Choice of channels coming to cable TV packages soon.

Fatty Liver

Good and finally.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cable-changes-timing-1.3326645

Canadian consumers should have basic package for $25 and choice for rest of channels

Cable and satellite providers must provide skinny basic packages priced at $25 a month to every consumer by March 1, 2016, the CRTC says.  The federal broadcast regulator laid out a timetable Thursday for changes to ways television signals are distributed across Canada.

In addition to the basic $25 package, cable and satellite providers must move to a pick-and-pay system or offer small bundles of channels, also by the March 1 deadline. They must offer both by Dec. 1 of next year.

The basic package must include channels on the CRTC's mandatory distribution list, including CBC, CTV and Global, a group of U.S. channels and aboriginal and minority English or French language channels. The U.S. channels usually would be CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and non-commercial channel PBS.

At least 10 of the channels must be local or regional, including the community channel and the proceedings of the provincial legislature, if available.

TV viewers will then be able to supplement this with either individual channels or small bundled channel packages.

The CRTC ruled last year that consumers should have access to more choice in their cable and satellite packages as well as cheaper basic packages. This is the first announcement of the deadlines for those changes.

Some critics of the new regime say consumers may end up paying more for fewer choices, depending on how the cable companies bundle and price individual channels or packages of channels.

And some specialty broadcasters worry they'll be left out in the cold if their signals aren't bundled with popular or must-have choices.

Somehow, Shaw, Rogers & Telus will find a way to screw us & keep their huge profits so it'll be the same or worse.

If they price the channels high enough individually, we'll end up paying more for less than what we have now.   IIRC, they only have to offer these new deals, people can choose to stay with their existing packages if it's a better deal for them.  Once they reveal the prices for the individual channels, people will have to do the math to see if there's any benefit for them in switching to the pick & pay system.

Stupid cable providers.  They constantly screw you over and keep hiking the prices.  It's no wonder a lot of people just skip buying cable TV and pirate everything.  Maybe lower your rates and people would actually want to pay for stuff.

Careful now, don't be greedy.  How would poor Jimmy Shaw get along without his $16,000/day for life pension? 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-magazine/jim-shaws-16000-a-day-pension/article567977/

This is one aspect of the Canadian business model that is repulsive.  The CRTC steps in to protect an industry by preventing competition from outside sources but then allows the industry they're protecting to rape fellow Canadians.

Ok what is Kodi?  I've been reading up on it but I'm not sure how it works.  Looks like a better Windows Media Center.  But how do you watch TV through it without a cable or satellite hookup?  Do you have to pay for this or what?

It's a free program (it used to be called XBMC or X-Box Media Center).  You can run it from a computer or off a box (think apple tv), all you need is an internet connection.

You can watch whatever you want (TV show, movie, sporting event, you name it) by loading "add-ons" which are basically subprograms that someone has created.  There are tons of add-ons, some are focused on certain things like only streaming movies or tv shows, while others do multiple things.  They are pretty fast at uploading too, you can usually find a stream within minutes of a show ending.  Some addons have live streaming but I find those tend to be hit & miss.

Ok what is Kodi?  I've been reading up on it but I'm not sure how it works.  Looks like a better Windows Media Center.  But how do you watch TV through it without a cable or satellite hookup?  Do you have to pay for this or what?

It's a free program (it used to be called XBMC or X-Box Media Center).  You can run it from a computer or off a box (think apple tv), all you need is an internet connection.

You can watch whatever you want (TV show, movie, sporting event, you name it) by loading "add-ons" which are basically subprograms that someone has created.  There are tons of add-ons, some are focused on certain things like only streaming movies or tv shows, while others do multiple things.  They are pretty fast at uploading too, you can usually find a stream within minutes of a show ending.  Some addons have live streaming but I find those tend to be hit & miss.

A lot of stuff on KODI is hit or miss. I want to compare it to sat hacking +/- turn of the century but those were good times.

Suggestion for Logan, install it for Windows and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nvLNRzyc9g

If I heard right the $25 basic cable fee applies to satellite as well?

Stupid cable providers.  They constantly screw you over and keep hiking the prices.  It's no wonder a lot of people just skip buying cable TV and pirate everything.  Maybe lower your rates and people would actually want to pay for stuff.

Careful now, don't be greedy.  How would poor Jimmy Shaw get along without his $16,000/day for life pension? 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-magazine/jim-shaws-16000-a-day-pension/article567977/

This is one aspect of the Canadian business model that is repulsive.  The CRTC steps in to protect an industry by preventing competition from outside sources but then allows the industry they're protecting to rape fellow Canadians.

Damn straight!

A lot of stuff on KODI is hit or miss. I want to compare it to sat hacking +/- turn of the century but those were good times.

Suggestion for Logan, install it for Windows and watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nvLNRzyc9g

If I heard right it applies to satellite as well?

Interesting.  I'd heard of Kodi but I never looked into it.  I read a bit of their website but it seemed...not specific about certain things.  Probably because they can't get into specifics otherwise legal action against giving free cable away.

When I said satellite I didn't mean my internet connection though.  I meant did you have to have some kind of TV cable/satellite hookup and then it steals from that or something.  So it's basically like downloading torrents, except sort of not really.  :D

Kodi itself is a nice media player which can browse your downloaded files and organize it in a very nice manner.

It also has addons which provide a variety of options.

Find your favorite show and you can watch any episode from any season. No commercials no nonsense it just streams nicely.

The same goes for movies.

Live tv does exist, the problem is that the live TV links go dead frequently.

But when it works its awesome.. You can watch almost anything, such as UK's BT Sport which plays live UFC events.

Some addons have awesome stuff such as the ability to watch any NHL game from this season.

If you don't watch live TV then its a no brainer to use it.

What outside sources? The ones the Americans complain steal their signals or something different?

Is it legal?

As legal as going on Youtube and listening to a music video

pretty sure youtube has a licensing agreement. the performers get paid, but it's a pittance.

Nearly every song has an official "page" and they are definitely licensed....  but the 1000's of music clips uploaded by randoms or when people use songs over whatever montages they are making technically would not be legal.

Another example would be an animated gif,   I saw a tonne of them of Ronda Rousey getting knocked out... technically that would be illegal to view however that picture was circulated around everywhere.     

Or even when people post clips of old Bomber highlights which are not from tsn...  technically illegal to view.