women's battle royal with shenanigans.

Carmella cashes in after Asuka wins the title but Asuka beats her anyways.

Rusev wins the US title.

I was going to suggest the same thing about Carmella.  Makes sense for her to cash in but she cant beat Asuka.  It IS something WWE would do because Carmella isnt very good (I like her though) and beating Asuka and ending the streak would cause the smarks to riot.  But the money is in Ronda vs Asuka.   And if Asuka is going to remain unbeaten, Carmella has to cash in and lose.  Might as well do at WM (or possibly on SD).

I also think if they do an upset, Charlotte beating Asuka is the most likely place to do it, though I have this nagging feeling Vince might get cold feet on Roman again, especially with all the "confirmations" of Brock leaving which essentially spoils the outcome.  I wouldnt bet against Roman winning, but again, if they go against the grain on any decision, that might be considered.

51 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I was going to suggest the same thing about Carmella.  Makes sense for her to cash in but she cant beat Asuka.  It IS something WWE would do because Carmella isnt very good (I like her though) and beating Asuka and ending the streak would cause the smarks to riot.  But the money is in Ronda vs Asuka.   And if Asuka is going to remain unbeaten, Carmella has to cash in and lose.  Might as well do at WM (or possibly on SD).

I also think if they do an upset, Charlotte beating Asuka is the most likely place to do it, though I have this nagging feeling Vince might get cold feet on Roman again, especially with all the "confirmations" of Brock leaving which essentially spoils the outcome.  I wouldnt bet against Roman winning, but again, if they go against the grain on any decision, that might be considered.

Can't have Asuka lose yet... just can't.  The mystique is there for people who followed her in NXT but she needs a longer undefeated run in WWE still.

Brock beating Roman would be such a huge swerve... people wouldn't know how to react.  Everyone has "known" Roman is beating Brock for a year now.  I'd love to see it.

My predictions!

Brock Lesnar(c) vs Roman Reigns - WWE Universal Championship

Should be the easiest call on the show.  This is Roman's four year coronation as top dog.  Brock's contract expires after this (Monday is his last contractual obligation I believe) so one way or the other he has to lose.  When they first worked at WM a couple years, Vince didnt make the call to change the finish from Roman over to Seth cashing in until a few days before the show (infuriating Roman's dad) and Seth didnt even know until the show had begun.

Could Vince change his mind again?  Absolutely.  But I doubt it.  Its an awful way to close the show, if it closes (talk of the mixed tag closing).  But they seem really determined to get the outcome they want.  Brock and Heyman have done everything possible to get boo'ed so that Roman would be cheered.  Mixed results on that one.  I'd expect Roman to be boo'ed out of the building on Sunday unless Heyman has something up his sleeve at the show.

The only swerve I could see is because everyone knows Roman is winning and with non-WWE people (like Dana White) saying Brock is leaving WWE, it might make Vince want to do a swerve.  When Braun was being held back as Plan B (when there was concern over Roman and a potential steroid scandal), I thought either Brock would win and issue an open challenge with Braun winning for the happy ending or Roman wins, cuts a heel promo and same thing, Braun wins (ala Hogan/Yoko from WM 9).  The other option is Brock wins and they announce a Brock farewell celebration for RAW and get the belt off him there.  But I dont think.

If its me, I'd have Roman win and turn heel.  Regardless:

Winner: Roman

Aj Styles(c) vs Nak - WWE World Heavyweight Championship

Gotta be Nak.  Does nothing for either guy for AJ to retain.  Elevates Nak to the top.  And likely AJ moves to Raw to maybe work with Roman.  Could be the match of the night (or year in WWE).

Winner: Nak

Kurt Angle & Ronda Rousey vs Hunter & Steph

Should be easy - Angle/Ronda over with the finish being Steph tapping (the idea that all the mainstream sports coverage will show the clip/photo and it elevates Stephanie.  Some people think this will be a swerve and Hunter & Steph will win.  For a big feud, you usually want the heels to win first.  But this is WrestleMania and Ronda is special.

If its me, I have Angle tapping Hunter and Ronda tapping Steph at the same time.  Another great idea I've heard is Ronda tapping Hunter (the benefit to that is Ronda is put over huge and Hunter can claim the rules dont allow intergender wrestling so the result doesnt count, and either way, Steph didnt lose, setting up a singles match.

Winners: Angle & Ronda

Danial Bryan & Shane McMahon vs Kevin owens & Sammy Zayn

Should be another easy one.  Bryan will be so over, it will be ridiculous (and risk the crowd turning on everything else).  There is a thought they might put this on last for that reason, for the visual of 70,000 people doing the yes chant.  The swerve folks see WWE wanting the super heat of Bryan losing (maybe with a Shane turn).  Just play it straight.

Winners: Bryan & Shane

John Cena vs Undertaker

This is the goofiest build to a match ever.  And Cenas insults have been stiff as heck.  Not just his either, but guys like Elias.  Word is this angle is all Vince and he believes announcing the match doesnt increase buys one bit because everyone knows Taker will be there and the intrigue is in the angle "will he show".  I figured they didnt want to do a match (either because Taker cant or wont if he felt last year was his retirement) and this would be a glorified segment with Taker getting his revenge.

Another thought is, the "dead man" wont be there, but Biker Undertaker will, coinciding with Kid Rock going into the Hall of Fame and performing live.  He could perform American Bad Ass life as Taker enters in his old gimmick and kick the hell out of Cena.

Assuming its a match, you have to have Undertaker win now.  Either, Taker beats the piss out of him.

Winner: Undertaker

Braun & ??? vs Cesaro & Sheamus - RAW Tag Team Champiosnhip

I liked it better as Braun by himself and winning the tag titles.  Maybe because I did the exact angle last November in my own promotion with a guy winning the tag titles by himself (one man tag champs).  The hot rumour for awhile was Braun's partner would be Rey Misterio but Rey denies it.  The safe bet is Big Show who just signed a new contract (after saying he would retire) and he's in great shape.  The only thing I hesitate on is, Show makes Braun look smaller and Vince might not like that. 

The other option would be Lashley but I think they have something else in mind (he was meant for Brock).  Other guys ready to return are Joe, Cass (who would be good), Jeff Hardy and Drew Mcintye (which would also be another option.

My safe bet is Show.  My long shot (and better idea I think) is Drew.  And of course, maybe the champs retain.

Winners: Braun & ???

Charlotte vs Asuka - SD Women's Championship

If I HAVE to have a swerve its here.  If they feel the big money is in Charlotte vs Ronda for the title down the road (as originally rumoured for WM) but realistically, its nuts to not have Asuka go over and build to next year's WM of undefeated Asuka vs undefeated Ronda.

The other storyline is Carmella and the Money in the Bank.  She could cash in for a near fall and ultimately lose.  It would be crazy and big heat in the moment for Asuka to win and Carmella to cash in and beat her.  But long term its terrible.

Winner: Asuka

Nia Jax vs Alexa Bliss - RAW Women's Championship

Im going to go off the board and say Bliss retains the title.  Its a bad angle with the fat jokes which should mean the face winning and she's Rock's cousin hence her push.  But I have a feeling WWE wants to save the win for later

Winner: Bliss

Miz vs Seth vs Balor - WWE IC Championship

Against my better judgement, Im going off the board again.  Miz is too good to lose.  By hook or by crook he retains.  Should be an awesome match!

Winner: Miz

Roode vs Jinder vs Rusev vs Orton - WWE US Championship

Rusev was a late addition which usually means something.  And he's hot right now.  Happy Rusev Day.

Winner: Rusev

Usos vs New Day vs Bludgeon Bros - SD Tag Team Championship

Uso are too good.

Winners: Usos

Women's Battle Royale

Too hard to call these.  Ill say Bayley with a heel turn

Winner: Bayley

Mens Battle Royale

Same thing, too hard.  For fun:

Winner: Big Cass

Alexander vs Ali = Cruiserweight Championship

I dont follow 205 that closely.

Winner: Alexander

Remember folks, its 7 hours this year!

Good grief.  Harry Smith and Jake Roberts had an altercation at wrestlecon. 

Harry was hot about some remarks jake made on a recent podcast about his father.  He confronted him at the convention and jake didn’t want to apologize or discuss it. 

Harry asked him to step outside and fight. Jake is 62 years old.  He declined obviously. 

Apprently his daughter then went after harry. Harry threw hot coffee in jakes face.   

Cody beat Kenny at Roh when bucks tried to superkick Cody but he ducked and they hit Kenny by mistake. 

Im loving this whole angle. Some people look at “Japanese” or Indy wrestling as being all spots with no story. This stuff Kenny and Cody and the Bucks are doing is next level story telling in wrestling.  Tremendous. 

Watching NxT next but I hear the ladder match was ridiculously amazing and Gargano vs Ciampa was off the charts. 

So, a couple of days ago I was going thru my twitter feed & it showed two pics of Shawn Michaels. One with long hair & the mullet he had at the back along with his receeding hair line. Another with a picture of him after getting the back cut off. One person tweeted: "The boyhood dream is over". I tweeted that Brett Hart should do the same thing. I follow Asuka on twitter & she agreed. Yesterday I got a private message from Asuka asking how I was & we had about a 20 minute chat. Yes, it was her actual twitter account. Told her I think she's great in the ring & was looking forward to her match with Charlotte which she thanked me.  Anyway, thought that was both interesting & cool how she reached out so I'll be cheering for her tonight.