Random News Items

Rich

7 hours ago, JCon said:

Deal worked out between Paris and LA to host the 2024 and 2028 Olympics. There were no other bidders left.

The Olympics are trying to scale down for the future to avoid the crazy expenses incurred in Sochi.

I thought in the future they were going to do more of an area rather then a single country.   So several countries would bid together and host various events?

Just now, Brandon said:

I thought in the future they were going to do more of an area rather then a single country.   So several countries would bid together and host various events?

I think they're looking at multiple options for the future.

Right now, they needed to determine who would host after Tokyo.

Lots of places dropped out including, Germany and Boston (hence LA).

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

I saw the bottom one and assumed it meant, it was bad for you.. turns out, drinking is good for your brains?  cool.

19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

In the future all MBB users will have access to the Do-Or-Die Knowledgebase.

that would be like when batman gets the throne of knowledge or whatever it is.. we would be unstoppable!

Disney announces it will be creating an ESPN streaming service as well as a Disney streaming service and pulling all of its content from Netflix.  I assume the Marvel shows that are partnered with Netflix will remain.

I was discussing this with some morons on a Star Trek forum who, before Disney's announcement, were touting CBS' leverage of Discovery to juice it's own OTT service as a bad business decision.

Disney's catalog leveraging their own OTT service would be pretty formidable.  Since we know original content is king, how long until they announce a brand new live action Star Wars TV show?

Don't like this news at all.

All of these streaming services cannot co-exist.  Even Netflix and its competitors who stream content from multiple content owners and trying to create their own original content to differentiate, can't survive. 

$10 here $7 there $8 for that other thing all add up.    

The more fractured and segregated content delivery becomes, the more people will resort to pirating content. 

I think most people will pay a reasonable amount for the convenience and ease of use.  As soon as you see the monthly bill starting to add up, things like Kodi become a lot more attractive. 

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

All of these streaming services cannot co-exist.  Even Netflix and its competitors who stream content from multiple content owners and trying to create their own original content to differentiate, can't survive. 

The more fractured and segregated content delivery becomes, the more people will resort to pirating content. 

I think most people will pay a reasonable amount for the convenience and ease of use.  As soon as you see the monthly bill starting to add up, things like Kodi become a lot more attractive. 

The ease of Kodi also helps... one place where you can access all your shows.

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

I believe people said the same thing when we went from 6 channels to 50.

They will all have their own OTT platforms eventually, to catch the cable cutters.  Its not just about saving money.  its about being rooted to your TV at a specific time.  People want to watch on their terms, when they want, how they want and where they want.  Its the future.

Im all for it.  There will be some pain especially for people that maintain cable AND have to subscribe to OTT to get their favorite shows.  But it will work itself out.

Everyone is playing catch up to Netflix.  I dont think stand alones will survive or at least, they will have trouble.  But the studios and networks with vast catalogs and the financial backing to create quality original programming will.  Netflix is in a ton of debt because they know the value of original programming.    The archives are just gravy.

Disney is somewhat unique in their properties are really tremendous and they will be hugely successful in doing this.

CBS leveraging Star Trek is just the tip of the iceberg.  If Disney does the same with original Star Wars content?  Look out.  Plus Marvel?  Plus, Disney will continue to buy up IP (they've been speculated as an interested part in WWE).

As consumers, it *should* give us BETTER programming.  In Canada its a bit different.  Both WWE and CBS struck deals with terrestrial networks to carry their OTT programming here.  It will be interesting to see if/when that changes eventually.

19 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I believe people said the same thing when we went from 6 channels to 50.

They will all have their own OTT platforms eventually, to catch the cable cutters.  Its not just about saving money.  its about being rooted to your TV at a specific time.  People want to watch on their terms, when they want, how they want and where they want.  Its the future.

Im all for it.  There will be some pain especially for people that maintain cable AND have to subscribe to OTT to get their favorite shows.  But it will work itself out.

Everyone is playing catch up to Netflix.  I dont think stand alones will survive or at least, they will have trouble.  But the studios and networks with vast catalogs and the financial backing to create quality original programming will.  Netflix is in a ton of debt because they know the value of original programming.    The archives are just gravy.

Disney is somewhat unique in their properties are really tremendous and they will be hugely successful in doing this.

CBS leveraging Star Trek is just the tip of the iceberg.  If Disney does the same with original Star Wars content?  Look out.  Plus Marvel?  Plus, Disney will continue to buy up IP (they've been speculated as an interested part in WWE).

As consumers, it *should* give us BETTER programming.  In Canada its a bit different.  Both WWE and CBS struck deals with terrestrial networks to carry their OTT programming here.  It will be interesting to see if/when that changes eventually.

This is going to be the problem, for quite a while now, people have been paying the cable / satellite companies for both internet access and TV.   This has allowed them to basically split their costs between the two services.

Now as people move to paying individual content providers, they decide they can cut out the TV portion of their cable bill and move to all internet.  Screw the cable companies, they’ve been gouging customers forever!  

The infrastructure and ongoing costs of the cable companies aren’t going to go down because you don’t subscribe to their TV anymore.  If a large portion of their subscribers cut out half of their bill due to leaving TV behind, cable companies are going to be forced to increase the price of internet.  They can’t survive losing half their revenue.  And now you need to pay for individual services on top of that. 

There is a limit to how much people will spend on their home entertainment costs every month.  If your internet is now costing you the same or similar to what your internet and TV used to cost, how much more are you going to pay for each of these a la carte services?

Now throw in a new generation who don’t care all that much of the classic TV model and are growing up with their viewing habits where they get their entertainment from YouTube channels, and all of these individualized services aren’t going to all survive.

Sure Disney has a good shot at surviving, but some of these companies making the jump better be sure they really have a competitive advantage.   HBO probably does as well because people have already been paying an extra $10 - $15 a month for them forever.

Netflix was the first and that gives them a huge advantage.  I pay for Netflix.  If the cable model completely disappears, I’d probably pay to watch the Jets and Bombers.   I’m not going to pay for many more on top of that.  If someone wants to pull me away from Netflix, their original content better be very compelling, not going to pay you an additional $10 a month if you only have one or two shows I want to watch. 

Way different then the move from 6 to 50 channels.  Cable companies were able to bundle a bunch of channels for $5 - $6 bucks a month.  Most of those new TV Channels made money through commercials, not what you paid your cable company.  This model has you paying $10 a month for one service and the expectation has been set that there is no commercials, so whatever they take in from their subscribers needs to pay the bills.  Or it moves to a hybrid approach where commercials get introduced back into programming, not sure that would fly at this point.

1 hour ago, Rich said:

This is going to be the problem, for quite a while now, people have been paying the cable / satellite companies for both internet access and TV.   This has allowed them to basically split their costs between the two services.

Now as people move to paying individual content providers, they decide they can cut out the TV portion of their cable bill and move to all internet.  Screw the cable companies, they’ve been gouging customers forever!  

The infrastructure and ongoing costs of the cable companies aren’t going to go down because you don’t subscribe to their TV anymore.  If a large portion of their subscribers cut out half of their bill due to leaving TV behind, cable companies are going to be forced to increase the price of internet.  They can’t survive losing half their revenue.  And now you need to pay for individual services on top of that. 

There is a limit to how much people will spend on their home entertainment costs every month.  If your internet is now costing you the same or similar to what your internet and TV used to cost, how much more are you going to pay for each of these a la carte services?

Now throw in a new generation who don’t care all that much of the classic TV model and are growing up with their viewing habits where they get their entertainment from YouTube channels, and all of these individualized services aren’t going to all survive.

Sure Disney has a good shot at surviving, but some of these companies making the jump better be sure they really have a competitive advantage.   HBO probably does as well because people have already been paying an extra $10 - $15 a month for them forever.

Netflix was the first and that gives them a huge advantage.  I pay for Netflix.  If the cable model completely disappears, I’d probably pay to watch the Jets and Bombers.   I’m not going to pay for many more on top of that.  If someone wants to pull me away from Netflix, their original content better be very compelling, not going to pay you an additional $10 a month if you only have one or two shows I want to watch. 

Way different then the move from 6 to 50 channels.  Cable companies were able to bundle a bunch of channels for $5 - $6 bucks a month.  Most of those new TV Channels made money through commercials, not what you paid your cable company.  This model has you paying $10 a month for one service and the expectation has been set that there is no commercials, so whatever they take in from their subscribers needs to pay the bills.  Or it moves to a hybrid approach where commercials get introduced back into programming, not sure that would fly at this point.

Who's to say you wont be able to bundle in the future?  Its possible an Internet provider might offer a deal where you pay X amount and get X amount of OTT services included.  In that way, it would end up evolving into a similar set up as cable providers.  Though I think that is what the studios want to cut out.  They want to cut the middle man.  I dont think there is much appetite among consumers to throttle Internet speed any more than it already is.

Comcast or someone tried that in the US with Netflix and the backlash was very negative.  The OTT services will always look like the good guy when they provide high quality streams and the Internet Provider raises the price or throttles. 

Fibre is expensive but once in, the providers will have little issue in handling the needs of consumers.  The prices will work themselves out.  Perhaps Internet Providers will make deals with studios to push specific OTTs.  They all want to make money.

Supply and demand and the willingness of consumers to pay will dictate the price. Its really that simple.  if the cost of Internet rises to the extent customers wont pay, then those prices wont last long.

How many shows on Netflix do you watch?  Because the more studios pull their programming to support their own OTT platforms, the less content Netflix will have.  If you view a lot of archival material, so be it.  But original content is what drives subs.  Thats true of Netflix.  Its true of CBS All Access.  Its true of WWE. 

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

How many shows on Netflix do you watch?  Because the more studios pull their programming to support their own OTT platforms, the less content Netflix will have.  If you view a lot of archival material, so be it.  But original content is what drives subs.  Thats true of Netflix.  Its true of CBS All Access.  Its true of WWE. 

Don't disagree with this, it is kind of my point. It will be whoever can offer the most compelling content including archival and original content. 

There has been original content that has interested me on platforms competing with Netflix but not enough interest to pay and go watch it .    So I just don't watch it. 

Im not going to pay their subscription prices to get access to one or two series I may or may not want to see. 

As to archival footage, I mostly watch documentaries or "something" to have on as background noise.   Maybe watch a movie I haven't seen yet   Though if I haven't seen it by the time Netflix gets it, it probably means my interest level isn't super high on it and could take it or leave it.  

And this is what I'm talking about.  It has gone from a all Disney content to possibly different subs for Marvel, Disney and Star Wars even though they are all owned by Disney. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/09/marvel-and-star-wars-standalone-streaming-services-are-still-being-considered-says-disney/?ncid=mobilerecirc_featured

Marvel and Star Wars standalone streaming services are still being considered, says Disney

Posted 2 hours ago by Sarah Perez (@sarahintampa)

marvelcomics.jpg?w=1029

If you’re wondering why Marvel movies and Star Wars weren’t mentioned as being among the titles included in Disney’s upcoming streaming service, announced yesterday, that’s because they might be getting their own branded services instead. According to Disney CEO Bob Iger, the company is still considering how it wants to bring Marvel and LucasFilm titles to consumers. There’s been talk of launching proprietary Marvel and Star Wars services, he said on Disney’s earnings call on Tuesday.

Greedy corporations will push and push until the cunulative cost just doesn't make sense and people will go to illegal ways to watch. 

They learnt nothing from record labels. 

17 minutes ago, Rich said:

And this is what I'm talking about.  It has gone from a all Disney content to possibly different subs for Marvel, Disney and Star Wars even though they are all owned by Disney. 

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/09/marvel-and-star-wars-standalone-streaming-services-are-still-being-considered-says-disney/?ncid=mobilerecirc_featured

Greedy corporations will push and push until the cunulative cost just doesn't make sense and people will go to illegal ways to watch. 

They learnt nothing from record labels. 

The suggestion that people will turn to illegal downloads and hinder the industry hasnt been shown to be true.  The most pirated programs are also the most popular.  The highest rated GoT episode this season was the one that was stolen and put on the Internet.

I wish everything was free.  But this idea that corporations are greedy for making money is ludicrous.  If Disney creates a streaming Star Wars channel and people pay to watch it in large numbers, why is Disney the bad guy?  If you owned Disney stock you'd think they're the bad guy for NOT doing that.

Companies will go as far as consumers are willing to let them.  If we are willing to pay, they will be happy to charge.

18 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

The suggestion that people will turn to illegal downloads and hinder the industry hasnt been shown to be true.

It sure was true with the music recording industry.

The most pirated programs are also the most popular.  The highest rated GoT episode this season was the one that was stolen and put on the Internet

One off examples are fine in the current landscape.  I'm talking about a continuing trend where people end up paying more overall for content then they are today.  And that will hurt the industry overall.

wish everything was free.  But this idea that corporations are greedy for making money is ludicrous.  If Disney creates a streaming Star Wars channel and people pay to watch it in large numbers, why is Disney the bad guy?  If you owned Disney stock you'd think they're the bad guy for NOT doing that

I have no problem with corporations making money.  I call them greedy when I believe they start to push the boundaries of what they do  will ultimately be detrimental to their long term profits and business model.   That isn't smart, that is self destructive.  So yes, if I owned Disney stock, I wouldn't be thrilled with this move.  They just spent $1.5 Billion to acquire the technology to do this.   Time well tell if this will recoup that investment.   It is pretty obvious from that article they are putting feelers out there to see just how far they can milk this with people.  Push too far and people will go to cheaper competing products, especially when a younger generation is already tuning you out and watching "non commercially developed" personalities on YouTube over traditional media.

Companies will go as far as consumers are willing to let them.  If we are willing to pay, they will be happy to charge.

Agree.  I think they are going down a path that will take them to a place where consumers ultimately say I have had enough.

Embracing streaming is very smart.  To ignore it would be detrimental.  In fact, they let Netflix get way too much market share and now are playing catch up.  Its about time.

Ultimately it will be better for consumers too.  I dont think piracy is a major concern nor will it negatively impact the studios.  Music was different as they never embraced the internet.