3rd Down Nation: Bomber Thoughts: Tor vs Wpg

iso_55

Rave all you want about the punter/kicker and crucify the ST coach but that punt return for a TD was his fault and no one else's. Get to boom those punts as far as you can but to put a booming punt like that in the middle of the field is a cardinal sin. Firstly you have out kicked any type of coverage by 15 yds ( especially) given the new rules on releasing at the LOS. Secondly, by placing the ball in the middle of the field you have now required the cover team to blanket the entire width of the field. A punt should be between the numbers and the sidelines. At the very least between the hash marks and the sidelines. That then provides the sidelines as a boundary for containing a return thereby not giving a returner the entire width it find a seam. Credit where credi is due, blame equally where due. Players have to execute - you don't think he has been coached on where to locate a punt?

Rave all you want about the punter/kicker and crucify the ST coach but that punt return for a TD was his fault and no one else's. Get to boom those punts as far as you can but to put a booming punt like that in the middle of the field is a cardinal sin. Firstly you have out kicked any type of coverage by 15 yds ( especially) given the new rules on releasing at the LOS. Secondly, by placing the ball in the middle of the field you have now required the cover team to blanket the entire width of the field. A punt should be between the numbers and the sidelines. At the very least between the hash marks and the sidelines. That then provides the sidelines as a boundary for containing a return thereby not giving a returner the entire width it find a seam. Credit where credi is due, blame equally where due. Players have to execute - you don't think he has been coached on where to locate a punt?

I'm beginning to believe that the Bombers would get much better kicking results if they went back to dividing the duties between two players and let Lirim concentrate on what he does best. It might produce a bit of a ratio kerfuffle if they can't locate an excellent Canuck kicker but other teams seem to be able to deal with it.

ST is a huge part of the game and it's just as important as the O or the D when it comes down to allowing or producing points that ultimately win or lose games.

westwood thinks Lirim did a great job punting the game before last night. don't know what he said about that play  last night.

today saw Ian Wild make a nice play v. Jaguars…. tackled a runner for no gain.

think he'll be on the steelers this season.

forum quiet, reality setting in.

adding on last year's doings, things don't seem that great I suppose. 

plug one leak, another appears.

If the Bombers are unhappy with Hajrullahu, Swayze will be back for the Argos next week, forcing them to release Pfeiffer or Swayze and Pfieffer is a Canuck (I think). So we ought to have an option unless Pfeiffer develops a sudden and mysterious injury.

Sooooo.. Nobody wants to comment on his two 52 yarders and the 1 yarder coffin corner punt that realistically should have sealed the damn deal with that safety after?

No.. Just about his one huge punt that was shaked slightly to middle of field..

Or the fact an entire cover team wiffed on a guy.. AND one guy took out lirim when he had his chance to stop him..

Unreal.

The guy is inconsistent at times, no doubt.. But he is also a phenominally accurate kicker very often as well.. If he can shake the inconsistencies from his game or mechanics, he will be lights out..

Id not even consider moving on from him at this point.

Sooooo.. Nobody wants to comment on his two 52 yarders and the 1 yarder coffin corner punt that realistically should have sealed the damn deal with that safety after?

Or the fact an entire cover team wiffed on a guy.. AND one guy took out lirim when he had his chance to stop him..

Unreal.

The guy is inconsistent at times, no doubt.. But he is also a phenominally accurate kicker very often as well.. If he can shake the inconsistencies from his game or mechanics, he will be lights out..

I don't think anyone is suggesting moving on from Lirim but expecting less errors and more consistency from him is not unreasonable.  How many games have the Bombers lost were his errors contributed significantly?  I think it's up to 3 games now and that's far too many, he's even outpacing Stoudermire..

Unreal.

17-14 with a quarter left seals the deal?

Hajrullahu is not a good punter.  He's got a big leg but his directional kicking is too inconsistent.  The cover team sets up to cover the kick going to a certain area, when the kick is 15 yards wide of that, the returner has a bunch of field to work with and basically one guy to beat before the kicker.  

He's also inconsistent in terms of how long it takes him to get the ball off.  We've had 3 blocked and many more close calls.  Ideally we'd have a punter who is a punter.  Lirim should practice his punts between the 20s as much as he practices the coffin corner, cause those are the ones that are killing us.

Yeah, Lirim needs to work on a few things.... but He's a Canadian that can do all 3 chores. He's certainly not perfect, but I'd seriously think he should practice more and get a little more coached up before replacing him with a guy like Swayze waters.... who is American.

Lirim is huge for this roster.

I think if we could just find a DT that could beat the double team... an American rush end that can rush the passer and defend the run, this defence will be dominant...

But we have to upgrade the offensive game plans to beat the blitz. In my opinion we have the best personel on offense we've had since 2007.

If we could just learn to beat the blitz and find a couple good DL and just play Veltung at Returner... this team would be pretty fantastic.

Don't agree that we have the best personnel offensively since 2007. Our OL isn't very good & they have to be included in the conversation.

Our OL has been crap since 2007...  that being said, this year's team is the same old same old - some great talent and some really glaring holes

Very much agree with this article. Those 2 long-range field goals were fantastic, live those were the longest I've ever seen. Punting was great to except for the one many of us focus on. Didn't the one coffin-corner result in a safety??

Bass is turning into a great find, and currently needs to be considered in rookie of the year discussions.

We can't completely change our offensive schemes at this point, so I agree we are stuck with our OC. But if things don't change, he needs to be dismissed at the end of the season. We know teams are going to blitz us, deal with it. So many people blame the o'line, but when they blitz with 7 against our 5 guys, what are they supposed to do??

Very much agree with this article. Those 2 long-range field goals were fantastic, live those were the longest I've ever seen. Punting was great to except for the one many of us focus on. Didn't the one coffin-corner result in a safety??

Bass is turning into a great find, and currently needs to be considered in rookie of the year discussions.

We can't completely change our offensive schemes at this point, so I agree we are stuck with our OC. But if things don't change, he needs to be dismissed at the end of the season. We know teams are going to blitz us, deal with it. So many people blame the o'line, but when they blitz with 7 against our 5 guys, what are they supposed to do??

a. block the inside guys so that the rush has to come form the outside

b. roll the pocket left or right

c. hit the hot pass routes

d. draw play up the middle

e. buy the QB a condolence card after apologizing profusely

f. get another QB onto the field after carting the previous one off

I think Brown said on the post game show the Argos figured out that Marve only escapes the pocket to the fright so they were looping guys around to get him. I think the Vega sack was a result of that.

Yeah, I would be scared behind that offensive line too.

I think man for man our OL is as good as 07. Difference is Doug Berry drawing up the schemes to Marcel B. Drawing up the schemes.

Our receivers are just as good as that year because IMO Milt was declining that year, only spot that might be worse is RB depending how you felt about Charlie that year. But Willy vs Glenn makes up for that.

Comparing 2007 to now:

Receivers: Milt, Edwards and Armstrong all over 1,000 yards that year. Franklin played the dependable NI role. Compared to what? An inconsistent Denmark, Nick Moore, who is productive but injury prone and Darvin Adams who was playing well but is hurt. Our receivers were better in 07.

Running back: Charlie Roberts had over 1300 yards rushing, over 350 receiving and 16 tds. That is light years ahead of Marshall/Cotton/Scott.

OL: Dan Goodspeed, Alex Gauthier (NI tackle), Picard, Sheridan, Val. St Germaine, Aaron Fiaconi, Kyle Koch versus now? Please.

2007 had more talent.

Yeah, Lirim needs to work on a few things.... but He's a Canadian that can do all 3 chores. He's certainly not perfect, but I'd seriously think he should practice more and get a little more coached up before replacing him with a guy like Swayze waters.... who is American.

Lirim is huge for this roster.

The RB's might be hot for Waters, they were using QB DeMarco as a punter last night.