Around the NHL

Arctic guys

Further to what Goalie was saying in the game day thread

The Winnipeg Jets reported interest in New York Islanders defenseman, Travis Hamonic continues to be top quality fodder for media types. The rumor mill took another twirl today when hockey nice guy Elliotte Friedman shared the following thoughts on the radio (NBC Sports).

"I think the Islanders were offered Byfuglien and they said no," Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman said this morning on Sportsnet 960 (audio), per Today’s Slapshot. "And I understand why, because Byfuglien’s got no term left."

It shouldn't surprise many that the Islanders would turn down this deal. Hamonic is a long term asset, Byfuglien is not. What does surprise some is that Dustin Byfuglien's name was mentioned in the trade. Should this really be a surprise though?

Kevin Chelveldayoff went on record prior to the season saying that he hadn't talked to Byfuglien's camp since the draft. More recently, Byfuglien's camp suggested that the two groups had yet to start negotiations. It sure seems like Dustin Byfuglien is on this last leg as a member of the Winnipeg Jets.

Buff either a Jet or Wild next year.

Maybe but he strikes me as someone willing to sign wherever. So if he is traded this season I think that team would have a fair shot at him.

Is his wife local?

Remember he signed a long term deal in Atlanta when there was no guarantee of how that situation would be resolved. And if he wants big dollars, Wild would need

To fit that under their cap and I don't see buff as filling a need for them.

I wouldn't even give Ladd 6 years...especially the way he is playing... offer him 19 over 3 and tell him we can talk again in two years..... I'll repeat, I'd like to see Ladd traded WAY before Buff. Buff I would offer just over 21m for 3 years.

We have an interesting top 4 D...Toby is over his prime while Buff is in his prime or just starting to leave it and Myers is approaching his prime years. Trouba is young and a ways away from his prime years. Four players in different stages of their careers.

They won't accept 3 year deals. Fact.

If they would that offer to Ladd would be a 3 yr and not a 6 year. Both want long term. Wonder if that 6 x 6 is still on the table for Ladd

I'd work on trading buff now and let Ladd have until January to decide. If no decision by then... trade him and we move on.

I don't think Ladd and Buff are the difference between being a good team or bad team. 5 years with the current core. 1 playoff appearance. Not good enough.

Wheeler, Buff, Little and Ladd are arguably 4 of the 5 best players on the team and they all came from Atlanta.....maybe it is/was the surrounding team?    Think about it, if they can keep up their play for the next 3 years while the youngsters mature, is it not worth keeping them? Just a question. 

Burmi came over and so did Enstrom but his play is depreciating especially on O... Chiarot was in the minors....Thorbs came over...Stu and Pavs....who am I missing that is still here?

1 playoff appearance as a core group in 5 years isn't good enough. That's just how it is. They are our stars. Wheeler is our best player. Little is up there. They can stick around and mentor the kids. Ladd can too if he accepts the 6 x 6 deal. Buff is done here tho. It's obvious.

Lol buff for Gardiner cuz the leafs who are rebuilding would totally go for that. Plus Gardiner isn't even that good.