Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

..and they've been trying to make the case that Trudeau is too young, because he looks about 20 years younger than both Harper and Mulcair. That's why Harper's been referring to him strictly as "Justin", and not "Mr Trudeau"...they want to make him out to be a kid, like Bieber.

They think the Liberals are a bigger threat than the NDP

Wow, are they out to lunch. And we talk about defensive & offensive coordinators not being able to adjust in just a football game. This  is a federal election & the Conservatives are dropping the ball. 

Im no political expert.  But it might not be based on public polls but on the seat race.  They might see the Liberals as bigger threats in key ridings whereas the seats the NDP will win, they will win.  Even in polling where the NDP was ahead, some polls shows seat predictions with the Cons well in front of the NDP.

And it might also be that they see Justin's best attribute his charisma whereas they think voters will turn away from Mulcair for his plan.

Or...maybe they feel there is a lot of undecided around that center position and feel the Liberals are more likely to get them than the NDP so they go after Justin as a way to sway undecided back to them (Cons).

Harper is going to lose this election... I just can't see him winning. Lots of flubs & errors. 

I he might lose.  But I dont think there has been a lot of flubs and erros.  I think they've been fairly consistent.  If anything I think they were pretty wise (if it was calculated) to let the opposition go after him on the economy and then come out with the surplus.  That, to me, framed the economy debate (which seems to be the main issue) as one party in surplus vs one party who promises deficits vs one party that promises the moon and is prone to tax hikes.  It was a win for the Cons in that regard.

Likely a minority either way.  It wouldnt surprise me to see the "change is good" people result in a surprising low amount of votes for the Cons.  It would also not surprise me to see the NDP fall short of their polling as people think twice in the voting booth (much like the 'secret agenda' caused people to think twice before the Cons first came to power).  Nothing would surprise me really.

Im no political expert.  But it might not be based on public polls but on the seat race.  They might see the Liberals as bigger threats in key ridings whereas the seats the NDP will win, they will win.  Even in polling where the NDP was ahead, some polls shows seat predictions with the Cons well in front of the NDP.

And it might also be that they see Justin's best attribute his charisma whereas they think voters will turn away from Mulcair for his plan.

Or...maybe they feel there is a lot of undecided around that center position and feel the Liberals are more likely to get them than the NDP so they go after Justin as a way to sway undecided back to them (Cons).

You're so in the bag for the Conservative's you've even taken up their election strategies.

..and they've been trying to make the case that Trudeau is too young, because he looks about 20 years younger than both Harper and Mulcair. That's why Harper's been referring to him strictly as "Justin", and not "Mr Trudeau"...they want to make him out to be a kid, like Bieber.

I think it might have to do with his last name more than making him sound like a kid.  It also might be a psychological thing.  For example, I saw a point made online about why Harper isnt addressed as "Prime Minister"...well probably because if you address him that way, it enters the minds of voters to equate "Prime Minister" with Harper (even though its accurate).  So in a way its a disrespectful way to address JT without being really disrespectful.  If you're voting for PM, you probably want a "statesman" not your buddy Justin from down the street.

Wow, are they out to lunch. And we talk about defensive & offensive coordinators not being able to adjust in just a football game. This  is a federal election & the Conservatives are dropping the ball. 

Yeah, who knows? I just think calling an election during the August long weekend as well as during the middle of the Mike Duffy Trial was beyond stupid. Especially now that the trial has been adjourned to the New Year. It was either smugness, stupidity & over confidence. Probably all of that & more. 

Trudeau: 43

Harper: 56

Mulclair: 60

According to Con logic, we should all vote NDP. Just sick and tired of this 3rd grade logic they keep throwing at us.

If the debate is experience its not so much age thats the issue.  I think that's readily apparent.  Wasnt Harper 46 when he became PM, probably 44-ish or so when he became leader (if not younger) so he equates to Justin on age.  Its the experience.  Harper had far more experience.  And Mulcair does too

There's enough "ABC" or "ABH" voters out there that I think we'll see change, but I'm not sure there's enough people scared enough to vote NDP. They might just stay in the safe middle ground and vote in a Lib minority for the sake of change, but, y'know, not TOO much change...

Just a gut feeling anyhow.

Yeah, who knows? I just think calling an election during the August long weekend as well as during the middle of the Mike Duffy Trial was beyond stupid. Especially now that the trial has been adjourned to the New Year. It was either smugness, stupidity & over confidence. Probably all of that & more. 

I dont know what the reason was to call the election during the Duffy trial but since they did it and they arent stupid, they had their reasons.  I think it might have been to get all the focus and questions out of the way early.  It was easy to say "out of respect for the justice system we cannot comment on an on-going trial".  Then it adjourns and its old news because the media and opposition have exhausted themselves on the subject.

If the trend continues and the Cons slowly creep up in polls, their strategy might end up being considered brilliant in retrospect.  They also allowed plenty of time for the Liberals and NDP to hammer the Cons on the economy.  Keep in mind, they called the election just as Canada was about to slip into an "official" recession.  Cons let themselves get hammered on it...made economy the main topic.  Let the opposition frame this election as "who do you trust to manage the economy" and then Cons post a surplus.  Boom. 

If that was the plan, it was smart.  it worked too.  We'll see if it sticks though.  I really cant say any momentum will stick at this point.

I think it might have to do with his last name more than making him sound like a kid.  It also might be a psychological thing.  For example, I saw a point made online about why Harper isnt addressed as "Prime Minister"...well probably because if you address him that way, it enters the minds of voters to equate "Prime Minister" with Harper (even though its accurate).  So in a way its a disrespectful way to address JT without being really disrespectful.  If you're voting for PM, you probably want a "statesman" not your buddy Justin from down the street.

Obama didn't know where half the countries of the world were located on an atlas. I doubt if  George W Bush did or Ronald Reagan did either before they took office. Reagan was a Hollywood actor before entering politics. What real job experience did Harper have before he became a politician? Worked awhile for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation? A policy wonk in university? In on the ground floor with the Reform Party? A sitting MP? To me, that sounds like Harper wasn't ready either when he became PM. Every leader of a country has to learn... The job itself teaches them. 

I think it's a good possibility we end up with a Conservative minority, which will give us countless ominous threats from them about how the Liberals and NDP are plotting against Harper to form a coalition and destroy our country. This is clearly the worst thing ever, even though our form of government allows for it.

Not so much a threat since it almost happened in the recent past.  And while the form of government allows it, its not what the voters intended and I would argue its not what voters would want.  Even if people flip flop based on "their guy" benefiting from a coalition, we've had this tradition of government long enough that people expect that the party with the most seats forms government and if you dont like it, you try to get the most seats next time...not suddenly pal around with people you told us we should never vote for to become the governing power.

I wouldnt support a coalition even if it was the Cons benefiting.  Its shady.

According to Con logic, we should all vote NDP. Just sick and tired of this 3rd grade logic they keep throwing at us.

If the debate is experience its not so much age thats the issue.  I think that's readily apparent.  Wasnt Harper 46 when he became PM, probably 44-ish or so when he became leader (if not younger) so he equates to Justin on age.  Its the experience.  Harper had far more experience.  And Mulcair does too

What experience? how does sitting in the H of C give you experience? Ask Rob Anders. None of these 2 guys are ready. Harper wasn't ready when he took office. There's no job experience to help you learn to be a leader of a country. 

Bernardo who was also convicted of other rapes & his wife Karla Homolka who is now free under an assumed name. She even remarried & is allowed to have children after all that happened. Both should have been executed for what they did to Homolka's sister.

Clifford Olsen who raped, tortured, strangled & bludgeoned 11 (that Police know of) children while tormenting the families of the dead kids during his trial & subsequent parole hearings should have been put to death. He loved the attention he got from the news media. Luckily, cancer did the job our justice system wouldn't do in 2011 when he passed away. 

Robert Picton murdered 6 women & buried them on his pig farm in BC. From all accounts, the crime scene was absolutely horrific yet he lives. Yes, I'm all for the death penalty for individuals like these. 

I agree these things are heinous but the sytem isn't perfect and one innocent person executed is too much.

I do think prisoners should have to pay their society back to debt with labour though

Those convictions I refer to were iron clad. Especially Olsen. He boasted & laughed how he killed those kids knowing where they were all buried yet refused to say where for all of them. He wanted to write a book. I believe at one point there was talk of a movie & he complained to the media saying he should be able to profit off of both. He knew he'd never get out so he put the families through hell whenever he could. He also knew he'd never be executed so he had no fear of dying. The man was sadistic, heinous, conniving, cunning & manipulative. 

ok but the standard is proof beyond a reasonable doubt and people still end up wrongfully convicted. By that definition everyone in jail should have an ironclad case against them if they are going to prision. Where do you draw the line as to what is iron clad and what isn't? What is the mechanism?

I think it's a good possibility we end up with a Conservative minority, which will give us countless ominous threats from them about how the Liberals and NDP are plotting against Harper to form a coalition and destroy our country. This is clearly the worst thing ever, even though our form of government allows for it.

Not so much a threat since it almost happened in the recent past.  And while the form of government allows it, its not what the voters intended and I would argue its not what voters would want.  Even if people flip flop based on "their guy" benefiting from a coalition, we've had this tradition of government long enough that people expect that the party with the most seats forms government and if you dont like it, you try to get the most seats next time...not suddenly pal around with people you told us we should never vote for to become the governing power.

I wouldnt support a coalition even if it was the Cons benefiting.  Its shady.

Actually if 2 thirds of  the voters voted for 2 parties that are not in power and they work together that is closer to what the people wanted then 1 party with slightly more than a third holding all the power. Ideally in a minority govt the ruling party would modify their legislator to get the necessary buy in from other parties but if they don't, a coalition seems like a better alternative than another election. I don't think another vote is in the best interest of Canadians.

Can anyone tell me why the Conservatives keep hammering home that Justin is not ready yet there have been very few attack ads against Mulcair & the NDP? I just don't get it. Any theories? 

The Cons aren't winning over any new voters at this point, their only hope is to diminish Trudeau by attacking him and pull some of their past voters back.  The hard-core NDP supporters and the young are out of their reach, so they're not going to waste their time trying to win them over.

Do you believe a coalition of NDP/Liberals could be an effective government?

Obama didn't know where half the countries of the world were located on an atlas. I doubt if  George W Bush did or Ronald Reagan did either before they took office. Reagan was a Hollywood actor before entering politics. What real job experience did Harper have before he became a politician? Worked awhile for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation? A policy wonk in university? In on the ground floor with the Reform Party? A sitting MP? To me, that sounds like Harper wasn't ready either when he became PM. Every leader of a country has to learn... The job itself teaches them. 

Harper has a masters degree in economics

lecturer at U of Calgary

became politically active in High School (liberals by the way)

at 24 was Chief Aide to MP Jim Hawkes

at 28 was Chief Policy Adviser to the Reform Party

at 29, ran for public office in the 88 election

Became executive assistant and Chief Adviser to MP Deborah Grey

Became MP at 34

Became Vice President of National Citizens Coalition in 97.

Became leader of Canadian  Alliance in 2002 (age 43)

Leader of official opposition at age 45

PM at 47

Trudeau:

Bachelor of Arts

Actor

hosted a farewell party for Cretien, age 33

chaired a Liberal Task Force on youth renewal, age 35

MP, age 37

Leader of Liberals, age 42.

So....yeah, experience isnt everything but lets not pretend Harper isnt infinitely more experienced than JT.

By the way, Regan was politically active long before becoming President.  He wasnt an actor who, on a lark, ran for President and won.

What experience? how does sitting in the H of C give you experience? Ask Rob Anders. None of these 2 guys are ready. Harper wasn't ready when he took office. There's no job experience to help you learn to be a leader of a country. 

My previous post answers most of this.  But its a ludicrous assertion that political experience, education, etc are irrelevant to being Prime Minister.  Being the "leader of a country" isnt like Rambo being dropped into Vietnam and inspiring the locals to follow him.  Its politics.  And Harper was very experienced in various areas when he became PM.

You dont have to like him to see he was experienced.