U.S. Federal Election

as long as the citizens are kept divided, and fighting over things that don't affect the way things are run for the benefit of those at the top, (things like gay marriage, promoting black/hispanic/white hatred, Isil, )

the voters are  too distracted  to notice/ the fleecing that their leaders are subjecting them to...... Allowing outright criminals to run banks, while it's jail for someone

caught stealing a sandwich. 

That's part of the reason for the carnival sideshow presented to the voters, and then "analyzed" with solemnity by the media. Just a distraction. a con man's trick.

gay marriage has no financial impact on anyone, except the hardship on lifelong gay people  athat can't get death benefits of their partner, that non gay people get.

corrupt politicians doing insider trading based on tips received in exchange for political favours,  bank fraud in the trillions, endless wars in the trillions, impact every single citizen financially.

can't have a decent country when you spend two trillion invading Iraq.

WASHINGTON -- Cable customers who are tired of paying through the nose to rent set-top boxes are about to see some serious savings, thanks to a new proposal from the Federal Communications Commission.

The new regulation would open up the set-top box market to consumer choice so that customers could rent or buy devices from providers other than their cable companies. About 99 percent of cable customers currently rent set-top boxes from their cable company. According to a survey commissioned by Sens. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.), cable customers pay an average of $232 a year for those rentals -- a $20 billion market annually, just for set-top box rentals.

Liberal senators have been pressuring the FCC to act on cable "monopolies" for months. In July, current Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) organized a letter calling on the agency to collect a host of consumer pricing information from cable companies -- a move designed to show that in many regions of the country, households pay arbitrarily high prices due to a lack of other cable options. Sens. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), Markey and Blumenthal all signed on to the letter.

scam.  it's ridiculous that you can't buy one of those things at best buy.

Edited by Mark F

• 2 weeks later...

Well there goes my pick!

Columbia, South Carolina (CNN)Haunted by his famous last name and perpetually stuck in the shadows of his anti-establishment rivals, Jeb Bush repeatedly confronted rejection by voters and frustrating setbacks throughout the 2016 presidential race.

In South Carolina Saturday night Bush suspended his White House campaign and acknowledged a painful reality: The country was not interested in a third President Bush.

On 2/5/2016 at 5:06 AM, Mark F said:

as long as the citizens are kept divided, and fighting over things that don't affect the way things are run for the benefit of those at the top, (things like gay marriage, promoting black/hispanic/white hatred, Isil, )

The latest thing is transphobia bathroom terror. A dozen American states, out of nowhere*, have suddenly awakened to this menace, labeled it the "War on Gender" and have advanced legislation preventing trans people from using the correct restroom.  My own state, Washington, had a bill in committee to prevent access to womens' washrooms by anyone who "possesses male anatomy or male 11  deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)." Like they're going to put TSA backscatter x-ray machines and DNA swabs in front of all restrooms in the state?  Idiots.

It's the politics of fear and division and it's one reason I'll never be a republican. When you punch down and bully people weaker than you in the service of your election prospects, you can go to hell.

* not nowhere, there's a bunch named ALEC that coordinates state-level legislation like this across conservative states.

Edited by johnzo

14 hours ago, johnzo said:

It's the politics of fear and division and it's one reason I'll never be a republican.

sure, but in the long run, there's actually only one party in the United states, the party of wall street. Not one prosecution under Obama, Democrat, of anyone for torure, for lying to congress, for committing massive fraud in the trillions.

Hillary Clinton, Democrat,  votes "yes" for war every chance she gets.

Johnzo I've been following the Malheur thing at an Oregon news site.... the Oregonian... pretty interesting. Latest.... some of the accused are puzzled by the difference between presumption of innocence, and risk of flight.   guffaw.  "constitutional law " experts.

Johnzo check this out

https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map

you're not too bad out where you are.

On 1/24/2016 at 1:00 PM, Taynted_Fayth said:
On 2/5/2016 at 5:06 AM, Mark F said:
22 hours ago, johnzo said:

The latest thing is transphobia bathroom terror. A dozen American states, out of nowhere*, have suddenly awakened to this menace, labeled it the "War on Gender" and have advanced legislation preventing trans people from using the correct restroom.  My own state, Washington, had a bill in committee to prevent access to womens' washrooms by anyone who "possesses male anatomy or male 11  deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA)." Like they're going to put TSA backscatter x-ray machines and DNA swabs in front of all restrooms in the state?  Idiots.

It's the politics of fear and division and it's one reason I'll never be a republican. When you punch down and bully people weaker than you in the service of your election prospects, you can go to hell.

* not nowhere, there's a bunch named ALEC that coordinates state-level legislation like this across conservative states.

Semi-automatic in a women's washroom, no problem, but bring in a penis and they freak.  The demise of American culture is upon us.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

23 hours ago, johnzo said:

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tim-tebow-fifth-most-popular-quarterback-according-to-poll-022316

I wasn't too alarmed about Trump, I figured his act would wear out and he'd go away. But maybe I was a little too sanguine about this because America's relationship with reality is clearly kinda strained at this point.

If he gets in OMFG. This is a guy who'll order nukes to clean out the Middle East or North Korea. Russia & China will be on High Alert.  I remember 1964 & how scared people were of Barry Goldwater. Lyndon Johnson's campaign ran a single ad showing a nuclear bomb exploding & asking if that is the kind of President people wanted & Goldwater lost.

When asked, "Do you think Ted Cruz is the Zodiac Killer?" by Public Policy Polling, 10 percent said yes and 28 percent weren't sure. The Zodiac Killer was active in 1968, and Cruz was born in 1970.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/is-ted-cruz-the-zodiac-killer-maybe-say-38-percent-of-florida-voters-20160226

On February 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM, iso_55 said:

If he gets in OMFG. This is a guy who'll order nukes to clean out the Middle East or North Korea. Russia & China will be on High Alert.  I remember 1964 & how scared people were of Barry Goldwater. Lyndon Johnson's campaign ran a single ad showing a nuclear bomb exploding & asking if that is the kind of President people wanted & Goldwater lost.

I'm not sure President Trump will do that. I'm not sure he could. In fact if he tried it may create a coup scenario where top military officials refuse to carry the orders. Not to mention congress won't go along. Trump could be impeached in his first term. But since he's a smart guy Id expect him, if he won, to drastically soften his rhetoric. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I'm not sure President Trump will do that. I'm not sure he could. In fact if he tried it may create a coup scenario where top military officials refuse to carry the orders. Not to mention congress won't go along. Trump could be impeached in his first term. But since he's a smart guy Id expect him, if he won, to drastically soften his rhetoric. 

What an *******. People are so stupid.

7 hours ago, iso_55 said:

What an *******. People are so stupid.

Is that directed at me? (You quoted my post).  Are you calling me an ******* for my post? lol  I didn't even really express an opinion (certainly not of Trump) other then simply theorizing that he wouldn't be able to blow up the world.

The President, as the most powerful man in the world, has less power and control over his nation than even the PM has of Canada.  The US has checks and balances.  No President since Truman has used Nukes.  The President is surrounded by advisors and administrators.  

When we disagree about policy, its within a reasonable framework of what a President can do.  I think where Trump would be potentially bad is in hurting relationships with other nations.  Sure he can do some stupid things like building walls and banning Muslims.  But odds are four years later every crazy thing he did would be reversed.

I think he would build the wall with Mexico.  I don't think he'd ban Muslims.  I think cooler heads would prevail.  I think he'd compromise by increasing security and vetting of Muslim immigrants.  He might direct federal law enforcement to work harder and digging into Muslim's and Mosques.  

The thing is, as many world leaders that are laughing or astonished right now, they'd all line up for their photo op with him. And he likely would be effective in some ways when it comes to negotiating certain things.  

But if he ever tried to do anything TOO insane, the backlash and resistance would overwhelm him.  If it came down to war, he needs Congress to authorize.  If it came down to the use of Nukes, he'd have resistance that might trigger a constitutional crises and his own removal from office.  Sure, he;d stack the cabinet with his own people but they will still be people with experience and not likely to be crazy.  And I believe it only takes a 2/3 majority of cabinet to declare the President unfit and remove him.