Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

Dan "I am an NDP Shill" Lett wrote a negative article on the Conservatives? Say it ain't so.

I think we end up with a Liberal/NDP government anyway you slice it.

I wouldn't be so sure, in a statistical tie like the polls have shown since forever it might come down to where the votes get split. 

Dan "I am an NDP Shill" Lett wrote a negative article on the Conservatives? Say it ain't so.

yeah one line I caught was the Cons being third place in "some polls".  Thats an interesting spin on recent polls showing at worst a statistical three way tie and at best a Cons lead.  Perspective is everything I guess.

I wouldn't be so sure, in a statistical tie like the polls have shown since forever it might come down to where the votes get split. 

My concern is, if everyone's second choice is the Liberals, if you have enough undecided from both sides going to the Libs, they sneak up the middle.  They might be seen as the "safe" choice.  And JT coming across like he's blissfully unaware of anything sort of plays into that "well what damage can he do, he looks like he wont do anything" aura.

Income Splitting is just the small c conservative way of keeping women barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. I'm certainly no women's lib zealot, but I can't stand that kind of backwards thinking. There shouldn't be a special tax break to let women sit at home.

Are you for real? I sure hope not.
Income splitting seems like a common sense thing to me. And if those that can afford it choose to have one parent (doesnt have to be the woman) stay home full or part time to raise children, I see no problem with that...thats a good thing.

I think anything that might encourage or enable a parent (either one) to stay at home with the kids is good policy. We need more parent control over their own children.

I just vehemently disagree with this thinking....so we're going to have to agree to disagree. 

I just have one question. If my wife has a baby and goes on maternity leave she will make $18000 less. How much money should I have to earn to make up for that?

The Conservatives and the Liberals are numerically tied in what remains a close three-way race, according to the latest Nanos National Nightly Tracking for CTV and the Globe and Mail.

Voters were asked which federal parties they would consider voting for locally as a first and second choice, if the election were held today.

The Liberal Party was the first selection of 31.6 per cent of respondents, followed by the Conservatives at 31.5 per cent, and the NDP at 29.1 per cent. The poll also found 4.2 per cent of respondents favoured the Green Party as their first choice, and 10.6 per cent of Quebecers would consider voting for the Bloc Quebecois.

According to the latest numbers:

30.2 per cent of respondents chose Harper when asked who they would prefer as prime minister

27.1 per cent preferred Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau

26.2 per cent preferred NDP Leader Thomas Mulcair

5.8 per cent preferred Green Party Leader Elizabeth May

9.3 per cent were unsure

My concern is, if everyone's second choice is the Liberals, if you have enough undecided from both sides going to the Libs, they sneak up the middle.  They might be seen as the "safe" choice.  And JT coming across like he's blissfully unaware of anything sort of plays into that "well what damage can he do, he looks like he wont do anything" aura.

Nah I think the ABC group is the largest group so we're likely to see more split between the NDP/Liberal and allow the Cons to come up the middle. 2nd choice doesn't matter in our system. 

The Conservatives have leaped into the lead in the latest Ekos poll of voter intentions nation-wide.

Commissioned for La Presse, the survey says Conservative support has jumped nearly 6% to 35.4% support in less than a week, largely because of the party's stance on the niqab.

The Conservative surge comes at the expense of the NDP, and to a lesser degree the Liberals.

The Liberals have climbed into second place with 26.3% support, the NDP are in third place ..losing more than five points and are now at 24.5%.

Conservatives swing into lead, close in on majority government, new poll suggests Stephen Harper’s Conservative party has taken a commanding lead in the federal election race, according to a new poll

With less than a month to go in the campaign, and heading into the first of three leaders debates, the Tories have moved ahead of their rivals with the support of 35.4 per cent of voters, according to the Ekos poll conducted for Montreal’s La Presse newspaper.

Justin Trudeau and the Liberals have 26.3 per cent support and the NDP has the backing of 24.5 per cent of respondents. The poll questioned 2,343 people between Sept. 17 and Sept. 22 and is considered accurate to within two percentage points, 19 times out of 20

The results would seem to smash the notion of a three-way horserace that has been recorded in polls conducted through the first eight weeks of the election campaign.

“If (the Conservatives) keep those numbers up they’re very close to a majority — if not there already,” said pollster Frank Graves. “The numbers are about as good as we had for the final weekend of polling (in the 2011 election) when they achieved their majority.”

My thinking on getting a Lib/NDP coalition is that I don't see Harper getting a majority and if he wins the most seats, I think those two gang up to take him down at the Throne Speech and they then form the government.

I don't see it. Trudeau has already said no coalition with Mulcair. Neither party wants to play 2nd fiddle to the other. If they topple the government and it goes to an election I can see the voters slapping them down like happened with their contempt of parliament nonsense. If the Conservatives get a minority they will form government and run it for a while. The NDP and Liberals simply do not have as much common ground as people think they do and the Conservatives would do what they did last times they had a minority. Find support where they can by giving some parties concessions. 

My thinking on getting a Lib/NDP coalition is that I don't see Harper getting a majority and if he wins the most seats, I think those two gang up to take him down at the Throne Speech and they then form the government.

I don't see it. Trudeau has already said no coalition with Mulcair. Neither party wants to play 2nd fiddle to the other. If they topple the government and it goes to an election I can see the voters slapping them down like happened with their contempt of parliament nonsense. If the Conservatives get a minority they will form government and run it for a while. The NDP and Liberals simply do not have as much common ground as people think they do and the Conservatives would do what they did last times they had a minority. Find support where they can by giving some parties concessions. 

Do you think the NDP slipping has any connection to Mulcair saying he'd consider working with the Liberals or did he say that because he was slipping?

NDP candidate drops out:

Sandra Arias, the NDP's candidate for the federal riding of Battlefords-Lloydminster, has dropped out of the race, citing the "financial strain" of an extra-long campaign.

"It is with great disappointment and sadness that I announce my withdrawal from the 2015 federal election," Arias said in a statement on Facebook.

"Simply put, the financial strain of a historically long election has been just too much to bear for myself and my family."

Arias urged supporters to vote for the NDP candidate who will be taking her place. She was the last of the 14 NDP candidates to be nominated when the riding's nomination meeting was held Aug. 16.

Meanwhile, one commenter on Facebook said she voted in an advance poll and is upset her vote has been wasted.

"I understand that you have your own life to worry about (and of course your family trumps everything) but I take election time very seriously and now if I can't have a vote (and all of the others that voted for you)," Michelle Eisenkirch wrote.

But interestingly, some remarks she made were about to come out.  She compared fighting online to "running in the special olympics".  And there are many comments online from people upset that she quit after the advanced polls opened.

Do you think the NDP slipping has any connection to Mulcair saying he'd consider working with the Liberals or did he say that because he was slipping?

No Mulcair has been open to a coalition with the Liberals before the election was even called *IF* Mulcair was the leader. Simply put the NDP is opportunistic right now. Their slide in the polls is more a reflection of people seeing them as a protest, but then realizing they may win, scrutinizing them more and deciding they don't like it and going to the safe comfy Liberals instead. 

Conflicting polls

The Liberal Party was the first choice of 31.5 per cent of respondents, followed by the NDP at 30.8 per cent, and the Conservatives at 30.5 per cent. The poll also found 3.7 per cent of respondents would consider the Green Party as their first choice, and 9.4 per cent of Quebecers would consider voting for the Bloc Quebecois as their first choice.

I'm watching the live stream of the french debate right now and Harper's translator is such bullshit!  I don't know if he's supplied by Harper and the conservatives or by the CBC who is running the stream, but he can barely translate what Harper is saying while the rest have fluid speakers able to convey the passion of the person they are translating.  Unbelievable!

Gee I wonder why. No media bias though

But wait! There goes another NDP'er

@OutlawTory: NDP candidate Stefan Jonasson disfavourably compares Jews to the Taliban. Yikes. Someone's done. http://t.co/4gVvkA45sG#CdnPoli #Elxn42

One Con candidate wants to end the separation of Church and state. Another said abortion is worse than the Holocaust. We could do this all day with crazy candidates.

@mrabson: Stefan Jonasson, the Ndp candidate for Charleswood-St.James etc, has resigned after comments surfaced comparing Jews to Taliban. #bn #elxn42

For clarity sake...

WFP: Mary Agnes Welch and Mia Rabson

The NDP candidate for Charleswood-St. James-Assiniboia-Headingley has stepped down after comparing the practices of an ultra-orthodox Jewish group to the Taliban.

NDP spokesman George Soule confirmed late Thursday that Stefan Jonasson, who previously ran for city council in the area, has resigned.

In 2012, Jonasson tweeted "Much like the Taliban and other extremists, the Haredim offer a toxic caricature of faith, at odds with the spirit of the religious tradition they profess to represent."

The tweet surfaced Thursday on the True North Times, a blog whose stated goal is to capitalize on "scandals, politicians who are more ridiculous than cartoon characters and a highly contested election on the horizon, where there will surely be blunders and comedic moments."

Jonasson told the Canadian Press his comments were taken out of context — he was not comparing Jews to a terrorist group.He said he was criticizing the way women are treated by the Haredim, including segregation of the sexes and strict dress codes.

Jonasson says he was asked by the NDP to step down and agreed to do so.

"I wish that the party had had the courage and the foresight to believe that my candidacy was worth defending, but they did not," Jonasson told the Canadian Press Thursday night.

"I'm conflicted. I understand the party's reasoning and it's a disappointment to me."

Jonasson said he was asked by the NDP to step down, and he agreed.

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair issued a brief comment about Jonasson's decision following the leaders' French-language debate in Montreal.

"I think that that person clearly recognized that he had said something totally inappropriate and has withdrawn and that's enough," he said.

Jonasson has a bachelor’s degree in theology and arts as well as a master’s degree in divinity from the University of Winnipeg. He’s been a Unitarian minister since 1991. He served in senior roles in the church, most recently as director of growth strategies and large congregation development.

The riding is currently held by Conservative Steven Fletcher. Also running are Liberal Doug Eyolfson and Green Party candidate Kevin Nichols.

The NDP placed second in the riding during the 2011 federal election.

"There is no safe seat for the Conservatives as I believe most Canadians want this government gone," he told the Canstar community newspaper, The Metro, earlier this year.

"I’m concerned about the growing inequalities amongst Canadians."

Jonasson ran in last year’s municipal election in which he placed third in the St. James-Brooklands ward.