Around the NHL

Paul Friesen         @friesensunmedia

#NHLJets rookie Ehlers on last year's WJHC: "I love playing for my country. It was amazing."

I asked #NHLJets rookie N Ehlers if the Jets left the WJHC up to him, what would he do: "I don't think they're going to do that."

Ehlers on if his confidence could use the boost of the WJHC. "You know what, I don't think I need that." #NHLJets.

Well then, apparently based on a few posters here and maybe even Ehlers himself, his response should have been, "Thanks for the question, but it's not a boost in my confidence that's needed, but a boost in linemate talent is what's needed' . . ..

#NHLJets rookie Ehlers on last year's WJHC: "I love playing for my country. It was amazing."

I asked #NHLJets rookie N Ehlers if the Jets left the WJHC up to him, what would he do: "I don't think they're going to do that."

Ehlers on if his confidence could use the boost of the WJHC. "You know what, I don't think I need that." #NHLJets.

Well then, apparently based on a few posters here and maybe even Ehlers himself, his response should have been, "Thanks for the question, but it's not a boost in my confidence that's needed, but a boost in linemate talent is what's needed' . . ..

Or maybe he just needs time to work through and adjust to the elevated competition in the NHL like most rookies do.

Or maybe he just needs time to work through and adjust to the elevated competition in the NHL like most rookies do.

100% agree.

Sure he needs time.  He's young.  A couple of weeks at Christmas to gain some elite level experience is never a bad thing though.  I'd send him.  And I wouldnt think twice about it.  Especially if he wants to go.

NHL more elite level experience then WJHC.

Heck AHL more elite level experience then WJHC.

Sure he needs time.  He's young.  A couple of weeks at Christmas to gain some elite level experience is never a bad thing though.  I'd send him.  And I wouldnt think twice about it.  Especially if he wants to go.

You think he'd gain more from two weeks in the AHL then two weeks at the WJHC?  I dont.  Now, Im no expert on it, but the idea he needs time to grow as a player in the NHL is true but is also irrelevant to the WJHC.

You think he'd gain more from two weeks in the AHL then two weeks at the WJHC?  I dont.  Now, Im no expert on it, but the idea he needs time to grow as a player in the NHL is true but is also irrelevant to the WJHC.

I don't think Ehlers should be in AHL I'm saying AHL is better experience for someone like Ehlers then WJHC.

For Ehlers if he is sent to the WJHC, its a demotion.

I don't think Ehlers should be in AHL I'm saying AHL is better experience for someone like Ehlers then WJHC.

For Ehlers if he is sent to the WJHC, its a demotion.

I'm sure the WJHC would be fun for him, but it certainly isn't better hockey.

“I won't start that discussion,” head coach Paul Maurice said, Wednesday. “Not a player that you're relying on to win games. Especially if a guy's played there before. He's had the experience. This is the end game. The NHL is where they're trying to get to.

“They use those experiences to better prepare themselves for the NHL, and if they've made the NHL I don't know that they need to go back and re-do that.”

I'll just add this

Playing against guys his own age and younger won't help, he needs to play more against the NHL calibre players, are those guys at the WJHC NHL caliber? some are, some aren't.

He showed last year that he was too good to play against guys his own age and younger, he needs to learn to play against bigger stronger players...

I'm not sure where this Ehlers is sucking stuff is coming from anyway, he's a rookie, he's gonna have ups and downs, probably more downs than ups his first year... but the guy doesn't look out of place or he doesn't seem like he's struggling, the guy has hit more posts than anyone on the team, if 5 of those go in, is this conversation happening even? 

Maurice said when he switched up the lines, Scheif's line was asked to take on more responsibility defensively. Ehler's play has dropped off from his start for lots of reasons though. He still has to find out what will and will not work in the NHL. Lots of things he got away with in the juniors won't be tolerated up in the bigs too. He'll be a great player for this team and let's remember, he is 19 years old. He'll be fine. I would love to see him on a line like Ehlers, Scheif and Wheeler.

There is actually a story I read today, one of those fancy pants advanced stats things that showed Ehlers in a good light.

Ill defer to the experts like Maurice and Chevy.  But as a fan, I always wanted these players to go before the Jets returned because I liked the tournament so I dont want to be biased.  The WJHC is a good tourney and I;d like to see the best junior aged players there.  Having said that Ehlers isnt riding the pine here so its not like he's a "junior" player.

I'll just add this

Playing against guys his own age and younger won't help, he needs to play more against the NHL calibre players, are those guys at the WJHC NHL caliber? some are, some aren't.

He showed last year that he was too good to play against guys his own age and younger, he needs to learn to play against bigger stronger players...

I'm not sure where this Ehlers is sucking stuff is coming from anyway, he's a rookie, he's gonna have ups and downs, probably more downs than ups his first year... but the guy doesn't look out of place or he doesn't seem like he's struggling, the guy has hit more posts than anyone on the team, if 5 of those go in, is this conversation happening even? 

You did mention though from a previous post that his linemates are dragging him down. I don't think that's entirely accurate to place his 'learning the game' play on the back of others. That's all I'm saying with Ehlers, I like him and he's responsible for his play like any other player on this team. 

The problem is that Ehlers still had another year of junior eligibility and can therefore not be sent down to the Moose. It had been said that he would rather go play in Europe this year than plan in Juniors.  

I think the Jets wanted to keep him close to home and within the organization.

This is true and it handcuffed the Jets a bit as they probably knew that Ehlers was not ready to play in the NHL but also did not want to send him to Europe,and back to juniors would be a step back for him. Don't know if true but had heard that the Jets had petitioned the NHL for an exemption for Ehlers to play in the AHL but were shot down.