Markus Howell as the new OC - Free Press

dmillerywg

Markus Howell should be made offensive coordinator. Free Press Article by Gary Lawless

Mike O?Shea should have done this Saturday night. Or Sunday morning if he really felt the need to see the film. But he won?t, which casts a light on both a strength and a weakness of this young head coach.

Bombers offensive coordinator Marcel Bellefeuille and quarterbacks coach Gene Dahlquist need to be demoted. Markus Howell should be made offensive coordinator and Buck Pierce named quarterbacks coach.

O?Shea has stuck his nose into the areas of defence and specials teams of late and they?ve improved. Offence isn?t his forte, however, so it?s difficult to imagine him having a meaningful impact in terms of new ideas.

No, the easiest fix here is to give Howell and Pierce more power and influence.

Winnipeg?s offence is missing a lot of things ? mostly a quarterback which likely won?t be fixed until Drew Willy gets healthy. But the offence is also outmatched in scheme and play-calling.

Last in total yardage, last in points (145), last in points per game average (16.1), last in passing yardage and seventh in rush yardage. Undoubtedly the worst offence in the CFL.

Howell and Pierce would represent an upgrade over Bellefeuille and Dahlquist. Howell is smart and now experienced. Pierce not long ago was a quarterback in this league. He knows what other teams have been doing. They have ideas and deserve a chance to try and implement them. It can?t get worse, right?

O?Shea, like the rest of us, has a few blind spots. A second-year head coach, he likes to hire people to do their jobs and give them the opportunity to succeed. He?s loyal. But loyalty has to come in the form of what?s best for the team and organization and not just the individual.

O?Shea hasn?t earned the gravitas to lean on his way of thinking and to not re-consider some of his positions. That comes with years of experience and a proven formula.

We saw this play out last season when he stuck with defensive coordinator Gary Etcheverry when his scheme was proven porous. O?Shea waited until almost Christmas before firing the veteran coach.

As a young coach, O?Shea has wanted to surround himself with seasoned assistants. In theory, it?s a good idea. But it didn?t work with Etcheverry and it?s not working with Bellefeuille.

This offence isn?t effective. The Bombers haven?t proven capable of running or passing the ball. Some of it is personnel, but it?s also the game plan.

The coach has to see what the rest of us are watching and that?s an offence trying to operate with a playbook well past its prime.

All across the CFL, young and creative minds are doing wonders with their team?s offence. Winnipeg is not one of those places. With a little shuffling of the chess pieces that could change.

Never was it more evident than Saturday night with Calgary Stampeders offensive coordinator Dave Dickenson using multiple looks and formations to get the ball into the hands of his play-makers.

The Bombers? Who knows what they drew up because quarterback Robert Marve certainly didn?t execute it. That?s on the quarterback one might argue, but the coordinator has to recognize what his players can or cannot handle. Marve wasn?t put into a position to succeed.

Calgary is ahead of the curve and forward thinking. Not Winnipeg. Not right now.

Coaching can only go so far. The right personnel has to be in place for success to be achieved. But Winnipeg?s offensive roster is better than what we?ve seen this season.

Willy is a smart and effective quarterback but even under his hands this offence was predictable in scheme and inconsistent in results.

Changing the coach is far too often just a quick reflex suggestion. More often, a team?s failure is a result of poor execution and a lack of talent.

Nine games into this season and the Bombers remain in the playoff picture. The defence is coming into form and special teams were a strength in Saturday?s loss to the Stamps.

The offence, however, couldn?t stay on the field and eventually the defence gave out.

There?s still some life in this season. But it?ll be quickly extinguished if the offence can?t begin to chip in. Right now it?s the weak link, sapping energy from the rest of the team.

Talking to players around the league and in Winnipeg, O?Shea is gaining a reputation as a coach players want to work for. He?s a players coach but he also runs a tight operation. That will go a long way for a coach with the right personnel and coaching staff.

Just like the roster still needs tweaking, so does the staff.

Bellefeuille has had his opportunity to straighten this out. It hasn?t happened. Time to give someone else a chance.

Howell has earned an opportunity.

So be loyal, Coach O?Shea. Put the needs of the many ahead of the few.

Give change a chance.

gary.lawless@freepress.mb.ca

Twitter: @garylawless

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/Say-bye-bye-to-Bellefeuille-and-make-Markus-the-man-323512751.html#st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/sbnwwzk2pQ

That last paragraph about O'shea being a coach players want to play for should shut some people up... but won't

Not sure what you mean, I don't see many calling for MOS's head its Marcel B. we are taking about,

Mike O'Shea is a great leader and players do want to play for him however his one big weakens is he is putting Coaches and Players ahead of the overall good of the team

and a top level HC Never does that, I do think that MOS will be a very good HC one day my issue is will he learn from his mistakes quickly enough if he is learning he will replace the biggest problem on

the team sooner than later ( Marcel B. )

That last paragraph about O'shea being a coach players want to play for should shut some people up... but won't

Not sure what you mean, I don't see many calling for MOS's head its Marcel B. we are taking about,

Mike O'Shea is a great leader and players do want to play for him however his one big weakens is he is putting Coaches and Players ahead of the overall good of the team

and a top level HC Never does that, I do think that MOS will be a very good HC one day my issue is will he learn from his mistakes quickly enough if he is learning he will replace the biggest problem on

Have you not read the forums?  Lots of guys here are saying we should fire MOS.

Have you not read the forums?  Lots of guys here are saying we should fire MOS.

Yes some but I don't get the impression its the majority I would say 10-15% for MOS and 70-85% for MB and a few for Walters Head...

but yes I have read some negative MOS comments they will only get worse if he doesn't take some action and if they continue to struggle on offence...

Well as soon as the media lobbies for something it will gain no real traction. Do u think anyone in that organization wants to be perceived as bowing to either media or public pressure at this time? Not a chance.

LOL! The BOD/GM have been listening to the bitching by the fans for years and followed it to a T pretty much. Another loss and I think Lawless be 100% right :o

Given the current personnel and QB situation someone would have to be nuts to want the OC job right now

I don't agree look how MB got the job he helped out in a time of need and the Bomber stayed very loyal to him .... way to loyal IMO.. so anyone willing to step up at this time would be give more short term patience ... long term its a different story...

I'm no fan of Bellefeuille, but it's ridiculous to think that someone else calling the plays is going to make a lick of difference with Marve or Brohm.

Different schemes would make a difference though.

Only if you bring in Paul Johnson and the triple option.  Marve can't pass, probably can't throw either, Brohm can't throw for sure.  Good luck.

I'm no fan of Bellefeuille, but it's ridiculous to think that someone else calling the plays is going to make a lick of difference with Marve or Brohm.

Only if you bring in Paul Johnson and the triple option. Marve can't pass, probably can't throw either, Brohm can't throw for sure. Good luck.

Throw in some screens and crossing patterns. Makes it easier on the QB and makes a QB look better.

Only if you bring in Paul Johnson and the triple option. Marve can't pass, probably can't throw either, Brohm can't throw for sure. Good luck.

Throw in some screens and crossing patterns. Makes it easier on the QB and makes a QB look better.

Or running plays as well.  Running plays are goooood.  And not just straight up the middle plays either.  Marshall only got the ball 9 times and Thomas 3.

They have a funny way of showing it......

Or you watching on TV or in the stands just refuse to see it. Guys in the know and people around the cfl vs a fan on a message board. Hmm. Who to believe