Random News Items

Rich

4 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

yeah, shocker. The premiums are not a lot  of money to their fan base. To others, maybe quite a bit.

First step to privatised health care, maybe.

private clinics for those that can afford it, crumbs for everyone else.

and someone thinks it's funny.

Edited by Mark F

37 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I don't think that's the case. I don't think PCs want private health care. Our health care is a Canadian institution. 

But the ndp left the province in bad shape. This isn't where the PCs should be looking to make it up. 

Isnt health care national? 

paid for by Federal Government, administered by Provincial Governments. Fed govment send Provinces money, Provinces decide how to spend it. Different provinces spend it different ways, and add in some of their own money.

no government in Canada will say they want private health care. 

But, they may go for "public/private partnerships" which don't work, allow more private services, which doesn't work, things like that.

No politician will say they want private health care. But if they want to, they go about in a more subtle way. If they want to dismantle it, they can degrade it gradually by reducing service, and coverage. like in Britain.

Let's hope that' not the agenda here.

Edited by Mark F

Well we already have private health care.   A model of public pay and private delivery is not a non-starter for me.   We have private clinics. Operating for profit. 

But the idea of either new taxes or less service is a non starter.  I think efficiencies can be found. For sure. But I'm very disappointed seeing this from the PCs. 

13 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Feeling they will charge fees for using Walk-ins.

This is the opposite of what they should do.  They should be getting people out of the ER's and into Walk In Clinics.  Ever visit an ER?  Filled with people that *appear* to not need to be there.

57 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is the opposite of what they should do.  They should be getting people out of the ER's and into Walk In Clinics.  Ever visit an ER?  Filled with people that *appear* to not need to be there.

2 of my close friends work in admitting at HSC and I know a nurse who works there as well.. the amount of people who come thru the ER doors that really should be at a clinic or walk-in, is astounding.   Bounded by law, they cannot say go elsewhere tho, so these people wait.. 12-14 hours to get an ointment for a scratch or for a doctor to tell them why the shoes they just bought are making their feet hurt. 

and people wonder why hospital staff burn out.   besides dealing with life or death decisions, they also get to deal with stuff like this..

17 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

creepy james woods is creepy. I get he came from a different era and is essentially a dinosaur at this point but sounds like he was far too used to his name and cash getting him what he wanted with the ladies.   Now, girls standing up for themselves seems to cause him a kerfuffle lol.

Just now, SPuDS said:

2 of my close friends work in admitting at HSC and I know a nurse who works there as well.. the amount of people who come thru the ER doors that really should be at a clinic or walk-in, is astounding.   Bounded by law, they cannot say go elsewhere tho, so these people wait.. 12-14 hours to get an ointment for a scratch or for a doctor to tell them why the shoes they just bought are making their feet hurt. 

and people wonder why hospital staff burn out.   besides dealing with life or death decisions, they also get to deal with stuff like this..

Yup.  I've been in many ER's and know people that work there.  If they could get people out of the ER and into walk ins, it would change health care in this province big time.  The idea of community clinics seemed like a good one to me.

I've noticed a pretty significant increase in the efficiency of clinics as well.  Doctors and staff there want to get people in and out.  There is no benefit to patients waiting in clinics for 12 hours.  I remember back in the day, you'd have to arrive at 8 am and wait all day.  They did not want you leaving and would not give an approximate time.  Now, they often do. They will give you an appt to return.  I cant remember the last time I went to a walk in where I waited significantly longer than my designated time.

Plus, many now have their own labs and some are adding X rays too.  Full service.  These operate at a profit for the doctors and staff.  Its essentially one-payer health care delivered privately. 

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

creepy james woods is creepy. I get he came from a different era and is essentially a dinosaur at this point but sounds like he was far too used to his name and cash getting him what he wanted with the ladies.   Now, girls standing up for themselves seems to cause him a kerfuffle lol.

Woods is a great actor but a terrible person.  He is a HUGE Trump apologist.  One of those guys that thinks if he yells the loudest, he wins.  He often tweets or re-tweets negative things about Dems or the left in response to negative things about Trump, as if two wrongs make a right.

His attacks on Hammer and the film was solely because it was about a gay couple.   So good on Hammer and especially Tamblyn for standing against him.  Tamblyn in particular, it was courageous as a young female in Hollywood to stand up to someone like James Woods.

12 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Woods is a great actor but a terrible person.  He is a HUGE Trump apologist.  One of those guys that thinks if he yells the loudest, he wins.  He often tweets or re-tweets negative things about Dems or the left in response to negative things about Trump, as if two wrongs make a right.

His attacks on Hammer and the film was solely because it was about a gay couple.   So good on Hammer and especially Tamblyn for standing against him.  Tamblyn in particular, it was courageous as a young female in Hollywood to stand up to someone like James Woods.

Ya I could see that for sure.   I agree, his acting skills are great but he really comes across as a spoiled hollywood ****** so his love for trump and all things right wing doesn't surprise me. I also agree that its excellent that both Hammer and Tamblyn stood up for themselves and not let the bigot get the last word.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Yup.  I've been in many ER's and know people that work there.  If they could get people out of the ER and into walk ins, it would change health care in this province big time.  The idea of community clinics seemed like a good one to me.

I've noticed a pretty significant increase in the efficiency of clinics as well.  Doctors and staff there want to get people in and out.  There is no benefit to patients waiting in clinics for 12 hours.  I remember back in the day, you'd have to arrive at 8 am and wait all day.  They did not want you leaving and would not give an approximate time.  Now, they often do. They will give you an appt to return.  I cant remember the last time I went to a walk in where I waited significantly longer than my designated time.

Plus, many now have their own labs and some are adding X rays too.  Full service.  These operate at a profit for the doctors and staff.  Its essentially one-payer health care delivered privately. 

In the last 5 years in my area at least a half a dozen walk in clinics have opened up and the ones that I have visited seem to be really fast, really clean and the service has been very good for myself.   

I haven't attended an ER much in my life,  but the last time when my wife had a serious issue they pushed her right to the front of the line and we were in within 30 minutes.    I did see lots of older people who seemed to be ok in the waiting room... didn't look like threatening to me at all. 

I have a friend who was a nurse at HSC and she noted the a lot of people went to the ER simply to keep warm,  hang out,  drink the hand sanitzer (before they removed them) and to try to score free meals and lodging for the night.

15 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Shouldn't the job of admissions be to tell people that are not in medical emergency to go somewhere else and not admit them?  Seems too simple....Vote for me!

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Never happened.

Yeah.  Wab's bigger issue is his claim the woman lied.  Now that she has come forward and reiterated what happened, it changes the debate from "people can change" to "Wab's a liar".   Now other NDP'ers are being put in the position to say "yes, I always believe women who are victims of violence...but in this case, Im with Wab".  yikes.