excellent article.. Lawless... CFL needs to protect quarterbacks

Mark F

burris has taken two in consecutive games.... one from the Bombers and one by Hamilton.

Just what the league needs, new franchise, good fan support, probably going to the Grey Cup, starting QB dinged at the end of the season by hits to the knees.

Well, hate to say it but... one way to possibly prevent Injuries to QB's and you can't exactly prevent all injuries, no way you could have prevented Durant or Willys injury or even Collaros or Reillys for that matter or Lulay or Glenns or just about every one who has been injured this year... But changing the ratio might help, have to start 6 canadians only.. then you could maybe play more Americans on the Oline and not even that guarantees anything.

I'm really not sure if anything can be done... It's football, contact sport... 

Think the QB's are a little too protected as is, not sure what else they can do besides putting a flag on the QB's wasit and instead of hitting him, you have to pull the flag off. 

Good fan support in Ottawa and Hamilton is considered a terrible crowd in Winnipeg... 24000 for those 2 teams are considered good crowd support, everywhere else other than toronto montreal and even bc, it's considered crap. 

There is no question the decline in the quality of the CFL the past 2 seasons is due to injuries to QBs. What rules do you think are actually going to provide QBs a greater element of protection? Implementing no blitzing? Wouldn't that significantly reduce QB pressure. Perhaps mandating that teams must play 4 nationals on the o line. Seriously the biggest reason for QB injuries? Sadly is inferior quality of National o linemen trying to block superior pass rushers and blitzers. I truly hasten to alter the ratio as to me it is part of the game that makes and keeps it true to our country. And we all seem to love the chess games and success of a pressure defence.

Good luck CFL.

burris has taken two in consecutive games.... one from the Bombers and one by Hamilton.

Just what the league needs, new franchise, good fan support, probably going to the Grey Cup, starting QB dinged at the end of the season by hits to the knees.

Yeah agree but as long as fans are homers nothing will happen. Look at this place we have members calling Burris a whiner. Yet the same fans are all over the refs with Willy's injury saying it was a dirty hit so it all depends on one's perspective if qb hits are legit or not. So, how can anything be done? It's all talk & lip service.

Burris was outside the pocket last game, he essentially become a running back at that time, Not sure why hitting him low would be seen as such a terrible thing when he's outside the pocket... the westerman hit was pretty brutal but it happens to every qb at least once or twice a year. 

I get what Lawless is saying, but at the same time, it's football.  On that particular play, Burris was no longer just a QB.  He was playing the role of a running back, which means that he should be able to be legally tackled in the same manner as any other ball carrier.  To start saying that there will be different rules for contacting a QB in all cases, regardless of what they are doing is just silly.  They could just as easily make the QB's wear flags and say no tackling them ever.  

Yes, QB's are important, but it's still supposed to be football.

if the QB is in the pocket, two hand touch counts as a tackle.  Otherwise, not sure what else to do. 

NFL QB injuries seem to be a lot lower, look at how little of Tom Brady's career has been lost due to injury.  Why is that?

Brady has always played on a good team with a pretty good offensive line. Plus he gets rid of the ball fast. 

if the QB is in the pocket, two hand touch counts as a tackle.  Otherwise, not sure what else to do. 

NFL QB injuries seem to be a lot lower, look at how little of Tom Brady's career has been lost due to injury.  Why is that?

Brady has always played on a good team with a pretty good offensive line. Plus he gets rid of the ball fast. 

Brady is a special case... so is Manning... he never gets hit hard cuz he just concedes and goes down when he knows he's about to get sacked... both players depend on good o-lines and quick release timing offenses...

Unfortunately we will never see a QB with the talent level of Brady or Manning in the CFL...

lawless quotes NFL rule, which would be a good start

"

The NFL values its quarterbacks and sees them as its superstars. It has the following article in its “protection of the passer,” segment of the rule book: “No defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction.”

Is that significantly different than the current CFL rule about hitting a QB low? The other issue is that an after the fact penalty has really not seemed to have proven to be much of a deterrent to QB hits. I'm not sure how you become proactive , again apart from no blitzing, which Really take away from the game. As I said earlier upgrading O line play be allowing 4 International to better protect QBs.

I'd just make a rule that any hit at or below the knee is an automatic roughing the passer. Any kind of contact.

So a would be defender would be penalized for using his arms/hands to trip up a QB trying to escape the pocket?  

No, only if the qb is in the process of throwing IN THE POCKET. 

Should not any tackle to any players knee be illegal. If I was receiver or rb i would be pissed if only the QB's knees are protected. I also don't get why any QB would not wear some sort of knee brace at all times. I know it reduces your mobility slightly but your livelihood is dependent on that body part.

What Westerman did was dangerous & what Lawrence did was the same. It may have been a legal hit but it was borderline dangerous. Man, if that hit had happened to Collaros Austin would have hit the roof with anger instead of saying Burris was complaining for nothing. That it was a legal tackle. And it was as Hank was running outside the pocket. 

Should not any tackle to any players knee be illegal. If I was receiver or rb i would be pissed if only the QB's knees are protected. I also don't get why any QB would not wear some sort of knee brace at all times. I know it reduces your mobility slightly but your livelihood is dependent on that body part.

I think diving directly towards the knees would be good to get rid of.  But grabbing someone's ankle and tripping them up would be legal.