When the Swagger is back

BigBlue

IMHO we lost to Calgary because we don't yet have our confidence built to its top level. When it comes those "little things" will go right instead of going wrong.

I am not sure I want Swaggerville back - - it was close to being too much, even over the top ... but I am waiting for something like it to come around. Swagger is what it takes to play championship caliber.

I think what you're talking about is confidence and veteran leadership. Calgary has a lot of it. We have some but can take a couple more steps. Maybe that extra bit of confidence nails the field goal at the end of the game?

Yes all that & more ... its the experience of winning that makes for the secret success sauce and it can come from anywhere. Willy had it for a while last year.

This stuff ISN'T LUCK.

Swaggervile can stay buried. Forever. That was Odell Willis's baby. You want more guys like him with that idiot "ME FIRST" attitude on the team? No thanks. 

It was the dbs that started it, it was Matt Dunigan that even started to credit it to Willis. That was all the defensive backs doing and they started it when Mike Kelly was still the coach. 

"Swaggerville" was simply the attitude, chemistry and mindset of that particular defense given a name.  That's all.   I'm not sure why so many people vilify that idea.  Those guys played hungry.  Those guys had fun.  Those guys played for each other.  And yes, those guys celebrated. Hell, they made a lot of clutch plays that won us games we had no business being in.  So I'd ask, what the hell is wrong with that?   This whole notion of 'acting like you've been there before' is so incredibly dated .. these guys play a game for a living .. it's supposed to be fun .. it's supposed to be entertaining for us fans .. and a great many fans WERE entertained by "Swaggerville".

"Swaggerville" was simply the attitude, chemistry and mindset of that particular defense given a name.  That's all.   I'm not sure why so many people vilify that idea.  Those guys played hungry.  Those guys had fun.  Those guys played for each other.  And yes, those guys celebrated. Hell, they made a lot of clutch plays that won us games we had no business being in.  So I'd ask, what the hell is wrong with that?   This whole notion of 'acting like you've been there before' is so incredibly dated .. these guys play a game for a living .. it's supposed to be fun .. it's supposed to be entertaining for us fans .. and a great many fans WERE entertained by "Swaggerville".

Nothing wrong with it if that is what entertains you. Lots wrong with it if it doesn't. For those who dislike it, it smacked of arrogance, with players who were more about themselves than the team, and spent time telling people how great they were because it wasn't evident enough on its own merit. And I get the whole "it ain't bragging if you can back it up" concept, but if you are that good, your play will speak for you, not your proclamations. They were good, but the West-Battle-Jones-Brown era never had to brag because everyone feared them on their reputation of performance alone, and no one needed to be told how good they were, because everyone knew it just by watching them. They didn't have to convince anyone (maybe themselves?) with hot air. Plus, that arrogance comes with a healthy dose of humble pie and comeuppance when you lose (like touting an interception you made when losing 35-0 in Edmonton, right Jovon?), and that comeuppance can attach itself beyond the players to the fanbase.

To each their own, I guess. Neither approach is right or wrong objectively, just a personal preference about how you like your professional athletes to act. I'd prefer my team spend time in practice working on fine-tuning football drills rather than choreographing TD and sack dances.

Thing is the players really never did the bragging about it. The media got wind of it and ran with it. Matt Dunigan was the #1 hype man for it and was pretty much single handedly responsible for it gaining any kind of national notice. That defence was fantastic. Playmakers who won a pile of games for the team while the offense was busy crapping it's pants game in and game out. 

Thing is the players really never did the bragging about it. The media got wind of it and ran with it. Matt Dunigan was the #1 hype man for it and was pretty much single handedly responsible for it gaining any kind of national notice. That defence was fantastic. Playmakers who won a pile of games for the team while the offense was busy crapping it's pants game in and game out.

The players made t-shirts. Odell Willis gave himself the nickname "The Mayor of Swaggerville", not anyone else.

Nothing wrong with it if that is what entertains you. Lots wrong with it if it doesn't. For those who dislike it, it smacked of arrogance, with players who were more about themselves than the team, and spent time telling people how great they were because it wasn't evident enough on its own merit. And I get the whole "it ain't bragging if you can back it up" concept, but if you are that good, your play will speak for you, not your proclamations. They were good, but the West-Battle-Jones-Brown era never had to brag because everyone feared them on their reputation of performance alone, and no one needed to be told how good they were, because everyone knew it just by watching them. They didn't have to convince anyone (maybe themselves?) with hot air. Plus, that arrogance comes with a healthy dose of humble pie and comeuppance when you lose (like touting an interception you made when losing 35-0 in Edmonton, right Jovon?), and that comeuppance can attach itself beyond the players to the fanbase.

To each their own, I guess. Neither approach is right or wrong objectively, just a personal preference about how you like your professional athletes to act. I'd prefer my team spend time in practice working on fine-tuning football drills rather than choreographing TD and sack dances.

And yet they did back it up .. that defense single-handedly won games for this team.  That defense single handedly kept us in games when TOP was heavily in the opposition's favour .. when our offense went 2 and out time and time again.   . Comparing those guys to West .. Battle .. Jones (in terms of how they carried themselves) is comparing apples to oranges .. it was a different era of football .. but those guys also played with attitude .. and swagger.

I have slowly come to realize that a great many people who disliked (resented?) "Swaggerville"  are simply upset about how the team (the whole organization for that matter) simply imploded.  These individuals are using a very visible, vocal part of those teams as a focal point for their disappointment.   Others simply have an 'old school mindset' and cannot (will not?) recognize the changing times.  I for one will never begrudge those guys their celebrations and antics when they were often on the field for 2/3 a game.

As you say .. to each their own.

Winning teams can have fun, work hard, be humble, can visit the edge of strutting their stuff and be talked about. It's part of the package. When you do well, it's OK for the team to enjoy success, be slap happy, that's part of sports.

Arrogance? No, but spectacular enthusiasm works for me.

I thought the tut-tutting and pearl clutching about Swaggerville at the time got out of hand.  Since then it's morphed into just another thing for bitter Bomber fans and haters to complain about.

I thought the tut-tutting and pearl clutching about Swaggerville at the time got out of hand.  Since then it's morphed into just another thing for bitter Bomber fans and haters to complain about.

Who is complaining? This is a discussion.

And yet they did back it up .. that defense single-handedly won games for this team.  That defense single handedly kept us in games when TOP was heavily in the opposition's favour .. when our offense went 2 and out time and time again.   . Comparing those guys to West .. Battle .. Jones (in terms of how they carried themselves) is comparing apples to oranges .. it was a different era of football .. but those guys also played with attitude .. and swagger.

I have slowly come to realize that a great many people who disliked (resented?) "Swaggerville"  are simply upset about how the team (the whole organization for that matter) simply imploded.  These individuals are using a very visible, vocal part of those teams as a focal point for their disappointment.   Others simply have an 'old school mindset' and cannot (will not?) recognize the changing times.  I for one will never begrudge those guys their celebrations and antics when they were often on the field for 2/3 a game.

As you say .. to each their own.

When you are hoisting the Grey Cup over your head, you can swagger.  Until then, let the scoreboard do the talking

Well they damn near won the Grey Cup... It's not like it hindered their play on the field. That defence was awesome and kept us in a lot of games for a couple of years.

We still didn't win a championship so it's first or last as far as a lot of fans like me think. Lots of teams have great defenses. Who cares if they did or not as they didn't win everything. If you're gonna prance then be first to the dance. I remember that defense of 88 & 90. They won us the Grey Cup both years. Especially 1988. When it was all on the line they delivered. They were cocky & yapped but they knew they were good. Didn't need Swaggerville to let the CFL know how good they actually were. Did most of their talking on the field. #muchrespect

Always thought Richard Harris told the d guys to play with Swag. Lenny Walls and Richard Harris may have been the actual guys to start it all tho. Just Jovon and the loud mouths really took it to another level. The swaggerville thing was cool for a while but then the media actually got out of control. The D was the only reason we made the grey cup that season. It was fun. It was fine with me but it did manage to get out of control. Not sure if was because of the players or the media tho. Playing with Swag or Confidence is good. I think those who might not have liked it. Well how do you say this. Let's just say I don't think the younger fans had much issue with it