A couple Bomber moves today...

gbill2004

84 players on the roster right now.  Need to be down to 75 by tomorrow apparently.  Some guys might be non-counters, particularly Reaves, Pierre, Everett, and Griffiths.  I'm not sure though, I can't remember the exact rules surrounding non-counters.  Either way, they're going to have to ship out a few more guys in the coming days.

84 players on the roster right now.  Need to be down to 75 by tomorrow apparently.  Some guys might be non-counters, particularly Reaves, Pierre, Everett, and Griffiths.  I'm not sure though, I can't remember the exact rules surrounding non-counters.  Either way, they're going to have to ship out a few more guys in the coming days.

Does Millington and Bastien qualifies as non-counters as well ?

Ok here's what I found.

As defined in the CFL By-laws, modified by the Section 14.02 of the CBA, teams are limited to 75 players under contract during the off-season. Training camp roster sizes are set at 68 players plus any non-counting players (current year's draft picks, two additional non-counter players, previous year draft picks which have never attended a professional training camp and any junior player). Non-counter players are defined as:

1. Players who have graduated from junior football and are within the club's territorial rights.
  2. A current year draft eligible player who was undrafted.
  3. A player who had been eligible for the preceding year's draft or one who may have been treated as a non-counter in the previous year's camp, provided that he has not participated in a CFL regular season or post-season game

https://cfldb.ca/faq/rosters/#how-many-players-in-the-cfl

Lotsa DBs which is great, I know we have em, but who's playing where at LB? That's my only concern about the Defence this season.

Like Floyd said, our SAM will likely come from the collection of DBs. MLB will almost certainly be Sam Hurl. That leaves the WILL LB, which will be one of the rookie American LBs on our roster right now. Benton, Lamar, Tate, Wilson, Nixon.

Or we could go with a Canadian at WILL and one of the Americans at MLB. But that seems less likely to me.

WINNIPEG, MB., April 30, 2015 – The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announce today the club has released the following International players:

WR Derrick Hector

WR Lavon Downs

WR Kashif Montgomery

LB C.J. Wilson

LB Shamari Benton

DB Jarrid Bryant

DB Keon Lyn

DB Sam Miller

DB David Van Dyke

DE Justin Oxendine

Surprised they cut Downs, thought they'd give him and Wilson a chance after they JUST signed them.

Not surprised by Montgomery.

Bryant + Benton I thought were early front runners but the roster has improved since their signings.

They do have only 74 guys now and I think Reaves is a non-counter so they have at least 1 and maybe 2 more roster spots to fill.

Surprised they cut Downs, thought they'd give him and Wilson a chance after they JUST signed them.

Bryant + Benton I thought were early front runners but the roster has improved since their signings.

They do have only 74 guys now and I think Reaves is a non-counter so they have at least 1 and maybe 2 more roster spots to fill.

Reaves should be a counter since his draft year was more than 2 years ago.

Griffins is the only non-counter assuming he has never been to another CFL camp before ( I don't believe he has )

So that means the Bombers have 2 open spots on the TC Roster.

Griffins is the only non-counter assuming he has never been to another CFL camp before ( I don't believe he has )

How do you figure Reaves' draft year was more than two years ago? It was 2014 by my count.

How do you figure Reaves' draft year was more than two years ago? It was 2014 by my count.

Well I am not sure what his draft year would be because he didn't play football so I assumed that it would be based on his Junior Football age which would have been 22 years old , he is 25 now so that is more than 2 years ago. It could be the Bombers need to a ruling to see if he would be exempt from counting towards the roster limit of 75 this year.

Really interesting to see the approach of the Bombers compared to other teams. As far as I can tell, no one else had a big cut down today. The Lions aren't even close to the roster limit.

Yes I looked at a number of other teams and most teams are well below 75 , Sask is another example of a team well below the limit. I think it depends on how much a team needs to improve, the Bombers clearly need to improve in so many areas that they need to bring in as many players as possible. If they start to have more success in the next few years maybe they will be closer to the minimum of 68 players....

I didn't think RB was a spot that was considered to be a hole.... but the staff I guess sees otherwise because we got some mad competition there. Cottons going to have to really earn it again this year.

Really looks like we're going with the thunder and lightning approach as well.

Like the looks of Ryan Steed. Looks like a solid recruit for DB.... seems to be a position of scouting strength for our staff.

The only release I was surprised by was Benton. Thought he was going to be a stud up here

It really depends what the bombers want in their RB, Cotton lit it up when he got his chance, but... refresh my memory here, is he a good blocking running back? Can he light it up consistently, I think he can but do the bombers? Honestly, the way i see the RB position, unless you find that Charles Roberts type franchise running back, you always gotta keep looking because RB has got to be the most easiest position to find players for. Tons of RB's out there really, Cotton might be the best one of the bunch this year, maybe he's not. Even if you do find that Roberts type of franchise running back, you still gotta keep looking cuz eventually you will find someone who is better it seems. Just look at the amount of RB's we have used since Blink went away, Joe Smith,Chris Garrett,Fred Reid, Grigsby,Cotton, probably missing one or 2 also, no, i'm not counting dorzon or whatever his name was lol.. and for the record, none were as good as Roberts but It's an easy position to fill and i suppose when you think about it, In the SMS era, I'm not sure what Cotton is being paid, no idea but... if one of the rookies come in and is better than him? You probably save some cash. 

As for Benton, was shocked to see that too but... on the other site, the official one, a couple videos were posted in a topic and Benton did not look very good at all... yeah it was only a few seconds long but... makes one wonder if the rest of his mini camp went like that too. 

Well I am not sure what his draft year would be because he didn't play football so I assumed that it would be based on his Junior Football age which would have been 22 years old , he is 25 now so that is more than 2 years ago. It could be the Bombers need to a ruling to see if he would be exempt from counting towards the roster limit of 75 this year.

It would be logical to assume his senior year in Brandon would count as his draft year, so he should be a non.  Of course, based on the precedents set, it would also be logical to assume the CFL consistently doing illogical things is part of the league charter.