Paris Attacks

The Unknown Poster

Too many journalists ignore the West's role in all of this. Our countries have spent the past century mistreating the Middle East. When we weren't doing that, we were supplying them with weapons.

If we are to believe the media avoids mentioning Muslims in their news stories because it's not politically correct, then we should believe a thousand times more that our own governments carry a good share of the blame.

The middle east has hated us for way longer than 100 years.

Islam has been trying to eradicate Christianity since it's inception 1400 years ago.

And there has been an ethic cleansing of christians going on there for over a hundred years.

In the early 20th century 20% of the population of the middle east was Christian. ....now it's 5% and quickly falling.

Cause it's not like Christianity hasn't tried to eradicate other religions throughout history. 

I'd say Christians are all suckers. Suckers as in letting refugees in that among them would kill our loved ones in a second.

Too many journalists ignore the West's role in all of this. Our countries have spent the past century mistreating the Middle East. When we weren't doing that, we were supplying them with weapons.

If we are to believe the media avoids mentioning Muslims in their news stories because it's not politically correct, then we should believe a thousand times more that our own governments carry a good share of the blame.

The middle east has hated us for way longer than 100 years.

Islam has been trying to eradicate Christianity since it's inception 1400 years ago.

And there has been an ethic cleansing of christians going on there for over a hundred years.

In the early 20th century 20% of the population of the middle east was Christian. ....now it's 5% and quickly falling.

Cause it's not like Christianity hasn't tried to eradicate other religions throughout history. 

I'd say Christians are all suckers. Suckers as in letting refugees in that among them would kill our loved ones in a second.

I'm torn between that and thinking 'what if my family were on the run and had no where to go'?

I think that no matter which side we find ourselves on i,n this thread, we're all guilty of too much black and white either/or thinking.  

There will be not be a perfect solution. Screen refugees thoroughly and you're still taking a risk. Which is precisely what ISIS wants you to be afraid of.  

Or, shut out all the refugees and try to reconcile your conscience to their suffering by telling ourselves that 'at least our families are alive.'

There no easy answers, but one thing is certain: the truth, as always, is somewhere in the murky middle.

Its an ugly terrible situation caused by criminality, fanatacism, stupidity and greed, on all sides.

I expect that some of the leaders of the terrorists have fat bank accounts in the UAR, or Kuwait.

ditto some of our own "leaders".

The leadership of Hamas spends most of their time in Qatar, living in five star accommodation, paid mostly by all the millions of dollars of cash they've skimmed out of UN grants that were supposed to go to building schools and hospitals in Gaza, but instead went into building terror tunnels.  I will never understand all of the love of Hamas by the extreme left.  They are just as bad as ISIS in so many ways.

Oh yeah that's awesome! This is from the same lady who gave us:

The difference, my friends, between Israel and the Arab world is the difference between civilization and barbarism. It's the difference between good and evil [applause].... this is what we're witnessing in the Arabic world, They have no soul, they are dead set on killing and destruction. And in the name of something they call "Allah" which is very different from the God we believe....[applause] because our God is the God of love.

Also, she didn't really answer the girls's question in the video.

I think I will go back to checking out Noam's view on this is.

Once again, attack the person, but don't even address the message. What else is new around here.

Here's Rex Murphy on the Syrian situation. I expect Rex to get the same treatment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/rex-murphy-trudeau-s-refugee-promise-1.3327352

Yes, let's get Noam's take on everything. Can't wait, though I already pretty much know what he's going to say.

Manitoba Mennonite community, step up, as usual.

As Manitoba works towards welcoming upwards of 2,000 Syrian refugees in the coming weeks, the Mennonite Central Committee is getting a flood of calls from people who want to know how they can help. 

Arisnel Mesidor, MCC's migration and resettlement coordinator, believes the increase in calls is a direct response to the Syrian refugee crisis. 

"I haven't seen this kind of response since the early 80s with the boat people. I am getting calls from businesses, families who are forming groups, churches and even churches of different denominations who are banding together for the first time, all to help Syrian refugees. I have sponsors waiting, we are waiting for the refugees," he said.

CBC.

I admire the Mennonite community for their good works which are many.

Oh yeah that's awesome! This is from the same lady who gave us:

The difference, my friends, between Israel and the Arab world is the difference between civilization and barbarism. It's the difference between good and evil [applause].... this is what we're witnessing in the Arabic world, They have no soul, they are dead set on killing and destruction. And in the name of something they call "Allah" which is very different from the God we believe....[applause] because our God is the God of love.

Also, she didn't really answer the girls's question in the video.

Watching the video you could tell the lady was just itching for someone to ask a question that was somewhat in the ballpark of the topic she wanted to discuss.  And while she made some decent observations from an historical POV, her tone was loud and almost bullying.  The girl that asked the original (and innocuous I would add) question didn't deserve that.

And you're right WBFB, the lady didn't actually answer the question.  

Once again, attack the person, but don't even address the message. What else is new around here.

Here's Rex Murphy on the Syrian situation. I expect Rex to get the same treatment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/rex-murphy-trudeau-s-refugee-promise-1.3327352

Yes, let's get Noam's take on everything. Can't wait, though I already pretty much know what he's going to say.

Rex's take was alright.  Pragmatic and reasonable.  Doesn't really take a firm stand but this isn't really a black or white topic.  

Actually, I didn't even get a message from Bridget's little opportunistic rant... I watched a few times, and i fail to see the point she was making in her response to that woman's question... It's like she has this Right-wing anti-Muslim **** Political correctness shtick. Her rant had lots of numbers, lots of vile imagery, lots of bullishness, but no real point other than to excuse non political correctness, while she was still being politically correct- which is odd in itself...  I'm sorry, but she seems to me a poorman's version of Anne Coulter sans the sassiness.

As for Rex- He makes some very good points. His reasoning was sound and his tone was measured. Was a good example on how to have a polite discourse on a visceral subject and I applaud him- may not agree totally with what he is saying, but I take his points and give them a good pause for thought-> he's got some very good points, with excellent rationale. 

As for Noam, I am curious as to what you believe his take on the matter is- please share. 

The Islamic State; Saudi Arabia. In its struggle against terrorism, the West wages war on one, but shakes hands with the other. This is a mechanism of denial, and denial has a price:

preserving the famous strategic alliance with Saudi Arabia at the risk of forgetting that the kingdom also relies on an alliance with a religious clergy that produces, legitimizes, spreads, preaches and defends Wahhabism, the ultra-puritanical form of Islam that Daesh feeds on.

(ISIS) Daesh has a mother: the invasion of Iraq. But it also has a father: Saudi Arabia and its religious-industrial complex. Until that point is understood, battles may be won, but the war will be lost. Jihadists will be killed, only to be reborn again in future generations and raised on the same books.

New York Times.

If we are really concerned about these terrorist extremist threats, we have to face the fact that It comes from Saudi Arabia. Till that's done, nothing will change.

d820f910-8ee6-11e5-871c-fd8c46416a4d_San

This is the beauty who had a penchant for boys and boozing -- then blew herself to bits in the name of ISIS.

Hasna Ait Boulahcen, 26, obliterated herself -- her head and spine flew through a window -- after French anti-terror cops raided the hideout where she holed up with her cousin, Paris massacre mastermind Abdelhamid Abaaoud.

Now, friends and family are trying to reconcile the fun-loving stunner who smoked, drank and partied with the maniac killed Wednesday.

Her brother, Youssouf Ait Boulahcen, said he never once saw her open the Qur'an and that the frightening changes in his sister occurred all in the past month.

"She was living in her own world. She was not interested in studying her religion," he said in a statement. "She was permanently on her phone, looking at Facebook or WhatsApp.

"I told her to stop all of this but she would not listen, she ignored my numerous attempts to give her advice, telling me I was not her dad, or her husband, and so I should leave her alone."

After her death, photos emerged of a fun-loving young woman posing for a selfie in the bath wearing only jewelry.

Pal Amin Abou, 26, called her "a party animal who loved clubbing."

"I would see her in this club in Germany which is only 10 minutes away, but where we go out because it's much cheaper for alcohol," he told the Daily Mail, adding she loved cowboy hats.

"She didn't work or go to university. I don't think she even finished school ... She had a bad reputation. She had lots of boyfriends, but nothing serious."

But another friend suggested the daughter of Moroccan immigrants was lonely and had endured a difficult childhood, littered with foster homes.

A former neighbour described her as "outgoing" but "a bit clueless," and claims she started wearing a niqab about eight months ago.

"I can't believe she's part of this sect," the neighbour, known only as Hassane, said. "When I heard it, I felt sick. She was like all young girls -- it was who she was hanging out with."

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2015/11/19/22574799.html

So now they are saying she was not the bomber. 

Hasna Ait Boulahcen, the woman labelled "Europe's first woman suicide bomber" did not blow herself up during a police raid on an apartment building in Saint-Denis, new reports have claimed.

Despite French prosecutors initially saying she had detonated an explosives vest and died during the assault on Wednesday, a police source reportedly told Agence France-Presse​ news agency the suicide bomber who blew themselves up was a man, not a woman.

Boulahcen is reported to have shouted: “Help me, help me, I am on fire,” prior to the explosion. Her body parts were later found strewn across the road.

If you really wanted to get someone into Canada why would you chose to do it through a long and haphazard refugee process when foreigners are entering Canada everyday through other channels?

- we have tens of thousands of foreign students, many from the middle east. Ed Fast instituted a program last year to double that number (that's right, the Conservatives agreed that this was a worthwhile goal)

- we invite thousands of foreign workers every year to fill temporary jobs in Canada

- we have a regular immigrant program - the Conservative planned to bring in 285,000 this year.

- last year 5212 tourist entered Canada from countries other than the US

- 23,218 Iraqi refugees have already been settled in Canada (Yup - once again the conservatives did this and I didn't hear a single squawk from anyone while that was going on)

- the Conservative government had agreed to take on 10,000 Syrian refugees - apparently no one thought that terrorists would arrive in the first 10,000

Canada's Syrian refugee plan limited to women, children and families

Unaccompanied men not included because of ongoing security concerns

Rosemary Barton, CBC News Posted: Nov 22, 2015 9:00 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 22, 2015 9:47 PM ET

The federal government's much-anticipated Syrian refugee plan will limit those accepted into Canada to women, children and families only, CBC News has learned.

Sources tell CBC News that to deal with some ongoing concerns around security, unaccompanied men seeking asylum will not be part of the program.

The details of the plan will be announced Tuesday, but already Canadian officials have been working on the ground to process people.

CBC

The federal government's much-anticipated Syrian refugee plan will limit those accepted into Canada to women, children and families only, CBC News has learned.

Sources tell CBC News that to deal with some ongoing concerns around security, unaccompanied men seeking asylum will not be part of the program.

The details of the plan will be announced Tuesday, but already Canadian officials have been working on the ground to process people.

In the last six weeks alone, Canadian authorities have managed to screen about 100 people a day in Lebanon to help the government reach its ambitious of target of getting 25,000 Syrian refugees here by the end of the year.

These are on top of the refugees being processed by the United Nations Refugee Agency.

The government has so far been mum about both the kind of security screening it is doing and whether it will be limited to refugee camps overseas, or whether some of it will take place in Canada. 

But last week Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale said the process will be on top of what the United Nations is already doing. Canada's screening is being co-ordinated across departments, including the RCMP and CSIS.

As many as 900 refugees a day are expected to arrive from Turkey, Jordan and Lebanon. The vast majority of them will arrive in Toronto and Montreal.

Sources say most of the newcomers will initially be housed in military bases, which have been preparing for their arrival. Other kinds of housing will also be used, including hotels and abandoned hospitals.

Moreover, once in Canada, officials broadly expect refugees to be "mobile" in about a month's time: While thousands of people may arrive temporarily in one location, they may quickly disperse throughout Canada. 

There had been some initial concerns about trying to "contain" refugees to any given location for too long, given that the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees mobility rights. Those rights apply to refugees once they arrive in Canada and could open the government up to potential legal problems, if applied.

The price tag of such an ambitious plan over a short timeline is going to be significant.

Sources confirm the dollar figures reported by The Canadian Press on Friday: $876.7 million for this first year alone. A large part of those initial costs come from airlifting thousands of people by Dec. 31.

The total cost of the program is expected to be $1.2 billion over six years.

This is from September - before the election. Bringing in Syrian refugees by the end of 2015 has been in the works for a while. 

The Conservative government said Saturday it will speed up the processing of refugee applications in an effort to bring in "thousands more" Syrians and Iraqis by the end of 2015.

Immigration Minister Chris Alexander said the new measures mean the 10,000 Syrian refugees the government previously promised to resettle in the next three years would instead be brought to Canada by September 2016 — "a full 15 months earlier than anticipated," he told reporters in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough.

Syrians and Iraqis fleeing civil war and sectarian conflict will no longer have to prove they are convention refugees under the United Nations Refugee Agency, but will be presumed to be refugees by Canadian authorities for the purposes of vetting their applications.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-election-2015-chris-alexander-refugees-1.3235415

Bringing in 10,000 Syrian refugees by Sept 2016 is different than bringing in 25,000 by Christmas 2015. 

I generally support the idea of bringing in refugees.  Many of us are very blessed to have been born here.  We should share our good fortune with those less fortunate.  Just do it with an abundance of caution, and not just security-wise but as others have pointed out, the economic fortunes of the refugees coming here.

One question I have and perhaps Im misunderstanding the media chatter, but we have been told there is no security issue with these refugees and some are arguing its Islamaphobic to think there is...that ISIS will not use the refugee process to infiltrate western countries...and yet the government is restricting male refugees due to security concerns?  Does not compute.

On an off-topic note, my gf and sister went to one of the open-houses at a local Mosque and had a great time (aside from a bad allergic reaction to a Henna)

On an off-topic note, my gf and sister went to one of the open-houses at a local Mosque and had a great time (aside from a bad allergic reaction to a Henna)

SEE, SEE HOW INCLUSIVE I AM?!!?

Not sure what your point is...?  Is that a shot?  A lot of people went to the open house.  It was a great idea.