Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

I actually think there is a right wing media spin. The major outlets are nice and objective, with the exception of cbc. Sun media is a pretty offensive right wing shill and despite some not knowing what left wing is, the left wing equivalent of sun media isn't ctv or the globe. It's some granola university radio station that isn't national representation. Cbc isn't even at the same left wing level that sun media is to the right.

If thats a major issue this election, we've run out of issues.  I think Trudeau having nary a clue as to the cost of his promises would mean more to Canadians than a minor pissing contest over charity donations between a political party and a few private citizens who are clearly not conservative supporters.

In the articles I read I didn't see anything to indicate there is any truth to this.

THE GLOBE'S ELECTION FORECAST

Liberals closing gap, but NDP and Conservatives still on top

Our election forecast, based on recent polls and historical data, projects the likelihood that a given party would win the most seats, if an election were held today. Our algorithm was designed in consultation with political scientist Paul Fairie (read more about how it works). This page will be updated frequently with new polls. Scroll down to explore the data.

Last updated: Thursday, Sept. 22, 2015

If the election happened today, there is a ...

39%

chance that the Conservatives get the most seats

41%

chance that the NDP gets the most seats

23%

chance that the Liberals gets the most seats

21%

chance that the Green party gets more than one seat

18%

chance that all three main parties at 100 seats or more

1%

chance that any party gets a majority

Using it for votes is slimy, but donating to charity? There's worse things the government spends money on. 

I hate that line. Government has spent money on some pretty terrible stuff, so nearly anything can be justified this way.

I don't see it as justification, I see it as simply putting things into context.

In the interest of fairness wasn't that line about "YOU WILL NOT FEEL SAFE IN YOUR BEDROOMS" Something that actually came from the nutter ISIS types? I seem to recall reading that and laughing about it. The only real story here is that they've grasped onto that line to start their fear mongering. The article kind of makes it sound like the Conservatives just came up with that on their own. 

Income Splitting is just the small c conservative way of keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. I'm certainly no women's lib zealot, but I can't stand that kind of backwards thinking. There shouldn't be a special tax break to let women sit at home.

Are you for real? I sure hope not.

Rebel blogger eh - I could think of some 'choicer' adjectives.

The refugee crisis is a side show? Maybe the rebel blogger should move there - and then decide.

Harper will reduce the size of government? In which universe? We've been hearing that promise since '06 - it hasn't happened.

The best Harper will do is win a minority. That's clear - and the reasons are well founded.

The refugee crisis is a sideshow. Politics getting in the way of common sense. Let's let in hundreds of thousands of unscreened people into your country. What kind of drugs does it take to make that good policy? I applaud Harper and most of Eastern Europe's leaders in their measured response.

Harper will win at least a minority. Because Canadians aren't foolish enough to give the keys to Mulcair.......oh God I hope lol

Income Splitting is just the small c conservative way of keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. I'm certainly no women's lib zealot, but I can't stand that kind of backwards thinking. There shouldn't be a special tax break to let women sit at home.

Income splitting seems like a common sense thing to me.  And if those that can afford it choose to have one parent (doesnt have to be the woman) stay home full or part time to raise children, I see no problem with that...thats a good thing. 

Income splitting seems like a common sense thing to me. And if those that can afford it choose to have one parent (doesnt have to be the woman) stay home full or part time to raise children, I see no problem with that...thats a good thing.

I think anything that might encourage or enable a parent (either one) to stay at home with the kids is good policy. We need more parent control over their own children.

Freep:

If you needed evidence the Conservative Party is worried about the federal election campaign, you got it this week in Manitoba.

Making a rare second stop in Manitoba, Conservative Leader Stephen Harper stunned observers on Tuesday by announcing a Tory government would, if re-elected, negotiate a settlement with First Nations to develop the former Kapyong Barracks land in southwest Winnipeg.

The former Kapyong Barracks sits on 100 acres of prime real estate along Kenaston Boulevard in Tuxedo.

PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS FILES

The former Kapyong Barracks sits on 100 acres of prime real estate along Kenaston Boulevard in Tuxedo. Photo Store

National Defence abandoned the Kapyong site nearly 14 years ago, moving military personnel to Shilo, near Brandon. A group of First Nations from southern Manitoba immediately expressed interest in acquiring the land with Treaty Land Entitlement monies. Federal legislation allows First Nations to get a first shot at acquiring surplus federal lands.

However, since the First Nations stepped forward to make a claim on the Kapyong lands, the Conservative government has used every political and legal tool at its disposal to keep the land in limbo.

Harper’s announcement is the equivalent of a blink, a gesture that reveals just how concerned the Conservatives are about the way things are shaping up in the election campaign.

The consensus going into this election was that to win, all Harper had to do was campaign on pledges and policies that resonated with the core of his support. The Tory core has long been considered to be slightly larger, and profoundly more committed, than the core of support for the NDP and Liberals. With the opposition parties at risk of splitting the centre-left vote, Conservatives believed there was virtually no chance they could lose the election.

However, a series of campaign missteps have threatened to weaken the foundation of the once-dominant Tory base. The most impactful of these has been the very ugly, very public trial of Tory Sen. Mike Duffy on fraud and bribery charges.

The trial provided a daily gutting of the innermost workings of the Prime Minister’s Office, the details of which dominated news in the first month of the election campaign. The testimony revealed a government rife with partisan manipulation. The exhibition of all that dirty laundry coincided with a very modest, but very significant, decline in support for the Tories nationally.

The politics of the Kapyong decision, as expressed by Harper, is extremely complex for the Conservatives. There is little doubt that all of the foot-dragging and legal wrangling that Ottawa engineered on this file was a direct reflection of the distaste Tories had for the idea of First Nations owning some of the toniest real estate in Winnipeg. Land that was located smack-dab in the middle of a Tory-held riding -- Winnipeg South Centre.

Doing everything they could to frustrate the First Nations trying to acquire the Kapyong lands was, to put it bluntly, a real winner for the Conservative base. Tory insiders have long confirmed that regardless of the right and wrong of the issue, the Conservative base does not like the idea of "urban reserves" being developed in non-aboriginal communities.

It mattered little to the core of the Tory base that there are successful First Nation urban reserves all over Western Canada that demonstrate the net benefit they can be to local economies. Or, that the First Nations interested in the Kapyong lands have indicated that they are looking to establish high-value, high-yield real estate developments, exactly what any private owner would seek.

Although their tactics may have infuriated First Nations and core supporters of other parties, it was an effective dog whistle for the Tory base, many of whom had ugly and ill-informed images of VLT lounges and gas bars dancing in their heads.

All that makes Harper’s decision to relent on Kapyong very intriguing.

This is not going to be popular with hardcore Tory voters but the strategy behind Harper’s decision seems fairly simple: use this change in position to appeal to some soft Conservative supporters who either don’t care who owns and develops Kapyong, or who think urban reserves are not all that scary.

With some national polls showing the Conservatives slipping into third place, Harper is now forced to wager that he can compromise on core policies enough to retain his hardcore base and win back some soft support. The simple fact is that there are no longer enough hardline conservatives left to propel the Tories to power.

However, Harper is running the risk that these gestures, coming very late in a very long campaign, will fail to win back soft support. Even worse, that core supporters – voters who would not vote NDP or Liberal under any circumstances – will look at moves like this and decide not to vote at all on October 19.

No matter how you look at it, this is a desperate play late in a campaign that has not gone according to plan. So desperate, in fact, that Harper is now going to his base and asking them to compromise on issues and policies that strike deep at the heart of what they hold dear.

There are instances in politics where desperation can produce results. Most time, however, it’s a last-gasp strategy for a politician who has suddenly realized the jig is up.

dan.lett@freepress.mb.ca

Income splitting seems like a common sense thing to me. And if those that can afford it choose to have one parent (doesnt have to be the woman) stay home full or part time to raise children, I see no problem with that...thats a good thing.

I think anything that might encourage or enable a parent (either one) to stay at home with the kids is good policy. We need more parent control over their own children.

I just vehemently disagree with this thinking....so we're going to have to agree to disagree. 

I don't think the Kapyong thing is close to being finished.  The only thing the court case managed to do was confirm the Feds did not consult with 1st Nations on the sale of the land.  There is no guarantee that the land will go to them, just that they get a chance to negotiate a deal.  If the government decides to go with a different deal, I can easily see this ending back in court.  The 1st time it was we  weren't consulted at all, the next time it will be we weren't consulted fairly/properly.  I haven't seen anything that clarifies what the "consult" entails so the 2 parties could have vastly different expectations.

I just vehemently disagree with this thinking....so we're going to have to agree to disagree. 

You disagree with more parent control over their children?

I see it as an issue like this.  If two parents cant afford to have one stay home, they will probably complain.  "What about me?"  But to me, the idea of "household" income for married couples is a no-brainer.  Im common-law and I hate the distinction.  But the government tells me Im married whether I like it or not.  I just think the idea of a combined income is reasonable and makes sense in keeping with how most couples generally behave (ie. they dont make a big distinction between each other's income).

And I think most people would agree that children being raised by their parents as opposed to spending most of their time in day-care is a good thing.  I have no issue with parents who both work.  Its needed in many cases.  But surely we agree that a child having at least one parent around 100% of the time is the ideal.

I don't think the Kapyong thing is close to being finished.  The only thing the court case managed to do was confirm the Feds did not consult with 1st Nations on the sale of the land.  There is no guarantee that the land will go to them, just that they get a chance to negotiate a deal.  If the government decides to go with a different deal, I can easily see this ending back in court.  The 1st time it was we  weren't consulted at all, the next time it will be we weren't consulted fairly/properly.  I haven't seen anything that clarifies what the "consult" entails so the 2 parties could have vastly different expectations.

Im sure I saw it mentioned that they were already deep in negotiations and an agreement was likely forthcoming shortly.  Its a good thing for everyone.  I dont necessarily agree that the First Nations should get dibs but if it means the area is developed properly, increases "tax" revenue to the city and allows for the widening of Kenaston, I say get on with it.

Yes, there were negotiations happening, even while the court case was active.  The 1st Nations have been given an offer according to one of the chiefs involved (Dennis Meeches from Long Plain) but they don't trust the Feds and have concerns the whole thing will fall apart.

Yes, there were negotiations happening, even while the court case was active.  The 1st Nations have been given an offer according to one of the chiefs involved (Dennis Meeches from Long Plain) but they don't trust the Feds and have concerns the whole thing will fall apart.

Then they should sign the deal while the timing is right!