TC Report Day 8

I've been to 4 practices so far this year and Brohm has looked bad at 3 of them. The other he looked pretty good.

I recall he didn't look very good in most practices last year, but I thought he played well in the games he got into last season.

His stats were far from impressive. He had one decent game against Calgary, but even then the offence only managed to score 9 points under his lead. He had that one long completion to Denmark and followed it up with a fumble in the red zone. He was no good in the preseason either.

I wouldn't be too surprised, that after the dust settles, and barring no QB injuries, that Robert Marve might be the odd man out. This pre-season will be very important for ole no-knees.

That's ridiculous considering the way he played last year and so far in TC.

If anything, Brohm should be the odd man out, or relegated to third or fourth stringer duty. He's completely immobile and lacks accuracy. There's nothing about him that's attractive except a strong arm.

I obviously don't share the same confidence in how well Marve reads defences as you do, or how good he's looked in TC...in training camp.

This is why he has to show progress in any chance he gets in pre-season games.

Listen, I like the way Marve ad-libbed his way through his playing time last year, but I don't want my QBs to always be scrambling to make plays if he's missed his reads.

Marve wants to leave next year, and if Portis and Yantz show well in their time, it wouldn't bother me to see Marve leave earlier.

If hes always running for his life then ya its a problem. But hes not a pocket passer so maybe his reaction to what he sees is different and wants to move to make time or get himself in a better position.

Quarterbacking doesn't really work like that.  Everything is based on when he's throwing the ball and where he's going to be throwing the ball from.  There are designed rollouts, "scrambles," and there's just flying by the seat of your pants which is mostly what Marve did last year.  When it works it's exciting, like driving full speed towards the edge of the cliff and then slamming on your brakes before you go off the edge.  When you go off the edge, it's not that exciting.  Over the long haul it's not really a sustainable way to run an offence because it is extremely easy to defend, and that's why the vast majority of the scrambling QB's who can't really move the ball with their arm from the pocket fizzle out pretty quickly.

I need to see Marve make some plays in the pocket before I get excited about him as a legit CFL prospect.

Ya im not so sure about this.

Name a QB who you would categorize as a scrambling QB who had sustained success in the last two decades, 00's and 10's.

Kerry Joseph?  Casey Printers?  That's about it, and they had some pretty awful seasons losing their jobs.

I've been to 4 practices so far this year and Brohm has looked bad at 3 of them. The other he looked pretty good.

I recall he didn't look very good in most practices last year, but I thought he played well in the games he got into last season.

His stats were far from impressive. He had one decent game against Calgary, but even then the offence only managed to score 9 points under his lead. He had that one long completion to Denmark and followed it up with a fumble in the red zone. He was no good in the preseason either.

To be honest, I have no idea what his stats were in his games last year, I just recall from watching him that he moved the ball pretty efficiently and made good decisions. I'm thinking of his start at home where he ended up breaking his hand. He looked good that game.

To be honest, I have no idea what his stats were in his games last year, I just recall from watching him that he moved the ball pretty efficiently and made good decisions. I'm thinking of his start at home where he ended up breaking his hand. He looked good that game.

Yep that's the game I was talking about. The offence produced 9 points in the 37 minutes he played, while Marve's offence produced 14 (should have been 17) points. Brohm also committed a back breaking fumble in the red zone immediately after the flea flicker to Denmark.

Well, we may see how committed the team is to rewarding performance versus buddies. If Brohm isn't good enough to beat out Marve and Portis, he ought to be shown the door. Wally Buono may not make many BFFs among his players, but his teams are almost always competitive.

Apparently Marcel Bellefeuille has a bromance with Brohm so he's a lock as backup.

You say that based on what?

Penton said Bellefeuille is very high on Brohm, so it's unlikely anyone unseats him as backup.

Penton has said that the coaches are very high on a lot of players. Doesn't mean the coaches have a bromance with them.

Apparently Marcel Bellefeuille has a bromance with Brohm so he's a lock as backup.

You say that based on what?
Penton said Bellefeuille is very high on Brohm, so it's unlikely anyone unseats him as backup.

Penton has said that the coaches are very high on a lot of players. Doesn't mean the coaches have a bromance with them.

Call it whatever you want. Penton said its unlikely anyone unseats Brohm as backup because Marcel is high on him.

Wait so the guy who was #2 last year is impressing the coaches enough to not change the order? POLITICS!!!11!!!!

Brohm must have an attractive personality. I'm pretty sure Bellefeuille's history with Brohm goes a few years back. Woudn't be surprised if there was a bit of a bromance there. Also, the team probably doesn't want to look stupid for trading an asset to acquire him. 

Wait so the guy who was #2 last year is impressing the coaches enough to not change the order? POLITICS!!!11!!!!

Brohm must have an attractive personality. I'm pretty sure Bellefeuille's history with Brohm goes a few years back. Woudn't be surprised if there was a bit of a bromance there. Also, the team probably doesn't want to look stupid for trading an asset to acquire him.

Bellefeuille had already left Hamilton when the Ticats signed Brohm.

When Brohm went in for a half or so last year, he looked good. He got the ball off quick, and moved the ball, after Willie struggled.

Some people were asking for him to be the starter.

As I recall.

Yeah he was better than Willy against Edmonton when the game was already out of hand, but that's not saying much. The offence still struggled to put points on the board. Brohm thew 0 TDs and 1 interception. His yards-per-attempt was only of 6.6, which is simply not good enough. I'm sorry but I don't see much of anything in Brohm except a strong arm.

Brohm must have an attractive personality. I'm pretty sure Bellefeuille's history with Brohm goes a few years back. Woudn't be surprised if there was a bit of a bromance there. Also, the team probably doesn't want to look stupid for trading an asset to acquire him. 

The team is interested in winning games not justifying trades. I know a lot of people around here want Marve to be the man, and I'm a fan of the guy, I really am, I hope he does turn into a great player... but the fact remains that Brohm isn't a terrible option either and if the coaches like his work who are we to argue? He seems to be able to pass the ball pretty accurately from what I've seen of him. The only concern would be whether he's too immobile. Brohm being #2 isn't about politics at all in my estimation, simply about him being a more polished passer than Marve at this point. If Marve shows his ability to pass the ball from the pocket then he will undoubtedly climb the depth chart because of the added dimension of his mobility, but I don't know that he's there just yet simply because he hasn't been in a situation where he has had to show it yet. 

Based on the depth chart, the team isn't interested in winning the first pre season game so I hope there's lots of work for Brohm and Marve so the coaches can see which is the better choice for #2 QB.  The O line we're sending to TO is better for Marve's style of game than Brohm's.

Brohm 'isn't a terrible option' is hardly a glowing endorsement of our #2 QB.  I agree that it's his job to lose though.

Trying to turn Marve into a pocket passer is a horrible idea because it doesn't play to his strengths.  It would be like trying to turn Willy into a scrambler so he's not a one dimensional pocket QB.  Reilly scrambles and runs and is pretty darn effective.  I'd love to have that kind of change of pace at #2.

Trying to turn Marve into a pocket passer is a horrible idea because it doesn't play to his strengths.

Why do you keep bringing that up?

Nobody, but nobody, is trying to turn Marve into strictly a pocket passer. But what you are missing is the suggestion that Marve must be able to show the ability to pass from the pocket. There's a big difference.

Trying to turn Marve into a pocket passer is a horrible idea because it doesn't play to his strengths.  

Nobody, but nobody, is trying to turn Marve into strictly a pocket passer. But why you are missing is the suggestion that Marve must be able to show the ability to pass from the pocket. There's a big difference.

It's not me bringing it up.  I was replying to a post where the poster said that Marve needs to prove himself as a pocket passer.  That's pure bunk.  I'm not 'Missing anything', I'm disagreeing with the premise. 

There's more than one way to play QB effectively.  You're splitting hairs by using the word 'strictly'.  Marve is a scrambler with a big arm who's accurate on the run.  He doesn't just run the ball, he extends plays with his legs and throws.  That's something that most QB's can't do, Willy included.  Before anyone goes off about how I hate Willy or how I think Marve should be our starting QB, that's not what I'm saying.  Willy is our best pocket passer.  I have zero problems with him being our #1 QB.  I'd like to see him get pulled earlier in games he isn't being effective, but that's a coaching issue IMO, not a QB one.

Nobody, but nobody, is trying to turn Marve into strictly a pocket passer. But why you are missing is the suggestion that Marve must be able to show the ability to pass from the pocket. There's a big difference.

It's not me bringing it up.  I was replying to a post where the poster said that Marve needs to prove himself as a pocket passer.  That's pure bunk.  I'm not 'Missing anything', I'm disagreeing with the premise. 

There's more than one way to play QB effectively.  You're splitting hairs by using the word 'strictly'.  Marve is a scrambler with a big arm who's accurate on the run.  He doesn't just run the ball, he extends plays with his legs and throws.  That's something that most QB's can't do, Willy included.  Before anyone goes off about how I hate Willy or how I think Marve should be our starting QB, that's not what I'm saying.  Willy is our best pocket passer.  I have zero problems with him being our #1 QB.  I'd like to see him get pulled earlier in games he isn't being effective, but that's a coaching issue IMO, not a QB one.

OK, but what is the opposing defense just plays contain and keeps him in the pocket? Can he pass from the pocket? Cause that's all anyone is saying, if you can't pass from the pocket you won't do much in the CFL. It's Casey Printers syndrome. Don't let a guy use his legs he's gotta be able to beat your with his arm. 

If the opposing defence plays contain, they'll have to commit more players to the LOS.  That should open up receivers downfield.  The key is finding them and getting the ball to them.  Can Marve do that?  Don't know for sure yet, but he certainly has the arm for it.  

You want to compare Marve to Printers who looked like a world beater in Wally's offense which got him an NFL shot.  Marve's no where near that yet.  I'd compare him more to Reilly when he was in BC.  Not ready yet, but I've seen a spark that makes me want to see more.