Election 2015

FrostyWinnipeg

You have 3 left of centre parties, the Libs, the NDP & the Green Party & one centre right. Of course the vote is split. I have no idea if Trudeau has brought the Libs to centre-left as he should to get some of the Conservative vote... I still think people are afraid to vote NDP & come election day the voters who are courting the NDP will instead park their votes behind the Libs & Conservatives. I just hope the wacko Elizabeth May & the Greens get eliminated. What an annoying ***** of a politician she is.

Wouldn't having 3 parties on one side of center and 1 on the other adjust where the center is?

if you stand in the center of the room and three people stand on one side of you and one stands on the other, it doesnt change where the center of the room is.

yeah its not geography. The center lies in different places in different countries depending on how distributed the populations political beliefs are.

A more appropriate analogy would be, if you take a room and add or remove an addition one one side, has the middle of the room moved.

You have 3 left of centre parties, the Libs, the NDP & the Green Party & one centre right. Of course the vote is split. I have no idea if Trudeau has brought the Libs to centre-left as he should to get some of the Conservative vote... I still think people are afraid to vote NDP & come election day the voters who are courting the NDP will instead park their votes behind the Libs & Conservatives. I just hope the wacko Elizabeth May & the Greens get eliminated. What an annoying ***** of a politician she is.

Wouldn't having 3 parties on one side of center and 1 on the other adjust where the center is?

if you stand in the center of the room and three people stand on one side of you and one stands on the other, it doesnt change where the center of the room is.

yeah its not geography. The center lies in different places in different countries depending on how distributed the populations political beliefs are.

A more appropriate analogy would be, if you take a room and add or remove an addition one one side, has the middle of the room moved.

Yup, no one said it wasnt.  Point is the same. 

Yup, no one said it wasnt.  Point is the same. 

no its different, would expect it to be lost on you though.

Other than it being pretty accurate that none of the issues really stuck to the Conservatives.  In fact, the Duffy thing is straight out absurd considering the details, the economy might have been a brilliant strategy on Harper's part and the the biggest take away from the refugee issue is Donnelly is a liar and Canadians seem cool with current processes.

You have a tendency to gloss over the fact that the Duffy affair is a serious matter and should never have happened in the first place..he's on trial, in a criminal matter. That's Harper..no matter how you spin it.

And brilliant strategy of Harper? to run deficit after deficit after deficit and then announce a small surplus using the aid of raiding the UI fund, the contingency

fund, and selling off assets?

Other than it being pretty accurate that none of the issues really stuck to the Conservatives.  In fact, the Duffy thing is straight out absurd considering the details, the economy might have been a brilliant strategy on Harper's part and the the biggest take away from the refugee issue is Donnelly is a liar and Canadians seem cool with current processes.

You have a tendency to gloss over the fact that the Duffy affair is a serious matter and should never have happened in the first place..he's on trial, in a criminal matter. That's Harper..no matter how you spin it.

And brilliant strategy of Harper? to run deficit after deficit after deficit and then announce a small surplus using the aid of raiding the UI fund, the contingency

fund, and selling off assets?

Not glossing over it.  Duffy did wrong.  That's not on Harper outside of the fact Duffy was a Conservative.  He was ordered to replay the money and booted from the Cons.  What more did you want Harper to do, take Duffy over his knee and spank him?  How much public money has been spent on a matter that involved $90,000 that was repaid?  Compared to the $40 million in the liberal sponsorship scandal that was never repaid for the millions the NDP still owes that they wont repay? 

I dont know what Harper's strategy was.  I questioned calling an election when he did, right in the midst of the Duffy trial and with the country about to slip into recession.  But now, no one cares about Duffy and we had a month of the opposition framing this election as a referendum on the economy.  Trudeau committed to spending out of the recession since we were in deficit anyway.  Then all of a sudden, the economy begins to look up, we post a surplus and the question of "who is the best manager of the economy" begins to resonate with voters that hey, maybe it's Harper.  And Trudeau is now married to his promise to go into massive deficit.

And Trudeau has gone on record attributing the downturn in the economy to the drop in oil prices, which really confirms what Harper has been saying. 

Yeah and the PMO's office stood idly by and Ho hummed during the whole Duffy affair, right?

And Harper called the election when he did to prolong the election period so that he and his war chest could outlast the other parties. All on the taxpayer's expense of course.

And we posted a "presented" surplus by raiding piggy banks and selling off,at a tremendous loss, shares in GM. That is not prudent managing but it was the only way Harper could present a surplus.

Yeah and the PMO's office stood idly by and Ho hummed during the whole Duffy affair, right?

And Harper called the election when he did to prolong the election period so that he and his war chest could outlast the other parties. All on the taxpayer's expense of course.

And we posted a "presented" surplus by raiding piggy banks and selling off,at a tremendous loss, shares in GM. That is not prudent managing but it was the only way Harper could present a surplus.

The GM share thing has been discussed before by people who know more than me and I dont think your dislike of the deal holds up.

A surplus is a surplus.  I know the opposition tried to frame it as the Cons cutting spending which was proven to be a lie.  I bet if the NDP won and posted a surplus you wouldnt say its not really a surplus.

If Harper's strategy was simply that they had a greater war chest, then thats good strategy.

Got a nice mailout from the NDP today, the focus on how they can defeat Harper. Not how we can improve Canada but how we can defeat Harper. To boot, it touts Erin Selby's leadership and experience. Selby would have to study to pass as an idiot.

You should see the mail outs I get from the Conservatives. It's actually rather off putting how fear mongering it is and how they try and prey on stupidity. You don't need to go full ***** to get votes in Calgary

crowd-leaves-after-stephen-harper-speaks

So the Conservatives set up a photo op and make a manufacturing-related announcement on the weekend at a Windsor manufacturing business and stuff it full of retired people.  Here is a photo of Harper's base, can you spot anyone under the age of 65?

Yes.  Cant you?

Fooled by the hair dye?  Betcha that redhead was one hot mama back in '57.

Dan Fumano, Postmedia News

Monday, Sept. 21, 2015

The federal Conservatives are facing an unexpected backlash from Terry Fox’s family and friends, who insist they were not enthusiastic about the party’s pledge to match Terry Fox Run donations if re-elected, and say they found the campaign event in poor taste.

One longtime friend and confidante of Fox said the announcement, made Sunday by outgoing Conservative MP James Moore, was “so wrong on so many levels.”

“There is no place in the fight against cancer for politics,” said Bill Vigars, who organized public relations for the Marathon of Hope in 1980.

The Terry Fox Foundation, which has for years avoided politicizing Fox’s legacy, issued a statement Monday underlining their non-partisan status.

Moore — the federal Industry Minister, who is not seeking re-election — said Sunday in Port Moody, B.C., that a Conservative government would commit up to $35 million to match donations made during this year’s Terry Fox Run, if the party is re-elected in October.

Vigars said the Conservatives’ announcement was a surprise to him.

In a Facebook post, Vigars wrote: “I am extremely disappointed that the Conservative Party, through James Moore and Mrs. Harper would make a conditional, if they are re-elected promise, to match funds from this year’s Terry Fox Run.”

He added: “This is poor taste, bad timing and so wrong on so many levels. Also to say the family was enthusiastic is incorrect, to say the least. I would be remiss if I did not say something.”

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2F%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fcanadian-politics%2Ftory-campaign-mistake-angers-terry-foxs-family-there-is-no-place-in-the-fight-against-cancer-for-politics

Monday, Sept. 21, 2015

The federal Conservatives are facing an unexpected backlash from Terry Fox’s family and friends, who insist they were not enthusiastic about the party’s pledge to match Terry Fox Run donations if re-elected, and say they found the campaign event in poor taste.

One longtime friend and confidante of Fox said the announcement, made Sunday by outgoing Conservative MP James Moore, was “so wrong on so many levels.”

“There is no place in the fight against cancer for politics,” said Bill Vigars, who organized public relations for the Marathon of Hope in 1980.

The Terry Fox Foundation, which has for years avoided politicizing Fox’s legacy, issued a statement Monday underlining their non-partisan status.

Moore — the federal Industry Minister, who is not seeking re-election — said Sunday in Port Moody, B.C., that a Conservative government would commit up to $35 million to match donations made during this year’s Terry Fox Run, if the party is re-elected in October.

In a Facebook post, Vigars wrote: “I am extremely disappointed that the Conservative Party, through James Moore and Mrs. Harper would make a conditional, if they are re-elected promise, to match funds from this year’s Terry Fox Run.”

He added: “This is poor taste, bad timing and so wrong on so many levels. Also to say the family was enthusiastic is incorrect, to say the least. I would be remiss if I did not say something.”

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com%2F%2Fnews%2Fcanada%2Fcanadian-politics%2Ftory-campaign-mistake-angers-terry-foxs-family-there-is-no-place-in-the-fight-against-cancer-for-politics

Must feel great to make a generous pledge with taxpayers money, pre-election.

Monday, Sept. 21, 2015

Must feel great to make a generous pledge with taxpayers money, pre-election.

If they really want to be seen as generous, they should be pledging their own money instead of everybody else's. Tying a donation to being re-elected is poor form. I guess they don't care about people with cancer if they're only the opposition...

Yes Im sure they dont care about people with Cancer.  Stephen Harper hates you if you have cancer! lol

This is an amusing study.  Firstly, this issue is about 425th on my list of things I give an F about so I have virtually no feelings either way.  But I bet the Fox family werent Conservatives.  And I bet if they are NDP'ers and Mulcair said this, they'd not have reacted outside of praising his generosity.  Politicizing it works both ways.

Someone made a post on FB a few days ago that essentially said guess who left their campaign bus running for 5 hours while he was inside talking about the climate, it was Mulcair.  And the responses ranged from talking about how certain engines need to run constantly to how desperate "Conservatives" were to mention something so frivolous. 

There is a lot of frivolity on both sides.  Although the bus issue would probably be 424th on my list of things I give an F about but I thought it was a funny mention.  And people reacted so angrily.  Its been a long election (though Trudeau admitted it was good for Canadians), it will be nice when it's over.

Got a nice mailout from the NDP today, the focus on how they can defeat Harper. Not how we can improve Canada but how we can defeat Harper. To boot, it touts Erin Selby's leadership and experience. Selby would have to study to pass as an idiot.

70% of Canadians would say doing the latter would achieve the former. So they kind of are focusing on improving Canada (how's that for spin? ;-) )

There's no media bias. Just every news outlet missed Jt's lousy interview.

Clearly, some outlet covered it, or you wouldn't have come across it. But, hey, the media also missed Harper's lousy interview too. Oh wait, there wasn't one. Because he won't answer more than 5 questions at any presser, screens his conferences so only "approved" media and attendees show up, and has his crony supporters hurl insults at anyone who asks an uncomfortable question. If security hasn't already removed them.

There's no media bias. Just every news outlet missed Jt's lousy interview.

Clearly, some outlet covered it, or you wouldn't have come across it. But, hey, the media also missed Harper's lousy interview too. Oh wait, there wasn't one. Because he won't answer more than 5 questions at any presser, screens his conferences so only "approved" media and attendees show up, and has his crony supporters hurl insults at anyone who asks an uncomfortable question. If security hasn't already removed them.

So you're comparing the media not covering a non-existent Harper interview with the media not covering a poorly performed Trudeau interview?  Talk about spin! ;-)

I hope this announcement by the Conservatives is picked up by all the media and that the Conservatives are taken to task for this highly politically-motivated announcement before an election. Shameful…for any party.

Oh, and there is the blatant lie they suggests They’re aware of it … They’re enthusiastic and they think it’s great.”

…..which drew the response - A statement issued Monday on behalf of the Fox family said: “We need to clarify that we did not respond enthusiastically suggesting the idea was great as MP James Moore reported.

So, which is it Mr Moore?

Never mind, I think we know.

And I can just see the response by Stephen - "I wasn't aware of the inner goings-on in my family circle". It was just the people around him…again.

If thats a major issue this election, we've run out of issues.  I think Trudeau having nary a clue as to the cost of his promises would mean more to Canadians than a minor pissing contest over charity donations between a political party and a few private citizens who are clearly not conservative supporters.