Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

15 hours ago, 17to85 said:

He can write, just a narrow scope of things and since he really went heavy into the pot he started doing some weird stuff.

I think he can write like a million high school creative writing class students can write.  Even his best films are really rough and amateurish in many ways.  He's definitely a guy who is vastly over-rated.

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I am curious to check it out but the first war was a bit light on story anyway, I would much rather see a movie focussed on Arthas cause that's a good story

I'm new to the whole Warcraft Lore, other then playing the WoW game.  So the one negative thing I can say about the movie was that I felt a bit confused at times, as they kind of just throw you into the fray without knowing any backstory, which I read about afterwards.  So I was able to get what was going on.

If he can continue doing these movies, I'm sure they'll get to Arthas and how he became the Lich King eventually.

I'm a Kevin Smith fan for sure. His Canadian Trilogy (Tusk/Yoga Hosers/Moose Jaws) is really ******* weird, and clearly something that required a lot of weed to create, but his other stuff is great. I just watched Chasing Amy for the first time this weekend and I get why people like it, but Clerks, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob, Clerks 2 and Zac and Miri are absolutely my favourites by far. Love those flicks. 

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I think he can write like a million high school creative writing class students can write.  Even his best films are really rough and amateurish in many ways.  He's definitely a guy who is vastly over-rated.

Don't confuse writing with directing though, as a director yeah he's got a lot of issues and he admits that himself, but as far as writing goes he's solid. It's a niche thing he does but that doesn't affect the overall quality of it either. 

2 hours ago, Logan007 said:

I'm new to the whole Warcraft Lore, other then playing the WoW game.  So the one negative thing I can say about the movie was that I felt a bit confused at times, as they kind of just throw you into the fray without knowing any backstory, which I read about afterwards.  So I was able to get what was going on.

If he can continue doing these movies, I'm sure they'll get to Arthas and how he became the Lich King eventually.

You can find most of the lore in the universe just through some digging in WoW anyway but yeah the bulk of that comes from Warcraft 3 (which was made the way it was with the intent of setting up WoW so it makes sense) The first game really was just Orcs vs. Humans, the extent of the story was basically orcs are coming through the portal and invading we have to stop them or alternately we're orcs, let's conquer this world. Everything else in the lore they added after the fact. 

I've heard plenty of people say they enjoyed the movie and lots say it was terrible, the most general consensus seems to be that it's a fine movie and the CGI is quite well done but the first act has a lot of pacing problems where too much is thrown at you too quickly. So I'll probably check it out at some point, hooray for going to a theatre by yourself cause absolutely no one else that I know would possibly be interested in seeing it. 

28 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Don't confuse writing with directing though, as a director yeah he's got a lot of issues and he admits that himself, but as far as writing goes he's solid. It's a niche thing he does but that doesn't affect the overall quality of it either. 

Im not.  His writing is very rough and amateurish.  He occasionally hits on an idea that allows for an easier writing gig.  Personally, my favorites are Chasing Amy (which is a really great move but also has some rough moments) and Zack & Miri.  The rest are garbage.   To each his own though!  I guess his better films are helped in large part due to having better actors.

39 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

You can find most of the lore in the universe just through some digging in WoW anyway but yeah the bulk of that comes from Warcraft 3 (which was made the way it was with the intent of setting up WoW so it makes sense) The first game really was just Orcs vs. Humans, the extent of the story was basically orcs are coming through the portal and invading we have to stop them or alternately we're orcs, let's conquer this world. Everything else in the lore they added after the fact. 

I've heard plenty of people say they enjoyed the movie and lots say it was terrible, the most general consensus seems to be that it's a fine movie and the CGI is quite well done but the first act has a lot of pacing problems where too much is thrown at you too quickly. So I'll probably check it out at some point, hooray for going to a theatre by yourself cause absolutely no one else that I know would possibly be interested in seeing it. 

Yes, that's it exactly.  It felt like too much was thrown at me at once right at the beginning.  Not enough of an explanation.  I think they could have fixed that with a better montage at the beginning kind of going over what was happening and what was going on.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Im not.  His writing is very rough and amateurish.  He occasionally hits on an idea that allows for an easier writing gig.  Personally, my favorites are Chasing Amy (which is a really great move but also has some rough moments) and Zack & Miri.  The rest are garbage.   To each his own though!  I guess his better films are helped in large part due to having better actors.

Chasing Amy isn't all that great anyway, Clerks is rough because it was done on a shoe string budget but it's a pretty good film regardless and clerks 2 is a favourite as well. Jay and Silent Bob strike back never fails to make me laugh, same with Zack and Miri, Dogma also. It's not deep stuff and the writing is done in a certain way to facilitate back and forth dialogue but that's his thing and if you don't like it that's fine but it doesn't make it bad writing. 

Just now, 17to85 said:

Chasing Amy isn't all that great anyway, Clerks is rough because it was done on a shoe string budget but it's a pretty good film regardless and clerks 2 is a favourite as well. Jay and Silent Bob strike back never fails to make me laugh, same with Zack and Miri, Dogma also. It's not deep stuff and the writing is done in a certain way to facilitate back and forth dialogue but that's his thing and if you don't like it that's fine but it doesn't make it bad writing. 

Opinions differ ofcourse.  I thought Clerks 1 & 2 were both terrible.  Its not difficult to write really offensive stuff for shock value.  Kevin Smith just strikes me as a guy who does that.   Like a hack comedian who rattles off racist or offensive jokes.  Anyone can do that.

In Clerks, you gotta love that opening shot of Dante falling out of the closet.  No explanation, just a cold open of a guy tumbling out of a closet to answer a phone call from his ******* friend.  And the rooftop hockey game is inspired.

The rest of it is pretty whatever tho.

See, it's the dialogue that does it for me....the dialogue in Kevin Smith movies is very real to me. While I'm the farthest thing from a comic book/star wars nerd, the way they have those conversations feels extremely real to me. I suppose it's a personal thing, but the "type of humour" Smitty goes for, is definitely my kinda humour. When he teamed up with the Judd Apatow crew for Zac n Miri, it was the meeting of two of my favourite worlds. Loved it...(*note*: Aside from the normally-amazing Craig Robinson's insipid "Love...ain't it grand..." line at the end)

24 minutes ago, Noeller said:

See, it's the dialogue that does it for me....the dialogue in Kevin Smith movies is very real to me. While I'm the farthest thing from a comic book/star wars nerd, the way they have those conversations feels extremely real to me. I suppose it's a personal thing, but the "type of humour" Smitty goes for, is definitely my kinda humour. When he teamed up with the Judd Apatow crew for Zac n Miri, it was the meeting of two of my favourite worlds. Loved it...(*note*: Aside from the normally-amazing Craig Robinson's insipid "Love...ain't it grand..." line at the end)

But you gotta give it to him for the response to "if you could do it all over again?"

"I'd live by myself and jerk off"

18 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Posts like the last few that shows this site needs a DISLIKE button!  ;-)

LOL

I don't know Noeller.  Some of the dialogue seems pretty far off to me depending which movie.  Like Mallrats was out in left field.

32 minutes ago, Noeller said:

They're calling the TV Show "Mall Brats"...I'm looking forward to it. Seems Smitty has a taste for the small screen now, after doing some work for "The Shirtless Boy Network"'s The Flash...

I don't know what that means.

it's a thing from his live podcast taping "Jay And Silent Bob Get Old"....we went to a live taping in Calgary that they did a few weeks ago. Was pretty funny. It's what him and Mewes call The WB.....

when clerks was converted to a cartoon is wasnt very good. I dont have high hopes for a mall rats spin off show.  its just been too long since the movie, and imo the movie at the time was a very relatable view on teenage life (crashing the mall) I dont think kids do that as much these days

12 minutes ago, Logan007 said:

Ah ok.  Didn't know they ever did a podcasts 

actually has a couple I think....one I think is called SMODCast or something, and one is the JNSBGO one, but yeah, he's pretty active in all that. Also hosts that "Comic Book Men" show on AMC...

1 minute ago, Noeller said:

actually has a couple I think....one I think is called SMODCast or something, and one is the JNSBGO one, but yeah, he's pretty active in all that. Also hosts that "Comic Book Men" show on AMC...

Right, I knew about the YouTube channel, although I never watch it because he just over acts way too much. But I do like watching him every once in a while.