2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

http://www.tsn.ca/video/cheveldayoff-playoff-success-not-a-given~703446

Chevy has a lot to say and it is a good interview by McKenzie.

It sounds like Armia and Ehlers and Petan (mentions his play at LW) will be given every chance to make the team this year. Talks highly of Copp, too. Sounds to me like Morrissey might not start with the Jets.

I like the way he says Trouba and Scheifele being a big part of the club's future. Sounds to me like he will match any offer given these two by other teams. I'd like to see him get those two and Hutch and Lowry all locked up before next July.

He also talks about the team playing how Maurice wants them to play how certain members (Wheeler, Ladd, Little) play within the team aspect of the game.

McKenzie said a number of Western Conference coaches said the Jets were, bar none, the hardest team to play against physically.

Didn't know where to post this...

Watched it last night also and thought it was pretty good. 

Definitely sounds like Petan,Ehlers and Armia have a good shot this year to make the team. Thought chevy actually spoke more highly of Petan than he did Ehlers, Petan really impressed the coaches last season he said during camp and i think if he has a similar camp this year, he's gonna make it. It wouldn't shock me to see Ehlers not make the team and go play in Europe for a year.. all sorts of skill there but not sure if he's ready yet... 

also of note was they are pretty far along in contract talks with Ladd, my guess, a deal is done shortly and with Buff, basically in the preliminary stages... 

also have talked to scheif trouba and lowry about deals too, impression i got was theres going to be one long term deal and 2 bridge deals there. 

Petan is so much easier because he can play for the Moose so there's little risk or even decision-making.  If he looks good, start him on the Jets and if he falters, he can "condition" with the Moose.  Ehlers is tougher.  I'd suspect, unless he really flops, he plays 8 or 9 games with the Jets at least.  Needs to show well or back to Junior.  Way too good for junior and he's made it clear he doesnt want to be there.  But he has to make the Jets to stick around.  Petan can be a bubble player and still make it.

What he said was, junior was the bottom of his list.  It would be a discussion with Jets management and their opinion of what was best for him.  He doesnt have to do what the Jets say but they'd have a vote.  I believe this came up with Burmi during the lockout when the Jets insisted he play with the ice Caps, he didnt want to...but he did anyway.

What he said was, junior was the bottom of his list.  It would be a discussion with Jets management and their opinion of what was best for him.  He doesnt have to do what the Jets say but they'd have a vote.  I believe this came up with Burmi during the lockout when the Jets insisted he play with the ice Caps, he didnt want to...but he did anyway.

I think the Jets understand as well as anyone that Ehlers has accomplished everything he possibly could in junior.  If he doesn't make the Jets, bet on him playing in Europe.

God help us if 3 rookies make the starting lineup out of camp. This could be a rough year.

I agree.  Ehlers and Copp.  Halischuk as the 13th who will get some playing time.  The thing is, if Lemieux did make the team on the 4th line, you'd have a line with 2 rookies...but the 4th can be managed in such a way to lessen the impact if they get running around (or a 3rd line guy can take an extra shift etc).  So there are ways to manage it.  But it seems unlikely to start 3 rookies.

The problem isn't necessarily having 3 rookies in the starting lineup, it's what happens when there are some injuries. You bring up more rookies and suddenly 6 of your 12 forwards are rookies and you're getting pummelled every night.

Your depth doesn't have to be rookies though. Halischuk and Fraser are two examples of veteran guys who might get pushed to the AHL by rookies.

The problem isn't necessarily having 3 rookies in the starting lineup, it's what happens when there are some injuries. You bring up more rookies and suddenly 6 of your 12 forwards are rookies and you're getting pummelled every night.

Your depth doesn't have to be rookies though. Halischuk and Fraser are two examples of veteran guys who might get pushed to the AHL by rookies.

I think the general feeling is, a rookie cant play top level for 82 games.  So you need veteran depth to spell those guys off from time to time.  And I think the Jets have that to a degree.  I like Halischuk.  He's not getting tapped to replace Ehlers in a top six role when he struggles.  But if Copp and/or Lemieux were struggling there are options on the 4th line. 

If Ehlers has some down time, you have the option of shuffling guys up.  Burmi for example.  Or Petan gets called up for 6 games.

During the season, it can be managed.  If the Jets make the playoffs with 3+ rookies in the line up, thats where you worry about the lack of experience.

Then again, maybe Ehlers will be the second coming of rookie Teemu (except he was way older).

Sure, I understand that. I'm just very wary of going too young, too fast... And that's what I'm seeing right now. Not trying to be negative, it's just hard to ignore.

I think our opening lineup will be:

Ladd - Little - Stafford

Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler

Burmi - Lowry - Ehlers

Fraser - Copp - Thorburn

With Hali and Peluso as extra forwards. Options for call-ups will be Petan, Cormier, Johnny Albert and Ryan Olsen. Not so bad but still seems a little scary to me. I just hope our prospects are as good as the hype train has made them out to be.

Sure, I understand that. I'm just very wary of going too young, too fast... And that's what I'm seeing right now. Not trying to be negative, it's just hard to ignore.

Ladd - Little - Stafford

Burmi - Lowry - Ehlers

Fraser - Copp - Thorburn

With Hali and Peluso as extra forwards. Options for call-ups will be Petan, Cormier, Johnny Albert and Ryan Olsen. Not so bad but still seems a little scary to me. I just hope our prospects are as good as the hype train has made them out to be.

There is for sure reason to be concerned when we are depending on rookies coming into the lineup out of training camp.

When you look at the Jets prospects coming up, they will have to be adding a couple each year to the lineup.    Ideally though they make it into the lineup as injury call-ups and force the team not to send them back down with their play to prove they are ready.  Let them play in the AHL until they give you no choice.  After this year and maybe next, I think you will start to see that happen more.

Ladd - Little - Stafford

Burmi - Lowry - Ehlers

Fraser - Copp - Thorburn

This is a pretty solid lineup guess.

TUP,

Where do you see Armia starting?

Hali was signed for the Moose, also an emergency call up guy.

Fraser = Moose. No way Fraser plays any serious time with the big team. If Thorbs, Peluso and Hali are hurt, they MIGHT call up Fraser but I doubt it.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Scheifele - Stafford
Burmi - Lowry - Ehlers
Thorburn - Copp - Armia