Around the NHL

10 hours ago, Noeller said:

a buddy and I talk all the time about how the NHL would be a lot better if they cut back to about 65 games, and a best of 5 opening round series. I know it'll never happen because $$$$$ but for the quality of the game, the health of the players, etc....it would be so much better with less hockey but higher QUALITY hockey...

...Oh, and cut it back to 21 teams.......

Hey now, I quite like having an NHL team in Wpg again. You shush.

45 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

The Ducks are expected to name Randy Carlyle as their new head coach on Tuesday, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

Good news for everyone in the Pacific but Anaheim. 

Gotta wonder if the ducks plan on trading Cory perry now. I bet it's possible and no I don't want that ****** on the jets. 

Carlyle wasn't the problem in Anaheim just like Bruce Boudreau wasn't.  It's the players. And no doubt a few might be on the way out 

Interesting talk of the salary cap possibly declining if the PA doesnt vote in favour of their yearly cap escalator.  This would put several teams in big trouble, including the Pens. 

I wonder if they could keep both FLeury and Murray for the season.  Then trade Fleury to Vegas for future considerations, which would be that Vegas would not pick someone the Pens wont to keep but cant protect.  Vegas then gets to make a splash before the expansion draft in adding a player the caliber of Fleury and making him the "face" of the franchise.  Probably not.  But it wouldnt surprise me to see Vegas swing some interesting deals.

Just now, JCon said:

I wonder if Chevy is suggesting that the rumours came from Trouba's camp?

I think they are, not necessarily because he wants to be traded, but because they're pushing for a deal to be done.

Perhaps.  Also interesting his said he didnt favour bridge deals and that he didnt think about offer sheets because they have plenty of cap space, implying they would match.  Effort to chill any attempt at an offer sheet.

Reading between the lines, I'd say Chevy is saying he wants a long term deal with Trouba, will match any offer and isnt opposed to trading him if need be.  Which could all be pressure on Trouba's camp if the player *wants* to play here.  Chevy is pouring cold water on the player's leverage (bridge and offer sheets) and basically saying if you dont want to do business here, then we will trade you and you might like that option even less.

I find it interesting that he does not favour bridge deals, considering how much he's been praised in the past for the bridge deals he signs.

In this case though, the bridge deal favours Trouba, where as a long-term, realistic deal would probably favour the Jets.

I assume the Jets will match any offer sheet but it will make him hard to trade if a big one comes in. Match is one thing, match and retain is another.