U.S. Federal Election

5 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Id nail her. But I wouldn't vote for her. 

Good god man, come to your senses.  She's 50 something and has had 6 children!  She's held together by a raft of infrastructure designed by the Army Corps of Engineers to look good in one dimension on a flat screen.  The only nailing I'd like to do to her is to hammer the last nail in her coffin.

11 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Good god man, come to your senses.  She's 50 something and has had 6 children!  She's held together by a raft of infrastructure designed by the Army Corps of Engineers to look good in one dimension on a flat screen.  The only nailing I'd like to do to her is to hammer the last nail in her coffin.

More so for the curiosity and "sure, why not" aspect then that I find her super attractive or whatever.  She is attractive though.  Physically.  Her personality is a turn off.

Speaking of nails, she hammered the final one into John McCain's presidential hopes.  What a bonehead decision that was.

Trump still speaks for a large segment of the population and to dismiss that is make a foolish decision.  Unless he begins falling well off, the Republican's are going to have some tough decisions to make...

Good Gravy! I am loving this Republican race! I would LOVE a Trump/Palin ticket! 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/palin-trump-campaign-boag-1.3413174

Ted Cruz has tried awfully hard to be the best of Washington outsiders.

The Republican Senator from Texas, now presidential candidate, built his name on aggravating the party establishment when he led the politically disastrous government shutdown a couple of years ago.

Some of his colleagues hated him for that. Senator John McCain told Cruz: "Stop, you're wrong, you're crazy!"

But that was exactly what Cruz wanted to hear from a Washington insider like McCain. He liked being the bad boy, and he wore the insults proudly.

USA-ELECTION/CRUZ

U.S. Senator Ted Cruz greets audience members as he arrives for a campaign town hall in Exeter, N.H., on Wednesday. Outsider enough? (Brian Snyder/Reuters)

As the establishment grudgingly watched, Cruz quickly became the country's best-known Republican freshman on Capitol Hill.

Then, after only two years in the Senate, he launched his presidential campaign as a Christian conservative and — most important — Washington outsider.

For a while the plan unfolded as he'd hoped. Cruz slowly made his way to the front of the Republican race. But then Sarah Palin happened.

Palin has been hanging around the Republican race for months without making much noise.

When she popped up Tuesday, endorsing Donald Trump, the loud bang you heard was a Cruz balloon bursting.

Donald Trump Sarah Palin

Donald Trump calls Sarah Palin "a high quality person whom I have great respect for." (Mark Kauzlarich/Reuters)

She'd arrived to remind voters that no one knows better than she where "outside Washington" really is.

And apparently it's in Trumpville.

Paradoxically, Palin is a Washington insider's creation. McCain himself lifted her onto the national stage when he picked her as his running mate on the Republican presidential ticket in 2008.

The thought of a vice-president Sarah Palin just "one heartbeat away" from the nuclear launch codes made some Americans jumpy and helped Republicans lose the White House.

Many voters, however, were thrilled to discover she existed.

Since then, she has become a sort of socio-political inkblot test: tell me what you see, and I'll tell you who you are. That's because of moments such as this from the 2008 campaign:

Katie Couric, then anchor of CBS Evening News, asked Palin in an interview which newspapers and magazines she regularly read.

"I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media," said Palin.

"Specifically?" asked Couric, "I'm curious."

Name a few

"All of 'em. Any of 'em that have been in front of me over all these years," said Palin.

"Can you name a few?" Couric persisted.

"I have a vast variety of sources, where we get our news," said the former Alaska governor.

And then she decided she'd had enough.

"Alaska isn't a foreign country," she bristled. "It's kind of suggested it seems like, 'Wow! How could you keep in touch with [what] the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking and doing when you live up there in Alaska?'"

Some saw a candidate for high office struggling and failing to prove that she actually bothered to read the front page of a newspaper once in a while.

For them, Palin was a joke.

Others saw an unpretentious, folksy straight talker deftly shrugging off a "gotcha'" headlock from a smarty-pants, media diva.

'Talking yam'

For them Palin was a champion.

It seemed that to "get" her you had to understand what she was saying, and that was harder for some than for others.

That's happening again, as pundits and tweeters go over Palin's  performance endorsing Trump on Jan. 19. An "alliance between a vulgar talking yam and Princess Dumbass of the Northwoods," said one.

No one "gets it" like she does, said Donald Trump. More important, Trump knows that a lot of Iowa Republicans "get" her, too.

The notion that Palin gives Trump some extra bona fides as a conservative is probably beside the point.

True, she's strongly anti-abortion, and that has earned her enthusiastic and valuable approval from evangelicals, but voters likely know that neither Trump nor Palin is as hard-core conservative as Cruz.

Personal guarantee

What Republicans who "get" her like about Palin is the same thing they seem to like about Trump: Both howl that the country just doesn't work the way they believe it once did and still should.

It's the inner thing that swells up when Trump says, "What the hell is going on?"

Besides being a high-profile Republican woman, Palin brings to Trump's campaign her personal guarantee that he really is what he says he is.

Cruz can match the passion and the anger, but he's not as good with the magic Trump and Palin have for non-specific, open-ended language that connects to the angst of the low-information, middle-aged white people who are flocking to them.

"Are you ready to make America great again?" they ask, and it means whatever their audience wants it to mean.

She can pick a winner

At his core, Cruz is the guy who was studying Friedrich Hayek and Milton Friedman when he was just 13. He's the guy who eagerly dived into the weeds of "constitutional textualism" when he was at Princeton and Harvard universities.

Esoteric passions such as those would hardly feel like a shot of adrenalin to a Trump/Palin audience. More like a tranquillizer dart.

So Cruz could have really used Palin's support. And consequently, just by turning away from Cruz she's done plenty for Trump.

Plus, as one talking head on cable news said Tuesday night, Palin adds fun to a campaign that already looked like fun.

Or as Cruz said of Palin after she endorsed him for Senate in 2012, "She knows how to pick winners."

sure fanboy, the Republicans are amusing in a bizarre way, but You have to understand that most of the people running (either party) don't actually represent the average voter down there.  It's a cooperative effort. They all serve the banks, oil companies, 

the online retailers, Wall street corporations, big ag, big energy, all the rest of it, none of which enterprises give two hoots about what happens to the average joe.

Everything else is theatre.

These are the people that are passing trade agreements that destroy their own country, spend trillions on wars that have no purpose and no end, and supply lead laced water to poor people causing brain damage, to save a few pennies relatively speaking.

Maybe Sanders is genuine. Won't know if, and until he's elected. I'd be surprised if he is.

Edited by Mark F
sp

• 2 weeks later...

If Ted Cruz is the only option other than Trump, the US is ******

Oh and look what Duck Dynasty idiot surfaced too!

While stumping in Iowa for Ted Cruz on Sunday, “Duck Dynasty” star Phil Robertson declared that gay marriage is a sign of growing “depravity” and “perversion” in America.

Robertson, notorious for his racist and anti-gay remarks, said of marriage equality: “It is evil, it’s wicked, it’s sinful and they want us to swallow it.”

“We have to run this bunch out of Washington D.C.,” Robertson said. “We have to rid the earth of them. Get them out of there.”

Cruz followed Robertson on stage, calling the reality TV star “a joyful, cheerful, unapologetic voice of truth.”

In an interview with Fox News, also on Sunday, Robertson said that Ted Cruz “loves James Madison,” whom he claimed said that the U.S. is based “on the capacity of each of ourselves to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves based on the Ten Commandments of God.”

Robertson may want to brush up on his history, as the “Ten Commandments” quote he cites is actually fake.

Edited by The Unknown Poster

17 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I respect religious freedom and I believe in Christianity.  But its hard not to understand the perspective of non-Christians who see some of this stuff and think the religious right is as nutty as many claim the fundamentalists or extremists of other religions are.  A person running for President really needs to understand that they serve all American's regardless of religion.  They can be religious themselves, but it shouldn't define them as a leader and President. 

At this rate, Hilary is looking like a damn savior of US politics.

Keep talking, Duck Dynasty dude. Tell the 55% of Americans who support gay marriage exactly how you feel.

The dominionist wing of American politics, which Cruz represents, is a bunch of super creepy christo-fascists straight out of The Handmaid's Tale. 

I am not a big Hillary Clinton fan, she's a weathervane politician and her vote for the 2003 Iraq War is something I just can't get past, but if the choice is between her and Cruz you can be sure I will be sending money and support to HRC.

Edited by johnzo

22 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Forget Hilary- they NEED Bernie.

I have been studying Bernie's website on how he thinks he can raise the mega-billions he wants to get to pay for all of the great free stuff he wants to lavish on America's "middle-class" and I can't get his numbers to work.  For instance, unless I am reading it wrong, Bernie claims that he will be able to tax financial transactions at .5% and this will result in $125 billion in tax revenue.  Yet he states in his white paper that the value of the transactions he wants to tax is in the $25 billion per year range.  When I do the math I get $125 million, not billion.  But that doesn't really matter.  If Bernie thinks that he will be able to just pull $125 billion a year, somehow, out of America's financial markets, he's on crack.  And so are his followers.

I'm 100% in favor of a Rubio-Clinton face-off for the presidency.  And may the best man win. :)

I dont know much about Rubio so I googled a bit:

Rubio disputes the scientific understanding of climate change, arguing that human activity does not play a major role in global warming and that proposals to address climate change would be ineffective and economically harmful.[145][146] The website PolitiFact has said that Rubio "consistently either avoids the link between human activity and climate change, or outright denies it."[147]

His plan would remove the crude oil export ban, block the Environmental Protection Agency's Clean Power Plan for reducing carbon emissions which he says would result in the closure of coal-fired power plants, and transfer energy regulation to the states.[150]

Rubio has stated that he would cap government regulation on businesses. He has praised 'on-demand' businesses, such as Uber and AirBnB, as drivers of innovation that should be protected from government interference, and has criticized efforts by New York City to limit those businesses.

As part of the bipartisan "Gang of Eight" in the Senate, Rubio co-authored the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 to give illegal immigrants a pathway to legal status.

Rubio advocates for a more active presence of United States in the global affairs and "a robust American role in confronting" Iran, Russia and North Korea.

In 2010, he stated that radical Islamist terrorists pose the greatest threat to the United States, and that these radicals intend to impose their beliefs on the world. He voted "yes" on extending the roving wiretaps provision of the Patriot Act, which governs surveillance of suspected terrorists

Rubio favors the detention of terrorists at Guantanamo Bay so that they can be interrogated for intelligence purposes, and has stated that if necessary he would re-open the military prison there.[168]

Rubio identifies as pro-life, and opposes abortion, including in cases of rape and incest.

On March 14, 2013, Rubio reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage at the Conservative Political Action Conference, saying "that states should have the right to define marriage in the traditional way"

As of 2015, Rubio was given an A rating by the National Rifle Association (NRA) for his stance on gun control issues.[

Rubio supports continued criminal penalties for recreational cannabis use.

****Hmmmm I dont know....  I guess Im a Conservative who is flipping over to the darkside.  8 more years of Bill...ahem, Hilary please.

don't feel bad up, Bill and Hillary are right wing republicans in all but name.

Take a look at their records.

Bill deregulated the banks, which permitted the 2008 crash. Bill deregulated media, which resulted in media consolidation, Bill railroaded NAFTA through...

Bill and Hillary get paid hundreds of thousands for a single speech. By for instance big wall street firms. Hillary was interrupting stumping in Iowa to give speeches at meetings with banker/donors.  then goes and makes a speech to the peons, saying she's gonna go after the banks.... lol. She's got brass that's for sure.

Bill passed the three strike law, which was good for prison industrail complex, where a guy gets life for stealing a pack of cigarettes.

Bill changed welfare laws, threw many many people off of social assistance.

Both are right wing. so is the entire party they control.

* This coming september will be the 15th anniversary of the American invasion of Afghanistan. Obama, Democrat, made a speech not that long ago, saying he had ended the war... now....they are sending more soldiers. gonna be there for fifty years, if they have a country that long. which is looking iffy.

Edited by Mark F

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I dont know much about Rubio so I googled a bit:

Rubio disputes the scientific understanding of climate change, arguing that human activity does not play a major role in global warming and that proposals to address climate change would be ineffective and economically harmful.[145][146] The website PolitiFact has said that Rubio "consistently either avoids the link between human activity and climate change, or outright denies it."[147]

His plan would remove the crude oil export ban, block the Environmental Protection Agency's Clean Power Plan for reducing carbon emissions which he says would result in the closure of coal-fired power plants, and transfer energy regulation to the states.[150]

Rubio has stated that he would cap government regulation on businesses. He has praised 'on-demand' businesses, such as Uber and AirBnB, as drivers of innovation that should be protected from government interference, and has criticized efforts by New York City to limit those businesses.

As part of the bipartisan "Gang of Eight" in the Senate, Rubio co-authored the Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 to give illegal immigrants a pathway to legal status.

Rubio advocates for a more active presence of United States in the global affairs and "a robust American role in confronting" Iran, Russia and North Korea.

In 2010, he stated that radical Islamist terrorists pose the greatest threat to the United States, and that these radicals intend to impose their beliefs on the world. He voted "yes" on extending the roving wiretaps provision of the Patriot Act, which governs surveillance of suspected terrorists

Rubio favors the detention of terrorists at Guantanamo Bay so that they can be interrogated for intelligence purposes, and has stated that if necessary he would re-open the military prison there.[168]

Rubio identifies as pro-life, and opposes abortion, including in cases of rape and incest.

On March 14, 2013, Rubio reiterated his opposition to same-sex marriage at the Conservative Political Action Conference, saying "that states should have the right to define marriage in the traditional way"

As of 2015, Rubio was given an A rating by the National Rifle Association (NRA) for his stance on gun control issues.[

Rubio supports continued criminal penalties for recreational cannabis use.

****Hmmmm I dont know....  I guess Im a Conservative who is flipping over to the darkside.  8 more years of Bill...ahem, Hilary please.

I wish the Republicans would give up on the same sex marriage and abortion stuff.  They are so far behind the curve on those issues.

I've been trying for months to find a Republican candidate that at least in some way, shape or form spoke to my ideologies. Well, still trying!

The vast majority of the candidates are just (seemingly) so out to lunch. The environment, rights for ALL citizens, gun control, prison reform & non-violent criminals, military spending... I'm no conservative, so fully acknowledging there's some valid push back, but are those all not things that America needs to manage a LOT better?

- Humans do contribute to climate change. This just can't be disputed any more.... can it?

- Still completely baffles me (again, I'm 28 & Liberal for the record) how anyone has the right to tell gays they can't marry or a woman not to have an abortion.

- America has too many guns. Like, way too many. And they kill each other with them in astoundingly high numbers. As an observer, action would be a refreshing change. Instead, the country is more fearful. Not that someone on the street, or in the mall or at their school will gun them down BUT fearful that one day, a gun might just be a bit harder to purchase.

- Where does the private prison industry rank among America's biggest money-makers?  Last I had read it was right near the top. Prisons exist to make money first and to protect society second and rehabilitate offenders....112th. That and the fact you can still go to jail for 20 years for relatively minor drug crimes; insanity. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I look forward to hearing where I'm wrong and how my views will change as I get older ;)  Until then, I'll be quietly crossing my fingers that America is still standing 5 years from now. 

Climate change is a sticky one. I don't think its that people think humans arent a factor but there is a lot of space between humans are a factor and we habe to spend insane money and cripple business or else the earth will be uninhabitable in ten years.  Too many climate change lobby folk dont like to talk about the natural warming and cooling trends and how there are scientists who disagree with the popular theory. 

Abortion. I'm adopted and my bio parent was very young. I'm pro life. I just don't subscribe to the idea that a woman's rights always take precident. A baby's life should be a factor. 

Gay marriage. Well everyone knows my opinion there. 

Guns. I agree. Way too many. Simply no need to have a gun. Too many Americans take a prideful approach to their guns and interpret the constituion in a self serving way.  Yeah yeah people kill not guns.  But a person bursting into a school with a steak knife isn't going as far as someone with two semi auto rifles, three semi handguns and a couple of grenades. Common sense needs to prevail. But the gun lobby is strong. Very strong.