2015 NHL Free Agency

Rich

The Avalanche announced on Tuesday that defenseman Erik Johnson has signed a seven-year contract extension that will take him through the 2022-23 season.

The deal reportedly is worth $42 million for a salary cap hit of $6 million.

Johnson, 27, was under contract through this season with a cap hit of $3.75 million. He could have been an unrestricted free agent after the season.

***how does this influence Buff

Unless someone signs for under 6m/yr it does not.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Hawks-Extend-Seabrook-For-Eight-Years-Good-Deal/1/71229

6.85m per year for 8 years!!!!!!!

wow

I guess this helps the Jets' negotiations with Buff?

No way he is worth more than Seabrook.

Both born in '85 but I would NEVER give Buff an eight year contract.

Whats with signing 30yr old Dmen to 7-8yr contracts?!?!

Buff won't get 8 years, no chance, Seabrook is actually a better d man than Buff is, I honestly could see Buff signing like a 4 year deal worth 24-28 million so between 6 and 7 a year really.. If not, I think he probably gets traded.

The UFA market is changing it seems, teams seem to be not willing to give out long term big money contracts to guys who are older...

Chicago and Seabrook is irrelevant because Seabrook is chicagos property.. 

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Both Buff and Ladd are traded and honestly, depending on what we get back in return, I don't think i'd  be opposed to it.

The way i see this, it's time to **** or get off the pot with these 2... Offer Ladd your best deal, take it or leave it really, if he says thank but no thanks.. move him.

Do the same to buff, thanks but no thanks, you move him too.

If both want more than 5 or 6 years for big money, they can move on.

Ladd is ok,  but he's not one of the best players in the league, sure he might pop 30 and get 30 assists, he's a 60 point player now but what about in 2 or 3 years from now when guys like Petan,Ehlers,Armia,Connor etc are around... 

The worst thing we could do is sign ladd and buff to long term big money deals... That's the worst thing, cuz whether people want to admit or not, when this team is actually competitive on a regular basis and not a bubble team like we were last year or probably be this year, Ladd and Buff won't be around and if they are.. ladd will be on the third line and buff will be on the third D pair... 

Lets say ladd wants 6 years and 36 million, it's probably more tho... that's great now but in 3 or 4 years, is it worth it to pay a 3rd liner 6 million a year?

Nope. The cap isn't going to go up anytime soon, the loonie is falling. It's not worth it. 

You build around the Scheifs,Troubas,Lowrys,Myers,Morrisseys,Ehlers and Petans... Not around the Ladd and Buffs. 

Would really suck if we lost a young player because we over paid ladd and buff just because... 

THE BOSTON GLOBE: Fluto Shinzawa weighed in on the recent “Dustin Byfuglien to the Bruins” speculation that arose in the wake of defenseman Dennis Seidenberg being sidelined for two months by back surgery. He suggested the Jets “would want one of the Bruins’ two 2016 first-rounders and help off the roster.” Given the Jets depth in goaltending prospects, Shinzawa doubts they’d have interest in promising Bruins netminder Malcolm Subban.

Buff won't get 8 years, no chance, Seabrook is actually a better d man than Buff is, I honestly could see Buff signing like a 4 year deal worth 24-28 million so between 6 and 7 a year really.. If not, I think he probably gets traded.

The UFA market is changing it seems, teams seem to be not willing to give out long term big money contracts to guys who are older...

Chicago and Seabrook is irrelevant because Seabrook is chicagos property.. 

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Both Buff and Ladd are traded and honestly, depending on what we get back in return, I don't think i'd  be opposed to it.

The way i see this, it's time to **** or get off the pot with these 2... Offer Ladd your best deal, take it or leave it really, if he says thank but no thanks.. move him.

Do the same to buff, thanks but no thanks, you move him too.

Honest count = 3

Goalie is totally trustworthy :)

No doubt the Bruins are going to be a poor on defense and with Seidenberg  out with a injury that's not  easy to come back from, and Chara with his problems they might decide that they need help. On the other hand they probably know that they are not a  playoff team this year and go with what they have.

Keep Ladd. Trade buff. Need Ladd a lot more than we need buff.

Keep both if possible. But we're not going to lose trouba, scheif, Lowry, Ehlers, Myers etc because we can't afford them

And kept buff instead.

I'd argue that Ladd, on ice, can be replaced easier than Buff.

I agree

Kyle Connor. Nic Petan. Nik Ehlers. All guys who could take Ladds spot.

Not much for D prospects outside of Morrissey

In what way can Nic Petan and Ehlers take Ladds spot?? And Connor isn't even in camp. Absurd.

Also Buff is arguably 3RHD behind Myers and Trouba. Not in all situations but of we could only keep two it wouldn't be buff