Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Whether what's said is true or not, it's almost always a death sentence for a politician to say anything bad about Jews or Israel.

Politicians really shouldn't be saying anything bad about any race or culture. Not sure why some consider Jews fair game.

Jews are fair game a lot of the time.  Its very political.  Conservatives come out in strong support of Israel so the opposition takes the opposing view point.  Very unsettling.  Discussed this with a friend last night in face, and one of her issues with the Cons was support of Israel.  I said why and she actually said she supports Palestine.  I said Im troubled by that and she said well Im troubled by your support of Israel.

There's criticism that can be leveled on both sides but goodness...Israel as the bad guys in the Middle East? 

I'm actually a bit tired tired of all of these resignations. People do silly things all the time and that doesn't mean they can't do the job. People have different views and that doesn't mean they can't do the job. Very few of these resignations have been necessary. I understand them, but wish they didn't happen. If you are not voting for one person or one party because of one issue, then you are missing the big picture. If they didn't commit a crime, let it go.

I'm actually a bit tired tired of all of these resignations. People do silly things all the time and that doesn't mean they can't do the job. People have different views and that doesn't mean they can't do the job. Very few of these resignations have been necessary. I understand them, but wish they didn't happen. If you are not voting for one person or one party because of one issue, then you are missing the big picture. If they didn't commit a crime, let it go.

Realistically, you're right.  Let the people decide.  They arent really resignations.  They are firings dressed up like resignations.  The problem is, if you force your candidate to quit over stupid remarks, the discussion ends.  if you let him/her continue, you can be dogged with those remarks and the idea that they represent the ideology of the party.

For example, Mulcair was asked about Pat Martin and he joked about it.  That might not matter to most of Canada but it will play here and people will question the NDP to a degree.  Its a character and maturity and behavior issue.

On one hand we can say 'well gee we were all young and stupid once, so what if someone said something goofy on twitter six years ago'.  On the other hand, if a candidate isnt smart enough to cleanse their social media, its a measurement of smarts and/or judgement on their part.  And it really goes to the greater issue of young people who treat social media like its a private conversation between friends.  Facebook hurts my brain many days reading everything from racist posts to just barely intelligible ramblings and excessive F bombs etc, people have Albums called "Random Drunk Pictures".  Just stupid stuff.

The first thing a lot of companies do when they hire is look at your Facebook.  Running for office is no different.

CTV overnighter has LIB 32  --  NDP 31  --  CON 29

....Gonna be tight, right down to the wire.....

I cant comment on the debate because I didnt watch.  I did see some people very upset with Mulcair for allegedly straight out lying though.  Might see the Liberals and NDP go after each other more viciously to try and woo the undecided.

If the Cons can continue to creep up (this over night poll notwithstanding), they will begin to talk about a majority being good for the country.  Mulcair might have hurt himself by essentially being agreeable to a coalition especially with Trudeau not being interested.

CTV overnighter has LIB 32  --  NDP 31  --  CON 29

After the Civic election i dont quite trust polls as much.

Well the polls thus far have said it's pretty much a 3 way tie so anything can happen. I'd trust that to be honest. Chances are between now and election day there is going to be one thing that is the tipping point giving a party the win. 

Realistically, you're right.  Let the people decide.  They arent really resignations.  They are firings dressed up like resignations.  The problem is, if you force your candidate to quit over stupid remarks, the discussion ends.  if you let him/her continue, you can be dogged with those remarks and the idea that they represent the ideology of the party.

For example, Mulcair was asked about Pat Martin and he joked about it.  That might not matter to most of Canada but it will play here and people will question the NDP to a degree.  Its a character and maturity and behavior issue.

On one hand we can say 'well gee we were all young and stupid once, so what if someone said something goofy on twitter six years ago'.  On the other hand, if a candidate isnt smart enough to cleanse their social media, its a measurement of smarts and/or judgement on their part.  And it really goes to the greater issue of young people who treat social media like its a private conversation between friends.  Facebook hurts my brain many days reading everything from racist posts to just barely intelligible ramblings and excessive F bombs etc, people have Albums called "Random Drunk Pictures".  Just stupid stuff.

The first thing a lot of companies do when they hire is look at your Facebook.  Running for office is no different.

I understand that. It all start when someone does something stupid, then the other parties start calling for resignations. Then when their candidates do something stupid, they have to force a resignation or else they are hypocrites. The circle continues.

I suppose it annoys me when it turns from do something stupid (pee in a cup) to having an unpopular opinion (pro-life, or this latest one by the NDP guy) All of a sudden am I not suppose to vote for Professor Popsicle because I disagree with one thing he says?

CTV overnighter has LIB 32 -- NDP 31 -- CON 29

Well the polls thus far have said it's pretty much a 3 way tie so anything can happen. I'd trust that to be honest. Chances are between now and election day there is going to be one thing that is the tipping point giving a party the win.

The 2011 majority was not predicted by the polls

I like Gilles Duceppe, if I was a Quebecer I would be glad he was the guy representing us.

I'm thinking of starting a political party called the North West Party.  It will be primarily like the BQ but for BC, AB, SK, MB, and the territories.  Do you think people will buy in?  I will of course be the leader due to my good looks, charm, wit, and overall good judgment.

Gee I wonder why. No media bias though

But wait! There goes another NDP'er

@OutlawTory: NDP candidate Stefan Jonasson disfavourably compares Jews to the Taliban. Yikes. Someone's done. http://t.co/4gVvkA45sG#CdnPoli #Elxn42

One Con candidate wants to end the separation of Church and state. Another said abortion is worse than the Holocaust. We could do this all day with crazy candidates.

He said more lives were ended than during the holocaust, which is true if you count a fetus as a life.

I like Gilles Duceppe, if I was a Quebecer I would be glad he was the guy representing us.

I'm thinking of starting a political party called the North West Party.  It will be primarily like the BQ but for BC, AB, SK, MB, and the territories.  Do you think people will buy in?  I will of course be the leader due to my good looks, charm, wit, and overall good judgment.

Refoooooooorrrrrrmmmmmmmmm!!!!

CTV overnighter has LIB 32 -- NDP 31 -- CON 29

The 2011 majority was not predicted by the polls

Polls swung pretty widely in the month leading up to election day with Cons swinging between 33 and 40+.  The day before the election several polls were different.  EKOS was the least accurate.  NANOS was the most accurate but still under-predicted the Conservative majority (although within their margin of error)

he's not awful but any party that has separatism as an official policy should be disqualified.  And they should also F off.

Ah yes, we've already done this with Preston Manning and Stockwell Day.  Well back to the drawing board.

The Conservatives are promising a four-year "tax lock" law if re-elected on Oct. 19.

Speaking in Rivière-du-Loup, Que., Conservative Leader Stephen Harper revealed the plan to prohibit increases to federal income tax, sales tax and what he calls "discretionary payroll taxes," such as employment insura

I can get on board with that

The Conservatives are promising a four-year "tax lock" law if re-elected on Oct. 19.

Speaking in Rivière-du-Loup, Que., Conservative Leader Stephen Harper revealed the plan to prohibit increases to federal income tax, sales tax and what he calls "discretionary payroll taxes," such as employment insura

I can get on board with that

Yeah its really optics but its not a bad strategy and it does play to the basic sense of most Canadians.  There would be no consequences for violating it but future governments would have to repeal the law if they intend to raise taxes.  So in essence what the NDP in Manitoba did.  Its an extra step of a government having to change laws so they can raise taxes.