Game Day Thread - Ott at Wpg

fan4life

This mess has to be placed at O'Shea's feet. He chose his own set of assistants and so far the offensive, defensive, special teams and O-line coaches has been exposed as bad choices. O'Shea is probably a good guy and loves his dog and may be beloved by his players, but the results are just not there. You can call for continuity, as a good thing, but continuity means more of the same, and this is not close to being satisfactory. No rookie head coach has ever survived this sort of horrible first two years, and for good reason.

Joe Zaleski did. Actually he had a worse record than O'Shea's first two years.

Bomber organization stuck with him for a third year and were rewarded with 3-12-1 season.

Is 7 11 year one really that bad? The 5 13 is but.... starting QB injured.... terrible O. Not sure the O is on O'shea exactly. D and special teams have got better. D was good enough to win today... the O just never took advantage. Asking your d to win games is tough... think that is what's happened this year. Our 5 wins are mainly due to Willy and our D. Our losses are all on the O in my opinion. 20 points scored today... 23 25 20 something the last several games. That's not enough to win on the cfl.

The Bomber defense is not as great as some people make it out to be.  With that said the O has one had one game this season in which it has scored 30 points.  Yep, one game.

525 yards against and 38 minutes of Ottawa offense tells me that the 'D' didn't have a good game.

3 huge turnovers and they were the reason we were even in the game.

If you want a reason for the 38 minutes of Ottawa TOP, look no further than the 6 carries for 20 yards by Cam Marshall or the 6 sacks on Matt Nichols.

The defense is as much to blame as the offense. Fatigue does not factor in when the defense gives up over 300 yards passing and 19 first downs in the first half. Huge chunks of real estate given up throughout the entire first two quarters including an embarrassing 75 yard td drive at the end of the half. Defense has lots of holes.

Maybe, but a bunch of that came when they essentially had to play an entire quarter with maybe a break or two of a play from our O. Hard to ask our D to keep up a high level of play when they can't get off the field for more than a minute.

I find it hard to get behind this D with some of the holes on it. I really dislike some of the players - Hurl, Peach, Shell, Bucknor, Anderson when he plays.  They just don't seem to have much of a positive effect.

Could not understand the lack of roll outs or somehow moving that pocket.  Nichols was sacked 6 times and drilled 4-5 times in the act of throwing.....while dropping straight back.   But then, I am incapable of understanding a lot of things, these days...

lol, have you seen anything different from this team, even with Marve in. The coaching is beyond bad, it's offensive to anyone who has ever been a fan of football. What we are being force fed is bush league.

Could not understand the lack of roll outs or somehow moving that pocket. Nichols was sacked 6 times and drilled 4-5 times in the act of throwing.....while dropping straight back. But then, I am incapable of understanding a lot of things, these days...

It's the Bellefeuille offense and its effect on him. He's now being held back by this offense.

This mess has to be placed at O'Shea's feet. He chose his own set of assistants and so far the offensive, defensive, special teams and O-line coaches has been exposed as bad choices. O'Shea is probably a good guy and loves his dog and may be beloved by his players, but the results are just not there. You can call for continuity, as a good thing, but continuity means more of the same, and this is not close to being satisfactory. No rookie head coach has ever survived this sort of horrible first two years, and for good reason.

Joe Zaleski did. Actually he had a worse record than O'Shea's first two years.

Bomber organization stuck with him for a third year and were rewarded with 3-12-1 season.

I stand corrected, but still: QED

Is 7 11 year one really that bad? The 5 13 is but.... starting QB injured.... terrible O. Not sure the O is on O'shea exactly. D and special teams have got better. D was good enough to win today... the O just never took advantage. Asking your d to win games is tough... think that is what's happened this year. Our 5 wins are mainly due to Willy and our D. Our losses are all on the O in my opinion. 20 points scored today... 23 25 20 something the last several games. That's not enough to win on the cfl.

Starting qb injury is an excuse. Injuries are part of the game. O is on MOS because he hired MB & lets him do his thing. D is better but ST have cost us games whether it's poor tackling or Liram melting down. No guarantee we'd be much better if Willy played or not. Remember the second half of last season where we lost 9 straight with Willy as qb? Tired of the excuses.

525 yards against and 38 minutes of Ottawa offense tells me that the 'D' didn't have a good game.

3 huge turnovers and they were the reason we were even in the game.

If you want a reason for the 38 minutes of Ottawa TOP, look no further than the 6 carries for 20 yards by Cam Marshall or the 6 sacks on Matt Nichols.

The defense is as much to blame as the offense. Fatigue does not factor in when the defense gives up over 300 yards passing and 19 first downs in the first half. Huge chunks of real estate given up throughout the entire first two quarters including an embarrassing 75 yard td drive at the end of the half. Defense has lots of holes.

Maybe, but a bunch of that came when they essentially had to play an entire quarter with maybe a break or two of a play from our O. Hard to ask our D to keep up a high level of play when they can't get off the field for more than a minute.

I find it hard to get behind this D with some of the holes on it. I really dislike some of the players - Hurl, Peach, Shell, Bucknor, Anderson when he plays.  They just don't seem to have much of a positive effect.

The way they use Hurl is just a waste of a player.

Having Hurl play a yard off the LOS eliminates him on at least 50% of the plays. Instead of being 12 on 11 it's 11 on 11 not counting the qb. I saw the Ott guard angle block him & drive him 5 yards away from the play. He isn't big enough to go one on one with a 300 lb monster who has the blocking angle on him so he's dead. It isn't his fault he's invisible. Hurl just gets buried. Just crazy. But that's the Bomber way & THAT IS WHAT WE DO.

Having Hurl play a yard off the LOS eliminates him on at least 50% of the plays. Instead of being 12 on 11 it's 11 on 11 not counting the qb. I saw the Ott guard angle block him & drive him 5 yards away from the play. He isn't big enough to go one on one with a 300 lb monster who has the blocking angle on him so he's dead. It isn't his fault he's invisible. Hurl just gets buried. Just crazy. But that's the Bomber way & THAT IS WHAT WE DO.

They play him up there because he has no closing speed...  fill a gap.  Labbe used to get that role

Play Bass-Wild-Sherman next game and move Leggett back to Safety full time, see what happens

Bryant Turner probably had his worst day as a pro today, seriously January could have performed as well this season as he did.

Seeing as Bryant Turner had a massive game as our DEFENSIVE TACKLE with 3 tackles and a sack and a defensive presence that has been missing lately, I guess we have to wonder if you're paying attention..

No, they didn't, but no defense can consistently excel when they spend so much time on the field. The O has to give them a break from time to time. Look at the time our D spent on the field today.

The defense is the best part of our team, but they didn't wear down as the game went on. Ottawa threw for 300 yards in the first half.

The RedBlacks did well with the ball...but they also had the ball. That's the point. If our offence could move the ball and hold on to the ball...Ottawa wouldn't have the ball, and would do less with it, and the defence wouldn't be on the field. I thought this was self-evident.

But in the end, their OC out-smarted our DC, and that's all that counts.

It's hard to stick up for any offensive player, but Chungh battled hard, and to me, Moore, Denmark and Adams wanted the ball...they really wanted the ball. And we couldn't always get it to them. Some of Nichols throws were awesome...some weren't worth throwing..at all.

This offence is just all so wrong. It's really hard to get a worth of the players when the schemes are to be questioned so hard.

On defence...Turner, arguably had his best game. Bass, Johnson and the Moe-man Leggett had good games...again.

A couple of weird non-calls for no yards on the Blue returners and no roughing after tossing Wild down...clearly out of bounds.

On to next year, and now I curse the bye week...for the delay.

Could not understand the lack of roll outs or somehow moving that pocket.  Nichols was sacked 6 times and drilled 4-5 times in the act of throwing.....while dropping straight back.   But then, I am incapable of understanding a lot of things, these days...

I honestly don't think MB has any schemes like that. What success Nichols did have came largely from scrambling and rolling out (not by design) such as the TD pass to Moore.