Around the NHL

Travis Hamonic’s reasons for requesting a trade from the New York Islanders are personal.

The defenseman cited a family matter when he addressed the media Thursday, after news broke Wednesday that he had requested a trade prior to the start of the season.

“The root of all this is a personal family matter of mine that I hold dear to my heart,” Hamonic said. “It has nothing to do with the organization or how I’ve been treated here for six years of playing and another two or three since I was drafted. I’ve honestly been treated like gold from the start.”

Hamonic didn’t offer details on his personal situation, though he addressed his teammates before speaking publicly.

“Just explaining what was going on was one of the more difficult conversations I think I’ve had in my life,” Hamonic said of addressing his teammates. “It certainly wasn’t easy, but they’ve been there for me for many years now, different situations in my life and my career. They’ve certainly been there this far.”

Hamonic thanked general manager Garth Snow, head coach Jack Capuano and principal owner Charles Wang for all they had done for him both as an Islander and in this difficult situation.

“When [Garth and I] talked about this, it was more on a personal level than just a player-GM thing,” Hamonic said. “He understands what this means for me and how difficult it is. He’s really been there for me and I couldn’t thank him enough.”

Capuano lauded Hamonic’s professionalism, as the Islanders defenseman has played all 19 games this season, helping the team to a 10-6-3 record.

“You can see the professionalism in him and what a teammate that he’s been and what a first-class individual he’s been,” Capuano said. “I’ve known for a while and it hasn’t affected his game. If anything, he’s played better.”

Hamonic said his focus has been on playing hard for the Islanders throughout the duration of the process and helping the team continue to win.

“I’ve been playing for the past couple of months and there hasn’t been an issue for me,” he said. “I’m still a teammate and someone who wants to play hard and wants to win. That’s not going to get lost in this process whatsoever. I’m going to go out there and play as hard as I can till I’m told otherwise. That’s my job and that’s what I want to do.”

Islanders players showed their support when speaking with the media Thursday, acknowledging the personal difficulty of the situation for their teammate.

“He's like a brother to many of us...I've been with him here a long time and he's a great guy,” John Tavares said. “We're there to support him, we're there for him and we made sure we let him know that.”

“We all go through adversity in life,” Capuano said. “Life is more important than the game.”

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=788686

If the Oilers land him, I hope they give up a lot because if they dont, Chevy will have to wear the goat horns.

Top 4 D? Check

Good contract? Check

Right age? Check

Local boy? Check

Wants to play here? Check

How often does that happen?

Right handed D man? Check.

How many RHD man do we need?

I agree.  But thats where the Buff thing factors in.

We have a major UFA.  if Buff left for nothing, how comfortable are we with Myers and Trouba?  In a perfect world, they are both top 4.  But Myers, to me, plays the style that we like as a luxury if everything else is firing for us.  Trouba should develop into an elite level D.  I mean, Myers and Trouba on the right side is good.  But someone like Hamonic is the kind of shut down guy you want.

So...it depends on Buff really.  They've been moving Myers or Trouba to LHD.  If that is a permanent solution then:

Enstrom-Myers

Trouba-Buff

???-Hamonic

Is a pretty darn good D corp.

Travis Hamonic’s reasons for requesting a trade from the New York Islanders are personal.

The defenseman cited a family matter when he addressed the media Thursday, after news broke Wednesday that he had requested a trade prior to the start of the season.

“The root of all this is a personal family matter of mine that I hold dear to my heart,” Hamonic said. “It has nothing to do with the organization or how I’ve been treated here for six years of playing and another two or three since I was drafted. I’ve honestly been treated like gold from the start.”

Hamonic didn’t offer details on his personal situation, though he addressed his teammates before speaking publicly.

“Just explaining what was going on was one of the more difficult conversations I think I’ve had in my life,” Hamonic said of addressing his teammates. “It certainly wasn’t easy, but they’ve been there for me for many years now, different situations in my life and my career. They’ve certainly been there this far.”

Hamonic thanked general manager Garth Snow, head coach Jack Capuano and principal owner Charles Wang for all they had done for him both as an Islander and in this difficult situation.

“When [Garth and I] talked about this, it was more on a personal level than just a player-GM thing,” Hamonic said. “He understands what this means for me and how difficult it is. He’s really been there for me and I couldn’t thank him enough.”

Capuano lauded Hamonic’s professionalism, as the Islanders defenseman has played all 19 games this season, helping the team to a 10-6-3 record.

“You can see the professionalism in him and what a teammate that he’s been and what a first-class individual he’s been,” Capuano said. “I’ve known for a while and it hasn’t affected his game. If anything, he’s played better.”

Hamonic said his focus has been on playing hard for the Islanders throughout the duration of the process and helping the team continue to win.

“I’ve been playing for the past couple of months and there hasn’t been an issue for me,” he said. “I’m still a teammate and someone who wants to play hard and wants to win. That’s not going to get lost in this process whatsoever. I’m going to go out there and play as hard as I can till I’m told otherwise. That’s my job and that’s what I want to do.”

Islanders players showed their support when speaking with the media Thursday, acknowledging the personal difficulty of the situation for their teammate.

“He's like a brother to many of us...I've been with him here a long time and he's a great guy,” John Tavares said. “We're there to support him, we're there for him and we made sure we let him know that.”

“We all go through adversity in life,” Capuano said. “Life is more important than the game.”

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=788686

Okay I like him even more now. Stafford and Trouba for Hamonic and 1st round pick.

Where's the dis-satisfaction with Trouba coming from?  WAAAAAY too much upside to give up on yet.  If there are off-ice issues where his character doesnt fit with the Jets, so be it.

An added bonus to Hamonic is, he's likely easier to re-sign in a few years since he actually wants to be here as his first choice.  He'd be a rock star as a local kid.

Where's the dis-satisfaction with Trouba coming from?  WAAAAAY too much upside to give up on yet.  If there are off-ice issues where his character doesnt fit with the Jets, so be it.

An added bonus to Hamonic is, he's likely easier to re-sign in a few years since he actually wants to be here as his first choice.  He'd be a rock star as a local kid.

For me no issues with Trouba, love him, just more of 'got to give something to get something' type thing that's all. Unless of course you can hoodwink Garth Snow, go for it.

Here's a couple of conversation pieces from our favourite rumor mongerer (Eklund):

On Tampa and Winnipeg

I am hearing the Lightning have talked to Winnipeg about a deal that would bring Tyler Myers to Tampa for a "young top 6 forward." What is a bit curious is Hamonic rumors involving Winnipeg could be tied to such a deal. The Jets would probably not be able to keep both Myers and Harmonic. I continue to hear the Isles best option is Winnipeg

and finally...the main event..

I am hearing Loui Eriksson linked to Winnipeg in a deal which would see Dustin Byfuglien heading to Boston....Both players are in need of new contracts and both look likely to move on next year...could the Bruins sign Dustin?

Eklund is never right, the Only team he is connected to is Philly and even then he's wrong 90 percent of the time. All Eklund rumors should probably not be posted unless someone more credible has posted them too.

I do see Hamonic ending up here tho, I really do... We don't need 3 Offensive D men, we need a shut down type, a d man who plays d  first, doesn't hurt that he's from here pretty much and doesn't hurt that he's a great guy who gives back big time. My guess is Hamonic will eventually be a JET.

The Tampa rumor is interesting since they do have a ton of young top 6 guys.. Drouin being one, Kucherov,Palat even... lots more actually. They would be a team to talk too, I could see Enstrom being shopped to Tampa for a top 6 guy... and then Myers going to NYI for Hamonic.

The Buff to Boston stuff has been talked about for ages now, It's Boston or Philly all the time... If something was gonna happen, it would have by now and no way in hell do i want Loui Friggin Eriksson as the center piece for a Buff deal... Boston adds, a bunch. 

The one thing i will say about Trouba... there has to be some concern about his commitment, not to the Jets but to his fitness level, the guy doesn't work out, that's the big knock on him, he's not a guy that spends time in the gym and that will catch up to him eventually, would i move Trouba for Hamonic? Nope...Islander would need to add something for sure, If they added Strome or Brock Nelson, would i think about it? You bet, long and hard too, Not sure what conclusion i'd come too even. But nobody should be untouchable on the Jets, nobody... unless you are named Scheifele or Ehlers or Wheeler really... The rest are up for grabs if the right deal came along in my opinion. But, in order to make a trade, you need to also win that trade and if you are trading Trouba for Hamonic, I'm not sure you are winning that trade. Myers for Hamonic? I do it. Myers,Burmi for Hamonic? I do it. 

Regarding Enstrom, I think his time in Winnipeg is going to be coming to an end soon, He's the highest paid Jet, can you believe that actually? He actually is the highest paid guy on the team... That's probably why they are shopping him... Does it create a problem on the back end? Maybe, maybe not... but Enstrom being the highest paid Jet, well that certainly creates a problem for sure. 

I think, once it all boils down to the end here, Hamonic will be a Jet, Myers won't be, Toby won't be (traded for Top 6 forward or LHD help)

Toby being the highest paid Jet, to me, it means he's probably gonna be traded eventually. 

Oh and Petan, I ain't giving up on him just yet, Guys like him need time in the A to develop, His potential is top 6, at worst top 9, there was no point in having him up with the big club playing 4th line minutes when his ceiling is much higher, Not giving up on Petan just yet... I don't want him to turn out to be a Tyler Johnson in a couple years on another team, Let him develop and play big minutes in the A, it's good for him, it's good for the Jets, it's good for the Moose, it's a win win really for everybody involved and it's a big win for Petan cuz he won't be playing with 4th line goons. 

Wheeler leaves practice with a  towel to his head after taking a Buff shot to the head...

hope it isn't serious...

If Enstrom is traded, we neeed a LHD or we are left with Stuart, Chiarot, and Pardy as our LHD. Pardy played not bad but he really shouldn't be in the lineup if you ask me. Neither should Stu or Chiarot actually.

Pardy is fine as the third pair D man... Every team has a guy like him on their team... Pardy is very under rated in my opinion.

Paul Maurice says he wants to get back to being the "big and fast" team opposing coaches told him the #NHLJets were last year.

Yup. Yet Chicago has smaller skilled forwards like Kane and Panarin, St Louis has Fabbri playing top 9 minutes... yup, Maurice is refusing to adapt... Look at Dallas and all their skill...

It's not about being big and fast, it's about being skilled and fast...The Big and Fast Jets team leads the league in penalties, they have a bulls eye on their backs because of it.

Time to adapt Maurice and look at what the teams in your division are doing.

Not really, They have just inquired about him. 

Sportsnet just throwing stuff against the wall again

Islanders want a top 4 D man in return, The only team who can actually give them that is Winnipeg. 

Pardy is fine as the third pair D man... Every team has a guy like him on their team... Pardy is very under rated in my opinion.

Paul Maurice says he wants to get back to being the "big and fast" team opposing coaches told him the #NHLJets were last year.

Yup. Yet Chicago has smaller skilled forwards like Kane and Panarin, St Louis has Fabbri playing top 9 minutes... yup, Maurice is refusing to adapt... Look at Dallas and all their skill...

It's not about being big and fast, it's about being skilled and fast...The Big and Fast Jets team leads the league in penalties, they have a bulls eye on their backs because of it.

Time to adapt Maurice and look at what the teams in your division are doing.

Tell me you didn't just quote Friesen...

Would rather see Chiarot than Pardy.....Pardy isn't going to get better and we don't know if Chiarot will or not. Chiarot has to stick to the game he was playing last year and not worry about putting up points and take care of his own end.

Someone made a good point on H&L last night. Trouba is one of the Crown Jewels of Chevy's draft and develop mentality. Trading him so soon is an admission they drafted Wrong

Jets are stubborn. They kept kane for three years after he asked for a trade and only traded him once there was a public locker room issue. Jets might stubborn themselves out of opportunities.

LOL. The Jets aren't the only team in the league who has a farm team, they all do... Every team does the same thing.... Draft and Develop, they all do it... Every last one of them.... some like the leafs prior to a couple years ago tried to buy talent, it didn't work... But every team in the league drafts players and then develops them. I'm not sure why the Jets having a few guys they drafted playing for the Moose is any different than St Louis having a bunch playing for the Chicago Wolves or whatever. 

This is not a Jets exclusive thing. Every team does it. 

They have traded multiple draft picks, they traded a 2nd rounder for Devin Setogucci, they traded a couple picks for Frolik, they traded a pick for Jay Harrison...

How is that any different than what other teams do? Because they haven't traded a first? Not many teams do actually trade their first round picks. 

You really think the Jets trade as much picks as other teams?

What did they give for Harrison? A 6thand the Canes kept 1/3 of his salary?

They traded a couple for Fro but made trades and got similar picks back...

Look up what the Blues and Preds did the last couple of years not to mention the Rangers.

Why are you comparing the Jets to the blues or rangers or predators who are in a win NOW mode? 

Theres the difference, those teams are in the WIN NOW mode, the Jets aren't... when the Jets get to the point of being in the WIN NOW mode, they will also trade their picks or prospects.

Hell,Chevy was on Jets Lunch on TSN1290 about a week ago and pretty much said the same thing

Talked of the goaltending depth and alked about Comrie and Helle and others and said, yes it's nice to have depth in that position, mentioned Philips too, Said, a guy might graduate to the big club, or maybe another guy is packaged in a trade to get you something else.

It's what all teams do.

The first few years, they couldn't trade any picks really because the cupboards were empty, absolutely empty, they had nothing in the system, Klingberg and Patrice Cormier really... That's it... 

Now, the cupboards are getting fuller,, they have prospects with the Moose, they have prospects playing in College... The cupboards are getting pretty full so one day, maybe not soon, but when the Jets are actual playoff contenders and not a bubble team, they will move some of these guys for help.