Random News Items

Rich

The gf has a friend who is a nurse in an ER in Winnipeg and I had her ask about this.  She said firstly that the Utah nurse was way more pleasant than she would have been to the police.  She also said she was not sure what the laws/rules were here and that in the majority of cases where police want blood here, its for DUI's and the patients are conscious and give consent.

She said she HAS denied police requests for access to hospital-run toxicology, telling them they cant have patient info without a warrant.  And the police always comply.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

1 hour ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Well apparently he's in North Dakota today!  Ewww.... way too close for comfort.

It's pretty shocking tbh.  Plop a street view on any street in the worst hit area, looks like a warzone.

Lower 9th Ward

not pretty. and still below sea level. those places that are left will be gone next storm.

I thought this Free Press story was interesting.  Its behind the paywall so i wont post the whole thing:

A few years ago, Ray Eskritt noticed palm-sized bruises blooming all over her abdomen.

Scared, she went to a walk-in clinic. "The doctor looked at me and said, ‘Well, are you walking into counters?’" she recalls. "That was his response. I must be so big that I’m walking into things and not noticing it. He didn’t touch me, he didn’t take vitals. He didn’t ask me to come back. He didn’t ask me anything

That incident stands out to Eskritt, 31, as a time when she felt a doctor was seeing her weight, not her. For many years, she avoided going to doctors altogether (she never did find out what caused her bruising). "I knew they were going to tell me I was fat and that I just needed to stop being fat," she says. She got used to health-care providers not taking her problems seriously.

Eskritt’s experience is all too familiar to Lisa Naylor, Amy McGimpsey-Tuckett and Lori Peters, three Winnipeg women who work in women’s health.

They had a vision: what if there was a website where people could find health-care providers and professionals who focused on people, not their weight?

And so, they created Good Fat Care. The resource website soft-launched earlier this month, and the trio is in the process of building a seachable, Canada-wide database that will include physicians, nurse practicioners, dietitians, midwives, counsellors, physiotherapists, massage therapists and yoga and fitness instructors who have taken the Good Fat Care pledge.

The Good Fat Care pledge is a list of principles and pledges such as "I will not classify bodies as ‘good/acceptable’ or ‘bad/unacceptable’ based on BMI or weight," "I will not promote weight-based rules around how or what to eat,’ and "I understand that weight stigma, fat oppression and discrimination may negatively impact one’s mental and physical heath," among others. The goal is to link body-inclusive providers with the people who need them, removing the guess-work.

Such a resource has been a long time coming. "I’ve been fantasizing about this website for, I don’t know, 10 years," Naylor says.

And it’s insidious. The term "healthy lifestyle" is used as a euphemism for weight-loss. Fad diets are disguised as "wellness." Fitness instructors talk about calories burned and building summer bodies.

The use of stigmatizing language can also be a barrier when it comes to seeking care. In her practice, Naylor doesn’t use the term "overweight," for example. "Overweight implies that there’s a weight standard that one should be at," she says. Instead, she acknowledges that everyone has a weight. "Just as they have a height. We don’t tell people who are 6-3 that they are ‘over-height.’"

Naylor recognizes that Good Fat Care’s use of word ‘fat’ might be stigmatizing to people because of the way the word has been used. "We’ve tried to use it in a feminist reclaiming way," she says, "but also ‘thin’ gets used in the culture every day, and fat is the opposite of thin. The value judgements don’t need where they are. We thought fat was a word we could reclaim and make clear what we’re doing here."

"That’s what we do for thin people," Naylor points out. "You can be thin and never step foot in a gym and forget to go to the doctor for three years, or smoke and drink a little too much, and you’re not judged for not taking good care of yourself — and if you do get sick, you aren’t blamed."

For her part, Eskritt has since found an excellent doctor. But she says she’d absolutely use Good Fat Care.

"If there was just a website I could go to and be like, ‘Where’s a doctor who will treat me well and doesn’t care that I’m fat, or understands the complications that fat brings to wellness in a non-discriminatory way, I’d go there all the time," she says. "Anytime I needed something, I’d go there."

Not a fan of the fat care article.

One cannot control height... they can control weight.   

It's scientifically proven that being overweight causes both mental and physical issues in a person.    We can't have doctors ignoring the major reason why they most likely are ill.   

Maybe the group can work on how to deliver or speak with over weight individuals on what they can do to make themselves better in a kinder less threatening way... but to completely avoid talking about the elephant in the room....  ridiculous.  

12 hours ago, Brandon said:

Not a fan of the fat care article.

One cannot control height... they can control weight.   

It's scientifically proven that being overweight causes both mental and physical issues in a person.    We can't have doctors ignoring the major reason why they most likely are ill.   

Maybe the group can work on how to deliver or speak with over weight individuals on what they can do to make themselves better in a kinder less threatening way... but to completely avoid talking about the elephant in the room....  ridiculous.  

yea as dickish as it sounds... its got to be said to people who are overweight.  its not healthy, its horrible for not only your health but your joints, bones, organs, etc..

I can't imagine it feels good to be told you are overweight.. but would you rather live in denial and die young?  people are so paranoid about offending or being offended by people nowadays that its getting in the way of things like warning someone of the dangers of what they are doing. 

People should be allowed to live their lives the way they see fit.. but its also a doctor's job to make sure his patients are going to live as long as they can.  I don't think people should be fat shamning others in lineups for fast food or anything like that BUT you gotta draw the line at a Dr saying "you look heavy.." or "you should probably try to get more physical activity..." as being insulting or "shaming" dont we?

Yup, I was curious to see opinions about the Fat Care article.  I was incredulous.  They want doctors etc to pledge not to make anything of weight.  wow.  Sorry you're fat.  Its a health issue.  I've struggled with weight over the years so I get it.  But my goodness, women who are 30 and overweight avoid the doctor because they dont want to be told to lose weight?  Crazy.

14 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup, I was curious to see opinions about the Fat Care article.  I was incredulous.  They want doctors etc to pledge not to make anything of weight.  wow.  Sorry you're fat.  Its a health issue.  I've struggled with weight over the years so I get it.  But my goodness, women who are 30 and overweight avoid the doctor because they dont want to be told to lose weight?  Crazy.

and thats just it.  we as a society are so paranoid of being offended or can't handle being told stuff that "hurts our feelings" that important information is not being conveyed like it should be.. and has always been in the past.   I don't understand how we've come to this.  the simple fact of life is that the truth hurts.  sometimes you cannot avoid getting insulted or offended because thats just the nature of the beast.  if you are heavy-set and I do understand its sometimes not peoples faults, you still need to be made aware of the gravity of the situations..   I hope this concept dies.

Just now, SPuDS said:

and thats just it.  we as a society are so paranoid of being offended or can't handle being told stuff that "hurts our feelings" that important information is not being conveyed like it should be.. and has always been in the past.   I don't understand how we've come to this.  the simple fact of life is that the truth hurts.  sometimes you cannot avoid getting insulted or offended because thats just the nature of the beast.  if you are heavy-set and I do understand its sometimes not peoples faults, you still need to be made aware of the gravity of the situations..   I hope this concept dies.

If you're fat and you cant handle the doctor saying you're fat, then that's not the doctor's problem.  I would be VERY concerned with any health care professional that would agree to this pledge, to be honest.  They should insist that they will provide their medical advice as they see fit. 

Just now, The Unknown Poster said:

If you're fat and you cant handle the doctor saying you're fat, then that's not the doctor's problem.  I would be VERY concerned with any health care professional that would agree to this pledge, to be honest.  They should insist that they will provide their medical advice as they see fit. 

couldn't agree with this more.   Frankly, I think even from a young age doctors should be informing parents if they are concerned about a childs weight.   Again, it comes at the risk of upsetting or offending someone but maybe if doctors were more persistent on telling people "hey, you need to watch this.."  instead of "well I can't say that because it will make them sad.." America and Canada wouldn't be so morbidly  obese.   School's should never have removed mandatory physical education at young ages either imo.

Just now, SPuDS said:

couldn't agree with this more.   Frankly, I think even from a young age doctors should be informing parents if they are concerned about a childs weight.   Again, it comes at the risk of upsetting or offending someone but maybe if doctors were more persistent on telling people "hey, you need to watch this.."  instead of "well I can't say that because it will make them sad.." America and Canada wouldn't be so morbidly  obese.   School's should never have removed mandatory physical education at young ages either imo.

A few years ago I had an argument online about this.  It was some TV show where they actually "fat shamed" a character and a bunch of viewers were upset and claiming we should embrace how we look no matter what.  My unpopular opinion was, we should certainly not emotionally scar children but this idea that you should be happy being unfit is ridiculous. 

You're 100% correct, it starts in school.  Phys ed should be required from Grade 1 through graduation.  If for no other reason than to keep kids active.  As they get older, you can add more advanced education like nutrition, to the phys ed class.  I actually took First Aid and CPR in gym class in Grade 11 (the last year it was required).   I took Anatomy and Physiology as a separate science class but you could easily roll that into phys ed.  But the important thing should be activity, team building, leadership.  All important.

10 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

A few years ago I had an argument online about this.  It was some TV show where they actually "fat shamed" a character and a bunch of viewers were upset and claiming we should embrace how we look no matter what.  My unpopular opinion was, we should certainly not emotionally scar children but this idea that you should be happy being unfit is ridiculous. 

You're 100% correct, it starts in school.  Phys ed should be required from Grade 1 through graduation.  If for no other reason than to keep kids active.  As they get older, you can add more advanced education like nutrition, to the phys ed class.  I actually took First Aid and CPR in gym class in Grade 11 (the last year it was required).   I took Anatomy and Physiology as a separate science class but you could easily roll that into phys ed.  But the important thing should be activity, team building, leadership.  All important.

yup.  I agree its a fine line but the risks to the childs emotional well being needs to be weighted against the health overall of said child.  I'm sure there is a way to convey this message without being  overtly cruel.  

and I completely agree with the second bolded.. we have gone away from showing our youth proper team building skills, leadership skills and basic taking care of yourself and I think it shows.  

32 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

When was last time we had a say in something?

What a choice - higher taxes or less service.

The NDP made a mess of Manitoba, no doubt.  But the PC's have to be smarter and more creative than this.  You cant cut front line services and you sure as heck cant raise taxes in this province.