U.S. Federal Election

Started a new thread as Im sure we will have plenty to discuss over the next year +

CNN.com

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump has a significant lead in the race to win over likely Iowa caucus-goers, according to the first CNN/ORC poll in the state this cycle.

Trump tops the field with 22% and is the candidate seen as best able to handle top issues including the economy, illegal immigration and terrorism. He's most cited as the one with the best chance of winning the general election, and, by a wide margin, as the candidate most likely to change the way things work in Washington.

I think people are tired of career politicians down there. Who say dont speak there mind and read off scripts. What Trump says, as blunt as it is, is what he really means and will do.

People do get caught up in the bombastic way Trump speaks but stripping away the obnoxiousness, he makes a lot of good points.  However it *is* fair to judge him on his behavior as character, diplomacy, good judgement are all important aspects of the job.  It will be interesting to see, as we get closer, whether Trump's support is real or if people are just flirting with the "popular", controversial, anti-establishment choice.  They might say "okay, now lets get serious" and pick someone else.

The Republican's have a huge issue though.  If Trump continues to lead by the convention, and they dont choose him, he risks running as an Independent and that hands the election to the Democrats.  Some accuse Trump of planning all this for the purpose of helping Hilary win.

I have a feeling when the time is right, Trump will bow out and endorse the "right" candidate.  Just a hunch because I cant imagine a real US election with Trump as the nominee, as exciting as it would be.

I still say Jeb vs Hilary.

My suspicion is that the vast majority of the 78% who don't support Trump currently will not migrate to him as their candidates fall, and so he won't come anywhere near the GOP nomination.

A third party run from him would be hilarious. Bring it on. A Trump schism would look as good on the Republicans as an 0-18 season would look on the Roughriders.

From CNN, Trump outlines Immigration plan.  This is interesting because it's really the major issue that he's embraced that has seen him surge ahead of his competitors.

Trump's immigration plan is based on three core principles: that the U.S. must build a wall across the U.S.-Mexico border, that immigration laws must be fully enforced and that "any immigration plan must improve jobs, wages and security for all Americans."

Trump calls for requiring a nationwide system to verify workers' legal status, tripling the number of immigrations and customs enforcement agents and implementing a tracking system to identify people who overstay their visas.

But Trump's plans take a hardline approach in his vow to reverse a U.S. law that grants American citizenship to any child born in the United States, regardless of whether the child's parents are undocumented immigrants.

He also calls for suspending the issuance of any new green cards, writing, "there will be a pause where employers will have to hire from the domestic pool of unemployed immigrant and native workers."

"The executive order gets rescinded," Trump said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," of President Barack Obama's executive order allowing dreamers to remain in the U.S.

"We have to keep the families together, but they have to go," he told NBC.

If Mexico refuses to pay for the wall, a Trump administration would begin charging additional fees to Mexicans who come into the U.S. on visas or with border crossing cars -- particularly for visas to "Mexican CEOs and diplomats," which Trump would cancel "if necessary." Trump's plan also calls for possible tariffs and foreign aid cuts and would seize "all remittance payments derived from illegal wages."

My suspicion is that the vast majority of the 78% who don't support Trump currently will not migrate to him as their candidates fall, and so he won't come anywhere near the GOP nomination.

A third party run from him would be hilarious. Bring it on. A Trump schism would look as good on the Republicans as an 0-18 season would look on the Roughriders.

or as good as the schism in 2000 between the Dummocrats Al Gore and Ralph Nader.

I don't wanna know the type of people who think what Trump is saying...

You know them.  Millions upon millions of average people in North America.  He's leading in the polls.

What do you take issue with?

He's tough on immigration which it seems the majority of American's agree with.  He's tough on Iran which most Americans agree with and even many of Obama's own Democrats.

He's flat out admitted that politicians can be bought and explained that he has donated to many politicians of both parties because when he calls, they answer.

I think his immigration plan is interesting.  Most people are conditioned to think a wall is bad.  They prefer to call it a fence.  Sounds nicer.  The point is the same - keep illegals out.  If people want to enter the US, they should do so legally.

The issue of the Dreamers is a tough one but Im not sure I can really fault the idea that if you came here illegally and had a child with the intent of using the citizenship of that child to stay, that you should by-pass the law.

Illegals working off the books is, I would presume, an issue for lower-income Americans and impacts the economy. 

Im no expert but his plan clearly speaks to a lot of people and I dont find it particularly zany or racist.

What, like rounding up illegal aliens?

I'm cool with that. If you're not paying taxes, I want you to.

Trying to stop illegal aliens is one thing, calling them all a bunch of drug lords and rapists is quite another though.

Sure he can be obnoxious. And a lot of rhetoric. But why issue do you have with his plan?

What, like rounding up illegal aliens?

I'm cool with that. If you're not paying taxes, I want you to.

Trying to stop illegal aliens is one thing, calling them all a bunch of drug lords and rapists is quite another though.

Sure he can be obnoxious. And a lot of rhetoric. But why issue do you have with his plan?

You don't see a difference between "I want to stop illegal immgration because it's a drain on the system" and "I want to keep this criminal scum out of our country"?

That makes all the difference in the world to me. One person is a sensationalistic bigot, the other is simply trying to enact sensible strategies. 

LOL. This is 'Merica man. Most people there are sick of the illegal immigrants. Seriously, My sisters husbands family lives in the states... It's a lot different than it is here... They ain't too far down south either, Nebraska actually... People are sick of immigrants taking jobs from them, why? cuz they will work for less. 

Trump may be obnoxious and sometimes says things that might make the average canadian pissed off but reality is... what he is saying is what lots of americans are saying too.

Yup, obnoxious for sure but... speaking the truth to a lot of people. Lots. 

I'd love to see him win only because it would be quite entertaining, i think actually i know americans are sick of career politicians.. Hillary,Jeb, whoever.. it's all the same.. they are career politicians and americans are sick of them, they want legit change and the only guy out there so far willing to bring that change is trump.. He may say somethings that i find a little too much but the fact truly is... he is saying what tons upon tons, millions upon millions upon millions of americans are saying..

He called immigrants criminals and drug lords? Why should he care what they think really... they can't vote. 

Can make jokes and post pics all you want but... it's how lots of americans think. 

That's sort of the point actually... they think that, and it's part scary and part sad that they actually believe it. Mexicans do the jobs in the states that the average american just won't do because it's beneath them so the whole they took our jobs thing is just crap to begin with. It's exactly the same as people here saying that temporary foreign workers are taking all the jobs. Not true. No one wants to work at Tim Hortons and no contrary to popular belief they won't raise the wages they pay if they didn't have TFWs. 

I'll be totally honest tho here... I could care less who wins the election in the states. It's interesting for maybe a week or 2 and then you realize, well they are just the same as everyone else. Trump can say what he wants really, part of me thinks he is there to just rile people up, dude is old, very old, i don't see him winning but... really what probably would happen if he won is NOTHING. 

Just like Obama promised change, Trump is doing the same and years later, here we are all over again. It's a cycle of bs over and over and over again. 

The difficulty with American politics is that there are checks and balances to prevent one branch of the executive from having too much power. You get a Democrat as president but the Senate is still Republican well there won't be any change because it's at an impasse. In theory it's good that you don't have a dictatorial system of governing, but on the other hand it can make actually doing anything hard. 

People ***** about majority governments in Canada being able to do whatever they want, but I honestly prefer that system because there's no ambiguity about anything. Government does stupid **** there's no one to hide behind and the voters can toss them out on their asses. 

In a newspaper op-ed, Peter Morici, an economist at the University of Maryland, faulted loose immigration policies for what he called the economy’s "lackluster performance." Morici cited a number of factors, including this striking statement about immigrants.

"(They) have captured all of the nearly 9 million jobs created since 2000," Morici wrote. "Illegal immigrants hold many of these positions, and now the president threatens to legalize their status by executive action if the Republican Congress won't cave to his demands."

Professor Morici is not Left or right wing.

article analyzes his position says he's wrong. beats me whose right.

The American chamber of commerce loves granting rights to illegal immigrants. 

agree with Goalie, on issues like gay rights, the two American parties are different. On economic issues, issues concerning foreign wars, invasions, and such, they are identical.

Rather than Arnold I would like to see President Megan Fox.