TC Report Day 8

I wouldn't be too surprised, that after the dust settles, and barring no QB injuries, that Robert Marve might be the odd man out. This pre-season will be very important for ole no-knees.

That's ridiculous considering the way he played last year and so far in TC.

If anything, Brohm should be the odd man out, or relegated to third or fourth stringer duty. He's completely immobile and lacks accuracy. There's nothing about him that's attractive except a strong arm.

I obviously don't share the same confidence in how well Marve reads defences as you do, or how good he's looked in TC...in training camp.

This is why he has to show progress in any chance he gets in pre-season games.

Listen, I like the way Marve ad-libbed his way through his playing time last year, but I don't want my QBs to always be scrambling to make plays if he's missed his reads.

Marve wants to leave next year, and if Portis and Yantz show well in their time, it wouldn't bother me to see Marve leave earlier.

Portis looked good again today. Still need to see him in game action, but I'm starting to become comfortable with him as the backup.

Really? Cause i thought that he was noticably not as good as willy brohm or marve. Yeah he threw a few good balls but he also was missing a lot too. Came away a lot more impressed with the other qbs.

Portis looked good again today. Still need to see him in game action, but I'm starting to become comfortable with him as the backup.

Really? Cause i thought that he was noticably not as good as willy brohm or marve. Yeah he threw a few good balls but he also was missing a lot too. Came away a lot more impressed with the other qbs.

I thought Marve looked fine today but I thought Brohm struggled again.  Brohm often has trouble finding an open man, when the others QBs don't seem to be having the same problem.  Willy has looked good all TC.

I was there for the first and second scrimmage today.  Were you there for both?

I wouldn't be too surprised, that after the dust settles, and barring no QB injuries, that Robert Marve might be the odd man out. This pre-season will be very important for ole no-knees.

If anything, Brohm should be the odd man out, or relegated to third or fourth stringer duty. He's completely immobile and lacks accuracy. There's nothing about him that's attractive except a strong arm.

I obviously don't share the same confidence in how well Marve reads defences as you do, or how good he's looked in TC...in training camp.

Listen, I like the way Marve ad-libbed his way through his playing time last year, but I don't want my QBs to always be scrambling to make plays if he's missed his reads.

Marve wants to leave next year, and if Portis and Yantz show well in their time, it wouldn't bother me to see Marve leave earlier.

It's not so much confidence in Marve's abilities as it is intrigue... Though I am pretty confident of his superiority over Brohm. He showed very well last year in limited reps despite some difficult playing conditions. Take a look at how the Bombers starters played in Marve's two appearances. It's a little unfair to accuse him of "missing his reads" when he simply extended plays with his legs and generated a lot more offence than his counterparts could.

If hes always running for his life then ya its a problem. But hes not a pocket passer so maybe his reaction to what he sees is different and wants to move to make time or get himself in a better position.

If hes always running for his life then ya its a problem. But hes not a pocket passer so maybe his reaction to what he sees is different and wants to move to make time or get himself in a better position.

or he was flushed out and went into survival mode which is his bread and butter. .. problem is that this schtick only goes so far... also, incredibly low percentage for the most part.

You have to consider the context of the situation Marve was thrown into.  By seasons end Willy looked bloody awful waiting for the inevitable pocket collapse.  Marve had other options and he took advantage of them.  Give him an O-line that can provide a few seconds to find a receiver and we'll see how well he does.  In the upcoming pre-season games it's going to be critical that they give the 3 backups enough playing time to sort the pecking order out.   Both Brohm and Marve deserve a solid half to show their wares and weaknesses.

Quarterbacking doesn't really work like that.  Everything is based on when he's throwing the ball and where he's going to be throwing the ball from.  There are designed rollouts, "scrambles," and there's just flying by the seat of your pants which is mostly what Marve did last year.  When it works it's exciting, like driving full speed towards the edge of the cliff and then slamming on your brakes before you go off the edge.  When you go off the edge, it's not that exciting.  Over the long haul it's not really a sustainable way to run an offence because it is extremely easy to defend, and that's why the vast majority of the scrambling QB's who can't really move the ball with their arm from the pocket fizzle out pretty quickly.

I need to see Marve make some plays in the pocket before I get excited about him as a legit CFL prospect.

I thought Marve looked fine today but I thought Brohm struggled again. Brohm often has trouble finding an open man, when the others QBs don't seem to be having the same problem. Willy has looked good all TC.

I was there for the first and second scrimmage today. Were you there for both?

Yeah we were there all day today. Brohm did have some issues today but i think when he throws it's a lot more accurate than portis. Based on the two days i saw portis is the wprst of the three and marve might take the backup jpb from brphm but remains to be seen in the games. I suspect we start with willy brohm marve as 1-2-3

I'll never understand why folks want to make a scrambling QB into a pocket passer.  Scramblers can be very effective.  Flutie for example was a terrific scrambler.  He rarely won games from the pocket.  He moved the pocket around to gain extra time to throw.  Now, I'm not suggesting that Marve is Flutie like.  That would be dumb at this point in time.  I am, however, suggesting that a scrambling QB can get the job done if the offense is set up correctly.

I'll never understand why folks want to make a scrambling QB into a pocket passer.  Scramblers can be very effective.  Flutie for example was a terrific scrambler.  He rarely won games from the pocket.  He moved the pocket around to gain extra time to throw.  Now, I'm not suggesting that Marve is Flutie like.  That would be dumb at this point in time.  I am, however, suggesting that a scrambling QB can get the job done if the offense is set up correctly.

Yes, and if they can make timing throws when they are forced to by teams spying and crashing their ends not allowing them to scramble.  That's all I'm saying.  I'm all for a quarterback who can make plays on the move, but they gotta be able to pass too.  I'm not a fan of guys who rely on one thing, because it's easy for a defense to take that thing away, same goes for guys who can't keep a defense honest with their legs or move off their first read and just turn into statues in the pocket.

Marve has yet to show us an ability to be a passer in the CFL.  I love that he has loads of confidence, but he needs some steak with the sizzle.

Mike Reilly is a good example of a guy who prefers to be on the move but can do damage from the pocket too.

I thought Marve looked fine today but I thought Brohm struggled again. Brohm often has trouble finding an open man, when the others QBs don't seem to be having the same problem. Willy has looked good all TC.

I was there for the first and second scrimmage today. Were you there for both?

Yeah we were there all day today. Brohm did have some issues today but i think when he throws it's a lot more accurate than portis. Based on the two days i saw portis is the wprst of the three and marve might take the backup jpb from brphm but remains to be seen in the games. I suspect we start with willy brohm marve as 1-2-3
I agree with that pecking order to start the season. I'm thinking more next season when Marve is gone, and Brohm an unknown, that I'd be comfortable with Portis as backup. But obviously need to see him in game action still.

Quarterbacking doesn't really work like that.  Everything is based on when he's throwing the ball and where he's going to be throwing the ball from.  There are designed rollouts, "scrambles," and there's just flying by the seat of your pants which is mostly what Marve did last year.  When it works it's exciting, like driving full speed towards the edge of the cliff and then slamming on your brakes before you go off the edge.  When you go off the edge, it's not that exciting.  Over the long haul it's not really a sustainable way to run an offence because it is extremely easy to defend, and that's why the vast majority of the scrambling QB's who can't really move the ball with their arm from the pocket fizzle out pretty quickly.

I need to see Marve make some plays in the pocket before I get excited about him as a legit CFL prospect.

Ya im not so sure about this.

I don't like one dimensional QB's, but I can't say that Marve's a one dimensional QB yet.  He had very little choice but to move around last year because of the O line.  I don't think that means he can't read a defense.  I suppose it could be true, but there isn't enough evidence either way yet.  

QB's need to do what they do well to be competitive.  Marve uses his feet and throws very well on the move.  He has the arm to throw from the pocket for sure, but I don't think that's the way to use his best attributes.  I don't think he will get a sniff in the NFL next year, no matter what he wants unless he starts for most of the season and plays lights out.  I have no expectation that either will be true.  I could see him as the #2 this year if Brohm flames out.

I just didn't see anything from Portis to impress me. Too innaccurate and tries to just tuck and run too much. Wouldn't be comfortable with that guy at all

Overall Portis has looked better to me than Brohm has. Portis really stood out to me early on in camp. Maybe less so this past weekend, but I still thought he looked good.