Upcoming Movies

Taynted_Fayth

Saw Civil War.  Some non-spoilery stuff:

I thought it was enjoyable, entertaining and fun.  They have their formula down, the cast are all strong, sweet and have great chemistry.  I like that Marvel isnt afraid to really keep building their world and if you come into Civil War cold, you wont understand half of what's going on.  That's good in that it rewards fans and connects the films and makes them matter.

It was not "great cinema" by any stretch and I would say it wasnt one of their best films.  Almost formulaic but not so much in a bad way.  Just a familiar way. 

Some spoilery stuff (Ill make a new thread to avoid a series of eyeball posts).

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

All of the Marvel films have been formulaic though, it's kind of a big thing in the genre. Their best movies have been formulaic, but I think that's the point, people like the formula. 

Yeah, but when you see it I think you'll know what I mean.  Having the formula down is good.  The films all feel like they share a universe.  But this one just seemed like...when it was done nothing had really happened.

Marvel Studios and Disney’s Captain America: Cvil War launched to a mighty $181.8million in North America, kicking off the summer box office in high style and scoring the fifth-best opening of all time, as well as the top launch of 2016 to date.

Overseas, where it began opening last weekend, Civil War took in another $220 million for a foreign total of $496.6 million and worldwide haul of $678 million after just 12 days in release. Directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, Civil War is all but assured of becoming the first release of 2016 to jump the $1 billion mark at the worldwide box office.

Early review...can't say im that surprised.

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/x-men-apocalypse-review-jennifer-lawrence-michael-fassbender-oscar-isaac-1201768577/

https://us.yahoo.com/movies/x-men-apocalypse-review-mutant-overload-211844737.html

Also some news about Wolverine 3...

The Deadpool effect can no longer be denied. The forthcoming Wolverine 3, which will sadly mark Hugh Jackman's last turn as the clawed mutant, has officially secured its long-rumored R rating.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Early review...can't say im that surprised.

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/x-men-apocalypse-review-jennifer-lawrence-michael-fassbender-oscar-isaac-1201768577/

https://us.yahoo.com/movies/x-men-apocalypse-review-mutant-overload-211844737.html

Also some news about Wolverine 3...

The Deadpool effect can no longer be denied. The forthcoming Wolverine 3, which will sadly mark Hugh Jackman's last turn as the clawed mutant, has officially secured its long-rumored R rating.

A more flattering review from Kirkland of Postmedia.  Although I take it with a grain of salt since he puts Lawrence up on a pedestal in the opening headline... (not really a JLaw fan in these movies or maybe I just dig Romijn's take on Mystique more than hers)

http://jam.canoe.com/Movies/Reviews/X/X_Men_Apocalypse/2016/05/09/22631472.html

12 hours ago, Brandon Blue&Gold said:

A more flattering review from Kirkland of Postmedia.  Although I take it with a grain of salt since he puts Lawrence up on a pedestal in the opening headline... (not really a JLaw fan in these movies or maybe I just dig Romijn's take on Mystique more than hers)

http://jam.canoe.com/Movies/Reviews/X/X_Men_Apocalypse/2016/05/09/22631472.html

I'm with you.  I like Rebecca more then Jlaw.  I actually haven't seen anything with her in it that I enjoy.  She annoys me in all movies.

Im not a huge X-men guys so Im more of a laymen.  Havent seen the movie yet.  I really liked Days of Future Past.  If I understand correctly, First Class was meant as a new "re-booted" franchise, so Days had to connect the two and did a really good, in my humble opinion.  Looking forward to seeing the new film but even if its good, it will look worse off next to Captain America.

I think the R rating speaks more to the freedom to deliver an adult story without dumbing it down.  And ofcourse, if the R rating isnt a hindrance then why not?  Probably indicates the core audience is 18+ and the 14-17 will see it one way or another anyway.  Im sure many parents will take their kids.  If it's R for violence and language, most people seem cool with that.  As long as no one is naked.  Dont want the teenagers to see what a naked human looks like.  Watching a human get eviscerated is fine though.  ;-)

The R rating will only be for Wolverine, probably for extreme violence.  They won't R rate any of the other franchises unless it's needed.

I don't think it's the Teenagers that most people are worried about.  It's the idiots that bring in their 7 and 8 year old's to watch Deadpool take it up the rear.

The problem with Deadpool is that studios will take the wrong lesson from it. They'll think that an R rating and some 4th wall breaking and lots of violence and language are what people want and will churn out crap that checks off the boxes. What Deadpool was though, was fun. It worked because it was Deadpool and because it's pretty much THE role Ryan Reynolds does. Doesn't mean every superhero movie needs to be like it, but watch, they'll try because "well it worked before"

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

The problem with Deadpool is that studios will take the wrong lesson from it. They'll think that an R rating and some 4th wall breaking and lots of violence and language are what people want and will churn out crap that checks off the boxes. What Deadpool was though, was fun. It worked because it was Deadpool and because it's pretty much THE role Ryan Reynolds does. Doesn't mean every superhero movie needs to be like it, but watch, they'll try because "well it worked before"

Waiting for the announcement that the Green Lantern in JLA will be Guy Gardner....

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

Agree with this. Deadpool worked as an R movie because it was Deadpool. Just like Jackman and Downey Jr., Reynolds was THE guy for the role. But if they just make more of the movies R rated "because", they won't work. Not sure I think Wolverine will work as well as an R rated movie.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If I understand correctly, First Class was meant as a new "re-booted" franchise, so Days had to connect the two and did a really good, in my humble opinion.

I would say Days was the reboot as it changed everything post early 70's thus wiping out every other XMen movie except for XM-FC.

21 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Serious question for people who've seen Murca this weekend...... Can I watch SHIELD tonight without having seen Murca, or should I wait and see the movie first?

Well, since we haven't seen the SHIELD show yet, it's hard to say.  They did say it will tie in a bit into something they had to deal with in the movie.  But I'm not sure how much. 

Captain America was aMAHzing btw.